Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer
3.87/5
Very Good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by TKempe on 01-20-2009

1.65/5  rDev -57.4%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. ABV 5.1%.

A - Poured a dark red with brown and purple hues. 1 cm pink foamy head reduced to some bubbles. Decent lacing. Looks interesting.

S - Raspberry jam and beer. Doesn't smell too bad actually.

T - Sweet upfront, cooked raspberries, raspberry juice, sour, tart, mild bitter finish. Really not liking the overly fruit juice flavour.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation, tart fruit juice finish.

O - Drain pour. It's pretty tart and I found it hard to enjoy.

2.23/5  rDev -42.4%

appearance: Dark ruby beer, heavy carbonation. Thick head of pink foam that's almost comical in appearance, but it vanishes all too quickly.

smell: FRUIT. Damn near reminds me of drinking Nestle Quik as a kid. Sugary fruit dominates everything here, and nothing else comes through. No real problem with it though, was expecting it.

taste: More of that fruit. This is alcoholic Kool-Aid. Nothing but the raspberries comes through in the tasting. Almost sour enough to remind me of a lambic.

mouthfeel: clean, small but persistent aftertaste of fruit on the tongue.

drinkability: drinkable certainly as a session beer, but a full bottle of this is almost too much, like consuming an entire box of of gummi candy by oneself. This gets marked down somewhat simply because my preference is to be able to taste the beer with the fruitiness when it comes to styles like this. I prefer more subtlety.

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.79/5  rDev -27.9%

Looks less like a fruit beer than other fruit beers. It's mostly dark brown, with just some lighter red hues. The head is thin and white with a pinkish hue.

Smell is overwhelmingly raspberry. You can almost smell the acid. Slightly biscuity scent.

Tastes like raspberry juice. Nothing else.

Starts off very sweet and ends almost dry, with an acidic tart pucker.

I'm not a fan of most beers flavored with fruit juice. I don't mind a fruit beer, but I'd prefer the fruit be added instead of fruit juice. This is mostly raspberry juice thrown into an ale.

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours dark red with a foamy pink head. Nice structure here, with good lacing clinging to the glass.

Harken back to childhood memories of an elderly aunt who is cheap as the day is long. Remember her candy dish, and the cheap, shitty, oversweet fruit candy she had in it? That's the nose on this beer. It got 1.5 instead of 1.0 because I could identify the fruit as raspberry.

We are lucky this isn't as bad as the nose. I actually tasted this a couple of ways, including holding my nose to avoid the aroma. OK -- raspberry fruit up front -- not fresh and tart, but more like boiled down or overcooked preserves (got it! -- like the semi-burnt preserve flavor you get in a jam-based baked dessert/cookie; that semi burnt edge that is both sweet and bitter) . There is enough bitterness behind this (in the beer) to offset the sweet a bit, and it fights thru so it seems like you just eaten some bitter raspberry seeds. Candied fruit fights its way back and finally (!) some natural fruit flavor begins to shine thru as the palate clears. Finish is more sweet than tart. 3.0? I'm feeling generous today (meaning, if I was drinking this outdoors I might have spit it on the lawn).

Has some body and light carbonation. Probably could use a bit more in the bubble dept., but this is ok. Has a bit of an authentic acidic edge, which I do quite like.

Ok, this is fruit beer, so I know what I was getting into. Don't hate this, but funny enough, the more I drink this, the less I like it (odd, as things usually grow on you). They went all-in with strength of flavor, which is good. Many brewers just wimp out and give you something weak and bad; here, it is strong and semi-bad. An A for effort.

This stuff will never pass my lips again, nor will their other option (strawberry). Honestly, even a non-beer drinker would have a hard time with the sugary flavors here. I'm going back to my lambics.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

I'm honestly not the type to rate a beer on its appearance or smell or feel. I've had a lot of fruit beers in my lifetime; many miss the mark, many play it safe, and some hit the nail on the head for the perfect balance of fruit and beer.

This Samuel Smith Raspberry was disappointing enough for me to register an account on here and want to warn people. It was tart, unpleasant, and had a reminiscent tinge of cough syrup that thankfully faded before the aftertaste developed. This and their Apricot beer have turned me away from this brewery's fruit beer selection permanently. I paid $6.50-$7.00 per bottle and thank god I didn't buy other flavors. I'd actually be upset with the waste of money.

The taste was a 2 because I didn't even finish the beer, but I know I could've. That's the only difference between a 2 and a 1 to me.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Samuel Smith has officially sold his soul to the beer devil. A fruit beer from one of the most tried-and-true breweries in the world. It's the equivelent of Harley-Davidson making tricycles.

The beer looks like soda-pop. An utterly fizzy red beer hits the glass and creates an initial, loosely knit pink head that fades with low levels of lacing or retention.

The beer smells like soda-pop. Candy raspberry flavors seem artificial. No real malt foundation to hide behind, the beer doesn't seem to exhibit what is best about beer or raspberries. No hop presence. No other complexity from esters, phenols, or anything else to attempt balance.

The beer tastes like soda-pop. Sugary sweet raspberry flavor taste as artificial as the nose smelled. Very low levels of malt fail to give any beer-y impression to the beverage. Aside from paying $6, there's nothing beer-like about it.

The beer feels like soda-pop. Again, sugary, sticky, sweet (...from my head to my feet.) The beer has no meaningful malt in the body. No dryness to assist in the end. Aggressive carbonation prickles the mouth and becomes bitey at times. The beer isn't awful as a beverage to drink, but they should serve it in a sippie-cup.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Presentation: Brown pop top Victorian pint bottle, beautiful label...classic Sammy Smith

Appearance: Intense brick-red beer, almost like a dark rose wine; a hard pour produces a rose pink colored cap with pretty impressive staying power

Smell: Fresh, sweet/tart juicy raspberry...very much like fresh berries that have been sugared for shortcake, etc....this is one dimensional, but pleasant and fresh, and not artificial

Taste: Oi. Tart! And kind of sugary sweet at the same time...weird. This somehow manages to be puckering, sour, sweet, and yet slightly bitter on the finish...after the finish there's the ghost of a malt profile lingering on...kind of unsorted

Mouthfeel: A bit much on the CO2

Drinkability: Medium at best

Conclusion: I wanted to love this beer...and I just couldn't...in a word, it's odd.

Good but very fruity in all aspects

pours a raspberry red with a large pink head, and some lacing.

smell is of raspberry, and malt.

taste of raspberry, and malt, a little sweet but not too sweet, ends a little tart.

overall a good fruit beer, better than most fruit beers, taste and smells raspberry just as stated.

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)