Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Ratings: 6,654 |  Reviews: 2,291
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a Newcastle glass.

Pours very dark with a fluffy creamy head that didn't stick around long. Picking up some dark chocolate, cocoa and almost coffee aromas. The taste is similar to the smell with a slight cocoa or espresso hint in it. The flavors are subdued, very subtle and its fun to try and pick them out. I get a little coffee type bitterness after a few drinks but not much hop bitterness at all. It's very smooth probably from the use of flaked oatmeal and lactate.

Very nice!

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Damn! Closed my tab and lost my review. I'm going to do the writing best as I can.

A: Dark brown, no light coming through with a tan head and excellent lacing.

S: Mostly a mixture of molasses, dark chocolate and coffee. There is some malt grain in there as well.

T: This is where the beer falls off in my opinion. Certainly not a popular opinion, but I think this beer just crosses the cloying threshold. The flavors are more like a molasses, sweet chocolate milkshake rather than the roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, rich malt that I'm more of a fan of. That's not saying there's not a place for this beer on my table but it's just not my favorite.

M: Love the mouthfeel... rich and creamy with a delicate lightness. The mouth totally embodies the flavor profile which I love.

O: Not a bad beer by any means, just not the oatmeal stout I would reach for. I would however, like this for dessert. It is very, very drinkable though. Finished the beer in no time.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)