Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer
3.82/5
Very Good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by bark on 01-24-2009

1.25/5  rDev -67.3%

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

2.08/5  rDev -45.5%

A - Poured from a bottle into a chalet. Poured a hazy amber with reddish highlights. Head was ginormous with sticky lacing all around the glass.

S - Sweet and sour strawberries up front followed by...strawberries. Almost a smell similiar to a starwberry wine cooler. This has an attractive scent to it.

T - Straight up sweet strawberry soda. I can't really taste any malts in there. It kind of tastes like a strawberry cough syrup to the end of it.

M - Carbonated like a soda with sweet feeling left in the mouth.

O - I think I'd rather drink a BL lime over this. This actually made my stomach turn a little. I think the smell of this beer might give me a gag reflex. Not my thing, but if somebody wants a strawberry beer...are there many other options?

2.24/5  rDev -41.4%

Bought this beer on the recommendation of a friend. 500 ml bottle poured into a 21oz snifter.

Poured slightly hazy, Dark honey in color. Nice head. Aroma smelled strongly of fresh strawberries; very nice. Unfortunately the taste was god-awful. Very astringent and nasty. I struggled through a few more sips before pouring the rest down the drain.

I can only assume the bottle had been mistreated. My friend has too good a palate to have touted me on this beer if it had tasted like this to him!

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

I had out of the bottle that a friend brought over.
A- It has an opaque brown and red rue. There was some head and lacing.
S- The fruity strawberry scent certainly comes through.
T- Taste like a Belgian beer that had a bunch of strawberry jolly ranchers dropped in. Terrible. Sorry if a lot of people like this, but I am simply not a fan at all.

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

550ml bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-red with a thin off-white head that dissipates to a slight haze.
S - Uhhh....strawberries. I'm really getting a strawberry yogurt thing here, lots of strawberries, a bit of tartness, perhaps just a whiff of sweet cereal grain.
T - Yeah, that is definitely a strawberry beer! Tastes a lot like a strawberry candy, someone below me said Pez and that sounds about right. Strawberry Pez and sweet cereal grains. Not really my thing, but I guess if you're a strawberry fan this would be right up your alley.
M - Syrupy, with a medium mouth-feel and moderate carbonation.
O - Borderline novelty beer for me, just way too sweet and fruity. No thanks.

2.47/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Light caramel color and virtually no head, but there is some carbonation. The aroma is strawberry, as is the flavor. Sweet.
Feel is light to medium and the finish is clingy sweet.
The sweetness could use a bread malt correction. (A shortcake maybe)

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer is not like a fine Lindeman's lambic or a carefully constructed fruit beer. This beer is sweet fruity and the taste is simply disjointed for a fruit beer. I would say that a Bartles and James type drink might be more drinkable than this. I expected a lot more from Samuel Smith, and think there is a possibility the bottle I had was shocked during shipment, but there were fundamental things about this beer I would consider changing if this was my effort from my brewery.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a clear light amber with a tint of red, has a medium light pink head, and some lacing.

smell is of grain, fruit, and some malt.

taste is sweet, berry, and some malt, ends very sweet.

for a fruit beer it is not that bad, too sweet for my liking but has a decent flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)