Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,262 | Ratings: 6,531
4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

I am a beer vendor and the receiving woman at one of my old stores and her husband adore this beer. She asked me if I could bring it into her store but we were out of stock at our warehouse. So I found a 4pk at another account and brought it to her, she was over the moon about this beer. Normally I would not drink many stouts. I ended up finding another 4pk and had to buy it to try it and give her and her husband each a beer out of the pack. I've never open a beer in my car but I had to see what the fuss was all about so the second I got out of the store I popped one open. In the bottle it seemed a little to carbonated but it tasted really really... Normal not like a coffee or chocolate stout, this shocked me. So I get home and pour it into a pint glass and was absolutely shocked at how dark the beer was because having first tried it in the bottle it didn't taste burnt or really stout like other very dark beers. After pouring it into the pint glass the over carbonation went away and the beautiful tan head laced the glass ever so slightly. It is a wonderful dark beer that will surprise you. This is my first ever beer review. In conclusion this is a dark oatmeal stout that has a balance between flavors that is unprecedented

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: This stout pours surprisingly dark which makes it seem like a really thick beer. It does have a fairly thick and foamy tan/cream colored head which makes the beer more appealing.

Smell: This beer has very distinct nutty aromas. The nutty aroma is intimidating at first but does become more appetizing after you start to smell the coffee and chocolate notes. Overall, this stout has some distinct roasty, malty notes throughout.

Taste: Although sweeter than expected, it does have some bitter chocolate notes. The taste is fairly nutty with some hints of toffee and oats. I would describe this beer to be very roasty with burnt malts, chocolate, and some less distinct notes of licorice. In comparison to other dark beers like Guinness, it is sweeter and has a more "chocolate nutty" taste.

Mouthfeel: Has a very smooth, silky feel when you drink it and is a fairly easy-to-drink beer. It does not seem to have as much carbonation in comparison to most other beers (in my opinion), so in that sense it adds to the silkiness of the beer. Contrary to its appearance, the beer feels fairly thin.

Overall, it is a decent beer that I would recommend to others. I appreciate that an oatmeal stout stays true to its name and does in fact taste oaty and nutty. However, it is a hard beer to get used to because of its sheer complexity. It does however have a perfect balance of sweet and bitter and isn't too overwhelming for first time oatmeal stout drinkers.

3.34/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A musty and oat like scent that poured nicely with a light yellow head. At first taste, you can really taste the oats and coffee like flavor. The after taste was not as pleasing, it was very musty and almost card-board like. I was not as impressed with this stout as I wanted to be, I was looking for their to be more of a maple, oats (aka "oatmeal") taste to it!

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 500 ml single into a nonic, deep dark mahogany, huge khaki foamy head, good retention, lots of lacing. Nose of leathery licorice, some mildly bitter and roasted coffee beans. Taste is more nutty and rich, some oats, and some roasted warmth but no bitterness. Fairly earthy and just a little sweet. Good stuff. Very smooth rich mouthful, but the body is on the lighter side. Finish is fairly uneventful...kind of smooth and continuous.

3.61/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, a bit let down with this as I was sure it would be great. Reviews seem to support it too but I just think it pales in comparison to their organic chocolate stout and nut brown ale which are favs.

L: Pours the deepest darkest brown with a beautiful 2 finger head if poured correctly. As the head recedes there is some beautiful lacing. It really clings.

S: First sign I might not be a fan of this one. Malt of course but also light scents of leather, oatmeal and bread.

T: Drinkable but not what I thought it would be. Almost a generic taste. Very smooth but hmmm.... just nothing special about it. What am I missing? This is a 94 on BA? Taste matches smell almost to a T. A touch of rubber bike tire inner tube air. A touch of carbon paper, maybe Moxie. Damn I want to like this.. :(

F: Feel is typical Samuel Smith. Smooth drinking with a slight bit of overcarb which gives it a zing on the tongue. Not as good as their other beers I have tasted though. Probably because there is little sweetness to push back on the zing.

Overall I am not a hater but wouldn't buy this again. I was sure it was going to be special. To me the organic chocolate stout is light years ahead of this. Maybe I just like sweet stouts. This is like a base stout that has not had it's flavor added yet. Might be me, probably is.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: It pours dark brown with a creamy, light brown head. When head to the light, it is clear.

Smell: It has a roasted aroma that is complimented with a mild coffee aroma. There are also hints of butter and vague hints of fruit.

Taste: The roasted malt flavors are prominent with the coffee in the background. There are hints of butter in the flavors. There is moderate bitterness. The flavors of oats is a secondary flavor that comes forward as the beer warms.

Feel: It has a medium creamy texture with moderate bitterness on the palate.

Overall: It is a beer that is moderately creamy that highlights the balance between roasted malts and the oats with hints of butter and fruits in a quality flavor harmony.

3.32/5  rDev -21%

One of the first oatmeal stouts I tried 20 years ago. Smell is oats, and caramel. Smell is much greater than the taste. I am a lover of stouts if they are complex and taste great, but this one misses the mark.

2.69/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I thought that this would be a great beer considering the reviews it had gotten on various beer rating sites, however I was slightly disappointed. It wasn't very rich in scent, and didn't carry a lot of flavor, almost watery to say the least.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coffee and licorice in the aroma. Herbal perfumey hops. Toasted bread and some baking spices. Chocolate teddy grahams, maybe?

Pours nearly black with a creamy light tan head. Good retention with decent lacing.

Rich complex malt character with dark roasted grains upfront followed with fresh biscuits and oatmeal cookies. Some dark fruits. Prunes and licorice. Snappy hop bitterness, slightly fruity and herbal balancing the slightly sweet finish. Graham cracker crust and cocoa. A touch of raspberry.

Silky medium high body with low carbonation. Slick, almost oily, but not chewy. Long slightly sweet finish.

Complex grainy malt character with balancing roasty bitterness. A lot going on in 5%.

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Quite simply my favorite beer. I have had many "favorites" over the years, but I keep coming back to this one. Many of the reviews have gone into detail about the taste, feel, and look of the beer so I will not elaborate too much else about it. I will describe it as a 50%, or maybe less, Guinness Stout with a semi-sweet, delightfully creamy blend added to it. Not too subtle and not in your face flavors. Just perfect for me. It can be simply a treat or even a session beer for myself. I just enjoy this beer.

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%

From the first sip I knew I was experiencing something special. The flavor didn't strike me as particularly complex, it struck me as "right"....if that makes sense. Nothing seems out of place with this brew. For me personally, this style is not something that I'm into, so I probably won't be drinking a lot more of them. With that said, there was absolutely nothing wrong with this beer.

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Classic oatmeal stout. Tons of head with nice retention. Smell is typical chocolate and roasty, with hints of raw grain. Taste is really sweet with excellent oatmeal flavor. Bitter chocolate notes. Full body nice carbonation, smooth and frothy. A total classic

4.71/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Writing this as I drink it...

Poured a 355ml bottle into a 350ml beer glass.

Poured a very dark reddish brown with a good but fairly loose light brown head. Head retention good. Lots of lacing.

Good nose with chocolate, coffee, oats, malt, some cola, licorice and stone fruit.

Palate is very expressive and complex. Roasted - burnt malts, chocolate, coffee, toffee, licorice, dark stone fruit.

Mouth is also very god. Full in the mouth and beautifully balanced.

I'm not a huge fan of stouts but this blew me away. Very complex, well balanced, great mouth-feel, nice head, good lacing and even a beautiful label/bottle. Superb!

Everyone should try this beer not just fans of the style.

Highly recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks like liquid chocolate. Good lacing. Great flavor. Oats, Chocolate, Malty. Overall a very good beer and it is not expensive at all. This is one of those beers where you get some bang for your buck!

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a dark chocolate color. Aroma is roasted malts to a point of almost burnt. Flavor is oatmeal with notes of chocolate and a finish of roasted malts. Has a little bit of a light body and overall is a very solid beer.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours opaque black with frothy foamy tan head that sticks around and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass sides. A little bit of soapy looking bubbles in the head. Smells of coffee and cream with slight dark chocolate notes. Some English yeast esters seem evident. No hops in aroma. Tastes semi-sweet with some dark roasts and a bit of an earthy & nutty character. Medium high bitterness helps even out the mostly sweet character. Feels velvety and smooth just like a dark chocolate milkshake. The oatmeal simply give this beer a great mouthfeel. Overall, an excellent brewed beer and a hallmark of the Oatmeal Stout category. I really dig this, just feels like it's missing a little oomph character to really make me a huge fan of this.

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

550ml bottle poured into Sam Adams pint glass.

Pours nearly black with pretty cherry highlights when held to the light with half a finger of creamy mocha head that leaves rocky foothills lace as it slowly recedes.

Smells of chocolate ice cream, creamy coffee, dark berry jam, faint burnt sugar and black licorice.

Tastes follows nose, but not as sweet as I was expecting. More chocolate ice cream and coffee, toasted caramel, dark berries and sweet black licorice.

Feels firm and smooth. Medium bodied with solid, creamy carbonation. Finishes off-sweet.

Verdict: Vigorously recommended. It's like drinking a milkshake.

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is quite dark. Holding to the light, I can see just a small amount of a sheen through the glass. The head after being poured was about 2 1/2 fingers of a light shade of almond.

The aroma was very pleasant and sweet. I could sense chocolate, and coffee.

The taste has a lot going on. My first sip seemed to have a bit of a unique flavor on the front. I wasn't sure at first if it was supposed to be like that, and to me, it seemed very familiar. The back had a lot of chocolate, coffee, a little almond, and than it hit me. The unique flavor (which is subtle) was similar to well water. I read the bottle and found that its brewed with...you guessed it; well water. Keep in mind, its not overpowering, and in fact, my wife couldn't taste it. But growing up drinking well water, the taste is unmistakable; not in a bad way. In fact, I think it enhances all the flavors naturally. Very, very, tasty, and would say this was a great way to end an evening.

It feels very milky and smooth.

Overall I certainly enjoyed this one. I look forward to many more in the near future!

4.16/5  rDev -1%

From bottle, pours dark brown with a frothy tan head that leaves nice lacing. Aroma is oats, barley, and coffee with cream. Taste is mocha, oatmeal, and roasted barley, milk chocolate, caramel.

My favorite stout. Looks nice, thick, and black, as a stout should. Smells...like a stout. Ha! Tastes sweet, toasty/burnt, hints of coffee, caramel and fruit. Excellent smooth mouth feel thanks to the oatmeal! Enough hops that they aren't prominent, but keep the sweetness in check and superbly balanced for a stout.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Pitch black. Head fades away soon. Aroma: cocoa, milk chocolate, roasted malts, coffee. Taste: More milk chocolate, belgian chocolate, a fair hint of cherries, coffee. Very long finish. Full bodied. Don't know, not really enthusiastic about this.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was the last of 3 Samuel Smith beers I tried, and probably my favorite of the bunch.

Look: If you've ever seen a Guinness, you've seen this beer. Dark with a dense head that doesn't fade quickly.

Smell: Malt, coffee, and cream.

Taste: Exactly the same as the smell. I found it alarmingly similar to Guinness, only slightly better. Can't put my finger on it, but there's also something in the background mainly serving to enhance the main flavors.

Feel: Creamy goodness. Not a lot else to say about it, even the head was creamy. It felt like the beer had been topped with whipped cream.

Overall: I was very impressed by this beer. It ticks every box for an enjoyable stout, but lacks the "wow" factor to put it over the top. I would definitely return to it again though.

4.96/5  rDev +18.1%

One of the best I have tasted. Pours nearly coal black. Tan head that sticks around. I smelled blackstrap molasses in the nose as well as coffee and Hershey's Special Dark. Taste was surprisingly nice with a sweet, but not cloying taste. Overall I give this a 5 because it was the first oatmeal stout I've ever had and it was beyond decent. It exceeded my expectations.

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%

Very dark brown. Not quite opaque. Pillowy, chunky head retains well and is a medium shade of brown. Smells only minimally roasty, with molasses, dark berry and bready notes. Much more roasty on the palate. Notes of dark chocolate, even the tartness to it reminds me more of cocoa or coffee than fruit. More molasses and berries can be teased out as beer is sloshed around the mouth. Finish is smoky, roasty, somewhat bitter, influenced by whatever small amount of classic English hops were put in this. Neither dry nor cloying, and not overly astringent, in spite of smoke, tart, and bitterness. Body is medium, perhaps a bit thin. In any case, it's an easy drinker. Carbonation is spritzy but so very fine, not conflicting with the velvety texture of the liquid.

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drinking my first Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout right now. Pours dark brown with a nice tan, large, foamy head. Did not see a date on the bottle, but I'm probably blind.

I noticed malted barley,chocolate, coffee.

Low carbonation. Smooth, silky, creamy mouth feel.

I do like stouts/oatmeal stouts and this one did not disappoint. Still have 3 left waiting
for me, and this is a good thing.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)