Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,264 | Ratings: 6,557
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Samuel smith knows how to make the oatmeal taste dance around your taste buds and the smoothness to it makes you think it's a coffee drink not a beer. Love the smell after you take a sip of it near your nose it leaves you wanting more of it. The malt flavors are not over powering and coats your mouth with a sticky film that makes me love this stout so much. I would definitely recommend this stout to anybody who would love trying a stout for the first time.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

First off, this sample is one that I received in Oct-Nov 2000. Upon opening, I didn't detect any bad or strange odors, so I decided to go ahead and drink it.

It appeared black as it was being poured with a quick forming dark tan head. The head hung around for the first few drinks than settled down forming a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

Once poured, it let out of sweet, spicy smell that I found pleasing and inviting. I was unsure what to expect from the first taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. It still had a somewhat silky texture, but the flavor seemed to come fast and leave faster. I could taste roasted malts with a hint of coffee and overall it was a pleasant taste considering its age.

Carbonation seemed to hold up well, but I will have to get a fresh sample this weekend to compare it. The after taste was dry and almost non-existent, but still left a slight bitter taste on the sides of the tongue. All in all, I would still consider the taste outstanding.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout

Pours very dark with a thin tan head. Nice even lacing all the way down that lightly coats the sides of your glass with a fine oily film. Pleasant chocolaty smell. Tastes of chocolate, oats, light coffee. Lightly carbonated. This is about as perfect as a stout can get, which is no surprise considering the perfect Imperial Stout made they also brew.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a pint glass. Very very black with not much a head that dissipated rather quickly. Not too much lacing either.

Aroma was exceptional, very malty and "earthy". My beer lingo isn't good enough for me to describe it any other way.

Taste was awesome. Very malty with a bit of oatmeal (who would have guessed) and a nice roasted, bittery flavor.

Mouthfeel was good as well. The bitterness wasn't overwhelming at all, nor was the alcohol very apparent.

Drinkability was good, this isn't my style of choice but I could easily see myself going out and buying a bottle of this on occasion.

Overall this beer was excellent, I prefer the belgian style ales but this stuff was damn good. Thumbs up.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle: Pours with a nice tan, creamy head and a black body. Fine lacing. Aroma of roasted malt. The flavour is rather sweet with a taste of dark malt, notes of black coffee and chocolate. Medium to full bodied. Smooth and light bitter finish. A top beer in this style and very enjoyable too.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

550 ml bottle from an LCBO gift pack

pours black with a full tan head that laces the glass perfectly. the brew has a perfect stout appearnace.

the aromas are of roasted malt, roasted barley and some coffee stand out.

the flavours is slightly sweet with some nice roastiness. well put together and simple.

silky smooth in the mouth and quite easy to drink despite its full mouth feel.

a damn fine stout that i wish i could get year round.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Pours a very dark brown that looks black in the glass. Tons of creamy off white colored head, that leaves good lacing on the glass. Very similar in appearance to their Imperial Stout, but the head is a little closer to white.
S - Smell is complex and a little sour, very similar to the Imperial Stout.
T - Taste is full, malty almost no hoppiness. A little sour in the finish.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy without being unctuous and has a nice dryness to it.
D - This beer is very similar in all respects to their Imperial Stout, but I think it is more drinkable because the sourness seems to have been cut by the dryness of this beer. Overall it's a more enjoyable brew that goes down easier for me. The lower alcohol content also helps the drinkablility.

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Pours an opaque black, with slightly visible brown outer-hues when in the right lighting. Has a healthy, frothy, tan three-finger foam-head which disappears after a while, leaving decent lacing behind.

Smell: Mellow on the nose. Sweet, Earthy hopps with notable molasses and dark roasted malt. A hint of coffee.

Taste: Right off the bat I get a gust of twangy hoppiness, followed by a sweet, roasted malt flavor. Oats/grain with dark chocolate and coffee undertones. Has a dry, bitter-sweet finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel: A slick, somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Medium bodied with a sharp, prickly carbonation tingle.

Drinkability: Better than good drinkability.

Overall: This was quite the treat. I am a fan of Outmeal Stout, and this is one that I would certainly recommend.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A - Pours a big head of about 4 fingers, beige/caramel brown color. The beer itself is jet black, a beautiful and absolute black. The head leaves traces along the glass, but just a little.

S - Mostly vanilla and just a hint of red fruits of sort.

T - Reminds me of the Stone Imperial Russian Stout... but more drinkable. Kind of the same flavor I gathered from that beer: licorice, anise, roasted malts and a coffee and semisweet chocolate aftertaste. Hints of vanilla and alcohol. Hops present but not overwhelming.

M - As the label says, "wonderfully silky and smooth textured". They're completely right, it feels like velvet going down your throat leaving small hints of carbonation (almost indiscernible).

Overall, an exceptionally good stout. As I said, it's kind of like the Stone Imperial Russian Stout, but this one doesn't burn your throat as it goes down. A wonderfully crafted brew that is a must-drink for aficionados and connoisseurs alike.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Smells like sweet dark fruit. Taste is a little sweeter, balanced, and less harsh than the American stouts/porters I've been drinking a lot of lately. The taste reminds me of chocolate, with some faint dark roasted coffee and caramel-esque notes. There is also something else in the background that tastes a little metallic or minerally to me perhaps? Just a little bit of bitterness. I only really detect oatmeal character when I slurp up the head. As with other British beers, this seems to get even better to me as it warms up a bit. Me and this beer go way back, one of the first stouts I tried that I actually liked.

3.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Very great beer, I always love Samuel smith brews. They are one of the most solid companies around for imports here in the US. I love how they look when you pour into a cup, very bubbly and rich dark color. Smell is always great aswell furkin amazing. So why not grab a sam smiths oatmeal stout from your local store.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Pour an almost-opaque mahogany from a 550ml bottle. The thick, tan, foamy head leaves tight lacing. Red highlights when held up to the light. Smells like espresso, sweet malt and dark chocolate with some raisiny scents. Taste is like coffee and toffee with some alcohol in the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, more so as it warms. Another great beer from Samuel Smith.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Picked up a 4 pack of Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout after reading the reviews on this site. I had only had Guinness and Murphys Stout in the past. Well this stout is nothing like those -- sweet tasting -- great smell -- easy to drink -

I don't know that I would pair it with food -- I enjoyed it as an apertif.

The alcohol is hidden in the aroma and chocolate taste -- mouthfeel was much lighter than I anticipated.

Enjoyable and I will have it again.

3.84/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours (from a cool bottle) really dark, nearly opaque brown, with a nice tan, two finger head that stays around for the entire drink.

Smell is mostly fruit, a little malt, and a very faint hint of chocolate.

Taste is qute sweet, as it should be, a little malty, a good hop balance for the maltiness, but really, there's not a lot of anything. I actually found it to be a little bland.

Mouthfeel is fairly smooth and creamy.

Overall it's quite drinkable, maybe because of the relative blandness, but it's not anything I'd turn down by any means.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured out thick and black with a slight red tint. Dense tan head (about 1/4"). Light lacing.

My first reaction was that there was a slight sour smell. Following this there was a yeasty, caramel smell.

Milder than I expected. I don't drink a lot of regular stouts (preferring imperial stouts), so I was pleasantly surprised at the balance between the mild, malty caramel flavor and the slighty hoppy bitterness.

Very smooth, medium bodied feel. Very little tingle from the low carbonation.

Overall, a very nice, well balanced stout. Not overly filling, so I could probably have a couple without feeling like I've had a full meal.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 335ml bottle into an Allagash Witbier glass, the beer appears to be dark drown in color with a moderate tan head. The aroma hints of roasted nuts and chocolate. The beer tastes with hints of caramel, chocolate, nuts, and malt. The mouthfeel is that of a moderately carbonated beer, and is easily drinkable. The beer carries no lacing down the glass, and there is a strong after taste of roasted nuts.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from the 550 ml bottle into a Guiness pint glass.

Appearance- Pours the typical dark stout black with a light tan fluffy head. Lots of chunky patches of lace.

Smell- First thing I thought of was that it had this odd sweet wine like scent. Not something I'm used to in stout. Typical stout scents are less prevalent. Odd.

Taste- Very tasty! Lots of nice sweet chocolatey taste. The roasty stout flavor is not found in this one. The sweetness replaces it I think. Some graininess is present. No trace of that wine-scent in the taste.

Mouthfeel- Thick and smooth. Almost no carbonation. Milk would be an effecive comparison.

Drinkability- As with all the Sam Smith's beers, this one is very easy to take nice big quaffs of! At 5% I could easily down a few pints of this one.

Overall- I'm a huge SS fan. This one isn't my favorite, but it lives up to my standards for this brewery. Not great but pretty good.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%

This is truly an amazing stout. I took this to a BYOB restaurant and poured it into a regular beer glass. It would have been nice if they had a tulip of snifter, but it was still a great beer...

a: pours a dark chocolate color with about a finger of head. i'd recommend pouring this pretty hard for future reference. nice look in the glass but head disappears quickly and doesn't leave much lace.

s: in addition to the standard chocolate and coffee flavors of this style, this beer has rich, smooth, sweet aromas of oatmeal and molasses.

t: sweeter and richer than it is bitter. tastes like it smells, with maybe a little extra roastiness in the mouth. no real hint of hops.

m: very creamy and frothy in the mouth. one of the better feeling stouts that you can get poured out of a glass. rich and full bodied. no alcohol bite that i could find.

o: one of the best widely-distributed stouts you can buy.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Foamy beige head sits on top of a dark and luscious looking beer.

Smell: Wow! It's a heady smell of portwine, prunes, raisins, chocolate, grains - dark and sweet! When reaching almost room temperature I detect a smokiness that does not come through when it is cooler.

Taste: Follows the smell. Rich, dark, dried sweet fruit. Definite notes similar to that of portwine. Soft and smooth with subtle chocolate notes. After taste is portwine-like with coffee. It leaves a little too sweet taste in the mouth when the after tase subsides.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with medium to medium-low carbonation.

Very potent tasting and rich drink. I like to drink it slowly and savor it as a special treat all by itself.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice chocolate flavor and typical dark stout appearance. Low carbonation and light body (for an oatmeal stout) made it easy to drink. The price is a bit high and will keep me from drinking too many of these.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Lately I've been feeling like I should put my reviews up for the beers that defined my early exploration into good beer. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is THE beer. The one that slapped me in the face, and made me realize that there was a whole world out there of better beer. Astonishingly, it is still one of my favorite beers of all time, a beer I still get a frequent craving for, a year and a hundred or so new beers later.

So how does it taste?
Excellent. There's a very sweet taste here that I still can't pin down, and I don't get a lot from other stouts. Kind of like molasses. Some astringency is there too. When I first started drinking this beer I noticed a metallic taste as well, but I can't detect it anymore, which might be attributed to a different pallette. For some reason I'm having hard time identifying the different flavors in this brew, which might be why I like it so much. Oh sure, the usual stout flavors are there, there's some roasted coffee, some bittersweet chocolate. But this beer tastes like it made it's own rules for how it should taste. I haven't had any other beer that tastes quite like this one. Young's comes closest, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Appearance and Smell. Not completely black, there are ruby edges, and light can actually penetrate this beer if it is bright enough/viewed at the right angle. Head is modest, receding to a fine lace. Oddly enough, I know I've had some bottles that produced very little if any head, or lacing, although I don't remember the flavor ever suffering much due to this.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was delighted when I came upon this stout in a little hole-in-the-wall place that had NO redeeming qualities except for keeping this and several other Sam Smith's in stock. People, this is a very nice drink. It pours very dark (not black) and has a pretty thick, tan head that disappears after a few minutes. The smell is nice, lightly sweet and not overwhelming. The taste is similar- you notice caramel (or something that tastes like it) but its not sugary. The taste itself isn't heavy- its hearty and complex, it almost tastes like it should be good for you in a whole-grain kind of way. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected from a stout, but pleasant. It's a heavy, meal-like drink; maybe you could have 2 in one sitting if you ate light beforehand. Overall, if you should find this one, you really need to try it.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Wonderfully rich and dark. Light does not penetrate it very much, and when it does it has a slight redish tint. Nice, tan, creamy head when stays for the duration of the beer. Not too much lacing.

S - I mostly get a rich chocolaty smell coming through. There are slight under tones of coffee. Can smell if from a couple of feet away. Very pleasing.

T - Very full flavor. Initial taste of oatmeal, chocolate, and toffee. Sort of a roasted flavor to it as well. Aftertaste seems predominantly chocolaty in flavor with a slight bitterness to it, almost like dark chocolate.

M - Very smooth beer. Seems perfectly carbonated and slighty creamy.

D - Absolutely perfect drinkability. The flavor and mixture of the smoothness are just perfect. It goes down very well and leaves you with a wonderful aftertaste. Slightly refreshing in a way. A perfect beer to drink during a cold day, as the richness is wonderful.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Very dark brown color with a couple fingers of long lasting thick head.

S: Roasted malts and molasses.

T: Lots of bitter chocolate, touch of coffee, some sweetness

M: Med body, very creamy, very smooth, with very little sticking on the lips. Little carbonation outside of intial pour.

D: I could put these down one after another. Very easy drinking. Excellent value. Would recommond to someone as a replacement for Guinness.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drinking vessel: 16 fl. oz. Irish Guiness pint glass

Visual appeal: dark mahogany, small head, slight lacing

Smell: present but not strong, of raisins, roasted malt, sweet toffee

Flavor: strongly smokey, toffee again

Mouthfeel: creamy, very smooth, slight carbonation

Drinkability: very high

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)