Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Liked This Beer
4.21 w/ 6,659 ratings
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom

4.21/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 6,659 |  Reviews: 2,292
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a dark brown, almost black color with a short tan head that laced the glass all the way down. It had a very nice malty and oatmealy aroma followed by some hints of chocolate and caramel. The taste has alot of deep roasted malt that is followed by hints of chocoalte, caramel, and some rich oatmeal flavor that was actually pretty sweet. The mouthfeel was very good as it was a very smooth and velvety and warming beer. The drinkability is good as I would definately have a few of these if I could.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Last of the Samuel Smiths 3-pack. The last two were good, so lets see how this one fairs.

Pours a deeep chestnut brown, boardering black. I would have thought it was black if I didn't hold it up to the light, where ruby red and mahogany highlights were showcased. 2 fingers of creamy, khaki coloured head with solid retention top this beer leaving some nice, sheet like lacing.

Roasted malts, burnt molasses, brown sugar, powdery cocoa and a subtle but strange sour apple presence. Still a solid smelling beer.

Molasses, roasted malt, cocoa, grain, light oats, brown sugar with a hint of coffee and buttery malt making an appearance in the finish.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Reminded me a bit of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Excellent balance, with the sweetness being perfectly stated. Light to medium bodied and RIDICULOUSLY easy to drink.

Overall, an excellent beer. By far the best of the 3 pack (which includes their EBA and EPA),d easily placed in the top ten beers I've ever had. St. Ambroise version of this is great, but I enjoyed this one much more. A perfect dessert beer but I could see myself having this on almost any occasion. I think this will be one of my favourites for a long time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle: Nice Head, good lacing, great balance of carbonation and smooth silkyness. Excellent balance in flavors roasted dark malt bit of coffee raisen choco creamy excellence.
Everything seems to balance out well in this stout. Low bitterness to where the roasted taste is most flavorful. Also Nuty sweet! Unlike some stouts I have tried the dark roast lingers nicely and not too bitterly. Just enough to be very pleasant. Can't go wrong with this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I cracked this one open, and so this truly wondrous product definitely caught me by surprise. A dark dark pour with a nice creamy head and significant lacing, looks very appealing. The taste here was truly exceptional - oatmeal as the name would suggest, but a great balance of coffee and chocolate flavors with intricate complexity and not too dry. The best oatmeal stout I have sampled. Highly recommended.

12oz bottle - love the clear glass

Looks the part with a very dark color and an oatmeal colored head with good staying power and nice lacing. Smells like roasted coffee with some chocolate notes... not earthy, but a full nose to it. Wonderful taste with outstanding balance of malt and hops with oats acting as a backdrop bringing it all together. Blossoms in your mouth as it warms up... velvety heaviness punctuated by cleansing carbonation. Close your eyes and think of oatmeal and it all comes into focus. Quite drinkable for such a potentially heavy brew, thanks to top-notch smoothness and balance.

I have found this beer to be ideally suited for two applications: as the first beer of a tailgate (a.k.a. "breakfast") and as a compliment to cashews. An exceptional beer that I would love to taste on draught someday.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a dark black color with a nice dark tan head that thins half way through. Smells like sweet dark chocolate, as it warms, maybe milk chocolate. I taste hints of oatmeal, definitely some sweet dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a little bit of coffee. The mouthfeel is unreal, from the look I thought it would be thick, this beer drinks so thin, the texture is like water. The drinkability is the same, goes down so easy.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

550 ml bottle poured into my new Chimay chalice yields a deep dark brown body with a tan creamy head that retains at a fat slippery sheet and leaves spotty lacing.

Smell is rich with molasses, toasted oats and chocolate syrup.

Taste is sweet; with honey, cane sugar, coffee, creamy chocolate and a tinge of pleasantly-acidic roasted malt leading into a velvety chocolatey finish.

Thick at first, and substantial in the mouth, but smooth and ultimately clean and refreshing.

A benchmark beer.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

This was my first oatmeal stout. I am always weary of the clear bottles from Samuel Smith. This poured a dark dark dark dark brown with a nice tan head. The aroma was nice and full. The taste was the same. Between Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and their Imperial Stout you can have breakfast and dinner. Oatmeal for breaksfast and Imperial for dinner.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured this one in my pint glass. Have had this one before so I am looking forward to it.

A- Black body with a one finger tan head. Lacing isn't too bad, looks quite tasty.

S- Dark malty smell is what hits the nose first. After that it seems like I am getting an oat smelled coupled along with a little nutty yeasty smell.

T- The dark malts come through just like in the smell. At the backend of this beer you get that oat flavor that I expect out of an oatmeal stout. There also is a little of that nut flavor throughout. Tasty oatmeal stout.

M- This is probably the part of the beer that I have the largest problem with (and it isn't that big of a problem). I expected the mouthfeel to be a little fuller than it was and I feel that it would be a little better if the body was beefed up a little.

D- I could sip on these all night.

Notes: I would prefer a RIS rather than an Oatmeal Stout, but this is still a great beer. I find this to be a good beer to finish that night off with.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From a pint bottle poured into tumbler. Poured a dark mahogany to black color with a khaki-colored, frothy, 2-finger head. Decent amount of carbonation with small bubbles. I enjoyed the remainder of my beer with some chocolate and they complimented each other perfectly.

The nose consisted of roasted and smoked malts. I also picked up some sweet black licorice notes along with a little coffee.

The taste consisted of roasted and smoked malts with an only slightly bitter coffee and oat taste. Not as much oat notes as I expected and it was a little less creamy than I had hoped for, but those are the only two knocks on it. This is a very drinkable, medium-bodied stout.

Overall this is a fine stout and I would suggest this to anyone who fancies the style.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

And at last we've reached the last of the big five Samuel Smith's brews. How will it hold up?

A - Tall, dark and handsome. Looks kind of like a black bear.

S - Smooth, roasty character that does not overpower.

T - Bold, rich flavor of coffee, toasted almonds and (gasp!) oatmeal. Blends nicely.

M - It's pleasant to say the least. No interfering carbonation, but not as creamy a character as the Imperial Stout. I really just think it's my expectations.

O - At long last, I've found an Oatmeal Stout I like. And who better to bring this goodness unto me than one of my favorite micro breweries. It's a very bold, very enjoyable beer with a ton of character. It's finally undone the damage Saranac Oatmeal Stout did to me years ago.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - Black with a tan head. The head lasts for a while.

Smell - Nice coffee smell with a hint of some brown sugar.

Taste - It has a strong malt flavoring with some sweetness mixed in. It has a bitter finish to it. It didn't have a strong oatmeal taste to it.

Mouthfeel - very little carbonation to it.

Drinkability - It was very smooth. It left me feeling a bit full when drunk quickly. I feel that this is a beer worth sipping.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Great nose, little funky, lots of character, kinda leathery but more appealing than that. Good rich flavor, a bit funky, really satisfying. Good chocolate malt flavor with the rich earthy funk really make this beer enjoyable. Could be a little sweeter or something to up the mouthfeel, but other than that, I really enjoy it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A bought a single 550mL bottle from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $3.79 in Summer 2011.

Pours a very dark brown color with a frothy light brown head that sticks around for the longest time. Chock-full of robust scents there is roasted malts, sweet carmel malts, as well as many other nutty flavors. Working my way past the frothy top, the beer is full of great, smooth, and mellow flavors. The ingredients are so well blended together its hard to pick out certain flavors but there's the obvious robust malts, oatmeal, roasted barley, and yeast as indicated on the back of the bottle. Quite a fine beer and a must drink for any beer advocate member.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

appearance - Big creamy tan head, with reasonably good retention. Dark reddish brown color (like cola) with excellent clarity

aroma - Chocolate, and some nice smoke - very roasty smelling. Also some toffee-malty sweetness

flavor - Initial dark malt sweetness turned a bit smokey and floated very gently into a creamy, smokey finish. Balanced but overall more bitter than malty. No hop flavor apparent, which is fine for the style.

mouthfeel - Medium-light body. Moderate carbonation, but light enough to be quite creamy. No alcohol warming.

overall - Glad to find that three years after my first (negative) review this beer is what I remember. Smokey, creamy, and flavorful without being overpowering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark dark brown almost completely opaque with brown that refracts through the glass when the light hits it just right. Good head that stays with a thin layer.

S - Almost like a nut brown, with roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

T - Great roasted malts roll over the tongue with a sweet finish. A pleasant coffee aftertaste.

M - Very smooth and easy to drink. Medium bodied and a bit dry.

O - A very enjoyable stout which I continuously pick up at the market. A good hearty drink. Maybe not the best but one that you keep coming back to..

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

A- Pours dark with a light brown head that leaves reluctantly with a lacey finish,

S- Smells good, slightly sweet with a hint of chocolate and oatmeal

T- Very good taste, hint of oatmeal with a sublte taste of chocolate, not too much bite on the back end but ends with a slight bite.

M- Good mouthfeel, smooth and crisp.

D- Very drinkable, no taste too overpowering, and it finishes clean.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Upon pouring this brew, I can't help but notice that it looks exactly like Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout - same dark chocolate color, same creamy head, same durability of head. That said, I liked the look of the former, so of course I like the look of this one.

Smells quite nice - again, it's a lot like the IS, but the smoke smell is more pronounced.

Tastes very good - I'm getting a really good balance between the chocolate and lemon flavors. It's also a bit grassy, and a little hoppy afterward.

It's medium-bodied, with good carbonation and a lemony aftertaste.

To drinkability - quite a bit similar to the IS, but I liked this one just a wee bit better. Would go well with a salty meat.

1-4-05

New notes...still consider this one of the best in the world...clearly better than their Imperial Stout and Nut Brown...great stuff..
---
3-2-02
I can not even begin to describe how spectacular this beer is. I had to go back and change (lower) my ratings of the Bell's Oatmeal because it is not in this league...not many beers are...everything about it is fantastic....great sweet scintilating aroma...black-to-very dark ruby reddish in appearance with a soft lace...sweet, creamy and smooth...delicious!!! with just a hint of hop bite on the finish...I taste the oats strong and almost a "cream" sweetness to it..I have yet to try the SS Imperial but it would be tough to top this...

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

This oatmeal stout poured thick Into the glass thick and heavy. when the glass settled I could see the thick black smoke like body and the supper chunky tan head. the head kind of slithered down the glass as i drank, It was almost a meal in itself. the almost spice aroma jumped up and bit me. the first sip was almost heavy it was thick and full of flavor, rich malty with just a hit of bitter balanced out well. The finish was almost dry. a little to heavy to drink all night, butt good all-around!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I bought a bottle of Sammy Smith's Oatmeal for a recent class I had where I presented on some integration of RFID and beer. Needless to say, presentation went well. Especially because no one popped this bottle and I get to drink it now.

I'm tired of all these highly rated stouts being big. It was about time someone came around and did a nice one at 5%. Thank you, Samuel Smith (who apparently has done this for some time...).

It pours a rich malty dark brown with a sweet tan head of about a finger's depth. That head remains on top of the beer throughout with a tasty ring. The aroma is malty, chocolate, and oats fully in there. Taste has a nice bite of hops that keep it from being too sweet, and that's complemented nicely by chocolatey bitterness. It feels like a stout should, but it's not too thick that you don't feel like you could have more than one. Best part, you can have it after a workout and not feel terrible. I bet it's low-cal too.

Ok... maybe that last one is stretching it too far.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Black with a two finger tan head.

S - Brown sugar with hints of dark chocolate and strong hints of molasses.

T - Bold roasted malty sweetness up front with some chocolate, hints of vanilla, and a small hit of hoppiness at the back to balance it out.

M - Surprisingly medium bodied with not quite light, and not quite medium carbonation. Oatmeal adds a very creamy texture.

D - Very rich, but I could drink at least a couple of these in one sitting. I've never had an oatmeal stout before, and this is absolutely fantastic.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Served at between fridge and cellar temperature in the brewery's imperial pint glass. 550ml bottle purchased as part of a special 4-pack of Samuel Smith brews.

Appearance- A showstopping display... the beer pours a rich toffee brown with ruby port highlights, then the head begins to develop. My glass is 50/50 beer to crown, and the structure is exceptional. Small, evenly dispersed bubbles gather together and eventually meld, popping and hissing into a soapy mat. A few bits of lacing here and there, but the eyes on this beer are a winner.

Smell- Wonderfully big, uncompromising aromas of chocolate, cream, coffee, sugar, and even berries... the latter being dense and jammy. A meal in itself, the nose is amazing on this beer.

Taste- First and foremost, the English character imparted largely from the brewery's water source is a huge factor in this beer's uniqueness. Crisp and dry, it paves the way for the flavors... an abundance of roasted malt, followed by suggestions of coffee and chocolate... finishing with a spritz of berryish fruit and a nice, mild hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- On the palate, this is dreamy. A light, relatively thin entrance onto the tongue expands and swells into a beautiful, mouth-filling delight... full, active, yet subtle simultaneously. Effortless... a classic in its category, and worth trying and enjoying again and again.

From a 12 oz.

Appearance: About the color of coke (coca cola-- cmon guys), dark brown with reddish hues when held to the light. Thick tan head fades after a few minutes and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Sweet roasty chocolate.

Taste: More sweet roasty chocolate. Plenty sweet, but not too sweet. A little bitterness on the back end that demands another sip.

Mouthfeel: So smooth and creamy. Carbonation balances this nicely. Near perfect.

Drinkability: I haven't had one of these for almost ten years until tonight. In college we called it sweet nectar of the gods, but could rarely afford it. Now I have no excuse. You probably don't either. This is an absolutely delicious beer. And at about 5%, you can drink it all night (and day).

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 90.2% out of 100 with 6,659 ratings