Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,259 | Ratings: 6,521
4.86/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Toasty and smokey boquet. Slightly bitter on the sides of the tongue. Love the warmth this beer creates. Kind of a muddy brown coloring to it. When poured into a tulip glass, the head was thin, and when sipped down there was little remnants of it on the glass. Left a bit of a coating on the tongue, which I don't enjoy, but no bitter aftertaste, which I did.

3.69/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Has that black color going for it with substantial dark brown up in there, tan head, 1/3". Aroma has mostly roast, but a smoothness tempered with oats and mild sweetness from just ripe dark fruit notes.

Taste is so good, smooth, roasted malt but not bitter or acrid, the oats in there do their magic, low abv helps the mouthfeel come of silkier. Not overly thick, one of the thinner stouts. Underpinnings of toffee. Earthy creaminess to it.

While oats are an 'adjunct' this is a nice trip down memory lane before all the highly rated stouts were enveloped with vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, maple etc. . .

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Dark brown, almost black with off beige head that didn't last very long
Smell: Roasted nuts and chocolate/cacao nibs, a bit on the sweet side
Taste: Definite roasted malt taste, dark fruits like plum, light bitterness in the aftertaste, no notable hop presence
Feel: Everything about oatmeal stouts I read talked about their mouthfeel It took a few larger sips to see what everyone was talking about. Super creamy and velvety, very fluffy. That said, it is on the thin side.
Overall Impression: Thinner than I expected, but smooth and tasty none-the-less

4.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A trademark. Very drinkable. Very balanced. No flavour or aroma goes beyond the oher. The mouthfeel is smooth and gentle, it takes all your mouth and tinkles your tongue. The oatmeal is there but mostly for the texture. No hop presence in the smell or the taste. It has a chocolate bittersweet taste but remains quite dry. The coffee is there but light and meet subtle nuts. A rich but not overwhelming beer. A perfect session beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sweet, chocolate, strawberry, general berry, tarter raspberry, semi-sweet chocolate. Caramel center. Gooey and smooth delivery. Walnut brown body. Very clear with mahogany highlights.

4.96/5  rDev +18.1%

By far my favorite beer, creamy with the chocolate hints that hit you right off. A little thin for a stout but the taste and aroma more than make up for that.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Smells like sweet dark fruit. Taste is a little sweeter, balanced, and less harsh than the American stouts/porters I've been drinking a lot of lately. The taste reminds me of chocolate, with some faint dark roasted coffee and caramel-esque notes. There is also something else in the background that tastes a little metallic or minerally to me perhaps? Just a little bit of bitterness. I only really detect oatmeal character when I slurp up the head. As with other British beers, this seems to get even better to me as it warms up a bit. Me and this beer go way back, one of the first stouts I tried that I actually liked.

I found this little gem when I was in collage. This was my first push past guiness. I just love this beer. The smoother stout that led me to other Samuel Smith beers.
beautiful dark color, creamy and hearty.

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A mix of really dark cola brown mixed with a hint of black cherry. A creamy tan head is moderate with medium sized bubbles and a moderate-fast attenuation leaving little to no lacing.

Aromatics: Sweet and fruity with a light scent of the oat, and subtle toasty caramel notes.

Taste: The aroma before the sip really helps accentuate the oat flavour profile, this is followed by a strong coffee/dark chocolate bitter. The finish is a relatively mild bitter, slightly dry and doesn't linger too long.

Feel: The carbonation reminds me of a slightly subdued soda, and the liquid itself is smooth and creamy - almost like lightly carbonated chocolate milk.

Overall: Stouts are probably my favorite style, and this being my first oatmeal stout it was a nice change from the coffee stouts and I usually pick up. I liked its stout creaminess and the sweet oaty nose, not sure about the finish - a little too abrupt for me, I like a mouthfeel that carries on a bit. But overall, I will probably add this one as a regular purchase for my stout shelf, Samuel Smith never seems to disappoint me.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really love oatmeal stouts and even among a category I really love this beer is definitely one of the better examples I have ever tried. I can’t recall too many stouts or porters in general that I’ve liked more. It is a dark brown almost black with a nice, tan head. It is exceedingly creamy with a bold oatmeal flavor that really takes over immediately. Molasses and a very slight chocolate flavor are also present. This is sweeter than most oatmeal stouts I’ve tried, but not as sweet as many of the chocolate stouts. It has a very nice balance. Like most good stouts it is a meal in a glass. There is nothing revolutionary here, but just what you would expect from an expertly made oatmeal stout. There is definitely a reason this beer is so well rated.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Look: Dark brown, nearly black. Slight mahogany tint when held against light. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Medium sized head, creamy and tan colored. Dissipates quickly with minimal lacing.

Smell: Sweet malts, syrup, oats, light chocolates and faint fruit (cherries)

Taste: Sweet and smooth up front. Followed by dark chocolate and coffee. Finish is mildly bitter with a slight alcohol bite.

Feel: Slightly milky and creamy. Medium carbonation, although pretty high for a stout in my opinion.

Overall: Nice and balanced beer. A little too light & too carbonated for a stout.
This was a really good beer and would buy again, though I was slightly disappointed based on the high rating.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

APPEARANCE: Dark brown. Good carbonation when rocking the glass. About a finger of tan creamy head that slowly settles down to a thick layer on top. Leaves some very nice lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Swirl the glass and I get a bit of rum raisin, chocolate, lots of malt character and that familiar British hop dirt smell.
TASTE: Nice bit of chocolate, I think the hops give it a nice tangy quality....again, dirt is what comes to mind in a good way. Nice mildly roasted malt flavor.
FEEL: Mild carbonation, medium thinnish body, slightly creamy but drying on finish.
OVERALL: Very pleasant stout, low abv, so, sessionable.

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

It seems that I didn't know what Oatmeal Stouts were supposed to taste like until I tried this one.

The perfect Stout to me regardless of origin, and I usually prefer Irish.
The only problem I have with this style of beer is their tendency to have a lot of complexities and richness that doesn't allow for truly easy drinking, but that relationship is give and take.

World class

Best of the best

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep dark brown, almost jet black. Fingernail length tan head which disappeared pretty quickly. Very rich aroma of malt and chocolate. Flavor is similar, though much more intense. It's a bold mix of dark malt, cocoa, and coffee. Faint brown sugar finish. Very rich in taste. Mouthfeel was silky smooth, almost oily. Oatmeal did the trick with this one. Lightly carbonated. Very satisfying stout.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great beer, a long time favorite. Beautiful shade of brown with some amber and red peeping thru at you, the very definition of autumnal. Tastes dirty, feels dirty.

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The coloring of this beer is very dark . It seemed to pour thick and had a brown head that was lasting. The aroma was very rich and malty, possibly slight grains smell too. The flavor was bold and sweet, could definitely taste the hints of oats and raisin here.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. Pours thick, good tan head that lasts. Smells sweet. Excellent flavor, sweet though not syrupy, slight bitter finish. Good mouthfeel. I like this better than their Organic Chocolate Stout, which I thought should have had more chocolate flavor.

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is definitely one of the richest tasting beers I've had, which is surprising considering its near-sessionable ABV. The palate is bold and intense with malt and roastiness, though neither really overpowers the other (it is very well balanced!) and the mouthfeel is as full as it's flavor profile. Definitely the standard to which all other oatmeal stouts should aspire.

1.84/5  rDev -56.2%

i thought i would really like this beer but I just cant do it
very hoppy with oats and barley notes
I love oatmeal but drinking it wasn't a good taste

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a solid, dark brown, almost black. Aromas of tobacco leaf, dark chocolate, dark malts, with hints of sticky raisin. Tastes lighter than expected, but quite flavourful; sweet, dark malts, sticky raisin, fig, more like a dark ale than a stout.

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice dark beer with a tan head that leaves gobs of lacing. There smell is roasted malt, chocolate, and sweetness. The taste is chocolate and finely roasted malts. The beer is nice and creamy while the body feels a bit lighter than medium. Fantastic beer.

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Pours much darker than I was expecting. Black in color with a light beige head, lots of carbonation on the head.

S- Lots of roasted malts, coffee.

T- Pretty sweet, but extremely smooth. Follows the nose with lots of roasted malts and coffee flavors, with some light chocolate flavors as well.

F- Very watery body, but smooth. Little to medium carbonation.

O- If you want a light stout for a great price that's easy to drink, this is certainly an excellent option. That said, I was a bit let down by this beer, considering how much others I know like it. I think it may just be that I've become spoiled by high ABV imperial stouts though, because this is one of the best 5% and under beers that I've had.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

I am a beer vendor and the receiving woman at one of my old stores and her husband adore this beer. She asked me if I could bring it into her store but we were out of stock at our warehouse. So I found a 4pk at another account and brought it to her, she was over the moon about this beer. Normally I would not drink many stouts. I ended up finding another 4pk and had to buy it to try it and give her and her husband each a beer out of the pack. I've never open a beer in my car but I had to see what the fuss was all about so the second I got out of the store I popped one open. In the bottle it seemed a little to carbonated but it tasted really really... Normal not like a coffee or chocolate stout, this shocked me. So I get home and pour it into a pint glass and was absolutely shocked at how dark the beer was because having first tried it in the bottle it didn't taste burnt or really stout like other very dark beers. After pouring it into the pint glass the over carbonation went away and the beautiful tan head laced the glass ever so slightly. It is a wonderful dark beer that will surprise you. This is my first ever beer review. In conclusion this is a dark oatmeal stout that has a balance between flavors that is unprecedented

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: This stout pours surprisingly dark which makes it seem like a really thick beer. It does have a fairly thick and foamy tan/cream colored head which makes the beer more appealing.

Smell: This beer has very distinct nutty aromas. The nutty aroma is intimidating at first but does become more appetizing after you start to smell the coffee and chocolate notes. Overall, this stout has some distinct roasty, malty notes throughout.

Taste: Although sweeter than expected, it does have some bitter chocolate notes. The taste is fairly nutty with some hints of toffee and oats. I would describe this beer to be very roasty with burnt malts, chocolate, and some less distinct notes of licorice. In comparison to other dark beers like Guinness, it is sweeter and has a more "chocolate nutty" taste.

Mouthfeel: Has a very smooth, silky feel when you drink it and is a fairly easy-to-drink beer. It does not seem to have as much carbonation in comparison to most other beers (in my opinion), so in that sense it adds to the silkiness of the beer. Contrary to its appearance, the beer feels fairly thin.

Overall, it is a decent beer that I would recommend to others. I appreciate that an oatmeal stout stays true to its name and does in fact taste oaty and nutty. However, it is a hard beer to get used to because of its sheer complexity. It does however have a perfect balance of sweet and bitter and isn't too overwhelming for first time oatmeal stout drinkers.

3.34/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A musty and oat like scent that poured nicely with a light yellow head. At first taste, you can really taste the oats and coffee like flavor. The after taste was not as pleasing, it was very musty and almost card-board like. I was not as impressed with this stout as I wanted to be, I was looking for their to be more of a maple, oats (aka "oatmeal") taste to it!

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)