Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England)

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Reviews: 2,263 | Ratings: 6,542
4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a very enjoyable beer and I am glad to have found it at my local rural liquor store.

A: black until you hold it to a light, at which time dark red light filters through the edges.

S: the smell is roasty and malty with no noticeable hop aroma

T: toasted malt, coffee, espresso, and all around goodness.

M: smooth, creamy and silky. medium viscosity.

D: very drinkable, even sessionable at 5% ABV

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Hazed dark brown. Big white pillow head, about 2 inches thick. Great retention overall

S: Roasted chocolate, with hints of a coffee milky sweetness. The smell is absolutely one of the best parts of this beer

T: Very smooth and milky. The taste of the features are not as strong as they smell, but still overall a great taste.

M: Very light, and mild. The smoothness is what you want from a Stout. Mild carbonation, which again, is exactly what I want in a Stout. Finishes sweet with no weird aftertaste

O: I'd buy this beer again and again. Absolutely loved this beer. Recommended for everyone that likes a good coffee/chocolate/oatmeal stout or porter.

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the reason I can't wait for the late fall weather, when it is cool enough to start drinking stouts and porters. It is the standard by which I judge all oatmeals.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep dark brown, almost jet black. Fingernail length tan head which disappeared pretty quickly. Very rich aroma of malt and chocolate. Flavor is similar, though much more intense. It's a bold mix of dark malt, cocoa, and coffee. Faint brown sugar finish. Very rich in taste. Mouthfeel was silky smooth, almost oily. Oatmeal did the trick with this one. Lightly carbonated. Very satisfying stout.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Smells like sweet dark fruit. Taste is a little sweeter, balanced, and less harsh than the American stouts/porters I've been drinking a lot of lately. The taste reminds me of chocolate, with some faint dark roasted coffee and caramel-esque notes. There is also something else in the background that tastes a little metallic or minerally to me perhaps? Just a little bit of bitterness. I only really detect oatmeal character when I slurp up the head. As with other British beers, this seems to get even better to me as it warms up a bit. Me and this beer go way back, one of the first stouts I tried that I actually liked.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I tried this one because it had such a high ranking and I was not disappointed at all. I love the creamy head and 'roasted' taste of this beer. Everytime I go to the liquor store to try a new beer, I keep coming back to this one over and over.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

This was recommended to me by a preacher friend of mine, heh.

Pours opaque, basically as black as night. Holding it up to a light, very little filters through. Head is heavy and endures, leaving lacing from the top of the glass to the very bottom. If a beer can be classified as "beautiful," this one is at the top of the list.

Smells of oatmeal (go figure), coffee and roasted dark malts. The taste is initially sweet, with a bit of bitterness on the back-end. The coffee and malts are again noticeable, and overall it's surprisingly smooth for a stout.

This is easily one of my favorite beers, and is a good one to sit back and sip when you're in a lazy mood and just want to relax. I've introduced it to quite a few folks who enjoy their beer on the stouter and more complex side, and I've yet to hear a complaint. As good as all of the Samuel Smith brews are, this one sits alone at the top IMHO.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into my Lake Louie pint glass. A nice dark stout with lots of carbonation sprigs rising to a browning head. A nice sight when making dinner tonight. The scent of sweet roasted malt was most present. The taste followed as well with only a bit of bitterness. It went down sweet and wet with a medium body - not too heavy and not too thin. This is a nice switch from the stout of a Guiness. This is also a bit more sweet and malty than Gray's. I've not tried other stouts of this type, but I'll definitely keep at least one of these 55ozs around. I will have to compare this to Young's as well.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

The immediately noticable thing about this beer is the smell; as soon as I opened the bottle a slight sweetness was in the air. The pour gives a tall, thin, brown head that dissipates down to almost nothing but a rim of bubbles. The color is deeply black, fully opaque in a pint glass. The full smell is of dark malts with that sugary sweetness.

Not much stands out immediately in terms of taste, some carbonation is present, and the feel is a bit watery but very smooth. It leaves a bit of a doughy residue with a lingering sweetness.

Considering the color and smell, I was expecting more flavor and a thicker feel; however, this seems to be a reasonable drink compared to other oatmeal stouts.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a dark black color and a thick brown head that leaves lacing throughout its life

S: Dark roasted malty oats with chocolate and coffee undertones with a very sweet smell

T: Chocolate and coffee very sweet tasting with caramel malts towards the end of the mouth.

M: Medium mouthfeel with little to no carbonation

D: Very drinkable with a very complex body that changes througout the process.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Served from a bottle poured into a glass that I will call water glass, short stem, small bowl, it fit the entire bottle, used this glass just for variety, I drink so many stouts, got tired of using the Imperial Pint glass.

A: typical dark stout, pitch black in fact with a small copper colored head. This beer left nice lacing on the glass.

S: the biggest scent I got was caramel with a background of coffee and yeast/malt.

T: Yummy! it had a slight coffee and cocoa flavor, slightly sweet but had nice hop bitterness at the finish. as the beer warmed more cocoa flavor came forward.

M: not a thick beer but substantial on the tongue, crisp with that bit of hop bitterness.

I cannot believe I have not tried this beer sooner, someone brought a 4-pack to a beer party I hosted, I did not get around to trying it that night, but there was one bottle left and it took me a month to try this, so glad I did. Since I enjoy stouts so much I should have tried this sooner, but now I will make this a regular in my beer rotation.

2.69/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I thought that this would be a great beer considering the reviews it had gotten on various beer rating sites, however I was slightly disappointed. It wasn't very rich in scent, and didn't carry a lot of flavor, almost watery to say the least.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Very pleasing to the palette and hearty enough to stick to the ribs at the same time. A thick beer with full bodied flavor, but surprisingly smooth! The over all is a rich hop taste with a hint of chocolate. Definitely one of my favorites.

There are many stouts and oatmeal stouts about, but this is hands down my favorite. The aroma, the taste, the color, it just seems perfect. I like to chill this beer just slightly, then pout it into a nice thick beer mug. I could be happy with this beer if it was the only one available forever more! I love it !!!

3.66/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into pint glass.

A - Beautiful silky black body, bubbly mocha head. Orgy of thick, chunky lacing as it goes down.

S - Not really getting great flavours, bit metallic.

T - Didn't know what to expect after the first smell, but silky roast flavours come in lightly, chocolatey in the middle, then a big smokey/roasted flavours at the end leaving an awesome after taste, tastes like I'm still drinking a fair gulp.

M - Perfect mouthfeel, goes downlike beery milkshake.

D - Don't think I could make it a session beer, a couple over a hearty dinner would be awesome tho.

NB. Beer tasting is easier without Maltese x poodle jumping up and down on your lap.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This Stout pours very dark brown, pouring results in a thick, creamy, long-lasting head, that leaves thick rings of lacing, a great looking beer

In the nose I find roasted malts, spice and raisins, a little on the clean side, still very inviting.

The taste yields a rich, sweet roasted malt presence, there are just enough citrusy hops dancing around the roof of my mouth to balance the sweetness out

as many said before me, this is an amazing beer

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Wow. When I saw this priced at $3 a bottle, I figured "Eh, it's cheap, it can't be THAT good". I never knew I could be that wrong before (I really should've learned from Young's Double Chocolate that cheaper beer can be good beer)

Pitch black, thick, similar in color to tar. Just like a stout should be! The only reason it missed a perfect 5/5 is because it could be a shade lighter and it wouldn't hurt anything. 4.5/5

I'm getting a nose full of... hmmm... prunes... and a hint of grape. Maybe a little bit of plum. Smell is incredibly inviting. 5/5

Smooth, delicious, dry. That plum comes back strong and segues into a dry oatmeal style flavor. It cuts off the sweetness at just the right time to keep it from ruining the flavor. 4.5/5

Thicker than average, but I would've liked it to be just a little tiny bit thicker. It needs to be almost chewy to make it perfect. 4/5

WOW. For the price, I can only say that this beer is one of the better choices on the market. I'll be enjoying this for years to come. 4.5/5

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass. Near black in color with maybe a one finger tan head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing as I drank it. Smell is a sweet cocoa and expresso. Taste is really sweet which i didn't care too much for. Reminds me Hershey syrup. I also get a bit of vanilla, expresso, and just a touch of nuttiness and fruit (cherries?) which I noticed when I had Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Mouth feel is quite smooth, but the carbonation and sugar leave my mouth feeling like I had a soda. Overall I can't say I'm big on it.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I grabbed this beer since it was an oatmeal stout and I was curious. I didn't realize it was the same maker of Nut Brown Ale and I wasn't disappointed since that beer is fantastic and drinking this, it proved the same.

Appearance - A very dark amber with a thick head and lacing.

Smell - Sweeter smell than a usual stout. Probably owing to the fact that oatmeal stouts are sweater. The bitterness comes as an after taste but it's a good bitter.

Taste - Tastes like a quality stout that's less bitter and a sweet.

Overall - A great stout for someone who is new to stouts like me. Not really bitter and more sweat but it still retains its stout characteristics.

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice deep black, not too much head here. Not getting much smell except for a bit of familiar Samuel Smith's funkiness (perhaps from the well water they use) which I recognize from their other beers. Taste is just excellent. Absolutely delicious. Nothing too overstated, no big explosion of flavors here, but a perfect balance of chocolaty, caramel-y, oatmeal-y, malty goodness with a bit of hop bitterness. Getting a little bit of licorice and currant. Creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Very tasty.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

The beer pours a dark ruby to black colour with a really nice looking inch of mocha, tan head.
At first the smell was a little vinous which got me worried, however the smell of roast barley soon made its way through the fog and into my head although not as pronounced as I was expecting.
Tastes of roasted barley with nice carmel tones. lots of coffee flavour, although the slight tartness i'm getting off this beer is making it taste like day old coffee.
The mouthfeel is absolutely great; lucious foamy velvet sliding down my throat. yum.
An easy beer to drink a few of although rather filling. I enjoyed the beer, but would like to have another bottle from a different batch. it tasted a little old to me. understandable vancouver is a ways away from Jolly Old.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

pours dark brown with tan 2 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly.

smells of smooth creamy chocolate coated christmas cake.

taste is very smooth and subtle, starts almost fruity with chocolate mocha setting in, followed by a silky roasted backbone and finish.

mouthfeel is a bit smooth yet a bit watery for an oatmeal stout, but not overly carbonated.

drinkability is definately high due to a modest alcohol percentage and delicious overall experience

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Rich, near black color with two finger tan head.

Coffee, nuts and almost a sweet apple scent follows through to the taste. Chocolate rings true in the finish. Very smooth mouthfeel with nice tight carbonation.

High drinkability and an overall enjoyable experience. Great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Served in UK pint glass at 60*F

Pours opaque with a rich, beige-colored head, with crimson hues around the edges when held against the light. Boasts good lacing and excellent retention.

Dominant butterscotch aroma, with hints of caramel and molasses.

Notes of dark-roasted coffee and cacao prominent; roasted malt very present, and very delicious, at first taste; a very pleasant bitterness slowly grows on the palate as the beer lingers. Dry, satisfying finish.

Bready, slightly chewy and deliciously smooth mouthfeel.

Given the relatively low alcohol content and my love for all things delicious, I find it to be very drinkable.

I recommend this to everyone. A favorite.

3.81/5  rDev -9.3%

Not a stout guy, but trying to expand my horizons beyond Guiness.

A: pours black with a thick tan head that lasts the whole time, leaves significant lacing.

S: to be honest I didn't pick up much if anything. Maybe some slight bready notes, but very little.

T: not nearly as dry and intimidating as it looks! Obviously heavy on the malt notes, the taste of dark toast with just a tiny bit of sweetness that finishes with just a slight dryness

M: this one is full bodied, like a meal in a glass, thick and creamy

D: pleasantly surprised by this one. Obviously Guiness gave me a one sided example of the style. Quite drinkable!

I still would not call myself a stout guy, but this definitely improves my opinion of the style. Much more drinkable than Guiness, I am not left w/ the cottonmouth, burn toast aftertaste that I get from it.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)