Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,257 | Ratings: 6,509
3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Pours an opaque black body with a small, creamy, light yellowish head.

Smell: Sweetish, malty aroma with hints of milk-soaked, cinnamon-sugar coated bread crusts and red wine.

Taste: The flavor is predominately sweet with flavors of chocolate, coffee, and molasses. There's also a slight roasty balancing bitterness, though it still manages to finish semi-sweet as the chocolate emerges once more.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body with a soft carbonation, but its silky smooth, I must say!

Drinkability: A nice, light, sweet stout fit for any time of day, including 8:30 in the morning!

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Deep brown near black colour, slight off white head, light lace spots. Smell is of roasted malt, coffee, faint alcohol and subtle chocolate notes, there is also a metallic presence that is there. Taste is of roasted malt and coffee initially, a light chocolate and mild acidity show up after that, there is also a light astringency in there. Good mouthfeel light creamy feel, medium carbonation. Drinks pretty good overall, not my favorite but quite a solid effort that is worth trying or revisiting.

550 ml bottle, marked SG13B1, poured into a pint glass

A—pours solid black with a 2 inch dark tan fluffy head that slowly falls down to a pillow top that floats on top, lacing looks like Swiss cheese. Beautiful.

S—sweet milk chocolate, some sour, rotten fruit aroma is coming out very mildly, coffee is hidden …not what I was hoping for

T—bitter dark chocolate, bready and biscuit flavors are in here, tasting some of the sourness I smelled, faint coffee comes through in the swallow, finishes on the dry side

M—smooth, medium/full bodied, good carbonation

D—not bad, but not as good as I expected, I would not seek this out, but might give it another try in the future.

3.64/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Thick chocolate color with impressive creamy tan head and complex lacing.

Nose is dominated by chocolate malt and coffee aromas. Mouthfeel is creamy and thick but not syrupy.

Taste is malty, chocolaty, and nutty with underlying subtle sweetness and a wiff of alcohol arises late. Hop bitterness is short lived and finish is clean and surprisingly dry.

Clearly an impressive oatmeal stout. I love one every now and then - usually with a hearty meat and potatoes meal, but I can't see drinking it daily or as a session beer.

look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

MFV 2015. Kinda weird smell, but good flavor, which doesn't make any sense, but that's my opinion. Not as much deep flavor as buffalo sweat, but very drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

This beer was fantastic, flavorful, strong bodied, and tasty. I really enjoyed this beer. I did a beer tasting at my work for this beer, Wines Unlimited Stratford CT, and it went very well too. People bought this beer that night by the couples or fews, which considering it's steep price and it mysterious nature, this beer did well. I liked this beer. Jolly good!

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

Okay, okay, big beer, big BA numbers, big legend. Lived up to the hype- to an extent.

I'm going to start in reverse in reviewing this beer. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty is way down. The burnt acidic oaky flavor make this one a little tough to get down. Very sweet, unjustly so.

Nice oak and earthy flavors. Big time whisky afterbite. In the world of stouts, Oatmeal Stouts just don't do it for me.

Not sure why, but my reivews of BA's top 100 end up being a little low!!????

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours from the bottle with a deep, nearly-black brown color, topped by only a thin foamy head. The aroma is light and clean, with a dry combination of oats, minerals, and lightly roasted grain. The roasted grains are present in the flavor as well, along with notes of bittersweet chocolate and dry toast. The mouthfeel is light but not watery. Overall, this one is rich and malty without being heavy.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

550 ml. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Soft black in color. Frothy tan two fingered head stays for most of the sample. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Roasted malts. Coffee. Chocolate. Sweet oats and bread.

T: Pleasant roasted caramel malt and day old coffee. Sweetness of the oats and molasses takes over. Earth like undertones are followed by a soft toffee presence. Herbal or tea like finish.

M: Smooth as silk and creamy. Minimal carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: A very soft stout that has a wonderful sweetness about it. Rich malts and fantasic balance will keep you coming back for more.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

Smell: Has a very thick and sweet molasses type smell. Got a whiff of dark chocolate and dark coffee in there as well. After a few sips a roasted barley aroma became much more apparent. A slight metallic odor cutting through the sweetness.

Taste: Opens with a distinct bittersweet dark chocolate taste. leaves a fine and long lasting toffee aftertaste. Oatmeal taste becomes much more prominent towards the end. Finishes nicely with a hint of bitterness.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

Was not a fan of this the first time I had it, but some time passed and I gave it another go, much to my satisfaction this time around.

A: Pours black with two fingers of foamy head. I guess I'm used to American and Russian Imperial Stouts; this is considerably less viscous.

S: Tart and earthy, smells of oatmeal (as one might expect), with a bit of chocolate.

T: Similar to smell but more enjoyable; slightly tangy with roasted malts and a bit of sweetness.

M: Medium bodied, smooth but still creamy, with soft carbonation.

D: I may be used to the aforementioned Imperial styles of stout, so this seems very drinkable. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the taste, I keep going back to this one for sip after sip.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

550ml bottle from my local Beer Monger...

Pours with a nice 1/4" head, fading to a respectable carpet of dancing tight bubbles that hang around with good lacing.

Smells of toasted malts, dried fruits, a touch of coffee and good quality beef stock.

Initially sweet but not overly so.. More dried fruit.. Waiting for some toasted malt or hop bitterness to balance, but don't get alot.. Some mild toasty notes with light, not unpleasant floral esters at the end.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Was hoping for a real chewiness, but it is a wee bit lacking. Still quite thick and delicious, which is one of the reasons I enjoy this style, but compared with others only so-so..

Had originally scored this higher in the drinkability stakes, but after getting halfway through, I do think it is a touch on the sweet side. Having said that, you could easily twist my arm to have another.

While in my humble opinion this isn't in the top level of stouts, I did enjoy this drop and definitely one I'd have again..

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

A: It poured a black body with a brown moderate head that fell to a spotty cover and supported decent layered lacing.

S: It smelled of dark roasted malts with complementing brown sugar and a nutty oaky aroma.

T: It had a creamy smooth dark roasted malt flavor at its base with brown sugar, some dark fruits and a bit of bitter hops. There was a modest oat flavor but it was well hidden.

M: It was medium bodied with a modest amount of carbonation and a bitter roasted malt presence on the tongue. It finished dry and bitter and the bitterness lasted deep into the aftertaste.

D: It was a medium bodied and has a light ABV but the biting aftertaste limits this to a one and out beer for me.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

22oz bomber poured into a chilled pint glass.

Heavy pour yielded ~1" of foam that threatened to overflow the glass (and would have if not for some slurping intervention). Dense tan foam has an odd orange hue to it and leaves tons of lace. Nose is bitter molassas, dark malt, liccorice. Taste is smoke, wood, toffee, smoke and a bit of orange rind in the finish. Smell and taste are both a bit subdued, not as robust as I hoped. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Despite the aforementioned shortcomings, I do find it enjoyable and will have it again.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

It's a great brew but I have one big issue with it

It's all oatmeal and the result is a very dry aftertaste and feel taht leaves you pining for a glass of water

If you love pure oatmeal stouts, this one was made with great craft and I love it's history and tradition

Personally though I'd like a little cinnamon or cream or some other addition flavors to help give it a better balance.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Extremely dark, nearly black. A huge, pinkish-brown head that just does not go away. Lots and lots of lacing.

S - A wee bit metallic/acidic. Brought to mind vomit, which is not good. Hints of chocolate syrup and coffee.

T - Straight chocolate syrup and coffee. Very sweet and toasty. A strange, pectin-like taste that's almost like that of apple juice (??).

M - More watery than I expected. Flat feeling.

D - Very filling. It is an oatmeal stout, after all... Not too bad, but I've had better (see Barney Flatts review).

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a Pint Glass from a 355ml(12oz) bottle.

First time drinking this, heard great things, hoping it lives up to the hype.

A- Dark amber/black. Barely able to see through it. Nice head that fades continuously.

S - Overwhelming. Having trouble deciphering all the scents. On top of the usual Stout suspects, think I smell a tiny bit of fruit. My nose could just be off. Smells awesome though.

T - Light surprisingly. I was hoping for some more bold flavors so I'm a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel - Nothing remarkable.

D- Seems like it could be a session type if its a cold winter night.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - when poured into a pint glass this beer looks great, dark brown/black appearance is amazing.

S - a little disappointing I really had a high expectation on this one. Sweet smell not to over whelming but still the look doesn't fit the smell.

T - not what you would expect, very nutty, sweet taste, pretty good but not knock out.

MF - darn good

O - I like it, and you will too. It is not one of those stouts that will have you telling your friends but it is good enough to drink on a cold night.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

*liked it in the brown bottle not shit struck, would drink for free*

app: stoutish

smell: slight sour, good roasty toasty black malts in there. some richness, and a unique water smells for sure.;

taste: nice and rich yet smooth and balanced. A great all around everyday stout that will not scare away all the girl scouts that only drink weak beer. I must say brown bottles... HOORAY. living in GA I have only tasted sour weak versions of this beer that make me say WORST! but this is drinkable and worthy of its ka hootsy it gets.

mf: fine

drinkable?? yes, glad I finally get to taste a not ruined example of the beer, it does have a bit of a malty thickness that bulilds that may slow down a dehydrated drinker.

3.61/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle at around 57F into a pint glass.

A - Best part of this beer for me. Really great head developed, even though I poured mostly down the side. Cocoa brown and creamy, really long lasting. The body is dark brown and opaque until held right up to the light, and then appears rich burgundy.

S - Very malty and roasted grain. Maybe just a trace of sweet alcohol.

T - The malt is most present, some smokiness and a touch of the oatmeal at the finish. To be totally honest its bland for me, in comparison to all of the other Oatmeal Stouts I've tried this year (and that is nearing a dozen as of this writing).

M - Nice and creamy when quaffed right away, as it appears. It is a little bitter and it finishes very clear, pretty nicely done.

O - Theres nothing wrong with it but I am not wowed. American micros are brewing better examples of the style and they are easier on the wallet too. Those are the ones I will be going back to.

3.61/5  rDev -14%

A - Rich dark brown, creamy light brown head that starts course and fades to fine bubbles but stays thick atop the beer. Excellent!

S - Maple, old leaves, chocolate mixed with cold coffee at the tail end.

T - Toasty, charred (in a good way), a little semi-sweet chocolate.

MF - Big, full, loads the tongue without being overly carbonated.

D - I could have a couple. It's not something I can drink all night.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, a bit let down with this as I was sure it would be great. Reviews seem to support it too but I just think it pales in comparison to their organic chocolate stout and nut brown ale which are favs.

L: Pours the deepest darkest brown with a beautiful 2 finger head if poured correctly. As the head recedes there is some beautiful lacing. It really clings.

S: First sign I might not be a fan of this one. Malt of course but also light scents of leather, oatmeal and bread.

T: Drinkable but not what I thought it would be. Almost a generic taste. Very smooth but hmmm.... just nothing special about it. What am I missing? This is a 94 on BA? Taste matches smell almost to a T. A touch of rubber bike tire inner tube air. A touch of carbon paper, maybe Moxie. Damn I want to like this.. :(

F: Feel is typical Samuel Smith. Smooth drinking with a slight bit of overcarb which gives it a zing on the tongue. Not as good as their other beers I have tasted though. Probably because there is little sweetness to push back on the zing.

Overall I am not a hater but wouldn't buy this again. I was sure it was going to be special. To me the organic chocolate stout is light years ahead of this. Maybe I just like sweet stouts. This is like a base stout that has not had it's flavor added yet. Might be me, probably is.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very subtle in all its departments except the malted barley. Didn't really get the robustness I was looking for, and seemed almost watered down. Guess I was looking for an oatmeal stout that would smack me in the face with flavor.

3.61/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a clear bottle that I thought was a brown bottle a few hours ago.

A deep, Deep purple, almost black body with 5% light coming through. 2 inch thick head, light brown. Very pleasing appearance.

S Dark molasses

T Dark Chocolate, molasses, not overly alcoholic or heavy though, a gentle darkness if you will. One of the best Stouts that I have ever had. I am not a stout fan but this one is pretty good!

M Certainly full. It has the feel of a mouthful of bread.

D Fair due to heaviness but aren't all stouts?

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours what seems black but appears deep dark red when held up to the light. Good carbonation coming up with a really creamy, fluffy beige head. Solid half rings of lace half way down the glass and a half finger of retention.

S - Roasty, cola, brown sugar, cereal, chocolate.

T - Cola, brown sugar, chocolatey sweetness. Roasted coffee beans. Cola note comes on stronger than I'd like. Flavour comes out richer and chocolatier as it warms but the cola flavour still lingers there.

M - Good carbonation, roasted coffee bean and dry finish with some cola. Creamy medium body.

O/D - Cola note holds it back, otherwise it's not too shabby. On the sweeter end of the spectrum. Not too shabby.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)