Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,257 | Ratings: 6,509
4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Deep brown pour with aroma of roast and chocolate. Sweet and soft on the palate. Very good representation of the style. If this were the only stout, I'd be a happy guy!

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

The first time I had this it tasted horrible and I was wondering what was going on. I realized I had a skunky stout and decided to give it another go. This time it was like I had hoped it would be. Awesome. Lots of flavor. Not as much oatmeal flavor as I had expected but that was ok. Very roasted in nose and on the tongue. Roasted barley hits me first with malt and caramel sweetness. It proceeds to be very roasted but also creamier in the middle. Earthy tones and burnt hops are there to mellow the sweetness a bit. Finishes short and sweet. I want more.

edit: I have had this one a few times recently and it has definitely become one of my favorites. Also, the oatmeal taste is more prevalent now. I upped my ratings to correspond with how I feel about this stout now.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have a soft spot in my heart for this beer as my wife bought it (as part of the Samuel Smith sampler) on our honeymoon. I was surprised that I hadn't reviewed it yet so now is good time to rectify this error.

Pours a glorious dark brown almost black with a tan head.

Subtle slightly toasty with a bit of red wine aroma.

Very dry with some bittersweet chocolate notes. Very rich and earthy. Picking up some cola and caramel notes.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel and some creamy flavor notes.

Very well balanced.

Exceptionally tasty.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Looks like most other stouts. Near pitch black, opaque liquid, with a tan head. The flavor really blows me away. Huge coffee, chocolate, and vanilla flavors. This is maybe the most flavorful Stout I have come across. Definitely a dessert beer, that I could not even think about sessioning. This is one that has a lot going on, and improves as it warms.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

The head is lasting and thick, brownish, silky and very smooth with fine dense bubbles. The body is of a totally opaque black color, in which I could see myself perfectly as I was trying to evaluate the color of the beer.

The smell is very enjoyable but brighter than for the taddy porter: some coffee and some caramel; some dark fruits, maybe raisins and figs, and hints of yeast. The brighter aspect of the malts may come from the oatmeal, I don't know.

I had a hard time identifying specifically the oatmeal in the taste. The taste shows toasted malt notes, a coffee-like character, and a distinct fruity character. I had a light strawberry impression at one point, and the brew was definitely fruitier and sweeter than I initially thought. A great dark chocolate or trufle feeling comes in the finish.

The mouthfeel shows an incredible smoothness; this beer is so enjoyably creamy. But at the same time it remains greatly light and drinkable, with a very pleasing level of carbonation. The finish is sweeter and more "aired" than I expected, the beer's almost breathing in my mouth. Great.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a thick looking oil black color with about 2/5 of an inch of beige head, can't see through this one. Fair head retention, and leaves some broken spotty lacing. Smells of semi bright fruity citrus notes, grapes, apple, pair, raisins, a wonderfully rich toffee, chocolate, and caramel follow. Oats, wheat bread, lightly toasted malts on the finish, indulgent & sweet dessert like aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of lite fruity apple, grape, and pair, followed by a rich blow of overly indulgent toffee, mild coconut, caramel, chocolate, molasses, and coffee notes. Pretty much has a dark chocolate bitterness, some wheat bread & oat flavors, as well as some nuttiness on the finish. Very sweet & rich overall, wonderful! Mouthfeel is hardy, smooth, silky, creamy, thick & full bodied! I think I even felt some sediment going down, I could be wrong though.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - This is an outstanding stout! I was blown away with the richness of this beer, as well as the outstanding mouthfeel! I loved everything about this Stout, this thing hits the spot. Nearly flawless, and did I mention that it was overly indulgent? I could definitely have a couple pints on a toasty evening, sitting in front of a fire, ah. The drinkability is very high on this one, and I highly recommend that you try this. Cheers!

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from 18.7 oz. bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass.

Pours near black with red highlights when held up to the light. Big fluffy two finger tan head drops down to a centimeter and lasts the whole session and leaves some lacing along the way.

Aroma is sweet overall. Tones of chocolate, coffee, and a slight fruitiness.

Flavor is of roasted malts, lots of chocolate and some coffee. Some fruit towards the end that isn't quite distinguishable because the hops come through and coat the tongue.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth. I would say silky. Excellent carbonation.

Everything comes together well in this brew. To me this is the standard for oatmeal stouts and I highly doubt I will find one better tasting than this, hence the rating.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

It passed the no light test, so it was safe to drink. Head was tan and just enough to let you know it is to be appreciated on many levels . The aroma was of roasted malts.

The taste was like drinking a licorice stick. It brought back fond memories. It was just sweet enough and the malts were not overpowering. I am not a big malt man, but I can make this a regular among my APA's and Wheats.

It's an easy drink that doesn't demand a finely tuned taste to appreciate. The carbonation was not overpowering like you see with some hoppy ales. It felt good in the mouth, not too thick.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured to a tulip glass on St. Patrick's Day.

A - Beautiful beer! Nearly black with ruby highlights. Thick light tan head that stays to the bottom of the glass.

S - Rich and complex. Dark roast malt, bittersweet chocolate, hints of coffee. Light grainy undertones. Low earthy hops, but the roast malt is the star.

T - Similar to aroma. Rich, dark roasty malt. Prominent chocolate, burnt toast. Oats come through as a light grainy complement to the roast malt. Moderate hop bitterness balances the malt perfectly.

M - Medium to medium-full body but remaining highly quaffable. Medium carbonation helps balance the malt richness.

O - Really sorry I waited so long to try this one! One of the best stouts I've had. This is sure to become a regular beer for me.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

What else can I say? Black-black colour with a thick, creamy, sticky, lasting, tan head. Fantastic complex, sweet and dark malt nose. Roasted malts and filling, oaty sweetness dominate the palate, some caramel and toffee tones with a shade of bitterness to keep the balance. Ultra smooth, medium-heavy boady that is creamy and calming.

A mouthful of velvety sweetness. Who needs a dry Irish stout when you have those sweet English brews at your disposal. Absolutely a must for any beer drinker. Drink, Drink. Cheers!

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Just stopped by East Milton Liquors to try something different and grabbed this and West Coast's Imperial Stout. Going to be smooth and chill night.

Appearance: The beer poured a one finger off yellow head and the color is pitch black. Leaves lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: I can smell some chocolate and the roasted aromas produced from the malt.

Taste: Delicious. This beer has a nice blend to it. It is smooth and silky. You got hints of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, a little oatmeal, and a little vanilla. It all mixes well with each other and make me want to take another sip.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a little bit of carbonation. It went down smooth and finished dry. So good, I took many more sips to let it wander.

Overall: I have had this beer before and would purchase it again. Very easy to drink and would buy another bottle or order it on draft if it were ever available. Sammy Smith has been around for hundreds of years ans this is a good staple from their beer selection. I am happy I bought it tonight.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

This is the best oatmeal stout I have ever had! It sits nicely in the mouth, and goes down as smoothly as cold milk. The smell is better than that of most beers, and the taste is rich but not overwhelming. Also, it doesn't have as much of a thick or "heavy" feel as most stouts.

This is a beer worth saving for special occasions because it has such a splendid flavor. I recommend this oatmeal stout to all connoisseurs of stouts and porters.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a pint from a bottle. Decent frothy head - caramel-colored lacing lasts throughout. Deep brown color looks great under the head.
Toasted, sweet, malty aroma - truth in advertising - like oatmeal cookies.
Sweetness comes to mind first in taste - unusual for a stout. Oatmeal/Chocolate chip. Hop presence seals this deal.
Mouthfeel is smooth - carbonation is well-balanced for a stout.
Overall a SUPERIOR, different, and TASTY stout. Highly recommended - especially for the holidays! Cheers!

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

I am sorry but this has to be one of the best beers ever made. A staple of my early craft years, I had long forgotten how good it was. I picked up a bottle on the local shelf on my way home tonight and cracked it open after dinner, poured into a pint glass and consumed on 08/13/2010.

Perfect dark brown color with a creamy tan head that reached about an inch up the side of the glass and had incredible retention. One of the best looking beers of any style I have ever seen, looking at it now some twenty minutes in the thick coating all along the glass is immense.

Aroma is sweet roasted malts, oasts, chocolate, rich an creamy caramel and vanilla. So full and rich, with a creaminess to the feel that is unmatched in the style. Each sip starts with a smooth, almost mousse like feel across the tongue, which evolves into rich chocolate and incredible depth of roasted malts. Light touches of hops come across on the finish giving it the slightest hint of bitterness in the finish before the final taste of sweet malts wrings itself out across the palate.

Overall it really does not get better then this, the hallmark people should strive for.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Very dark brown, almost black with a nice 1/2" tan head that disappated half way through.

S - Caramel, Chocolate, Coffee, sweetness

T - VERY complex. Every time I took a sip I swore I tasted something different. The most overwhelming taste is the molasses and chocolate taste with a slight oatmeal taste.

M - medium carbonation and medium to full body..

D - This is hands down the most complex and delicious beer that has ever touched my lips. If you want to quit drinking swill and start enjoying GOOD beer, start here!

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Balck wonderful brew with nice foamy tan head that falls to nice tan ring following the beer down. Smells of roasted malts, oats good earthy smelling brew of substance. Taste is perfect roasted malt, sweet oats with hints of coffee, chocolate, carmel and more sweet wonderful brew with touch of bitterness at the end to bring eveything together perfectly. Mouthfeel is great, you could almost live on this beer alone my favorite stout as of present can't imagine getting much better then this. Why can't all beer be this good?

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Black/brown appearance. 3/4" tan head, nice and foamy from an aggressive pour. Didn't last long, but left nice lacing.

Nice nose. Roasted malty goodness with coffee overtones.

Flavor and mouthfeel are tops. Dark and chewy, rich and satisfying. Tangy with malt, coffee, chocolate. I think it is one of the best stouts around, period.

Extraordinarily drinkable. Previously, I never really considered this to be a session beer, although I liked it well enough. After this most recent tasting, I think I could easily drink this all night.

This is the best Sam Smith's I have ever had, purchased at Harrington's in Chelmsford, MA. Due to the clear bottles they use, it's possible that my previous forays were with light touched beer, or maybe I just failed to truly appreciate the goodness. Whatever the real story, a most excellent beer overall.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

A: A dark black/brown with a nice tan head on it. Hints of ruby when held up to the light.

S: Roasted grains, malty sweetness, oats, and coffee.

T: This is an outstanding oatmeal stout, one of my favorites. Delicious in so many ways. Lots of flavor - chocolate, light coffee, roasted oats, and a nice sweetness to help bring it all together.

M: Like liquid velvet. Smooth and creamy.

D: This is an outstanding oatmeal stout, and one I keep on hand at all times. It's thick and delicious, with an outstanding drinkability.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tiny cascading bubbles transition to a thick, tan three fingered head with the consistency of a pillow. Dark brown with red hues around the edge of the glass. Love the look. Smell: Licorice, bitter chocolate, sough dough bread. Classic stout flavor.. well balanced, malty, rich and goes down smooth. Mouthfeel: Dry, medium to heavy texture. Overall: No better stout in my opinion when you want a break from the high ABV versions of the style and you just want that straight up, traditional, dark ale goodness.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

A nice dark stout with great carbonation a good head that lasts. A slight metallic smell that comes from the old traditional pots that are used. None of that is infused into the flavor though.

The first thing that comes to mind after a small sip is walnut. That flavor is followed by chocolate and of course oatmeal. Those flavors cover well the bitterness that is found in stouts.

Samuel Smith stouts have always been great and this beer is nothing less than excellent. It is pleasurable in the mouth and does not leave a bad aftertaste. I enjoyed this beer with every sip.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Pours to an opaque dark brown, with a thick, light-brown, long lasting head. Thick, sticky lacing.
Smell: Coffee, chocolate, sweet malts, and oats.
Taste: Coffee and chocolate up front, with a nice, bitter, hoppy finish. Very, very good. Sweet malts and caramel make an appearance, as well as some nutty flavors.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth and little carbonation. Alcohol is present, yet not overbearing.
Drinkability: The subtle alcohol reminder mixed with an excellently sweet, coffee flavor makes this beer very hard to set down. Smooth, warming, and great tasting.

The Old Tadcaster
550 ml poured into imperial pint glass
Very dark browinsh color with red tints on the edges. This is topped with a thick foamy tan head that is sticky and leaves laces down the glass...BEAUTIFUL!
Malty smells with a nice nutty/chocolate note. There is an earthy characteristic but also a coffee smell.
MMM good on the taste. Chocolate backed up with a nutty, coffee taste. Very smooth rich tastes with a thick body that goes down like syrup. Tasty bits of coffee build up the aftertaste and very sublte notes of alcohol. The body and drinkability on this are outstanding to say the least. Creamy milky tastes with noticable oats and a nice taste of black strap molases.
Again this is a very solid stout and one that I wish I could duplicate on the homebrew scene.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

amazing! this was really really solid. poured a nice black with brown hues in the light. really nice looking. aroma has notes of chocolate fruitiness. the taste is very smooth, kind of like roasted coffee meets butterscotch. awesome. very drinkable, very light. yet very full in flavor. definitly one of the best beers i've had in my life. thank you kate! i love you.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Obsidian in color, with a firm and ever lasting head, this is it. It (beer) just does not get much better than this!
Pours like liquid midnight from a bottle, sweet, and some what musty, this brew slakes any thirst, cures any ill, and takes out the garbage, if you drink enough of it... A stoutman’s stout, this is something to write home about!

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 550ml (One pint) bottle into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

Appears black as hell like an Imperial Russian Stout and quite thick, though not as thick as one, which is good as a pint of Imperial Stout would be nigh on impossible to drink easily.

Smells malty and sweet, lip-smackingly appetising. I'm looking forward to this.

Upon tasting I get malt, chocolate, a general sweetness though this is not overpowering or indeed very pronounced at all. It is fairly dry yet earthy and rich, complimenting the sweetness, both working to ensure neither one is too overbearing.

Overall a wholesome, classic English brew which I definitely will be purchasing again.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)