Yorkshire Stingo | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Yorkshire StingoYorkshire Stingo
Yorkshire StingoYorkshire Stingo

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by mdagnew on 12-22-2008

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown-orange color and a thick, cloudy texture. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Not much lacing.

S: A very subtle aroma of malt, fruit, and something sugary.

T: Tasted of raisins, toffee, malt, and a hint of hops. Generally a well done flavor. Not overpowering. I sort of expected the flavor to be very thick and chewy, but it was surprisingly light.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry, smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: One the whole, this is a solid, well-made beer. Drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

The appearance was a dark hazel,head puny,admit poor bad....Good aroma,sweet fruity,bread odor with a hint of smoke. The taste similar,reminded me of a quad. Maybe its considered a quad for all I know,but not as flavorful. Good sensation,tingles as it goes down. Definitely would have again especially with the right foods.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

The look on the body is a great dark ruby red, just clear enough almost looking like Stone's double bastard or other strong ales. Nice light caramel yellow head slightly creamy, but mostly foam s'not three fingers off the pour. Clumpy and thick solid top white le drinking. Sexy looking beer.

Slight earth and soil but mostly a good mix of hop green and punchy cinnamon spices. Basic, impressive, not going overboard just solid.

Very sweet with a big emphasis on brown sugar all over the palate. Feeling has some cotton mouth dry tannic sense, just a nice tolerable hint. Brown like sweet spices taking cinnamon and some slight nutmeg. Dark malt sense but without any roast or charring character. Texture goes to almost velvety smooth.

Overall this is a real nice and enjoyable beer. It is working well on a cold night like tonight for me. Not crazy about this one, but it is a very solids brew.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

A - A finger of eggshell head that quickly dissipates. Dark red crimson. No lace.

S - Caramel, golden syrup, cooked apple and cinnamon.

T - Sweet malts, dried fruit, raisins, raspberry, spice, alcohol, oak, fruit cake and apple pie.

M - Very smooth moderate body, moderate carbonation.

O - A delicious warming ale. Another win for Samuel Smith.

3.54/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from bottle into Samuel Smith pint.

Pours a very cloudy rusty brown. A small 1/2 inch head remains throughout. No lacing.

Smells quite like a whisky. Lots of oak with a little vanilla. A small amount of malt and dark fruit.

Taste is very smooth with oak and vanilla up front followed by some dark fruits. There is a lingering sourness throughout but not to the point of being overbearing. The alcohol is extremely well-hidden.

Overall this is a good, complex beer. I enjoyed reading about the production and extensive aging but at $10.99 per bottle, I'm not sure how often I will be revisiting it.

3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: pours a very thick kinda funky brown color with two fingers of head with fine bubbles that lingers nicely and leaves spotty lacing on the glass
S: sour, dark fruits and a bit of apple zest
T: sour, very interesting, a bit intense, dark fruits, pretty complex but kinda odd too
M: intense carbonation tingle, a bit single through the middle, doesnt linger at all on the palate
O: an interesting brew, pretty sour and zesty, odd, a bit intense, needs to warm up a bit before it really hits its prime i think, gonna age a bottle for a year and see where we end up

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Drank from my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a clear Ruby Amber colour witha nice tight off White head that retains well and laces well.

S - Small amounts of malts and fruit bread, maybe a little liquor aromas.

T - Up front some nice smooth stewed fruits with some oak, the boozyness is non existent. The finish is a little bitter but for the most part this beer is delicate and yet bold with the wooden flavours.

M - Superb medium to full with low carbonation.

O - This is a top shelf brew albeit a little pricey.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

550ml bottle right into the chalice, can tell this is a classic ale right from the get go. Dark full amber in color with a khaki head of medium frame. It looks sexy as hell in the chalice! Big legs, no lacing.

A lot of fruit in the nose, sweet mixed fruit esters & caramel & toffee characters combine in a synergistic effect. Bready notes too & a descent amount of oaked booze. Big sweet & strong nose on this one.

Toffee, nutty, caramel, booze up front transitions into a apple cider like sweetness & soft mouthfeel midway through and a classic drying bitterness in the back. The three different phases stand out so differentiated from one another - yet transition smooth. Quite an experience sipping on this one. Full body, carbonated well, smooth & sweet.

Overall, loved the beer but hated the price. $11.99 for 550ml of beer. Won't be visiting this one again anytime soon, or at least until my wallet grows.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

This brew had been one that I wanted to try for quite some time. The beer poured out as a deep red color with a fizzy cream colored head on top. The head quickly vanishes and doesn't leave any lacing. The smell is of some soft earthy notes, nothing too extreme here... I expected the smell to be much stronger than it was. The taste of the beer is pretty good, not sour like I expected. There is some semi-sweet caramel flavors with some earthy malts and a light wooden barrel flavor in there too. The mouthfeel has a pretty good body to it, the carbonation isn't too bad. Overall this brew wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. It's a decent brew, but I'm struggling a little bit to see the hype.

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Pours a rich amber-reddish hue with little to no head. Nice color, but the head is practically nonexistent.

S - The smell is very rich with a medley of dried fruit--prunes, raisins, and pears. Vanilla is also there.

T - The taste follows the nose. Lots of the dark-colored stone fruits along with caramel.

M - Very thin and lightly carbonated. Pretty smooth.

O - The overall mellow sweetness and light carbonation cover the alcohol, making it a very drinkable beer, even at 9% abv.

2.82/5  rDev -31.2%

I just realized I saw the brewed date and it was 2010. At first I thought the brew could have been an one off bad one, but the brewed date is from last year. Correct me if I'm wrong and if so beer mail me, but a beer from last year regardless of the 8.0% abv won't be that good. Now on to my review....

Appearance - reddish brown color with NO head whatsoever. I got a thin centimeter thick head with very very little to no carbonation at all. (I was surprised to have no head and I vigorously poured it into a duvel tulip glass.) Not sure what went on here.

Aroma - I get at first a strong raspberry scent, some caramel and raisin, toffee, and even some vanilla scents all through and well balanced, and get some oak with some alcohol coming through.

Taste - I got raisins, some sweet caramel, oak as well as the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation like a beer should have, oily, light bodied, watery mouthfeel on the finish. not dry at all.

Overall - I got another one of these and I'm going to try it in a few days or weeks. if it's different than I will know it was just that one bottle. If not then this beer, brewed in 2010, definitely lost its carbonation over time.

The Stingo ate your baby?

Maybe not, but the Stingo ate my beer allowance. I did not realize the price until I checked out, but this thing was $12 compared to $4 or $5 for most Sam Smith brews (at least in San Antonio). I realize this is more of a commentary than a review so I will say this. I was immensely disappointed although it was not a bad beer. I was expecting more barrel to come through, but Sammy didn’t hit the mark.

A - deep ruby red, slightly hazy, two fingers of tan head left random lacing
S - syrupy canned fruit, raisin bread, caramel, and sweet alcohol
T - cough medicine phenolic, bready with dark fruits and burnt sugars, icing sugar, and faint booziness
M - heavyish body with low carbonation, smooth fullness with a light alcohol tickle
O - reminds me of a cross between dark belgian and a glass of port, definitely has a uniqueness about it, was a tad on the pricey side but I deserve it

4.1/5  rDev 0%

2009 19 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Picked up for $5.99 (!!!) on sale at my local beer place.

A: Nice brown/red color with a nice, thick off-white head and great lacing.

S: Some dark fruits, malt, a tad, tad bit of oak.

T: Whoa! This is a weird one! Starts off with dark fruit, then shifts to a really sweet tropical fruit. There's a maltiness and butter/toffee flavor throughout with the slightest hint of woodiness at the end. It's really an enigma...It's not bad at all, but it's odd. There is also a moderately hot alcohol taste that sticks around for awhile.

As it warms, it becomes sweeter and the alcohol and woodiness comes through a lot more.

M: Creamy, moderate-heavy body, and a little bit of carbonation.

O: I honestly don't even know where to start...This is one of the more interesting and complex beers I have had in quite awhile. It's definitely the best offering I've had from Sam Smith's so far. It's definitely an odd mix of flavors in my opinion, but the overall result is pretty decent.

I only picked this one up because it was $5.99. Normal price is $13.99. I really doubt I'd pay $14 for this, but it's DEFINITELY worth it for $6.

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for this one.
Hard to find, but its from the folks at Samuel Smith so expectations are high, especially since its 2-3 times the price of their other beers.

From my notes:
Poured from the bottle into a snifter. It pours cloudy, with noticeable sediment. A ruddy amber color, little to no head and thin lacing. Honestly, it looks like a darker shade of cherry 7-UP.
The 7-UP comparison is not unfounded, as there’s a residual sweetness to this beer as well. (Nothing as syrupy/sugary as a pop, however.) It’s more of a mellow, malty flavor, with only the slightest bit of oak/wood. This was a curiosity pick that wasn’t worth the price.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Serving Type - 18.7 oz bottle

Appearance - Dark caramal brown, very creamy head and plenty of lacing.

Smell - Oak, alcohol, malts, Dark fruits like rasin, plum, some cherry and spices also.

Taste - Oak and fruits are the main flavor. Oak mixes really well with the cherry to create a old ale, strong ale feel. Malts are dark and caramel-ish. Theres a hint of vanilla also.

Mouthfeel - Thick and coats mouth with plenty of malts and booze. Tounge gets hit with malts, dark fruits and oak. Palette gets the malts and oak. Aftertaste has fruits and caramel. Tounge is left dry.

Overall - Nice and strong beer from sammy smith. Has alcohol backbone which im not used to from sammy smith. This beer totally reminds me of a old ale, the oak, fruits, caramel, and its tasty. Its a little sweeter then i figured it would be but not overpowering. A sipper, and this bottle is enough for one sitting.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2008, poured into a snifter on 08/22/2011.

Looks like an aged English strong ale: Tawny highlights on a slightly browned tobacco sunburst stained body under an initially bubbly head that soon falls to a creamy layer.

The nose of this particular bottle is a aged-English-ale-hunter's fantasy dream. Imagine blending figs, dates, and dark plump raisins in a ratio of 2:1:1, and heating them to a syrup and then dumping that mixture into a pot of English toffee. Next to the pot of toffee is a huge loaf of dense bread that has been freshly cut on an oak cutting board. What you would smell standing near this plethora of olfactory stimulants is something like what I smell in this beer. Awesome!

From as sweet as the nose was I was expecting a syrupy bomb of a flavor, but this beer instead shows an artistic restraint. Now I am pumped. The flavor is subtle in almost every way, and I imagine this accounts for the often average scores awarded this beer by bold-palated American beer drinkers. Patience, to appreciate this beer's flavor takes patience!

Instead of bold toffee flavors to start with, dusty plums and something quite like dried figs take the lead. They don't make it cloying as can sometimes happen with aged strong ales, and I love how the flavor is mostly fruits and toffee notes but isn't overly sweet. The toffee is subtle and has a taste that reminds me of the smell of toffee (which is less sweet than the actual flavor). With concentration I think I can pick up oak, but it is not bourbony or young in any way, and it might just be the aged malt flavors taking on notes of vanilla that my palate can't distinguish from oak. My only area of complaint with the flavor of this beer is that there is little aftertaste of any substance, but perhaps that is my American palate haunting me despite my efforts to balance it out with internationally-minded tasting. There is an extremely subtle aftertaste of caramel/crystal malts and brown sugar, but this is faint at best.

The mouthfeel is still holding up despite the 3 years this has survived since its brewing, but it is beginning to show slight signs of thinning with age. I would like to think this could stay together till around the 5 year mark with a reasonably full mouthfeel, but I lack the knowledge of aging to know with more than guesswork.

Conclusion: I hoped that I would enjoy this beer as much a I enjoy the idea of it... and I wasn't let down. I love this beer. It is mellow and complex and wonderfully subtle. Aged strong ales from England are for me some of the most pleasing drinkable liquids on this planet, and this beer is one of the greats. For me it trounces J.W. Lee's because it doesn't sway to far into the syrupy-sweet/headache area (although I respect that as I know many people love it). Thomas Hardy's still holds the gold medal in my book, but this, Fuller's Vintage Ale and Fuller's 1845 are all solid alternatives (which are still produced).

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer pours a copper brown into the glass.

The smell hits me with leather, a touch of rich fruit and vanilla. If I were to lean one way, it would be leather easily.

Mouthfeel is thin, very thin. I don't think it takes away though overall.

Upon first taste, I get dark fruit and leather. Followed by vanilla and oak, finishes very dry.

Overall, the best Sam Smith's I have had. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Stingo (or stinko as my wife refers to it) pours a lovely hue of rich cherry amber with an attractive cap of parchment colored foam. Head retention is quite nice and lacing is decent.

The aroma is very rich with a nice malt sweetness that is a mixture of caramel, toffee, brown and fruity sweetness. Notes of vanilla and a bit of woody spice are also present. Hop aromas seem to be absent.

The flavor follows the aroma quite closely with the same enjoyable malty character that has hints of caramelized sugars and dried fruits. There is a bit of earthy hop character in the flavor as well as vanilla and wood. All the different flavors are well integrated.

The mouthfeel is squarely medium with a pretty subdued carbonation. This beer is far from smooth though and has a decent amount of bitterness that helps counteract the sweetness of the finish.

This beer is very well put together and quite tasty, but perhaps my favorite aspect of it is that I am hardly able to perceive any of it's considerable strength. This beer goes down very easily, even as it warms. Definitely the best offering I have had from Samuel Smith's.

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A- Amber brown, one finger, off-white head, quickly dissipates.

S- Sour cherries, leather, malt, vanilla, slight chocolate.

T- bourbon, oak, nice mellow aged taste, doesn't overpower the palate, hints of vanilla.

M- Very smooth for an aged ale, decent carbonation, rather light.

O- A tasty beverage. It's a little steep in price but I'm pleased.

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%

A - A pretty brown with some reddish hues and a light tan head.

S - Some dark fruit esters as well as alcohol.

T - Dark fruits like prunes and raisins and some spiciness from the phenols. There is also a hint of toffee/roasted caramel flavors. The finish is mostly the alcohol kick and some remnants of the initial dark fruits.

M - Pretty thin body and some medium carbonation make it a nice feel on the tongue.

O - Not the best beer I have had, but pretty tasty and easy to drink.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Brewed in 2010.

A: Pours a slightly hazy brick red/almost brown color. A two finger light beige head forms with good retention. The foam gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Light lace.
S: An amazing aroma. Dark fruits of cherries, plums and raisins. Even some apples mixed in. Toffee and toasted malt. Like oak aromas. Just excellent.
T: Again, this is excellent. Dark fruits that follow the nose along with some tart apples. Toasted malt, brown sugar, and toffee flavors.
M/D: A medium to full body that is low on the carbonation. Though not under carbonated at all. Very smooth. So easy to drink. I can sip on this all day long.

This is a great English Strong Ale. Right up there with Fuller's Vintage Ale, and without a doubt the best I have had from Samuel Smith. I can see this being a great warmer/sipper for a drab and cold night or a special occasion. Excellent and highly recommend.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Brewed in 2008, poured from a 550 ml bottle.

A hazy purplish or deep brown color with hints of orange hues around the edges. A nice full off white head on the pour that dissapates down to a covering sheet with small bubbles. Nice retention. The smell is awesome, sweet fruits like plum, dried cherries, and raisons come to mind. Not so different from certain wines in the aroma. So very aromatic and sweet on the nose that you can't wait to try it. Faint hint of oak and dark malts in the background, filling out the nose profile.

Pretty highly carbontated, which was unexpected at first but then is a pleasant surprise. Tastes of fruity esters come out and hit you in the face, all with a touch of oakiness from the barrel aging. The oakiness gives it just the right amount of edge to keep this from being cloyingly sweet. The fruits aren't necessarily all of the dried variety, and I'm surprised at how fresh this tastes after 3 years. The fruits are also backed by a very light but interesting floral hop taste that gives it a little bitterness, giving this beer some more complexity and a huge amount of character. The alcohol taste is hidden behind and in the sweetness, but is definitely detectable. It's warming however, which is always a good quality. The mouthfeel is unique in its high carbonation and crisp, dry finish.

Everything about this beer screams unique, so for that I rate it highly. It's a tad to sweet for me, but so interesting that I can't stop sipping it. The oak aging has done so well to calm the fruits down that this beer is a need to buy if seen. I think I got lucky in randomly finding it one day. Definitely worth a shot or two.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Poured into an imperial pint. Good amber color, touch of cloudiness, like one might expect from a cask draw. Healthy head which recedes leaving a thin layer of foam on the beer.

S: Bready notes initially, then pick up some raisin and toffee.

T: Lovely, rich old ale flavor. Dates, molasses, bread pudding.

M: A very pleasant thickness to this in the mouth. Carbonation is mild, but contributes nicely to the fullness.

O: Very nice. A sipper, but good through the whole bottle.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Looks like Jack Daniels. It's a pretty beer, without a ton of carbonation. Smells a bit like bourbon, along with the aroma of fruit cake. Tastes more winter warmer to me, but on the boozy side. I taste whiskey, vanilla, and Skor bar. I get the impression that cellaring is futile. Drink it now.

EDIT (not really!)- finishes like a Snickers bar. Yummers.

Yorkshire Stingo from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)