Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire StingoSamuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by mdagnew on 12-22-2008

1.3/5  rDev -68.2%

Thanks to the staff @ IBS

Reviewed from memory

Pours an admittedly not unattractive amber with reasonable head and lacing.

Smell is a vile conglomerate of Belgian yeast and the English barleywine malt and hop profile I hate so much.

Taste is much the same, amber malt sweetness coming through more so.

Mouthfeel is somewhat astringent and even here those Belgian esters are rearing their ugly head.

Overall: Distinctly unpleasant beer, even independently of the price. Brings out the worst aspects of both Belgian and English brewing. Didn't really get a sense of the barrel. I really hated this beer deeply and drainpoured the vast majority of the bottle.

1.87/5  rDev -54.3%

Aroma- fresh cut apples, yellow raisins, and seriously...radish. Very fresh and appealing. Very faint oxidative note if you look for it but hides well behind the more in-your-face nose salad. overall very appealing aroma.

Appearance- Lively carbonation, big creamy head with excellent retention, and poor clarity are all unexpected for the style. ruddy maple color. Once again, unusual for old ale, but appealing none the less.

Taste and mouthfeel - Quite sherry-like. Heavy malt sweetness draws flavor sensations to the tip of the tounge but solventy alcohol carries grassy hop flavor into the nose, making both disharmony and distraction. Sam Smith's trademark acetylaldehyde ester (usually endearing in my book) is not helping the situation and becomes rather shrill at this ABV. If you you can clear your mind of all this and force some beer to the mid palate, you can glean some notes of pear and a very thin caramel tone, but it is kind of lost in the mess. Medium-full bodied with high levels of carbonation but you won't notice that with astringent, even tannic, dryness bludgeoning your entire mouth through the painfully long finish and aftertaste. Yikes.

Overall- This is like somebody's first high ABV homebrew. I am usually a big fan of this brewery and the old ale style so I was really psyched when I finally got my hands on a bottle and paid pretty handsomely for it. I was ready to love this brew all night long but most of it will be destined for the drain. It really pains me to slam a Sam Smith beer when I so often defend them to other beer nerds, but this is just bad news. If you are an English Old ale fan, Fuller's vintage is cheaper, easier to find, and far superior.

2.25/5  rDev -45%

Appears with light just slightly dakrer than yellow pouring from the bottle, leaving me less than impressed, what did I buy? In the glass a SLIGHT haze, and a mix of ruby and orange color. A light beige head forms, with impressively sticky lacing given the oak that is supposed to be here.

A strong amber beer aroma, mixed with oak and vanilla, with a sharp citrus hop finish. After sitting out the citrus melds in and there are hops but they are hard to really discern from the oak and malt.

I am not sure what style or hell what I’m drinking here. This brings out notes of a strong ale in body and certain characteristics I can’t really describe and I associated with such styles. The oak reminds me of some bourbon barrel aged ales where the oak notes seem out of place, the vanilla doesn’t blending, and the use of hops just don’t’ make senses.

Well carbonated, the body is rather nice for 9% and it is far more drinkable than expected.

I don’t get this beer at all. The oak flavors are off putting. The hops and the malt don’t work at all with this oak. I would like to read what others think but this is perhaps one of the worst uses of oak I’ve had. As it warms it just is too sweet, and the oak doesn’t work anymore than to start. I don’t get this love at all. Value is a part of this score at 12 bucks it really doesn't help anything!

2.49/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2

Was very excited to pop this open amongst friends. However the bottle that was dated 2013 was most definitely infected. Horribly sour finish. I know its not fair to judge on one bad bottle - it happens. I will revisit and update my review at some time.

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.66/5  rDev -35%

Ugh. Murky dark rusty color.

Aromas of caramel, brown sugar and stewed fruit.

Same on flavor plus yeasty alcohol bite.

full bodied with slightly bitter-sweet/ sour finish.

Can you believe this stuff? For the fat, clumsy, and unfocused character of this beer, it's a cardinal sin to pay what they are asking for this beer.

I am fully dismayed and bummed.

2.82/5  rDev -31.1%

I just realized I saw the brewed date and it was 2010. At first I thought the brew could have been an one off bad one, but the brewed date is from last year. Correct me if I'm wrong and if so beer mail me, but a beer from last year regardless of the 8.0% abv won't be that good. Now on to my review....

Appearance - reddish brown color with NO head whatsoever. I got a thin centimeter thick head with very very little to no carbonation at all. (I was surprised to have no head and I vigorously poured it into a duvel tulip glass.) Not sure what went on here.

Aroma - I get at first a strong raspberry scent, some caramel and raisin, toffee, and even some vanilla scents all through and well balanced, and get some oak with some alcohol coming through.

Taste - I got raisins, some sweet caramel, oak as well as the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation like a beer should have, oily, light bodied, watery mouthfeel on the finish. not dry at all.

Overall - I got another one of these and I'm going to try it in a few days or weeks. if it's different than I will know it was just that one bottle. If not then this beer, brewed in 2010, definitely lost its carbonation over time.

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

550ml bottle drank from my samuel adams perfect pint glass. bottled in 09 is typed on the back label.

A- this one pours out of the bottle a darkish amber colored body with a decent sized eggshell colored head on top. the head has nice retention and leaves behind small rings of lacing.

S- the nose starts out with plenty of caramel and biscuit malts and quickly moves into a small amount of nuttiness and vanilla (from the oak barrel). there is a small amounts of spicy hops at the end.

T- the taste starts out with the sweet caramel and biscuit malts i could smell. the vanilla from the barrel comes through alot stronger in the taste than the smell. the nuttiness i could smell is nowhere to be found. im able to taste some cherries, dates, and figs i couldnt pick up in the nose. there are some spicy hops at the end.

M- this is a solidly medium sized body with ample carbonation. there is a slight warming from the alcohol.

D- this one has lots in common with a barleywine. i think it was just OK. i dont think i will ever drop another $13 on a second bottle. pretty mediocre if you ask me. too strong to consider having another one.

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

Cloudy, copper-amber color, fruity caramel smell with a hint of booze, and all downhill from there. The bottle indicated "Brewed in 2012", so this one should have been well conditioned. I get the fruit and caramel flavors other reviewers seem to love, but the finish is sour and unpleasant. Maybe this is an acquired taste, but, at the price, I don't plan to acquire it.

3.12/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance - This is a clear, dark brown in color with a modest off-white head.

Smell - The malts are rich and full of caramel with some strong wood notes that together produce hearty fruit smells such as prune and fig. There's a big vodka smell as well.

Taste - The wood is much bigger at the taste, too big actually, so the malt is a bit trumped but otherwise true to the nose. The alcohol is a little much as well.

Mouthfeel - This is short of medium-bodied with a sharp alcohol sting and relatively flat.

Drinkability - I thought they missed the mark on this. The ale was thin and the booze overpowering and one-dimensional.

3.13/5  rDev -23.5%

Caramel colored, slight haze, orangey highlights and a thick beige head of meringue that lingers long and leaves long arcs of lace around the glass.

Aroma of raisin and ripe fruit, some cinnamon and woody vanilla notes.

Flavors of caramel, smoke, dried leaves, cinnamon, ripe fruit, orange rind, metallic note, some diacetyl flavors, very strong flavors with some unexpected astringency, boozey like cooking sherry lending noticeable harshness.

Full and rich mouthfeel, a bit tingly, some warming of the cheeks, finishes tannic.

Tasty at times, overbearing at others. Drinkability suffers due to harshness.

3.15/5  rDev -23%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: pours a very thick kinda funky brown color with two fingers of head with fine bubbles that lingers nicely and leaves spotty lacing on the glass
S: sour, dark fruits and a bit of apple zest
T: sour, very interesting, a bit intense, dark fruits, pretty complex but kinda odd too
M: intense carbonation tingle, a bit single through the middle, doesnt linger at all on the palate
O: an interesting brew, pretty sour and zesty, odd, a bit intense, needs to warm up a bit before it really hits its prime i think, gonna age a bottle for a year and see where we end up

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)