Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,264 | Ratings: 6,557
4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Served from a 550ml bottle into two glasses. Split the bottle with my wife.

A: Pours black. When held up to light, subtle amber at the top of the pour. Thick, creamy, inviting head that subsides fairly quickly, but laces well.

S: Oatmeal smell is strong up front. Malty-ness is very apparent. Smells a bit like my mom's no bake cookies (oatmeal and cocoa).

T: Tastes sweeter than anticipated based on the smell. Pleasant surprise. Tastes fruit without tasting fruity. Cocoa and oatmeal are subtle. After-taste is divine. Flavor lingers like a good piece of chocolate. The finish of this beer bumped the taste to a 5. The aftertaste is the best part of this beer.

M: More carbonated than anticipated. Another pleasant surprise. Dances in your mouth, and stings a bit going down. The sting is mellowed by the malts. Not the mouthful many stouts are.

O: As a whole, an absolutely outstanding oatmeal stout. Unlike any other than I've ever had. Would have liked a little more head and a little more fullness out of the beer, but the flavor and the aftertaste can't be beat. Will be purchasing again.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into the Samuel Smith Pint glass, and welcomed by a thick creamy head of dark tan froth.

Poured a reddish brown that laced well

Smell was all coffee and cooking oatmeal

Taste was perfect! As a Brit friend would say, Spot On! Coffee, Malted grain, slightly bitter and sweet at the same time very balanced towards the bitter though.

Was medium to medium thick in the mouth, creamy, semi-dry, great.

Buy it every chance you get, drink it at 58-62 degrees F, wow! Can't go wrong with this one.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer came in a clear bottle (surprised me) and poured into the glass a dark brown/black but when held to the light there were ruby highlights. The head was beige in color, creamy and thick. The lace held up nicely and stretched to the bottom of the glass. The aroma was of molasses, chocolate, dark malt, and slight vanilla. The tastes were sweet and creamy not thick. Flavors of roasted malt, coffee, bitter hops and chocolate in the end and some what dry . Simple and yet complex all at the same time. This is a very smooth beer. I am surprised that I had not tried this earlier in my life. I really REALLY enjoyed this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Pours black a with big head. no head retention. no lacing.

S-Smells like chocolate and caramel. Slight biscuity peeking through.

T-Matly and chocolaty goodness. I don't detect any hops. Aftertaste is sweet.

M-Very smooth with a slight creamyness.

D-Highly drinkable. This is one of the best oatmeal stouts I've had. Balanced very well and I will definitely be getting more.

4.91/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a black color with a fluffy off-white head. Decent retention and nice lacing.

The aroma brings subtle milk chocolate and roasted coffee, followed by plenty of grainy, roasted oats.

The taste brings quite a bit of fig and dark fruit. Then comes the sweet chocolate. The oats are subtle but definitely present.

The feel is medium bodied with good carbonation. Creamy, velvety and smooth. Just the way a stout should be.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers. It's rich, complex, and tasty. Not to mention extremely affordable. Just an amazing beer all around.

4.91/5  rDev +16.9%

I have had Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout perhaps more than any other beer period. I have always been a fan of dark chocolate and coffee, and this beer provides delicious notes of both. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and it leaves your tongue wanting more. This is the beer that I would be happy with any time of the year paired with anything.

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

This is an incredible stout and one of my aboslute favourites.

This is deep, practically black, red-brown, with a thick tan head that lasts and leaves moderate lacing.

The aroma is rich caramel, dark fudge and a lot of fruit.

The taste is similar, rich, and full-bodied, sweet with a wonderfully balancing bitterness. It has qualities of fudge and raisins. The palate is creamy, thick, and silky.

4.89/5  rDev +16.4%

550ml bottle with no apparent freshness date poured into a goblet. Pours a midnight black with a nice creamy khaki head of 3 fingers that coats the glass with a lacy film as it dissipates.

Nose is absolutely divine. Oats, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, coffee ice cream. Perfect oatmeal stout smell.

Taste upfront is sweet and roasted malts that delivers a bitter and milk chocolate tour-de-force. Milky, earthy, richness transitions to a bitter finish. Magnificent balance. Iced coffee, oatmeal, caramel...and the list goes on.

Mouthfeel is substantial, rich, smooth, and decadent.

Oatmeal stout lovers, the search is over.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Purchased at Ayotte's in Hudson, NH.

Back in the day (early 90's in this case) this was the craft beer. We could get Guinness, Harpoon and the like in the Boston area, but this beer was also readily available, and somehow much more exoctic because it was an unknown. Guinness, even pre-markenting push, was a major player, and there was some status in drinking it ("I won't drink anything I can see through"). I always saw this beer on the shelves, usually dusty, but I think only tried it once. Now seemed like a good time to revisit this beer, that somehow seems to be taken for granted.

The pour is a wonderfully deep, dark black with a thick and creamy head that leaves a coating of lace rarely seen these days.

Malty, bready/oatmeal, some fudge and lightly of figs. Tastes very much the same.

Very smooth mouthfeel with a lingering finish.

This is the quintessential session beer. At 5% you're not going to find many other session brews so tasty and easy to drink

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

As near as perfection as I have had. Pours a midnight black, with a nice fluffy beige head. The smell is sweet and strong, but not overbearing. I loved the sweet first taste and the wonderful easy smoothness of this beer. Nice thick, almost chewy feel to it. The roasted chocolate and slight bitterness toward the end, was just right. I tried this based on the beer advocates rating, and it was better than I thought it would be. Of all the beers I have had, this is the most memorable. Of the Stouts I have had I would rank them: 1. Sam Smith Oatmeal 2.Young's Double Chocolate 3. Young's Oatmeal. 4. Old Rasputin Imperial

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

I am a diehard stout drinker, but rarely find a stout that isn't slightly bitter. After a friend told me about Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, I bought a 16 oz bottle. When I cracked it, I couldnt believe the impressive dark colour and the unreal, almost sweet smell. It poured pretty nicely with a nice head.
To say that this beer is smooth is an understatement. It left no bitter aftertaste and was just completely exceptional.
I am now a Sam Smith convert, and suggest you all try it for yourselves..
Happy Drinking!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This being my first review, I must admit that I am still developing my palate, but can definitely recognize a great beer when I drink one. The appearance was dark and tasty looking with a nice head, the smell was of dark malt, chocolate, the taste was amazing with subtle oatmeal, chocolate, roasted malt, and a nice hop balance. The mouthfeel was very impressive for a bottle, smooth, body, and not over powering. Drinkability...1 to 2 everyday for the rest of my life and I would be a happy man. Great beer!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

1pint 2.7floz bottle. Pours very dark brown to black and a very thick, large, creamy tan head that took a while to drop. Nose is nutty, chocolate, very coffee semlling, a good smell. Taste is very rich, chocolate malt, coffee, nice and stout. This is my first Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and I have to say it is the best Oatmeal Stout I have had. Sweet and hoppy finish. A delicious brew. I'm going to have to buy more of these!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A- It pours a dark brown body. The head is about 2 fingers with a light brownish color.Very good carbonation.

S- It has a nice aroma, it has a strong oatmeal smell with hints of chocolate.

T- The taste is amazing, not too strong no too light, the perfect balance.

M- Great mouthfeel, it has a small taste of oatmeal followed by a coffe flavour and finally a lemony aftertaste

This is a good beer to try, it has the perfect combination of ingredients. A must try!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Dark rich color. Nice head & lace. Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, caramel, toffee, molasses, and oatmeal perfectly balanced. Smooth, creamy, oily, and silky. Perfect balance between the bitterness and the sweetness. Outstanding aftertaste. A must try. Cheers!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A - Deep black pours into the glass. A thick cream-colored head that lasts tops it. Finally settles down to a substantial crown.

S - Caramel, malts, chocolate, and oatmeal are the main aromas that push through. Seems like there is a little of the slate from the Yorkshire Squares that it's fermented in.

T - Starts with a dark caramel from the malts. Then the oatmeal begins to show through. Ends with a delicious match of chocolate and cream, but only lightly sweet.

M - Smooth, slides down real easy while still having the right body for a stout. Light carbonation that doesn't detract from the rest of it.

O - This is my go to stout, it is the perfect blend of deep flavors, aromas, and silky body. It is a truly satisfying and filling brew, especially since you can probably find this in your local store. If you enjoy this style and you haven't tried this, you are doing yourself a great injustice.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

One of the all time classic stouts and still the standard bearer for oatmeal stouts, if you ask me. I do agree that Rogue's Shakespeare could be the best U.S. made equivalent, but Samuel Smith's nearly perfect stout still wins for me. Usually, it is priced at an accessible rate where I live.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

believe the hype. This is an awesome oatmeal stout. Sweet, rich, not too thick, which lends to drinkability. Pours dark coffee to black. Sweet like chocolate up front with slightly bitter aftertaste Complex taste and good both cold and slightly warmer. Not too high on the alcohol content, which prevents it from losing taste. A classic.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

THIS is what it's all about! Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout! Do you think they'll hire me to write slogans for them? I didn't think so either. Seriously this is the best beer I have ever had in my life. (I'm only 21 but still)! Simply amazing. I could rave about this stuff for days. I've never really been one to study the smell, appearance, and mouthfeel of beers like some of the aficionados on this site, but I just can't help it with this one. From the wonderful smoky aroma from when you first pop the cap, to the beautiful tan head that never goes away, to the slow caramel-like finish, this brew is a winner all the way. It is quite expensive, but IMO is worth it. Everybody should try this beer. There is no excuse not to. Go right now to your local beer store and get some of this. And when you get to the checkout counter, tell 'em Hoss McGraw sent ya!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

I am brewing a clone of this beer and am in the middle of bottling it. I decided to go out and buy the real thing to celebrate.

A: No freshness indication on the package. Pours thick and black with a short mocha colored head. A thin film of foam sits on top of the incredibly dark surface of the beer.

S: Not bursting with aroma like I hoped it would be, but is amazing none the less. Nutty with hints of coffee and oats.

T: Absolutely filled with flavor. Nuts, oats, bread, coffee, caramel, and toffee. All of these flavors come at you in several short waves as soon as this brew hits your toungue.

M: How could I possibly describe the way this oatmeal stout dances on your tongue in words alone. The mouthfeel on this beer is by far the most amazing thing I have every experienced. Is there anyway I can give it a 6?

D: If I was a millionaire, my fridge would always be filled with Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout. It is great as a session beer, or for just sitting back and enjoying its many complexities. This beer defines the style of oatmeal stout and deserves all of the respect it is given.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

this is sweet and filling, this is like everything that i love in a hot fresh loaf of oatmeal breed brewed into a beer of extrodnary flavor and complexity. this is like a meal in a glass. this is as close to a purfict 5.o as you can get. this is top ten of all time and the greatist oatmeal stout i have ever had!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

In short, this is an exceptional beer that is not all too difficult to find in a store nearby. If you have never tried this beer before, then I urge you go ahead and do so, even if a stout is not your preferred style.

More in depth, I consider this to be a well balanced beer in terms of smell, taste, and texture. In terms of smell, this beer shows hints of oatmeal, which is not a big surprise, and caramel, perhaps some brown sugar or molasses?

This sweet smelling aroma is a great indication of the upcoming taste. Overall, this beer has a balanced palate that is neither overtly sweet nor bitter. This sweetness makes it great to enjoy on its own, or paired with a full-flavored meal. While the taste does tilt slightly towards the sweeter side, it is not by much.

As far as I am concerned, the texture itself is probably the best part of this beer. As with many oatmeal stouts, the texture is both rich and creamy. It really does fill your mouth. Interestingly enough, this beer retains its head all the way through.

While I mentioned that the smell, taste, and texture of this beer were well-balanced, I should probably comment on the color itself too. As is expected, In its simplest form, this is a very dark beer. Other than that, however, I cannot say much else.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Beer is extremely dark, almost black. When held to light shades of crimson shine through, while the head is a thick coffee color. Smell is extremely complex, with the expected oatmeal, yeast, and even a coffelike aroma shining through. Taste is the same, strong and bitter, in a good way. Mouthfeel is amazing, goes down extremely smooth for such a heavy beer. Drinkability is likewise surprisingly high. I would certainly recommend this one, and look forward to trying it again.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

This particular beer was recommended to me at another forum, and I do not regret picking one up whatsoever.
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass, listening to Jesu- "Why Are We Not Perfect?". I am wondering why this beer isn't perfect, because it comes damn-close. Here was my humble thoughts:
Upon pouring, a very creamy, frothy, tan head a few inches in length arose to meet the top of the glass. This was very pleasing, considering that I presume this brew has very low carbonation. It sat in my glass BLACK. There was some slight deep red tendencies bouncing off my glass when I held it up to the light, but this beer is quite opaque. After a good 10 minutes, the head got down to about 1 cm, and stayed that way until it met the bottom of my glass. I was kinda disappointed in the lacing though, as there wasn't much of any at all.
Poking my nose in the glass gave me a very rich smell of a sweet loaf of bread. The sweetness was composed from nut to molasses, and vanilla to honey ranges. Pleasantly subtle, I might add as well.
The taste was pretty much the same as the smell, but now working in hand with the signature stout "roasted" flavor. It's not quite "burnt" hops either, which would usually come across too harsh in other more common stouts. Rather, it's present more as a coffee flavor... one that comes alive a little bit during the finish. I found slight hints of savory caramel throughout each sip as well. Not much in the way of an after-taste. Pretty damn-well balanced this beer is though, even if there is nothing extravagant going on.
It's medium-bodied once it was in the mouth, and it was smooth as silk. Seriously, this is the quickest beer I have consumed so far for a review, and I could easily move through some of this like water on a hot summer day. That is quite remarkable, considering it's other stout qualities (I may have found my new favorite beer!). My only discrepancy, I suppose, was that I wish they could make this beer how it is, but with a stickier mouth-feel. No, it certainly is not a Miller Lite, but it came across as a bit thin for a beer of this caliber.
Skip the pretzels, go straight for snackin' on some oatmeal chocolate cookies when enjoying one of these!

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Now this is damn good beer. Poured from a 550ml bottle at around cellar temp this beer comes out nice and dark (almost pure black in color). As I put the glass to my nose I can tell I going to enjoy this one. I get the scent of chocolate, coffee, and maybe some oats. The taste is outstanding and reconfirms what my nose has told me. All the flavors are there including some maltiness and hops. If anyone whats to get me something for my birthday I'd be more than happy with this stuff. A great stout in my opinion.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)