Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
4.21/5
Exceptional
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

#981

Ratings: 6,701 |  Reviews: 2,297

2.04/5  rDev -51.5%

Pours black with creamy and thick two finger head. Very attractive looking beer. The head is big and thick with a good amount of lacing.

For such a low alcohol beer the major aroma i get is alcohol. I get a bit of roasted malts but not much else. No chocolate or coffee flavors that i'm used to.

I don't know if i have a bad bottle or what, but this beer is borderline awful. A slight roasted maltiness but then theres a sour rotten flavor thats leaves a horrible aftertaste. Absolutely no complexity at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and very acidic.

Drinkability is terrible. This is my first official drainpour. It's making my stomach churn. I have no idea what the problem is. I really don't think this is a bad bottle. I just think i really don't like this beer at all. I was expecting a world class beer when i bought this for $4.49. I'm extremely disappointed.
I cannot recommend this one. However lots of people love this beer so i guess you'll have to try it for ourself and make up your own mind.

2.18/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured a deep amber color with a small creamy head that disappeared quickly to a fine lacing. Aroma was of toasted malts, mouthfeel was bland & light in carbonation. Taste was bland as well.....nothing but malts with an unpleasant aftertaste. I love oatmeal stouts but i couldnt even finish this one. Had to force down the half of a pint i actually was able to drink. Wouldn't seek it out again nor drink it if it was offered to me for free. Highly disappointed.

2.2/5  rDev -47.7%

2.2/5  rDev -47.7%

2.22/5  rDev -47.3%

I know...this is a world class rated beer.
And I like...no LOVE oatmeal stouts.
This was my second bottle of this brew and I wasn't impressed. I may be spoiled with more American versions of Oatmeals out there.
Poured a deep, deep amber black with a small cream head that disappeared quickly to a fine lacing.
Aroma was of sweet toasted or burnt malts...I missed smelling any chocolates or coffee.
Mouthfeel was thin and weak to me....very light in carbonation.
Taste was sort of bland...sweet malt but nothing fresh or standoffish...again, no chocolates or coffee and an unpleasant aftertaste..possibly old bottles, although my tastings have been months apart and from different sources.
Slightly sweet aftertaste with no noticable alcohol burn.
I could have finished the bottle but simply didn't want to. Moved on to a Black Hart stout and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

2.22/5  rDev -47.3%

Looks nice, with a fluffy light-brown head. Smells pretty funky, some plasticity and acidity. Flavor starts nice enough, although too sweet for my liking. Good molasses in there with the roasted grains. Finish is pretty bad, kind of like what I think varnish would taste like. Although I admire the distinctness of this brew and its fermentation flavors, I find it to be very unpleasant. Poor aroma and poor finish. How is this rated so high? I would like to see people's thoughts on this in blind taste tests so that there is no bias towards this popular brewery.

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

2.27/5  rDev -46.1%

Although Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is supposed to be one of the classic stouts and a standard of the style, I found this one to be a most unpleasant experience.

The pour looked fine - color and and carbonation all seemed appropriate. Things went ugly from there, though.

The aroma was big -- and sour. Terms like waxy, plasticy, and "smells like Murphy's Oil Soap" flew around the table.

Thin body and soapy flavor rounded out this nasty glass.

Fully 3/4 of the people in the party said this stuff is nasty and NOT recommended. 1/4 liked it well enough and would try it again.

All I can figure from this is that this 6pack must have been mistreated, I will try again, from a different retailer, and see if I see things differently next time, but this one was nasty.

2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

Got the 19oz? bottle that I never poured out into a glass so I can't really speak to the appearance.

The smell was not what I expected. I expected a more oatmeal-centric smell but the pungent hops overpowered. You can definitely smell a healthy dose of barley as well but I didn't really pick up on anything else which was quite surprising

The taste to me was underwhelming especially for such a highly rated stout. I prefer complex and balanced stouts (this one is a bit on the hoppy side) that leave you with different layers of taste form inception to aftertaste. I love tasting chocolate/coffee/fruits/etc in a stout and this had none of that. I personally found this stout quite one dimensional and boring.

Mouthfeel was nothing special.

It's not a bad stout so I rated drinkability slightly higher but since I specifically tried it after seeing the 90 it scored here I was left scratching my head on this one.

2.3/5  rDev -45.4%

One was enough. Just wasn't my cup of tea. A bit pricy for an average stout. Although it was easy to drink, it lacked any kind of lingering aftertaste. Tried it again, and haven't changed my mind one bit. Maybe a little. Liked it less than the first time. After tasting "Storm King" I dropped my rating of this beer another point in taste!

2.37/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again.

2.37/5  rDev -43.7%

Outstanding my ass!

Appearance: Aggressive pour produced almost no head whatsoever. Pitch black body. Not impressed.

Nose: An off moldy aroma. Big time raisin.

Taste: Acidic, fruity. raisin. Day-old coffee. Sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Way over carbonated. Harsh finish. This is an oatmeal stout. It should be smooth, but it's not.

This beer was tough to get down. Actually, I didn’t even finish the bottle. Based on other BA reviews, I'm assuming this was not the freshest of bottles. However, I'm reviewing this beer as is since Samuel Smith makes no attempt to ensure the freshness of their beer (i.e. clear bottles, no born-on/exp date).

2.42/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

It's hard to review this one because the taste and smell were hardly distinctive for me at all. What smells like faint coffee ends up tasting like dirty, somewhat sweet water, and the mouthfeel is perhaps even worse (water with a hint of bland carbonation).

2.45/5  rDev -41.8%

I was really surprised not to like this beer, after all the hype it gets on this site and the fact that i usually love oatmeal stouts. but this was just way too sweet and had a very off flavor to me, also the mouthfeel was too thin for the style i thought, one of my least favorite stouts to date. i guess a lot of people disagree with me on this one but i just didn't care for it.

2.46/5  rDev -41.6%

This is the legendary Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. It's got a score 91, outstanding, currently. So what's not to like? It looks good with a black body topped by a brownish head. It smells okay but the taste is a tremendous disappointment. Think a few onces of coffee with chocolate syrup added to a shaken bottle of Perrier.

I've had this before and I remember enjoying it, so this bottle could have been treated poorly, but the brewery uses clear bottles so they are certainly not the victim here. I will most likely try another bottle in the future (not the near future) with hopes for the best.

2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

Did not like this at all. No idea how it has such a high rating.

2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

I had pretty high expectations for this beer and after the first taste I thought it would be a beer that I would buy again. About halfway through however, there was an off flavor of sorts which could only be compared to rotting fruit. I did finish it but I was tempted to pour it out. Perhaps the fact that I spent $3.99 on it kept me from not finishing it. Overall, a very disappointing purchase.

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 4.21 out of 5 with 6,701 ratings