Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,259 | Ratings: 6,521
3.74/5  rDev -11%

Why oh why the clear bottle...
The flavor of this one reminds me a bit of Yoohoo... though I can't remember the last time I had that chocolatey drink.
Sweet malts; not too hoppy at all and rather bubbly for a stout. Coats the tongue in a bit of a chalky kind of way.
I haven't had too many oatmeal stouts that I can think of, but this is pretty good as far as stouts on the whole go. I wasn't quite wowed by this but I'd give it another go next to others of the style.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

More goodness from Sam. Deep, deep dark color. Smells sour, almost a red wine vinegar scent- odd, but intriguing. Tastes of coffee, toffee, and malt. Roastedness, and a sour/tart/tangyness that I really enjoy. Oats also add to the character of this brew. Mouthfeel is bubbly and chewy. The sourness becomes a bit hard to stomach after a while, almost starts to remind me of cough syrup- but overall not a bad experience.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Presentation: bottle, 12 fl.oz, clear, custom, "Samuel Smith" pressed twice around neck, "bottled at yorkshire`s oldest brewery est. 1758" pressed around bottom, gold foiled neck, blue and red on yellow label, no fresness date.

Appearance: "very" black, no light can get thru, large head of long lasting tan-colored foam.

Smell: molasses, some nuts.

Taste: medium to full body, thick smooth mouthfeel. Molasses, coffee, caramel, chocolate, some yeast, OATS (big way), hint of citrus

Notes: Sole US distributor - Merchant du Vin

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

The color is a deep dark brown/black with a slight head. Not much in a distinct aroma. The taste has a little acidity to it. A good session brew with the low ABV. This is the first ale that got me started on the stout kick. I can remember being in college and having this for the first time in between classes in business college. Their are stout styles out their that offer more in terms of favor IMO.

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This oatmeal stout is black and has a huge head that is tan in color. The head makes you wait a few minutes before you can enjoy your first sip.

Its aroma is malty, roasty and is a little burnt. There are also hints of chocolate and oats.

The flavor is a bit sweeter than I like my beers, but not overpowering. This beer is definitely dominated by malt. Oatmeal and roasted flavor are the main characters here. A little bit of coffee and chocolate are also in the mix as well. There is also a slight hop presence in the finish, though it is faint.

The mouth feel is a little oily and leaves a slight film in the mouth. Its carbonation levels are quite low.

Over all, this is an easy going beer and is worth checking out.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a transluscent black with ruby highlights and thin tan head. Aroma consists mostly of sweet malt scents: caramel, oatmeal, toasted grain, molasses and toffe, as well as a light floral hops scent. Taste begins with a slightly bitter hop profile of mineraly, floral and earthy flavors followed by a complex malt character that is slightly sweet with hints of caramel, molasess, burnt toast, toffee, chocolate, and of course oatmeal. Mouthfeel is very smooth with moderate carbonation, and the drinkability is good as well. A great oatmeal stout, readily available and very tasty this is really deserving of its reputation.

4.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear, gold foiled and undated 12 oz poured into a pint.

Deepest brown bordering on black with a large tan head that is rocky and leaves lots of webbed lace.

Smells very malty both roasted and swet, nutty oatmeal, mollases and a whiff of creamy alcohol.

Roasted, earthy malt upfront. Some oatmeal and raisen cookie in the middle that fades into a nice dry finish that has that classic english hop finish. Very tasty.

The mouthfeel is just a wee bit light for a stout, but the drinkability shines.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

I have three oatmeal stouts in my fridge: this, Sand Creek's Oscar's, and Gray's. Two Wisconsin welterweights, local boys done good, against the big, bad Brit.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a beautiful beer, and oily, inky black with a tannish head and good lacing. Smells of brown sugar and vanilla, mixed with a nice smoked/roasted scent. Tastes like sweet, smoky vanilla; faux-alcoholic. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but otherwise, this is an excellent beer. Sam, you done better with your stout than you did with your brown, son.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Pours from the 550 ml bottle into my pint glass black. My first Sam Smith's and I have just learned something, the bottle is clear. I never really looked at this beer that close, I had assumed the bottle was tinted, but it was the actual color of the beer! The solid, black, liquid pours out and forms a nice thick tan head, at least 1-inch, that slowly dissipates to a nice covering over the liquid. Thick clinging lace covers the sides of the glass as I consume this wonderful liquid. The beer did look good in the glass, I should have taken a picture.

Smell: Malty (roasted malt), a little grainy, aroma of coffee, a little chocolatey, and some raisin. Scent is very good, and I can still smell it in the glass even after I have finished the beer.

Taste: Marvelous, not too sweet, just nicely balanced with subtle flavors of coffee, chocolate (slightly burnt), and grains. There seems to be a slight bitterness on the finish, which I think helps to keep the beer in balance.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, full bodied, but not syripy (sp?). Actually there seemed to be a slight dryness at the finish.

Drinkability: Low alcohol content makes this an easy drinking beer, even in the summer heat, although I don't think one would want to make a session out of it. Still, very approachable, it's one of those beers where BMC drinker will be intimidated by its "motor oil" appearance and leave it alone. Although he will still insist that he's a real man and don't drink that weird beer, as he pounds his Bud Light. Oh well, more of the good stuff for the BA's.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

found in a local Bevmo in 22 oz (?) and 12 oz bottles (4 pack).

the bottle seemed to be dark brown colored like many others, with the golden foil concealing clear top. after pouring the oatmeal stout, I was surprised to see an all clear piece of item in my hand.

a strong aromatic brought out a good mixture of coffee, cream and oatmeal. it reminded me of an Irish Bailey.

pouring it into a chilled mug straight (out of the freezer) created an immense amount of foam. I had to pause to let the head settle before squeezing the last drop out. the head did not stay long as it fizzled quickly into the atmosphere. the body was so dark you can't see through it, as expected from a stout, but with hints of browness.

some malty sweetness in the flavor, very creamy and did not bite. good creamy oatmeal appeal on the tastebuds with a little bit of carbonation and some aftertaste. drinkability was ok as it took me a lilttle while to finish this beer.

this beer may be much much better on tap, which could be said the same for many other beers, therefore I can't help but add that the oatmeal stout came a long way from England to the land where oatmeal stouts do not rule enough for people clear the shelves in time for fresher batches. however I do recommend this for special occasions, all the while served cold, and I mean COLD. serving it warm can make the stout way too unappealingly sweet.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz. bottle, served slightly chilled in a goblet. Pours black with ruby tinges and it's topped with a 1/2 inch tan head that doesn't leave much lace, but I was swirling the beer a bunch also. Smells like apples, banana pudding, chocolate, coffee, raisins, yeast, and lots of sweetness. The taste is the same but with a hint of alcohol and some piney/citric hops whose bitterness appears more as the beer warms. The body is full and smooth with medium carbonation and the beer itself is a top-notch brew.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml bottle I have been meaning to try this one out but never got around to it because Highland Brewing Oatmeal Porter.
I haven't had an Oatmeal Porter in a while so this will probally be a good one after checking out the score.

Pours a very deep brown colour. Head is quite tan and full – lasts quite a while.Defintely has a head to it.

Aroma – chocolate, coffee, slight hint of dark fruits (raisins, figs?)…

Taste – Quite sweet, hints of brown sugar, coffee, slightly bitter

Mouthfeel – quite thick but not too heavy.. fairly smooth.. very drinkable..

Overall – one of my favorite oatmeal stouts… highly recommended if you like this style.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours pitch black with a thin cap of beige head and moderate retention. Nose is roasted coffee, sweet molasses, oatmeal cookies. Taste is pretty sweet with flavors of oats, bitter chocolate, black licorice, and roasted malts coming through. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth and thick, very nice. This is a very good stout, more drinkable than the Imperial.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours very, very black. With a bit of a satiny shine. Good, two finger brown head floating atop this liquid which stays til the end. Lace sticks to the glass like butter, leaving behind artistic designs on the glass. Smells sweet and earthy. Malts, oatmeal, molasses, coffee, and some nuts. The earthy smell seems a bit out of place. It reminds me of garden dirt. Ooh, good taste. Sweet malts, nuts, molasses, bitter coffe, sweet chocolate, and even a bit of spice. Mouthfeel is smooth. Just like the satin it looks like. Very drinkable. I can drink these one after another, and enjoy the last like the first. I love this beer.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

I had high expectations for this beer, as stouts are my favorite style. I grabbed a bottle of this in favor of my usual choice, Deschute's Obsidian Stout, because I was in the mood for something new.

Poured like your normal quality stout, near black with a somewhat thick tan head. Mouthfeel was a bit too thin for my tastes but it got the job done. Although the taste wasn't too impressive I enjoyed the absence of a strong chocolate flavor, which makes mosts stouts undrinkable with meals. The versatility of this beer is probably its best attribute, you can have it with or without food unlike many other sweeter tasting stouts.

Highly recommended over your average brew, but as far as stouts go you can do better. Even so, this one won't disappoint.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Lookin' good--dark brown with a thick, lasting tan head. Smells of chocolate, carmel, and apples. Maybe a hint of cinnamon, too. It tastes of bittersweet, dark chocolate and honey. Carmel and apple tastes are there, but to a lesser degree. This is a fantastic beer! Very filling and very enjoyable!

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

500ml bottle bought from the Vineyard Belfast

Pours a very deep brown colour. Head is quite tan and full – lasts quite a while..

Aroma – chocolate, coffee, slight hint of dark fruits (raisins, figs?)…

Taste – Quite sweet, hints of brown sugar, coffee, slightly bitter, some cookies ?…

Mouthfeel – quite thick but not too heavy.. fairly smooth.. very drinkable..

Overall – one of my favourite oatmeal stouts… highly recommended if you like this style…

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Brew pours a deep reddish brown - not quite opaque with a thick fluffy tan head. Lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass throughout the drink

The smell is subtle but pretty much by-the-book stout: notes of caramel, hints of smoke and a wee bit 'bready'

The taste is quite heavenly - lots of dark roasted taste without any hint of burning or over-toasting. Primarily a caramel or molasses like sweet note with compliments of coffee and chocolate. Barely any hop note there but there is a small bitterness at the end to round out the taste.

Mouthfeel is everything an Oatmeal Stout ought to be - it's like drinking velvet and cream. There's a light amount of carbonation to fuzz up the tongue but the creaminess leaves a slightly oily coating on the tongue.

Very, very drinkable - just what you'd hope for in an Oatmeal Stout. The brewers have avoided some of the more aggressive notes that can tend towards burnt coffee or bitter chocolate and have instead created a brew which is classic: sweet, dark and creamy...

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Lately I've been feeling like I should put my reviews up for the beers that defined my early exploration into good beer. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is THE beer. The one that slapped me in the face, and made me realize that there was a whole world out there of better beer. Astonishingly, it is still one of my favorite beers of all time, a beer I still get a frequent craving for, a year and a hundred or so new beers later.

So how does it taste?
Excellent. There's a very sweet taste here that I still can't pin down, and I don't get a lot from other stouts. Kind of like molasses. Some astringency is there too. When I first started drinking this beer I noticed a metallic taste as well, but I can't detect it anymore, which might be attributed to a different pallette. For some reason I'm having hard time identifying the different flavors in this brew, which might be why I like it so much. Oh sure, the usual stout flavors are there, there's some roasted coffee, some bittersweet chocolate. But this beer tastes like it made it's own rules for how it should taste. I haven't had any other beer that tastes quite like this one. Young's comes closest, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Appearance and Smell. Not completely black, there are ruby edges, and light can actually penetrate this beer if it is bright enough/viewed at the right angle. Head is modest, receding to a fine lace. Oddly enough, I know I've had some bottles that produced very little if any head, or lacing, although I don't remember the flavor ever suffering much due to this.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

500ml bottle in a 3 pack that came with a Samuel Smith pint glass and beer coasters
Appearance: Poured an opaque color with some ruby coloring. Had a nice head of foam with little or no lacing in the glass.
Smell: An excellent chocolate malt-coffee like aroma.
Taste: Has a sweet malty chocolate taste that I liked very much. Samuel Smith said that this had an IBU of 32, but I couldn't really taste that much bitterness. I liked that it didn't show it, because it might have ruined it.
Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, not much carbonation, and has a slight roasted malt aftertaste.
Drinkability: An excellent oatmeal stout that people should try. Becareful when buying because it comes in a clear bottle and you don't know how long it's been sitting out.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a dark coffee color with a slight amber hue, some head and lacing, and can not see the carbonation.

The smell has a bready, toasted, molasses malt smell with resin and citrus hops.

A lightly sweet, moderately bitter, molasses, roasted coffee malt with a spruce and citrus hops flavor.

Medium to full body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft and lively carbonation, and a slight metallic and astringent finish.

Drinkability is good for this style.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a very solid stout. I'm chasing the dragon after drinking a Stone Imperial Stout the night before, which is not distributed here in Iowa. Not nearly on the same level, but it has served its purpose well for the night.

Appearance is jet black is no light passage and a perfect tan head. The head sticks around for quite a long time, but does not lace well.

Smells like chocolate malt and coffee. Only a hint of roast.

Tastes very sweet, which recedes to a bit of a bitterness from the roastiness and hop bite in the aftertaste. The beer is fairly light bodied but with a creamy mouthfeel. Swishing throughout the mouth provides an awesome sweet malty flavor. Drinkability is good for this stout. Another one I'll probably drink again from Sam Smith.

(edit: Search for my post in the food & beer forum for Barbecue Stout Burgers. They were excellent with this brew.)

2.77/5  rDev -34%

A: Dark brown with ruby highlights. Head was almost non existant. No lacing.

S: Right out of the bottle I got a weird skunky smell that went away after it warmed up to almost room temp. Bitter coffee smells with some malty undertones. Can't get that funk out of my nose, though.

T: Hoppy, more hoppy than I would have expected. Solid malt base. Loads of bitter coffee here.

M: Even though this looked flat, it was carbonated quite nicely. Very full in body. Low alcoholic warmth.

D&N: I had this one more than a decade ago on tap in Spain, this beer isn't even close to what it could be. I can't shake the skunkiness I smelled when I first opened this one. No head, average tastes, Not something I'd recommend.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A really full bodied ale.

Black, rich roasted malt flavor. Slightly sweet, fruity with just a touch of hops.

Smooth. Seemed to actually taste better as it warmed up to "cool" rather than "cold".

A drink to sink your teeth into. Drink it by itself or with hearty food that can stand up to it.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

poured a dedep, black almost opaque color. Smell is of coffee and expresso. Taste is enjoyable but nothing spectactular. Left a nice dry taste. Drinkable, but nothing above average. After reading all tghe great reviews, I was a bit disapointed. I've tasted better stouts.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)