Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Oatmeal StoutOatmeal Stout
4.21/5
Exceptional
Oatmeal StoutOatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Ratings: 6,736 |  Reviews: 2,304
4.46/5  rDev +5.9%

Black with ruby highlights, and a great heap of creamy brown head and excellent retention. Great looking beer. Bready and roasted malt. Bready and dark roast, leaning towards chocolate. Mouthfeel is exceptional. Full bodied and smooth as silk. Overall a fine beer indeed.

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance- Pours and opaque black with a delicious looking brown head that really sticks around. Beautiful to behold.

Smell- Hints of coffee, licorice, and bread dough, warm smelling.

Taste- Strong taste of coffee with lots of creamer in it, some chocolate notes, roasted nuts, a delightfully balanced beer, smooth from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel- This is where the beer really stands out to me, it completely covers the palate, its thick and chewy, absolutely incredible.

Drinkability- Believe the hype, meal in a bottle. One is more than enough but its so good!

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%

I tasted this from a 550ml bottle. I found it a great dark beer with excellent full head. Rich coffee and malt aroma. Excellent flavour. Taste is chocolate, slightly nutty with nice smooth mouthfeel from the oats.This is an easy drinking, delicious beer. Worth a second bottle!

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%

This brew has a mild hoppy malt aroma. Invigorated pour with a light brown head of small to medium bubbles and a opaque dark brown body with a receding lacing on the side of the glass. It has a surprisingly smooth flavor with very subtle taste. Hard to place the flavor, but it went down very easily and was very much to my liking.

OG?
IBUs?
550 ml bottle with no freshness date poured into a Surly pint glass.

Appearance 5/5
Pours clear dark brown that looks black in the glass with deep brown highlights. Big, creamy, dense and rocky head that's like a Belgian ale's in all respects but its dark tan color. The persistent head leaves sticky lacing on the glass over the course of the beer.

Aroma 4/5
Big on roast, bordering on a charred character. Some grainy undertones. Perhaps powdered chocolate. This one is hard to say, but there might be some earthy hop aroma too.

Taste 4.5/5
Light malty sweetness in the beginning and middle, complemented by coffee like acidity that's perhaps from the roast, followed by a moderate bitterness from the hops, and then a moderately dry and roasty finish. A grainy character from oatmeal is certainly notable, but not prominent. The aftertaste is like dark chocolate in terms of some sweetness and decent bitterness. Hop flavor, if present, is very little.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Medium body with moderate carbonation, just the way it should be. Not cloying. However, it doesn't feel as silky as I expected.

Drinkability 5/5
Very very good. At 5% ABV, you can knock down a couple of pints of this flavorful dark ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 550ml bottle, capped with gold foil. A dark black coffee color, opaque unless held to light. Very creamy, tan two finger head, with fluffy pockets of air, great retention and ample lacing.

Aroma of roasted malt, caramel yeast, and subtel floral notes. Taste of chocolate, caramel, honey grain, toasty malts, coffee, and vanilla extract. A light, not overly complex, mouth, with a toasty, malty, gently sweet finish. Plenty of carbonation, just a whisper of alcohol.

The absence of bitterness, makes it very drinkable when served at a proper temperature, though maybe not the best example of the style. A classic.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

I haven't drank many stouts before but I really enjoyed this. Poured into a pint glass. Fluffy two finger head that lasted a good 5 minutes, still a quarter inch after 10 minutes. Great aroma. Smooth mouth feel. Some coffee and chocolatey notes. Great beer to savor every drink. Definetely try this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Medium, light brown head.

Very nice, quite complex nose.

Very dark brown body with a few bubbles.

Good, full taste and mouthfeel, with a bit of sweetness in the aftertaste.

Overall, a solid oatmeal stout - perhaps a bit overpriced (at least in my local market).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep brown, ruby highlights. Nice, thick, and creamy three-finger brown head. Good one.

S: Rich caramel & brown sugar. Some light cinnamon spice aromas and the oatmeal malty goodness.

T: Chicory, smoky/roasted oats, lightly coated in a brown sugar taste. A note of bitterness towards the finish.

M: Semi-thick, but a little on the lighter side. Could stand to have a little richer consistency - not talking molasses, but that direction, I suppose.

D: Easy drinker, quite robust. The lighter ABV & consistency makes it a sure second.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a ....well....black with a thick tan head. It has a heavy malt smell that is pronounced. The taste is quite malty. It has hints of chocolate and is maybe a bit buttery. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. This is an outstanding beer that I'd love to have the opportunity to drink on many occasions!

I'm editing my review: After 2+ years of drinking, this is still an excellent beer, but in my enthusiasm, I scored it slightly higher than it deserves. Still a solid A beer though.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

I must preface this by saying that although my sinuses are a bit waylaid by a cold right now I've had the beer many times before, and know it smells great. Basically, my smell score is based upon memory. As for the rest...

Well it looks great, exactly as a stout should: dark with a tan head, it's got a trace of transparency and a moderate two-or more fingers of head so I know it won't overwhelm the tastebuds (or liver).

Smell is another above average area. This one truly fits the bill as hints of hearty oatmeal and a vague sense of coffee.. or at least a breakfast atmosphere, pervade.

It tastes just great. Seriously. There's a reason this one is so widely known and often serves as a gateway to the world of stouts for the uninitiated. Dark and filling, distinctively welcoming on the tongue. It's got a moderate amount of carbonation for the style which really adds to the texture.

It feels like velvet going down, not quite the dreamy black oil some of my favorite stouts resemble but an entirely enjoyable alternative. That carbonation really is what makes it a better gateway for those stuck in boring-beer-land. Tickles the tongue and gets those taste buds working to truly feel this beer out.

As for drinkability: it's only 5% and a bomber or two wouldn't necessarily knock you down. It'll fill your stomach and satisfy with both flavor and feel in a large way before overwhelming with any alcohol sensation. A truly sessionable beer. Or a prelude to harder stuff...

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a dark brown, almost black color with a short tan head that laced the glass all the way down. It had a very nice malty and oatmealy aroma followed by some hints of chocolate and caramel. The taste has alot of deep roasted malt that is followed by hints of chocoalte, caramel, and some rich oatmeal flavor that was actually pretty sweet. The mouthfeel was very good as it was a very smooth and velvety and warming beer. The drinkability is good as I would definately have a few of these if I could.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Last of the Samuel Smiths 3-pack. The last two were good, so lets see how this one fairs.

Pours a deeep chestnut brown, boardering black. I would have thought it was black if I didn't hold it up to the light, where ruby red and mahogany highlights were showcased. 2 fingers of creamy, khaki coloured head with solid retention top this beer leaving some nice, sheet like lacing.

Roasted malts, burnt molasses, brown sugar, powdery cocoa and a subtle but strange sour apple presence. Still a solid smelling beer.

Molasses, roasted malt, cocoa, grain, light oats, brown sugar with a hint of coffee and buttery malt making an appearance in the finish.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Reminded me a bit of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Excellent balance, with the sweetness being perfectly stated. Light to medium bodied and RIDICULOUSLY easy to drink.

Overall, an excellent beer. By far the best of the 3 pack (which includes their EBA and EPA),d easily placed in the top ten beers I've ever had. St. Ambroise version of this is great, but I enjoyed this one much more. A perfect dessert beer but I could see myself having this on almost any occasion. I think this will be one of my favourites for a long time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle: Nice Head, good lacing, great balance of carbonation and smooth silkyness. Excellent balance in flavors roasted dark malt bit of coffee raisen choco creamy excellence.
Everything seems to balance out well in this stout. Low bitterness to where the roasted taste is most flavorful. Also Nuty sweet! Unlike some stouts I have tried the dark roast lingers nicely and not too bitterly. Just enough to be very pleasant. Can't go wrong with this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I cracked this one open, and so this truly wondrous product definitely caught me by surprise. A dark dark pour with a nice creamy head and significant lacing, looks very appealing. The taste here was truly exceptional - oatmeal as the name would suggest, but a great balance of coffee and chocolate flavors with intricate complexity and not too dry. The best oatmeal stout I have sampled. Highly recommended.

12oz bottle - love the clear glass

Looks the part with a very dark color and an oatmeal colored head with good staying power and nice lacing. Smells like roasted coffee with some chocolate notes... not earthy, but a full nose to it. Wonderful taste with outstanding balance of malt and hops with oats acting as a backdrop bringing it all together. Blossoms in your mouth as it warms up... velvety heaviness punctuated by cleansing carbonation. Close your eyes and think of oatmeal and it all comes into focus. Quite drinkable for such a potentially heavy brew, thanks to top-notch smoothness and balance.

I have found this beer to be ideally suited for two applications: as the first beer of a tailgate (a.k.a. "breakfast") and as a compliment to cashews. An exceptional beer that I would love to taste on draught someday.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a dark black color with a nice dark tan head that thins half way through. Smells like sweet dark chocolate, as it warms, maybe milk chocolate. I taste hints of oatmeal, definitely some sweet dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a little bit of coffee. The mouthfeel is unreal, from the look I thought it would be thick, this beer drinks so thin, the texture is like water. The drinkability is the same, goes down so easy.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

550 ml bottle poured into my new Chimay chalice yields a deep dark brown body with a tan creamy head that retains at a fat slippery sheet and leaves spotty lacing.

Smell is rich with molasses, toasted oats and chocolate syrup.

Taste is sweet; with honey, cane sugar, coffee, creamy chocolate and a tinge of pleasantly-acidic roasted malt leading into a velvety chocolatey finish.

Thick at first, and substantial in the mouth, but smooth and ultimately clean and refreshing.

A benchmark beer.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

This was my first oatmeal stout. I am always weary of the clear bottles from Samuel Smith. This poured a dark dark dark dark brown with a nice tan head. The aroma was nice and full. The taste was the same. Between Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and their Imperial Stout you can have breakfast and dinner. Oatmeal for breaksfast and Imperial for dinner.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured this one in my pint glass. Have had this one before so I am looking forward to it.

A- Black body with a one finger tan head. Lacing isn't too bad, looks quite tasty.

S- Dark malty smell is what hits the nose first. After that it seems like I am getting an oat smelled coupled along with a little nutty yeasty smell.

T- The dark malts come through just like in the smell. At the backend of this beer you get that oat flavor that I expect out of an oatmeal stout. There also is a little of that nut flavor throughout. Tasty oatmeal stout.

M- This is probably the part of the beer that I have the largest problem with (and it isn't that big of a problem). I expected the mouthfeel to be a little fuller than it was and I feel that it would be a little better if the body was beefed up a little.

D- I could sip on these all night.

Notes: I would prefer a RIS rather than an Oatmeal Stout, but this is still a great beer. I find this to be a good beer to finish that night off with.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From a pint bottle poured into tumbler. Poured a dark mahogany to black color with a khaki-colored, frothy, 2-finger head. Decent amount of carbonation with small bubbles. I enjoyed the remainder of my beer with some chocolate and they complimented each other perfectly.

The nose consisted of roasted and smoked malts. I also picked up some sweet black licorice notes along with a little coffee.

The taste consisted of roasted and smoked malts with an only slightly bitter coffee and oat taste. Not as much oat notes as I expected and it was a little less creamy than I had hoped for, but those are the only two knocks on it. This is a very drinkable, medium-bodied stout.

Overall this is a fine stout and I would suggest this to anyone who fancies the style.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

And at last we've reached the last of the big five Samuel Smith's brews. How will it hold up?

A - Tall, dark and handsome. Looks kind of like a black bear.

S - Smooth, roasty character that does not overpower.

T - Bold, rich flavor of coffee, toasted almonds and (gasp!) oatmeal. Blends nicely.

M - It's pleasant to say the least. No interfering carbonation, but not as creamy a character as the Imperial Stout. I really just think it's my expectations.

O - At long last, I've found an Oatmeal Stout I like. And who better to bring this goodness unto me than one of my favorite micro breweries. It's a very bold, very enjoyable beer with a ton of character. It's finally undone the damage Saranac Oatmeal Stout did to me years ago.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - Black with a tan head. The head lasts for a while.

Smell - Nice coffee smell with a hint of some brown sugar.

Taste - It has a strong malt flavoring with some sweetness mixed in. It has a bitter finish to it. It didn't have a strong oatmeal taste to it.

Mouthfeel - very little carbonation to it.

Drinkability - It was very smooth. It left me feeling a bit full when drunk quickly. I feel that this is a beer worth sipping.

Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 4.21 out of 5 with 6,736 ratings