Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by TKempe on 01-20-2009

This is smooth fruity delight in a bottle. Not too punchy. Ive had some punchy berrs or ales. this is one of the finer I have had. Thank god they sell it where i live or i would go insane.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer! Disclosure: I love raspberries and fruity beers! I am also a fan of Lindeman's framboise but this isn't as tart and has a perfect balance or fruit and actual "beer" taste! I highly recommend trying this beer! I bet it's to-die-for on tap!

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

Color: clear, dark pink with an amber hue

Smell: raspberries and more raspberries. some alcohol and a hint of malt

Taste: lots of raspberry. pretty much nothing but raspberry. raspberry juice with sparkle from carbonation and alcohol. raspberry finish. its hard for me to get passed the juice and detect much malt and wheat. not too tart but probly couldnt drink too much of it.

Mouthfeel: low-medium body. moderate carbonation.

Notes: delicious! a very refreshing beer. maybe not very popular but definitely superb for the style

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

I picked this up for my girl because she's always asking for fruit beers and I was hoping this would be enjoyable for both of us, as I trust the brewery and a lot of other fruit beers have left me fairly disappointed. This was amazing. Poured deep, dark purple and you could immediately smell the raspberries. The bulk of the flavor was raspberry but it managed to still be a great "beer" if you take my meaning. Felt like a complex and well thought out brew as opposed to a syrupy fructose mess as many fruit beers tend to be.

4.66/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. Not too sweet. Very filling flavor. Purchased from PJ's liquor in Saint Augustine.

4.61/5  rDev +19.7%

4.59/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +19%

I must be a slow learner since on Easter Sunday 2011, I was marginally a fan of the cherry ale and not a fan of the strawberry ale, both thanks to their being a bit too sweet for my taste. I did not have a bottle of the raspberry ale at the time or I would have reviewed all three at once. I have since procured a bottle of the raspberry ale and my review follows.

From the bottle: "Brewed at Melbourn Bros ancient brewery in Stamford, Lincolnshire and blended and bottled as Samuel Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire."; "Handcrafted at Melbourn Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery in Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic raspberry fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew - creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpart to the pure organic fruit juice."

The pour produced the prettiest two fingers of pink head ever! It looked like cotton candy atop the beer. The beer itself was a deep pinkish-red with NE-quality clarity. The nose smelled of red raspberry preserves, like my late paternal grandmother used to make from berries grown out back in her garden. Bliss! Mouthfeel was fizzy and big in the mouth and there was nothing sweet about this beer. I have long known that raspberries impart a tartness that may be overwhelming at times, but this was great on a hot, humid late-spring afternoon. I poured about three-quarters of the bottle into my glass, setting the rest aside for a blend with some Bear Republic Stout later. Finish was tart, not puckeringly so, but enough to let me know that I was alive and kicking. I have to give major props to a beer not only this tasty, but certified organic, to boot.

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

i already reviewed the cherry, but this one is even better. very drinkable, nice body/mouthfeel (not too much carbonation...not thick and syrupy) which allows the raspberry flavor to assert itself in this beer foundation. the nose is fruity but in a refreshing way (unlike a cooler as some might expect). excellent alternative (for me) to the more expensive, tart lambics

4.56/5  rDev +18.4%

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)