Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England)
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,262 | Ratings: 6,532
4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a deep dark brown with a nice head that lingers well. Great smell with hints of molasses with chocolate. Taste is fantastic, so smooth and well balanced. There is little to complain about here, possibly the best Oatmeal Stout around. I've had this case for a while and it just seems to get better.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: poured from a 20 imp oz bottle into a nonic pint glass, pours a very dark red brown with a huge tan head that lingers leaving excellent lacing, clear

S: chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, slight hops, vanilla, coffee

T: sweet malt profile up front, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, finishes with a pleasant hop bitterness

M: oily and thick with a great mouth coating, lighter carbonation but far from flat

O: this sets the bar for oatmeal stouts, flavors are balanced and not overpowering, low alcohol content keeps it refreshing

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

This brew pours darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. Its massive whitish tan head lingers around long after the beer is gone. The aroma is everything that can be hoped in an oatmeal stout. Creamy, nutty, chocolaty, roasted malt. The taste is quite simply as perfect as the aroma. Creamy and chocolaty. The mouthfeel is smooth beyond discription. Overall, this is one of the best brews I have ever had.

Served in a 12oz bottle.

A: Awesome ultra dark black with a nice brown head with some good lacing. Personally, I think that the head for the most part depends on how you pour it. I pour it the right way so that their is not so much head. But anyway, a very good appearance.

S: A nice molasses aroma with chocolate and a hint of oatmeal. Also a nice coffee aroma. Overall a pleasant smell.

T: Wow, what can I say? I was a little hesitant about an oatmeal stout but damn was it worth it! It has a slight oatmeal taste with your usual flavors, coffee, chocolate, molasses. It also has an earthy tone throughout it that really brings it all together.

M: Very creamy, but not so milky if that makes sense. It has a great body to it, very rich.

D: I could definitely sit down and savor the four-pack I bought it in. It is rich but not so overwhelming that you can only drink one.

Notes: I was really impressed with this Beer. If you have not tried this, go and find out where to get one, it's worth it.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

A- Almost nearly pitch black, but when held to a light you can see some ruby hues around the edges. The head is nice and thick and delicious looking with some amazing retention. The head is so heavy it dimples the top of the beer.

S- There is a lot going on here and I am loving it. Chocolate, raisins... a very complex aroma. Sweet with a hint of roastiness and brown sugar.

T- Very tasty. Some chocolate and assorted darker fruits, very light coffee flavor. There is something really special here and I absolutely love this. Has a slight English ale flavor to it, which is usually not my thing, but it is brilliant here.

M- Very light and creamy on the palate, perfect.

D- I was amazed by this, I am almost speechless. This makes me want to go back and revisit their Imperial Stout. The best oatmeal stout I have come across. I could drink this all night.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance - solid brown and nearly black but if you look closely you see some red and brown. Toffee colored head which was sizable and tons of lacing.

Smell - strongest is the malts and barely followed immediately by the oats. It's a very sweet scent and it only gets better in it's taste.

Taste - the oats come through with the malt and it is absolutely delicious. With the malt you get the slightest hint of bitterness and it tastes like a real stout. You don't get anything like coffee or chocolate just pure oats.

Mouthfeel - carbonation is upfront but then fades. Perhaps my only critique is unlike other stouts its very thing and light where as traditionally it is a thicker consistency.

Drinkability - could easily drink a few in a night before it got too heavy for me. Truly a delicious oatmeal stout and will continue to drink it again and again.

Poured into a glass.
Oh, a good one!
The head came alive, thick, off white and didn't go away.
Color was deep brown/black, good balance between head and body.
Smell had caramel, coffee, nut, and flower.
Taste was outstanding. Hints of chocolate, caramel, anise, nut and dark fruit. Someone mentioned raisins, I didn't quite get that.
Very easy to drink...after the first sip. Your tongue has to wake up.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Very dark black stout color with a rich tan head
Smells of coffee and caramel
This Oatmeal Stout has a very rich thick almost gritty mouthfeel
Nice creamy taste and a sweet caramel finish. The lower carbonation alows you to pour this beer easily.
Very good oatmeal stout one of my favorite and at $3.99 a bottle it better be! One of my favorites

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Been hearing rave reviews about this one for a while, but I've just recently been enjoying stouts, so thought I would give it a try.

Pours thick with a medium, creamy coffee head. The beer itself is thick, oil like. Smells of heavy malt with a lot of chocolate tones. The taste is fantastic, with a lot of chocolaty roasty malt, with a bitter finish, coming in the form of roasted coffee.

Great stout, will be drinking again.

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - pitch black body under four fingers of dark tan/light brown frothy head; excellent lace; beautiful!

S - rich caramel and toasted malt; coffee; oats; nuts; a faint fruity note

T - roasted malt with caramel sweetness; bitter chocolate/coffee flavor balances this brew very well, especially in the creamy, bittersweet finish.

M - smooth and velvety; medium body with average carbonation; great mouthfeel!

O - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout got me addicted to craft beer. It looks beautiful in the glass, smells inviting, feels great on the tongue, and offers a very complex and well-balanced flavor. Worth every cent!

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

This was my first Samual Smith. I was also amazed by this thick, rich, black brew.I also never would of guessed it came in a clear bottle.Its dark, full of body,tan head and glass lace was very drinkable. Nice for dessert.Now I cant wait to try an Imperial Stout!

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a 355ml bottle. No freshness date.

A- Pours an incredible opaque dark drown. Nice bubbly 3 finger head. Lacing sticks to the glass like glue!!

S- Strong malt presence on the nose. Sweet caramel notes.

T- Malty sweet with caramel/ toffee notes. Not too sweet, it doesn't linger.

M- Very smooth on the front and crisp carbonation at the back that cleans the palate and leaves you wanting another sip.

D- This is a very impressive beer. I can't believe that I waited this long to try it. I can see myself enjoying this beer often- in small quantities. One or two per session would suffice for me. All around on e of the best that I have had yet.

Serving type - bottle

Appearance - black, black as night with a nice head

Smell - not alot of smell, very mild stout with a little sour oatmeal smell.

Taste - Oh yes, Dark chocolate hits you first, then semi sour oatmeal and rasberry finishes your platte.

Drinkability - This is a amazing beer. It has everything. Its sweet then sour, then stout, then mild. Its a all in one beer that is a pleasure to drink. I usually pick up a 4 pack monthly. I cant go many days without enjoying one of these. Ive yet to drink a better oatmeal stout!

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

First off, thanks to Swigger for the brew, it was a trade from our last tasting (finally just felt right).

Look: Poured into my pub glass a dark brown with a three finger caramel cola head with dissipation to a 1 finger head that lingers.

Nose: Roasted malts, slightly oaty. A hint of bitter chocolate?

Taste: Well balanced and smooth on the pallate, all the oat and bitter chocolate notes come back in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, just like I believe an Oatmeal stout should be.

Drinkability: Superior drinkability. If, that is, I'm feeling like a slightly sweet beer, I could probably drink this all night. But on a college budget, I can't really afford to.

This was the overall best in show at our recent tasting of 11 totally different brews at my place among about a dozen people who aren't normally beer drinkers outside the Macro stuff, but considering some people came back for more. I'm pleased to see that this helped launch some of my friends, including my significant other into darker beers.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

One of my all time favorites. Beautiful pour of deep brown with ruby highlights. Nice frothy head. Excellent aroma of toasted grain, mocha, fruit and on and on. Words don't do the taste justice... Flawlessly smooth and silky presence on the palate. Perfect semi sweet finish which makes this brew so completely drinkable. Bar none a marvelous creation that deserves the attention.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is dark to where no light can go through. It barely had a head to it. It has a very sweet smell to it. Able to taste the roasted malts. A lot better as it warms.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: slight light coming thru on sides with good head retention S: raisin, brown sugar, syrup T: sweet, roasted malt, raisin M: medium velvety and clean finish

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

I am a beer vendor and the receiving woman at one of my old stores and her husband adore this beer. She asked me if I could bring it into her store but we were out of stock at our warehouse. So I found a 4pk at another account and brought it to her, she was over the moon about this beer. Normally I would not drink many stouts. I ended up finding another 4pk and had to buy it to try it and give her and her husband each a beer out of the pack. I've never open a beer in my car but I had to see what the fuss was all about so the second I got out of the store I popped one open. In the bottle it seemed a little to carbonated but it tasted really really... Normal not like a coffee or chocolate stout, this shocked me. So I get home and pour it into a pint glass and was absolutely shocked at how dark the beer was because having first tried it in the bottle it didn't taste burnt or really stout like other very dark beers. After pouring it into the pint glass the over carbonation went away and the beautiful tan head laced the glass ever so slightly. It is a wonderful dark beer that will surprise you. This is my first ever beer review. In conclusion this is a dark oatmeal stout that has a balance between flavors that is unprecedented

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours black under a 3” frothy tan foam collar that produces thick lace.
S: Not a lot of aroma, some light roast.
T: Dark malts, roast, coffee, oat creaminess, cola, faint fruit. A light grainy astringency and mild hop bitterness balance the light sweetness from the malt.
F: Very creamy, moderate carbonation and full body. Has the oatmeal stout silky texture.
O: Very easy to drink with a good balance of flavors in a rich creamy texture.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Wow, this is an amazing beer. It pours a nice dark color. There was a very nice head which lasts for a long time. The small was of nice sweet malts. The mouthfeel was amazingly smooth, and the taste was exceptional. This is a stout which everyone must sample. Enjoy!

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured 550mL bottle with foil wrapped top into 34oz mug. Oily brown pour, jet black in the glass with thick tan head that sticks around. Smell is creamy coffee with a bit of chocolate. Taste is like the smell; creamy and sweet at first, then roasted coffee and bitter chocolate, with a bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel is creamy and full. It's no wonder this is the top rated beer of its style on here.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Almost completely black with a nice, mild carbonation and a lovely tan head that dissolves into a beautiful lacing.

Smell: Strong malts upfront with a much more reserved earthy, biscuity smell on the tale end. A touch of coffee his the nose as well.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth and creamy. Very light on the tongue and goes down incredibly easy.

Taste: A great, roast flavor from the get-go. A nice, roasty taste comes next with caramel and some coffee notes. A great, mild hop flavor on the tail end with a clean finish provided by the oatmeal.

Overall: An excellent offering of this particular style, one of my favorite oatmeal stows out there and one of the best overall dark beers I've yet to taste. Far better than other offerings such as Guinness.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite all time beers. Had it on tap in Boston several years ago and never looked back. Undeniably one of the best stouts you will ever drink. Smooth, creamy and so good it can be dangerous. Bottles not quite as good as on tap so if you can find it in a bar do not pass it up!

Poured into a snifter.

4.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of thick, creamy light brown head. Great retention and plenty of lacing. Nearly perfect here.

4.5 S: Plenty of strength in the aroma for a 5% stout. Oatmeal is very apparent with healthy amounts of roasted barley, dark roast coffee, and a hint of dark chocolate. Also, this is surprisingly nutty, which I wholey welcome. Very nice.

5.0 T: Again, very flavorful for such a small beer. Light lactose-like sourishness. Roasted and toasted malts. Coffee is full force with nuttiness right behind. Some molasses and just a touch of breadiness. Really good!

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Moderate, but lively carbonation. Super smooth, but I wish the body was a bit thicker making this creamier. Still, not bad for how light it is.

5.0 D: Even with some minor issues in the mouthfeel, this is one hell of a beer. Sam Smith is pretty much the king of UK. Just about everything I've had is tops for the country. This is exceptionally tasty given how small of a beer it is and allows you to drink plenty of it, which is why I wish I had more.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A very nice dark stout, that when held to light I only imagine that there's a little reddish-brown color around the outsides of the glass. I light tan head that stuck around for a while and left a nice sticky lace down the sides. The flavor is sweet and malty with a hint of bitter-chocolate. Nice and creamy with a very clean finish and with only 5% abv this is one that I can drink all night. The only reason that I left room for improvement in my score is that it's not GLBC Ohio City.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)