Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
4.21/5
Exceptional
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%

Look: Absolutely perfect pour and appearance. Beautiful foam. I shiver with anticip...

...pation

Smell: Malty goodness and essence of hops. A faint sweetness of molases.

Taste: Not as "oaty" as I would have expected. Very well balanced, with a finish of hop bitterness.

Texture: "average" for a quality beer. Neither remarkable, nor disconcerting.

Overall: A very fine beer. My first oatmeal stout. I find the flavor improves the closer it gets to room temperature. One of the few beers I prefer warm.

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Dark black body, only some light shines through the edges of the glass. Head is thin, mocha coloured. Leaves very little lacing and retention is alright.

S: Well blended aroma of milk chocolate and roasted malts.

T: Not as strong as the aroma, but full of milk chocolate, roasted malts and grainy hops.

M: Very thin, water like texture. There is medium-low carbonation. I was expecting this to be a thicker texture and feel due to the oats, but I don't notice it.

O: I was expecting much more out of this stout due to the great reviews. It's not bad, but just not as good as I was expecting. Would enjoy the texture to be thicker.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle.

While pouring it appears as a dark brown liquid and inside the glass it is black. One finger thick tan colored (almost turning brown) head that has good retention. Stays as thin head throughout. Opaque. Sticky lacing.

Aroma: Roasted malts, grain like malt sweetness. Creamy and some oatmeal flavor. Not much happening there.

Flavor: Roasted malts with a mix of oatmeal ground and earthiness. Easy texture. Almost no hop presence. Sweet dry finish. No apparent coffee. Feels like malted cream.

Mouth feel: Full bodied. Very smooth and silky. Moderately high carbonation. Easy drinking stout.

Style Rate: 4.25
Personal Rate: 3.5

Not to my liking. Do i feel excited after trying this style defining brew? No. Oatmeal stuff is not for me. Very smooth and easy. A good balance but at 5.5% i am thinking i paid a lot.

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%

POured from a bottle into a glass.

Aroma- Light Coffee and smokiness. faint cocoa and a slight yeasty sourness.

Appearance- Nearly opaque, a slight ruby tint is revealed when help up to the light. a thin tan head that lingers but provides little if any lacing.

Flavor- Cocoa and oats with a slight smokiness that gives way to a sweet almost coffee finish. As it warms you can perceive an earthy-ness as well (a'la unwashed potato'.

Mouthfeel- There is an ever present slickness/viscosity from the oats (I would assume). It has a slight astringency, which I hear could come from the fermentation process in the open vats. both of these characteristics add to the beer as opposed to detract from it. It is slightly over carbed for a stout, but I should have let it rest a little more.

Overall- I think this is a great example of an oatmeal stout, I could only imagine what one would taste like fresh from the brewery. I think this gets better as you drink it.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 4.21 out of 5 with 6,701 ratings