Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire StingoSamuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo
4.09/5
Exceptional
Samuel Smith's Yorkshire StingoSamuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by mdagnew on 12-22-2008

4.94/5  rDev +20.8%

4.91/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Cloudy amber-brown body, two finger white head.

Smell: Fresh bread, honey, dark fruits.

Taste: See above, but add rich caramel.

Feel: Medium body and carbonation, slight alcohol burn.

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

First off, it's got a great dark copper color with a slight haze and a yellowish-tan head that dissipates fairly quick. Nose is sweet with pronounced hop and fruit characters and a background of leather. Starts off with an oaken malty spiciness that progresses to some nice flavoring hops, then some slightly roasted and nutty characters before finishing with an alcoholic warmth and lingering floral bitterness reminiscent of a lambic. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly effervescent, almost like a bubbly cognac. This beer is extremely drinkable and balanced. It's a great example of what an old ale can strive to be; there's a fine balance between an old ale, english barleywine, and flander's ale. If you have a chance to purchase a bottle, get two!

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

I've been saving this one for a special occasion, and tonight was the night. I had high expectations, and it exceeded them.

Fairly dark, looks similar to a brown ale.

Smells fruity, a bit like raisins.

Flavors of caramel, plum, and oak. The oak is *very* strong in this one.

Mouthfeel is rather light for this size of beer, and drinkability is OUTSTANDING. I'd never guess it was 8% ABV.

All in all, I really wish I had more than one bottle of the stuff. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for it in the future.

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

550ml bottle given to me by a supplier.

Pours a nice medium brown with a red hue. Big fluffy and slightly rocky head. lasted all the way down to the bottom of the glass and left lots of lacing.

Nose is complex as you'd expect. Spicy with stone fruit, fruit cake, cherries, stewed apples and cloves.

Palate is complex and very full bodied with dark stone fruit, fruit cake, cherries, vermouth/sherry notes, apple pie and cloves.

Mouth is lovely - very creamy and full.

Overall this is a wonderful beer. Very well made, well-balanced, huge flavours and looks amazing. A real experience. This is a 'Stingo' a unique style of English Ale.

Highly recommended

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

I could have sworn this was an old ale. I'm not sure why it's listed as an English Strong ale. It certainly tastes like an old ale and was barrel aged for a year. The primary difference I noticed was that it was the best old ale I had ever tasted. This thing was like a meal in a glass, which was perfect because I was HUNGRY at the time. Each sip was like the next bite into a hamburger. It was quite sweet, with flavours of rotting fruits, but it was also malty and earthy at the same time, but not in a sweet Belgian brew sort of way. It was a tiny bit sour like someone added a few drops of warcestershire sauce into the beer and had an umami flavour to it as well. These are really what distinguished it as tasting meal-like. It could easily vie for the position of the most well-balanced high-alcohol sweet beer that I've ever had. Though Boulevard's dark truth and probably a couple others would still provide stiff competition. This beer definitely exceeded my expectations. I knew it must be good, but it was absolutely astounding. Only 11 oz of it really made my night.

4.82/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer #600!!

A- This is a very muddy looking brew, with rich light brown, copper/bronze, red and orange tones throughout. The head is small, off white and soap like bubbles permeating! The carbonation appears to be very refined and from what I can see, there seems to be a fair bit of it too! Retention appears to be quite good and the lacing is good as well....plenty of small bubbly goodness hangs around the glass after a good swirl. I also love how much stubborn yeast is layered in the bottom of the bottle....it doesn't want to come out but with a lot of work, I will be consuming it!

S- Dark dried fruits like fig/golden raisin and malted chocolate are immediately upfront....creamed coffee, yeasty bread, toffee/caramel malt sweetness throughout and the finish is robust, lingering and sweet as well. This makes me think it will be a sweet syrupy brew!

T- Full cream, yeast, milky chocolate, caramel, butterscotch and a touch of mocha are all dominant flavors right away without even thinking about it. Underlying hints of old rummy oak barrel, fig, buttery Christmas pudding....almost dessert like, but the finish makes sure that you taste the fine hop cones used to round it out. Overall a superbly blended flavor profile....UNBELIEVABLE!

M/O- This is full bodied, with exquisitely smooth carbonation and the booze is non-existent....now I've been aging this one for a good 4 years and like a fine wine, this one is worthy and I'm guessing, is much better with some age! Anyone who has this ought to try putting it away and give it a go down the road.....you will not be disappointed! My expectation was always high for this one and Sam Smith did not disappoint! Will most definitely seek out again, and I need a long vacation to Tadcaster!!

4.79/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Deep caramel/amber color that's very cloudy. Bits of yeast visible. One finger, creamy, tan head. No lace

S: Sweet malt and hops, neither which overpowers the other. Spicy in the middle with hints of gingerbread. It's a 9% but the alcohol doesn't dominate.

T: Wow, incredibly smooth but with a ton of flavor. Initial taste is sweet, then spiced with a touch of nuttiness at the finish. Also bits of cookie and apricot

M: Again, very smooth. Highly carbonated but it never takes away from the full-body.

O: Complex. This is the best beer I've had in at least 6-8 months. It's > $15 but well worth the price.

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Notes from 6-10-10 - poured into a pint glass - 550ml./ 1 pt. 2.7 fl. oz - capped bottle - cellared from summer 2009

Appearance: Pours a hazy, caramel apple with a thick, foamy, cream head that dissipates to thin. Not much lacing.

Smell: Rich, sweet, malt aroma with notes of dark fruits (raisins and plums), vanilla, and hints of caramel and oak.

Taste: Sweet malt, oak, vanilla, a hint of cherry tartness and a dry fruitiness. The alcohol provides complexity to the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to low carbonation. It pours over the palate with a syrupy sweetness and warming alcohol.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. A great beer that changes dramatically as it is cellared.

Comments: I was able to procure several bottles and cellar this beer, noting the changes along the way. I believe this beer peaked about six months into the cellaring process. I'm glad I had the chance to experiment with this beer. It really shows that there are pros and cons to cellaring.

Pairs well with venison.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color- hazy caramel. Slight head.

Aroma- Christmas cake and caramelized pears.

Taste- Deep and rich with Christmas cake, mild vanilla and Spanish oak flavors finishing with a lingering silky plum liqueur. This is a unique and quality brew!

Poured from 550 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass).

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

550mL bottle. says brewed 2008 and aged a year in oak barrels before bottling. so I guess bottled sometime in 2009.

a cloudy orangish dark amber color. tight tiny bubbles form a creamy looking 1/2" head. good lacing, and the head stays to the bottom of the glass.

aroma is sweet and spicy, caramel, raisins. taste is fruity, yet spicy and herbal at the same time. all malt, no hops. very complex and tasty.

mouthfeel is extremely smooth. no trace of the increased ABV, and especially tasty beer.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm not really going to go into what I got on flavor or aroma, but if you dig trying to figure out what your tasting, this is THE BEER to experience that with. The taste is complex more so than my girlfriend and I (who I do all of my tastings with) have ever experienced. Just as a teaser: tangerine, lemon/lime, white raisin, white/green grape, cranberry/prune, white bread. It's fun as hell just to try and figure out what you're tasting. Highly recommended. I would unquestionably buy this again. Two fans, through and through, were made tonight. Can't wait to try their entire line-up (especially the stouts!).

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a sam smiths pint glass with a 1 finger off white head. Smells of caramel and stonefruit, Tastes of peaches apricots and vanilla with other lurking flavors like oak and plum and I'm surprised that I'm not getting the stony flavor that I've gotten from those yorkshire squares in some of their other offerings most likely due to the oak barrel aging after the yorkshire squares. Mouthfeel is creamy and warming at the same time. Its wonderful to drink and I'm glad I got 2, I will be getting at least 2 more so they can warm me up in those northeast winter months.

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)