Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Liked This Beer
4.21 w/ 6,659 ratings
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom

4.21/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 6,659 |  Reviews: 2,292

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A- I poured it into a flared pint glass, down the middle. The beer provided more than ample head, making me understand the recent row over top-ups at Samuel Smith's pubs in Britain. The foam is light and airy, the color of a cafe au lait and leaves thick lacing as it slowly falls. The beer itself is pitch black and allows no light to shine through.

S- A very nice smell. Roasted chocolate malts, a hint of anise, a touch and alcohol and just a whiff of bittering hops.

T- I love its flavor. First you get hit with a wave of delicious malt, with the chocolate taste the scent portended. The anise is gone but the bitterness and the alcohol appear in the finish in the perfect quantities.

M- Rich, and creamy. Medium to heavy-bodied with little after-feel. Very smooth.

O- A very nice beer, and not a bit overrated.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Deep soul-eating black color. No light may penetrate. About two fingers of rich deep brown head, nice sticky lacing.

S: Dark coffee, chocolate, roasted malts.

T: Burnt toast and chocolate. Burnt figs. Not as bitter as similar deep dark stouts. Really mellow and delicious.

M: Extremely well balanced carbonation. Thick and creamy. Tingly, warm, with a surprisingly mellow after-burn.

O: One of the better stouts I've had the opportunity to try. Overall, it's superbly balanced and delicious, not too bitter; just light enough to leave me pleasantly surprised.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Why has it taken me so long to give this a whirl? Well, it's another oatmeal stout... a type of beer that I've never been able to enjoy. So naturally, whenever I see an oatmeal stout (even one as highly praised as this), I have a sort of color-me-skeptical moment. After months of avoiding it, I've decided to give it a whirl:

A great, dark-brown body falls into the glass. Slight red hue breaks through where there's a light behind it. Frothy, half-inch head bubbles to life as I pour, a great tan color. I'm pretty sure I can already smell the oatmeal - a good sign! Leaves a great, caked layer of lace.

Leaning in closer, the aroma is fantastic. A sweet-smelling combination of dark chocolate, roasted malts, a hint of a sort of milky character. The aforementioned oatmeal is also fairly bold. Very lively and potent. I like it!

A milky body slips a really good flavor on to the tongue. Bittersweet in character, the oatmeal shines the whole way through. Along the way, various characters join in on the fun: roasted malts, a light touch of raisins. Finishes on the familiar oat taste and a surprising dash of alcohol. Just well-executed.

All in all, I can finally say, "At last, an oatmeal stout!" This is exactly what the style should be, and I couldn't have been happier to taste it. Give it a whirl!

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 1pt. 2.7 Oz bottle into a 16oz. tulip.

A- black with a thick tan head.

S- yeast, roasty toasty malt, chocolate, dried fruits.

T- coffee, chocolate, dried fruits, yeast, toffee, bread. I had oatmeal w/ raisins for breakfast and this beer has the same minerally and bready flavor complex.

M- creamy mouthfeel with light carbonation. Alcohol is present.

O- This beer is my first oatmeal stout and I liked it a lot. It has a nice complex flavor and has potential to be my next go to sipper. It is also cool to have a good stout that's an import.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a deep brown color, barely any color when I hold it up to light. Head is light tan. Stands about 1/2inch tall after the pour and settles to a thick film. As I drink there are nice rings of lacing left in my glass. Smell is of raisins, roasted malts, maybe a little vanilla. Taste is sweeter than expected. At first the raisin stood out, but as the beer warms I get more of the roasted flavor. Body is med-thick with gentle carbonation. I haven't had many oatmeal stouts, but I rather enjoy this one. I understand why it scores so well. Also, I appreciate a beer with a reasonable ABV like this one.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 90.2% out of 100 with 6,659 ratings