Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |
Samuel Smith's Yorkshire StingoSamuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by mdagnew on 12-22-2008

Reviews: 427 | Ratings: 887
4.19/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Stingo pours an opaque dark copper color with a one-finger width creamy off white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly leaving behind a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is sweet with notes of caramel, oak, and dark fruit (raisin, grape). Very pleasant.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is soft on the palate, slightly chewy with an effervescent fizz. The flavor is fruity with notes of sweet raisin, grape, apple and fig. In the middle is a fair amount of caramel malt sweetness which blends in with oak and a touch of vanilla. It finishes with a touch of alcohol and leaves behind a sticky sweet caramel cherry flavor.

This is one tasty well crafted beer that's meant to be sipped. Lots of flavor which really develops as it warms. It would go great with a steak dinner.

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into my new Arrogant Bastard pint glass...

This pours an extremely murky reddish brown with virtually no head... A small one if any... Extremely murky.. Looks very much like a cask ale to me which should be an awesome thing...

The aroma on this is just lovely... Absolutely one of the best smelling brews ever... The woody oakiness mingled with the raisin-like fruitiness and sweet maltiness work perfectly here... This beer is loaded with character and complexities in the aroma category..someone said something about Christmas pudding and they nailed it... This would make an excellent Christmas ale... There's a spiciness here that reminds me of spice cake and a sweetness like the boiled custard that goes over it... Magnificent...

Perhaps the most pronounced oakiness of any oak aged brew I've ever had... This is just a magnificently crafted beer...the deep sweet malty aspects along with that dark fruitiness has this one making me love it... Its a perfect sipping beer to relax on my patio and watch the hickory chips work their magic on my chickens...the vanilla and oak and sweetness mingle together perfectly...hints of booziness here and there... Very very nice...

Could I see myself ordering one of these in a smoky English pub? Damn skippy... A perfect beer for the style in my opinion... Very well done SS...

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

I've been holding on to this one for about five months. The bottle says "brewed in 2008". Poured into a tulip at cellar temp.

A - For some reason I thought this would be a darker beer - it is a cloudy, medium to light amber. Pours with a creamy bottle-conditioned head of 3 fingers, that hung around for a minute or so.

S - World class. Raisins, sweet fruitiness, definitely some oak - it just smells like dessert.

T & M - I've never been a huge fan of Sam Smith offerings - what I have had always seems a bit watery, with a strange aftertaste I haven't been able to describe. Maybe something to do with the water source? Anyway, this beer has the same "Sam Smithness" going on, but it works really well. The flavors of the nose are all here - it is sweet, but not overpowering, and the mouthfeel is very full and creamy. The oak gives it a nice depth and crisp aftertaste.

D - It warms as it goes down, but doesn't feel overpowering in any way. I like it a lot.

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Upon first pouring this beer, I was struck instantly by the smoky, oaky essence that was coming forth from my pint glass. A few feet away and my nasal passages were filled with a thick aroma that hung there and didn't seem to want to dissipate.

After allowing this sensation to wash over me, I took the opportunity to place the glass up to the ambient lighting in my kitchen as if it were a prism to see what color I could draw out. Burnished copper, slight reddish hues dancing in the background with faint eggshell white, wispy head that quickly dissipated into a skein on the top of my liquid. After a few drinks, no lacing to speak of is apparent.

Placing the glass to my nose, I am instantly drawn to a pouch of Red Man chewing tobacco, raisins, plums, dates and figs. A slight candy sweetness radiates out as well, giving light to the amount of malts that must have made thier way into this brew. The smokiness that was at once so omnipresent and inviting has slowly withdrawn, only allowing a few fleeting glimpses of that oak cask this beer was laid down in.

At first, the sweetness grabs your tongue and slathers on a nice dose of molasses, malt extract, toffe and prunes. But as quickly as those flavors are pronounced, they recede and a wonderfully boozy middle comes in to play and takes its time before allowing the beer to come to the grand finish. The oak that this beer was aged on seems to have certainly seen its fair share of use. As the flavors subside, a strong prsence of oak and all of the character that it imparts is left. Vanilla, a slight char, just a wisp of smoke and a hint of whisky thrown in for good measure.

The carbonation is spot on and allows for a proper introduction between tastebuds and beer. Not so powerful as to wash the flavor away before full enjoyment and appreciation can be reached. A slightly oily and viscous property to the liquid also promoted fulfillment of the senses, as if velvet were being tantalizingly pulled across your tongue.

Considering this beer clocks in at 8%, I find it to be remarkably drinkable. My mouth is left wanting more, as are my other senses. A beautiful beer, and a great addition to the Samuel Smith stable. While the price may be off putting to some, I can easily see myself justifying that price by my experience with this beer. Higly recommended and worth searching out!

CHEERS!!

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

Review from notes 11/26/09

Pours a hazy brown color with a creamy yellow stained head. Forceful pour reveals about a fingers worth of head but minimal retension. Smells of vanilla, oak, malt and the slightest amount of hops. Faint amount of lace clngs to the glass. Taste has a bit of hop bitterness upfront that blends right into a pleasant mixture of oak, vanilla, grain and some alcohol warmth in the finish. Medium, smooth feel with low carbonation. As it warms more caramel notes come out. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to ibrew2or3 for this one.

A: Pours light orange with a rather small head.

S: Sweet malt aromas with notes of brown sugar and light booze.

T: Sweet candy malt, caramel, brown sugar, and toffee. Light oak from the barrel.

M: Medium in body, pretty nicely carbonated.

D: Not too bad. Worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

550mL bottle poured into a snifter. No bottled date found.

(A)- Pours a hazy copper, yet reddish amber hue color. Produced a very large & frothy off-white head that slowly dissipated down to a good layer & stayed there for awhile. Left some bits of lacing on the sides of the glass.

(S)- Very aromatic. Bits of caramel, raisins, figs, apples, & cherries. Bits of toast & butterscotch. Has a little spiciness on the finish from the oak. Very dynamic & layered.

(T)- Very similar to what the smell foretold. More of that oaky spiciness mixed into the different layers this has to offer. A bit dry, fruity, and sweet at the same time. Again, a good taste that followed suit to the smell.

(M)- A good carbonation level & balance. Very dry, very sweet, very fruity, and very bitter all at the same time; it all balances out each other quite well though. Fairly thick, but it suits the feel of the beer well.

(D)- A solid strong ale. Great aroma. Lends itself more to a better drinkability score due to a lower abv than alot of strong ales out there; thicker than most too, but it fits it well. This might benefit from further aging, but its great now.

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Live review. Poured from the 550 ML bottle that I purchased for $10.99 at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago. My friend Bill reportedly bought it for something like $3.49 at the same store a few weeks before that. I guess that they wised up on the price since it really should have been the higher of the two amounts. "SB12I1" stamped on the neck of the bottle, whatever that might mean. Also the following printed near the bottom of the label: "Aged in Oak Ale casks Matured for over a year." 8.0% Alc./vol. Poured, of course, into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

A Brief light brown head that dissipated down to a ring around the top of the beer within a few minutes over a great looking slightly opaque dark caramel body. 4.0

S Nicely sweet malt goodness which has a molasses type quality with a minimum of hops. I like this smell since it is inviting and interesting. 4.5

T The smell proved to be a good indicator of the taste with the welcomed added feature of the oak in the taste. Sweet, light molasses sweetness of the malt with only a hint of hops and, as suggested, a nice oaken woody softness that is really nice. I cannot imagine that this can be improved. 5.0

M Nice and big with a syrupy stickiness, thickness, but softened, as mentioned, by the oak ale casks. Very good indeed. 4.5

D Well this is a big beer but the drinkability remains good for me since it is so delicious. If it did not cost $10.99 a bottle I probably would be buying many more of these. 4.0

Notes: A rival for Nut Brown Ale for my favorite Samuel Smith beer. I am very impressed by this one!

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

I've been saving this one for a special occasion, and tonight was the night. I had high expectations, and it exceeded them.

Fairly dark, looks similar to a brown ale.

Smells fruity, a bit like raisins.

Flavors of caramel, plum, and oak. The oak is *very* strong in this one.

Mouthfeel is rather light for this size of beer, and drinkability is OUTSTANDING. I'd never guess it was 8% ABV.

All in all, I really wish I had more than one bottle of the stuff. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for it in the future.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

500ml bottle from Whole Foods Los Altos.

Pours a brilliant but slightly hazy reddish-amber color with a one-finger whitish head.

Aroma is fruity and malty mostly. Raisin, cherry, oak, and caramel stand out.

Flavor is very nice and fruity. Cherry, raisin, and other fruits, oak barrel, caramel, toffee, and spiced pudding. I had heard this described as a bit sour, but I found it to be only mildly tart.

Smooth on the palate with medium-body and no hint of the 8% ABV.

Very drinkable. Nice beer overall, I like this a lot.

550 ml bottle, brewed in 2008. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a copper/brown color with about an inch and a half off-white head. Head retention is good, but not much lacing. Aroma is pretty interesting, I can smell caramel and bready malt, dark fruit (cherries, raisins), oak, booze and some tart apples. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like dark fruit (figs, raisins), oak, caramel, tart apples, molasses and some pears. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and it's easy to drink. I'd buy this again in the future, I think it's a good overall brew.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

From notes: 8/28/09
Sam Smith
Yorkshire Stingo
8% English Strong Ale
550ml into oversize wine glass

Appearance= Beer pours a deep redish brown. Not opaque. Solid 1 finger off white head, that dissipates quickly. Good lacing but it doesn't cling to the sides.

Smell= Sweetness on the nose. Dark fruits?

Taste= Sweetness, a nice flavor though. Fruits and oak come through. Figs?

Mouthfeel= Active carbonation balances out the sweetness. If it was thicker, this beer would be gross. Nice lingering flavor in the mouth.

Drinkability= A sipper, not a quaffer. Good flavor, good nose, good mouthfeel. This is the kind of beer you get when you want to mix it up a bit.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - nice golden/red colors, not much of a head when it settles, but it stays with it.

Smell - mainly getting an apple smell, but it smells good.

Taste - Apples like I was getting on the smell, not sure if this is from the yeast they use, but I get it from a couple of their beers and I love it. Also some caramel and a bready flavor in there.

Mouthfeel - pretty crisp carbonation wise, thicker than I expected. Reminds me of some of the barley wines I have had.

Drink - going down easy for me could probably drink a couple.

I have wanted to try this beer many times, but it is always like $13 around here so I always decide against it. But I was feeling down tonight so I got it as a treat to myself, and I am glad I did because it is delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

550 mL bottle, great late 19th century style label, by far the most expensive Sam Smith's beer, but I got a BevMo gift card for Christmas, so I picked this up,

A: Pours a beautiful Burton amber with a nice cask-like soft head with very good retention.

S: Complex and rich. A nice mix of dark sherry soaked cherries and mild lemon, bread pudding, almost Flanders Red like at times with the sour oak components. Light notes of cheese/funk and mild oxidation notes, but works wonders in the nose of this style of ale.

T: Definite English/Maris Otter type malt hits first. Delicious oak and acid flavours mid-palate. Some sweetness at the end with raisin and caramel candy. A contemplative effort.

M: Perfect. The carbonation is there, it hits, is crisp but dances on the tongue and glides away leaving you wanting more. Great complex aftertaste of oak and fruit. Smooth and silky throughout. Alcohol is non-existent.

D: This is fantastic beer. Man I wish this was $5-6 a bottle, but alas it's not to be. I can only see this getting more complex with time. I don't know how long it will last, but I'd like to be with it on the journey. Sam Smith's introduced me to English beers, and with this effort is reminding me that the English make some of the best beers in the world, especially with their strong/olde/barleywine type ales. This is a beer that harkins back 200 years to tradtional English brewing with true lactic character, minerality and complexity. A must buy even at the $13 price-tag, open up a book of Tennyson or Hardy and relax and reminisce on a cool winter evening.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Served from a 550 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: pours copper-amber, slightly hazy, nice creamy and somewhat lumpy 2-finger head with great retention and lacing. more than you would expect for an old ale or English BW, but very appealing.

S: malt, molasses, caramel, dried dark fruit. Terrific.

T: caramel malt, treacle, plums, figs, and alcohol all seem to work together in a nice harmony. Toward the end, a hop bitterness and oak astringency finish it off and balance the sweetness. Very slight yeasty flavor but overall a very well-balanced beer. Alcohol is definitely present but not solvent-like or hot.

M: creamy, carbonation higher than expected for the style. light in body for a high alcohol beer, and an interesting dichotomy when combined with the wealth of flavor.

D: flavor-wise, very drinkable... but then you try to stand up and it hits you. Share with a friend if possible. Extremely tasty and interesting overall presentation, one that I will seek out again.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a std. pint glass right out of the refridgerator.

The pour produces an amber/chestnut colored brew, with some cloudiness. Definitely not filtered. Nice sized head, given the higher alcohol content; creamy, foamy and will give you a nice mustache. Head reduces to a thin cap, and minimal lacing adorns the glass.

The nose is rich and sweet; malty and filled with fruit flavors, like dark fruit (raisins, plums and dark/tart cherries). Perhaps a touch of floral hopiness present in the nose.

Taste follows the nose pretty close. Lots of dark fruity tastes, and huge sweet caramel maltiness. A little on the dry side, the carbonation is higher than expected; thus the mouthfeel is lower than expected. Still, this is an excellent brew, with dangerously high drinkability. Even at 8%, I could see having several of these (slowly) over the evening.

Samuel Smith is noted for its classically styled brews, and this is another fine example. Definitely worth seeking out. I think the wonderful flavors will keep on increasing as this beer warms. "Get you some .... !"

Na Zdravje!

1.87/5  rDev -54.2%

Aroma- fresh cut apples, yellow raisins, and seriously...radish. Very fresh and appealing. Very faint oxidative note if you look for it but hides well behind the more in-your-face nose salad. overall very appealing aroma.

Appearance- Lively carbonation, big creamy head with excellent retention, and poor clarity are all unexpected for the style. ruddy maple color. Once again, unusual for old ale, but appealing none the less.

Taste and mouthfeel - Quite sherry-like. Heavy malt sweetness draws flavor sensations to the tip of the tounge but solventy alcohol carries grassy hop flavor into the nose, making both disharmony and distraction. Sam Smith's trademark acetylaldehyde ester (usually endearing in my book) is not helping the situation and becomes rather shrill at this ABV. If you you can clear your mind of all this and force some beer to the mid palate, you can glean some notes of pear and a very thin caramel tone, but it is kind of lost in the mess. Medium-full bodied with high levels of carbonation but you won't notice that with astringent, even tannic, dryness bludgeoning your entire mouth through the painfully long finish and aftertaste. Yikes.

Overall- This is like somebody's first high ABV homebrew. I am usually a big fan of this brewery and the old ale style so I was really psyched when I finally got my hands on a bottle and paid pretty handsomely for it. I was ready to love this brew all night long but most of it will be destined for the drain. It really pains me to slam a Sam Smith beer when I so often defend them to other beer nerds, but this is just bad news. If you are an English Old ale fan, Fuller's vintage is cheaper, easier to find, and far superior.

Single bottle (bottled in 2008) poured into a large fluted pilsner glass. Poured carefully to leave the sediment in as recommended on the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy coppery color, with a persistent light tan head. Not a lot of persistent lacing as I drank it down, but the 1/8" thick foam across the top stayed the whole way down.

Smell: Incredibly complex. Starts off fruity (grapes, apples, pears), with some bready and boozy smells in there. Once warmed to room temp it is white grapes with some must.

Taste: Equally complex as the smell. Sweet (but not overpowering) with lots of fruit flavors, maybe some molasses, some alcohol, some bitter, and a tart/hint of sour finish. I want to say raspberry at the end. There are so many flavors in here it's hard to pick them out. It's almost (almost) cider-like in its qualities.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation goes away quickly (within 10 minutes) off the bottom of the glass. What is left is a tiny bit prickly on the tongue, but otherwise thick, a hint sticky, and maybe a hint oily too. It lingers in the mouth.

Drinkability: I view this as an experience beer. I'm glad I tried it, but either I have to develop a better palate, or this beer just has way too much going on for me to appreciate all of its nuances. It's good, it went well with a meal (Quiche Lorraine and salad) and I'm glad I tried it, but it will be awhile before I try this again. It's certainly like no beer I've had before.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a dark, cloudy amber color with a two-finger head into my glass. Nice presentation here. Looks tasty.

Aroma is full of sweet malt with a strong hint of plum/raisin and alcohol warmth.

Taste is a bit sour for some reason with raisin/plum standing out the most on the tongue. Malt seems like it's toasted in some way.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin and unappealing for some reason. Alcohol lingers in the mouth but the flavors somehow fade.

Could be much better. Thicker. It's certainly a strong ale but I wonder if this batch is off or something?

Bottle is marked "Brewed in 2008 - Aged in Oak Casks for over a year" and was purchased at Capone's in Norristown PA.

Appearance: Pours a nice red brown with a 2 finger dirty beige crown that shows some retention and lace.

Smell: Loads of oak, nutty notes, caramel sweet notes, and fruity esters.

Taste: Caramel sweetness meets oak.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of medium bodied with good carbonation.

Drinkability: The 8% abv is the only thing holding me back from scoring this one at 4.5 in this category.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

550ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled 2008.

A heavy pour helps form a massive head of thick off white, almost yellow tinged head. Body is a dense brown in color.

Aroma is quite intense with strong suggestions of fig, toffee, oak, and something similar to fresh baked sugar cookies. Flirts with being too sweet actually but manages to stop just short. Really quite something.

Not nearly as intense on the palate as on aroma. Flavor comes through in stages, carmel, raisins, and wood are there along with with an herbal leafy hop character. Also some plums and port wine in the finish. Actually much easier drinking when warm.

Carbonation is light which I think works well here. Alcohol is noticeable only in the port wine flavor in the aftertaste.

A solid beer but doesn't taste quite as good as the aroma had me hoping, also somewhat overpriced. Aside from that, it's certainly worth a try.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Glass- Riedel 6416/07

A- Copper color, expansive foam which settles flat.

S- Caramel malt, dark fruits, vanilla, yeast.

T- Diacetyl/vanillin barrel character, caramel, toffee. Sweet dried fruits: fig, date, raisin. Inviting, seductive, rich maltiness. Restrained, well integrated hops. Long, lingering malty finish.

M, D- Smooth, full, rounded flavors for a mid-weight beer. Nice, palate-coating viscosity. Perfect CO2. Wonderfully drinkable with very alluring flavors.

Comment: I consider "The Yorkshire Stingo" as a historical brewing artifact. This is what I believe a quality English brown ale was like 250 years ago, and drinking this is like a trip back in time. The methods, materials, ingredients are essentially a replica from that period, and the necessary economy then would call for the long-term reuse of expensive oak casks. These old barrels imparted a unique character, and I believe it to be shown skillfully in this brew. Good stuff!

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a light copper color with a large off white head with large bubbles and good retention. As is almost always the case with Samuel Smith beers, this one is beautiful when poured into a glass. Smells of sweet caramel malt, toffee, dark fruit, oak, and alcohol. The taste is just like the aroma, except not as sweet as I expected. The caramel and toffee flavors are the stars here.

Has a sweet, sticky aftertaste, medium bodied, and properly carbonated. This is smooth, creamy, and easy to drink, even though the alcohol is somewhat noticeable.A good beer, but a bit pricy for what it is.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle provided by TimmyP, thanks Tim!

It pours a cloudy maybe murky medium brown colour with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly leaving a ring around the glass and some spotty islands in the middle.

The smell is fairly light but with very good caramel malt notes and maybe some hints of vanilla.

The taste is delightfully malty. Lots of caramel malt sweetness and a brown sugar like sweetness with some notes of vanilla hanging around in the background as well as a light touch of oak/wood. Little bitterness to be found and not needed at all but what's there tastes like light bits of dark chocolate. Nice. And tasty.

Mostly medium bodied but at times feels like right on the edge of full bodied. The carbonation is on the light side and works well with this one and most examples of the style.

Drinkability? Some warming ensues after the first few sips, most welcome with the temps outside being in the single digits, but other than that, it is hidden pretty well. I like it a lot and if you like malt forward brews as much as I do, you will favour this one. A firm thumbs up from me.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$10.99 for 550ml. Bought in Milwaukee, WI.

A: nice lighter copper color, the creamy, lasting head is what impressed me more than anything
S: very mild and well-balanced, hints of vanilla, toffee, very, very good
T: again, very well-balanced, great taste between malt and oak aged qualities, probably one of the smoothest oak-aged beers I've ever had, mellow and warming, warming alcohol taste in finish
M: great mouthfeel, rounded, velvety smooth
D: deceptively drinkable for a 8.1% beer

Probably one of the surprise beers I've had in awhile.

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)