Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England)

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Reviews: 2,263 | Ratings: 6,541
3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

I can distinctly remember having this for the first time in the late 80's at a friend's wedding.
Very black with a great frothy head. Not much lacing, though. As my daughter says, "it smells like oatmeal". Not as much coffee as some, but some nice roasted aroma. I like the sweetness of the aroma. Next to no carbonation. Hints of vanilla is nice.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Damn! Closed my tab and lost my review. I'm going to do the writing best as I can.

A: Dark brown, no light coming through with a tan head and excellent lacing.

S: Mostly a mixture of molasses, dark chocolate and coffee. There is some malt grain in there as well.

T: This is where the beer falls off in my opinion. Certainly not a popular opinion, but I think this beer just crosses the cloying threshold. The flavors are more like a molasses, sweet chocolate milkshake rather than the roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, rich malt that I'm more of a fan of. That's not saying there's not a place for this beer on my table but it's just not my favorite.

M: Love the mouthfeel... rich and creamy with a delicate lightness. The mouth totally embodies the flavor profile which I love.

O: Not a bad beer by any means, just not the oatmeal stout I would reach for. I would however, like this for dessert. It is very, very drinkable though. Finished the beer in no time.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: This stout pours surprisingly dark which makes it seem like a really thick beer. It does have a fairly thick and foamy tan/cream colored head which makes the beer more appealing.

Smell: This beer has very distinct nutty aromas. The nutty aroma is intimidating at first but does become more appetizing after you start to smell the coffee and chocolate notes. Overall, this stout has some distinct roasty, malty notes throughout.

Taste: Although sweeter than expected, it does have some bitter chocolate notes. The taste is fairly nutty with some hints of toffee and oats. I would describe this beer to be very roasty with burnt malts, chocolate, and some less distinct notes of licorice. In comparison to other dark beers like Guinness, it is sweeter and has a more "chocolate nutty" taste.

Mouthfeel: Has a very smooth, silky feel when you drink it and is a fairly easy-to-drink beer. It does not seem to have as much carbonation in comparison to most other beers (in my opinion), so in that sense it adds to the silkiness of the beer. Contrary to its appearance, the beer feels fairly thin.

Overall, it is a decent beer that I would recommend to others. I appreciate that an oatmeal stout stays true to its name and does in fact taste oaty and nutty. However, it is a hard beer to get used to because of its sheer complexity. It does however have a perfect balance of sweet and bitter and isn't too overwhelming for first time oatmeal stout drinkers.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a deep black color with a tan colored head. Aroma is of sweet roasted malts with hints of citrus. Taste is sweet caramel up front followed by a strong bitter burnt coffee taste and then a sweet buttery aftertaste. A very nice stout.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a translucent black with a light brown, slightly white head. Smell is very sweet. Chocolate, grapes, roasted malt. The flavor is nice. Very roasty. Nice, creamy mouthfeel.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a solid, dark brown, almost black. Aromas of tobacco leaf, dark chocolate, dark malts, with hints of sticky raisin. Tastes lighter than expected, but quite flavourful; sweet, dark malts, sticky raisin, fig, more like a dark ale than a stout.

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown to almost black in color. An inch of khaki colored head rests on top. Brussels lacing. Smell of oatmeal is present and yet a bit subdued. I get caramel,dark malt,and oatmeal in the palate. The fade is a blend of bitterness from the hops and then back to dark malt and caramel. The mouth is dry and creamy.

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a slight head, due to a light pour (I wanted the entire bottle to fit into the glass). What head it has is tan. The body is quite black, but has a lot of ruby at the edges when backlit. The nose is earthy, most likely from English hops, andquite chocolatey and roasted, too. The taste is slightly acidic, quite earthy, and finishes with light chocolate/coffee notes. I do wish it were less acidic, but it's still enjoyable. The mouth is on the fuller side, with a surprisingly high carbonation. Overall, this is an alright beer, but certainly not worth the $5 I have to pay for it.

3.74/5  rDev -11%

POured from a bottle into a glass.

Aroma- Light Coffee and smokiness. faint cocoa and a slight yeasty sourness.

Appearance- Nearly opaque, a slight ruby tint is revealed when help up to the light. a thin tan head that lingers but provides little if any lacing.

Flavor- Cocoa and oats with a slight smokiness that gives way to a sweet almost coffee finish. As it warms you can perceive an earthy-ness as well (a'la unwashed potato'.

Mouthfeel- There is an ever present slickness/viscosity from the oats (I would assume). It has a slight astringency, which I hear could come from the fermentation process in the open vats. both of these characteristics add to the beer as opposed to detract from it. It is slightly over carbed for a stout, but I should have let it rest a little more.

Overall- I think this is a great example of an oatmeal stout, I could only imagine what one would taste like fresh from the brewery. I think this gets better as you drink it.

3.74/5  rDev -11%

Why oh why the clear bottle...
The flavor of this one reminds me a bit of Yoohoo... though I can't remember the last time I had that chocolatey drink.
Sweet malts; not too hoppy at all and rather bubbly for a stout. Coats the tongue in a bit of a chalky kind of way.
I haven't had too many oatmeal stouts that I can think of, but this is pretty good as far as stouts on the whole go. I wasn't quite wowed by this but I'd give it another go next to others of the style.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from bottle into my favorite tulip glass. My first Samuel Smith brew, and surely one to be remembered.

A: completely opaque with a sticky tan-colored head. Great lacing.

S: Undeniably English. Roasted oats, raisins, molasses, and an earthy, herbal, almost floral sweetness.

T: Dark roasted malt, molasses, some chocolate, and a big helping of sweet, fruity, estery English yeasty goodness and a slight earthiness. Finishes a little tart with a full, round sweetness balanced lightly by a weak bitterness.

M: "Light" for its jet-black color and oh-so-smooth. Light carbonation keeps it slick and velvety. Lovely.

O: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is a classic and is definitely like tasting a little bit of history (especially considering this beer was reintroduced nearly a decade before I was born!) I personally prefer the American Oatmeal stouts (there's something about genuine English beers that are cloying to me - their unmistakable flavor profile gets old quickly to me for some reason) - maybe American beers are just a bit "crisper" or "cleaner." Whatever it may be, I'm happy to try the Oatmeal Stout By Which All Others Are Measured, and I'm sure I'll revisit it someday, but for now I think I'll stick to the American versions.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

I poured this bottle into a Nonic pint glass.

A: nearly opaque burnt sienna color, robust and rocky 3-finger tan head that slowly and gently falls into a thick and persistent cap with very good lacing.

S: sweet Turkish coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, soy sauce, Cheddar cheese, earth, toasted caramel.

T: chocolate and sweetened condensed milk hit up front, but there is an odd, semi-metallic note in the middle, as well as a woody, herbal note, the finish is slightly chalky, cheesy, and features a woody/earthy hop/yeast note.

M: medium-bodied, satiny to watery, the carbonation is gentle and appropriate to the style, there is a hint of a metallic feel in the middle and finish.

D: Not bad, but not great, either. The Taddy Porter is a much better beer.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

55oml bottle poured into DFH glass (not the buttplug). Appearance is dark brown, very light tan abundant head. Smell is roasty malts but not a hell of a lot going on there. Not very exciting. Taste is typical thin oatmeal stout. Very drinkable however. Nothing special here, see previous sentence. Overall, a decent beer not bad for the price....won't be a go-to stout but I won't say no if offered one.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: Pours a near pitch black with a light tan head that fades quite slowly.

Smell: Bitter hops with hints of oats and caramel.

Taste: The bitterness is more prevelant in the taste than in the smell. Roasted flavours and oatmeal are evident as well. Sweeter than most stouts due to the oats in the mash.

Mouthfeel: Nice body, a little thin for my expectations of a stout, though that may be the style since I have not had too much experience with oatmeal stouts.

Drinkability: I couldn't have too many of these because of the intensity of the bitter flavors but its a good "once in a while" brew that would go very well with all sorts of food.

I would recommend, but would also love to try this on-tap to see the difference.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

In the glass the beer has a deep brown black color with no light coming through. On top sits a talldense head mocha in color. Some lacing is left behind as I drink it.

A robust and malty aroma with molasses and anise coming through, mightily weaving in and out of the aromatic bouquet.

Of course one finds a big malty brew but like in the nose molasses and anise are big players almost too big. I detect very faint hints of smoked peat.

Drinks thin on the palette but is smooth flowing.

Overall drinks well but seems to me more akin to a dry stout in that the characteristics of an oatmeal stout are not there. It's not as smooth, velvetty, or sweeter like an oatmeal. I would at the very least expect it to be heavier on the palette.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Beer poured from bottle into Pint shaped glass

A - Beer poured with a fantastic one and half finger deep beige colored rocky head; dissipation was easy and controlled; body was a deep black color, absorbed all light; not much lacing stuck to the sides of the glass; some carbonation comes up

S - Great scents of roasted malt and some smokiness on the back-end; initially your most glands are hit with scents of licorice sweetness, opens your sinus like Vicks-vapo rub; never smelled that in a beer; tiny scents of dark, dark chocolate; clean and refreshing

T - Espresso/coffee flavor; roasted malts; bitter coffee flavor washes over the tongue; rustic root flavor; ginger?; very, very small amount of hop flavor, could be confused with burnt malt taste

M - Slightly smooth; not much carbonation to this beer; plenty of aftertaste though; coffee and smokey malt flavor coats the back of the throat; good balance of burnt/roasted flavors; watery; thin body rinses the palate rather quickly

D - Lots of hype for this one; I was saving this for a long time; maybe it requires more aging to develop a full body and sweeter roasted malt flavor; a bit watery if you ask me

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a dark burgundy colour, quite dark but a lot of colour in it, especially when held up to the light. The head is thin, very thin actually, beige colour. Leaves some deliciously sticky cascades of lacing around the edge. Pretty good indeed.

Nose is sweet and sticky, slightly roasty with a light cocoa character, hints of brown sugar, maybe some spice as well, nutmeg I think. A light citrus character at the back, orange and maybe lemon as well. A lot of nuance, but a bit subdued with nothing explosively aromatic.

Roasted character throughout the palate, slightly bitter without overdoing it into ashy territory. Hints of cocoa and a fair amount of cereal grain. Has a port character towards the back with a good sweetness that again doesn't overdo it by venturing into sickly-town or syrup-ville. Feel is smooth and velvety. Reasonably full but gliding, like indigestion cream.

This is extremely drinkable stuff, with smooth pleasant flavours. It does venture into sweet territory at the back, but it's balanced enough for the most part to make it quaffable.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured a very dark cola color. Very thick with a huge foamy tan head that held throughout the drink. Good webbing along glass side.

Smelled of chocolate, fresh bread, some malt.

Has a slight metallic bite to the taste. Very thick and chocolate-like, a little dry. Very heavy drink. Wouldn't recommend this bad boy with a meal, it's a meal in it's own right.

Overall, pretty good brew. Though it's not my favorite style, I'd reach for this one again.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

550 ML bottle dated SH16K1 aka August 16, 2011. Lets not open the bottle dating Pandora’s Box and get to the beer…

Darn dark with a fluffy light brown head. Pouring it the beer looks brown but in the glass it’s more black than anything. The lightbulb looked ruby through the beer. Nice lace and head retention.

Roasted malts and some sweetness on the nose.

Roasty malts, slight coffee and chocolate, earthy and hoppy. Some sort of sour/metallic thing going on. Idunno. Otherwise it would be much better.

Smooth, lightly carbonated, and dry. Wonderful.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured this into a tulip. The body is very dark brown with a light tan head that leaves sticky lacing and is very bubbly. The nose is full of sweet dark malts, it's really sweet up front and reminiscent of brown sugar or molasses; pretty much something to that nature that I really can't place my finger on. It's not the most complex aroma, but it's very pleasing and well done. The taste is sweet through and through. It's not bad but the flavor seems a bit bland. I can detect the dark sweet malts and a slight flavor of oak. It finishes with a bit of a coffee taste. Like I said, it seems bland, maybe subtle is a better word, but this is really an enjoyable drink. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, honestly what I would want from an oatmeal stout. This is a great readily available beer, and at five percent, real easy to enjoy over a period of time.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer was good, first time I had it was at the Braveheart Highland Pub in Hellertown Pa. The beer is nice rich and dark. The aroma and taste reflect the look of te beer. This beer had a bit of a metallic flavor at first which faded in time. I liked the strong roasted flavors it had running through it. It was a good beer for sure. Enjoyed it even more the second time I had it.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice looking stout with a pretty good chocolate aroma. First sip I really enjoyed then after that it got really watered down tasting. Overall a solid beer but was a little dissapointed. Slightly overrated in my opinion.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

A- black with one inch tan head that fades to a large ring with no lacing

S- sweet carmalized malts, a little coffe

T- this is my first oatmela stout but I don't taste any oats. Burt malts, milky, sweet, and nutty.

M- creamy meadium mouthfeel, carbonation is good, burnt bitter finish.

D- Low alcohol makes it drinkable, but it isn't my taste to have more than one.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

550ml bottle poured into a chalice. The body is dark black with brown undertones. Thin, chunky tawny lacing - sticks to glass on the way down.

To the nose, the oddball oatmeal tang is present, although with this one it is more astringent than I'd like. Not a lot of sweetness depth.

In the mouth, this is a silky smooth stout. The creamy maltiness is overwhelming - but pleasant. Hop character is somewhat lacking, but who cares. Layers and layers of roasted malts abound.

The body however is much too light for my taste. For a beer with such over the top malts, this shoud have more chewiness to it. Very metallic and thin on the tongue and finishing. An organic finish is evident, but it is not hearty enought to speak about.

Musings: I've had plenty of these in the past - first review. I do love the taste of the beer - the body and feel is just too thin for my liking. Put it against McNeill's or even Troegs and the skinny feel is clearly evident. Even still, a first rate stout.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Nice, dry oatmeal stout. Really, I was hoping that I would like it more on this go round. It's not bad or anything. I just probably won't ever buy one again. Of Sam Smith's lineup, I've only loved the Taddy Porter. I appreciate most of their beers, but I often end up feeling a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. This beer is a dry stout with a full, smooth feel. It's dark, nearly black with brown highlights at the extreme edges. The head is beige and leaves some lacing. The aroma is chocolate malt with that dry note that I usually associate with Irish Dry Stouts (oh, Guinness...). The mouthfeel is creamy and full. It's the best part of the beer. Good beer but not great. (My girlfriend demands that I write down her note of "baconey.")

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)