Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Reviews: 1,307 | Ratings: 3,019
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a thick brown/black with a nice tan head. The froth of the head clings to the glass all the way down. Very smooth beer with all sorts of different flavors coming through. Chocolates,figs,coffee,and berries are just to name a few. It is low on carbonation and very filling. Refreshing and crisp on the palate, leaves it begging for more. Very easy do drink and if you get hooked you can drink it all night.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Pour: Dark brown like a maple syrup color with a light beige colored head
Smell: Roasted, almost burnt coffee aroma with light spices and chocolate
Taste: Roasted malt with coffee and chocolate flavors abundant. Extremely smooth.
An excellent porter. Highly recommend to all.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

I was anxious to try to Taddy Porter. It may sound odd but since I visited England in the early 80's and since I learned that my ancestors are from Yorkshire, I really feel an affinity for most things Yorkshire. And so I continued my quest for knowledge.

The Taddy Porter poured a DARK brown, nearly black. No light will penetrate this beer! The head was moderately frothy and only slightly dissipated in the couple of minutes I waited to taste.

The aroma was relatively mild. I could smell the malt, which was a good sign. I was intrigued, which is exactly what I look for when I smell my beer.

Sometimes, I wonder if the sight of a beer in glass creates a bias when I taste. I am not aware of one but I thought I’d taste this beer with my eyes closed. Sure, I’d seen the beer already but hey, I never pass up an opportunity to make a fool of myself.

Upon first taste of the dark liquid, (I assumed it was dark, I had my eyes closed) I noticed a pronounced sweet molasses/malt flavor. The beer was slightly dry with very good carbonation. This helps the drinkability for me as it tickles the tongue. Hey...I love the tongue tickling!

The beer did not weigh heavy, which surprised me, but I was looking for a more overt taste of alcohol. That’s not a criticism, really, because the flavor was good.

Overall, this is a very good porter. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to close their eyes and drift away to Northern England.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

A fantastic beer that makes me wish I had bought more. Poured and drank from a standard beer mug.

A- Great pour, thick tan head with decent lacing on the glass. almost completely opaque with a slight maroon glow through it.

S- Rich and dark, Can almost imagine a charred oak barrel aging away.

T- As good as it smells and looks. Oak aged flavors give way to a hint of chocolate and roasted barley, yet end on a fairly light note.

M- Not as thick as I had expected with the pour. Definitely was not lacking in carbonation though, maybe a little too much.

D- Seemed the more I drank of this one the more I wished it was a bottomless glass. Sam Smith got it right with this one.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

550ml Bottle to Tulip Pokal Glass.

Appearance- Deep dark brown color with frothy soapy thick "jamocha" head!

Just a bueatiful scent that makes my mouth water ever time.
Cacao roasted malt with a hint of salt and fig notes that blend perfectly bitter hops that just pop at the end of a long sniff! (AWW Famous indeed.)
Enough foreplay. Mouth feel, from tip to the back of my tongue is complex with light to medium carbonation that makes a smooth smooth intoxcatiy sliky brew!

This porter is one my favorites, Hands Down.
-Enjoy!

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a tan head. Lacing all over.

S: Nutty bread and rye. Earthy.

T: Earthy malts, nuts, caramel, big toffee notes, chocolate definitely, and some rye bread. Great!

M: Light to medium and that nice airyness that makes this porter such a classic.

O: Complex and delicious. This is what I would call a true porter. It's sweet and nutty and has plenty of creaminess to fill you up!

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: An agressive pour from bottle to beer-clean Imperial pint glass resulted in a two finger collar of quality tan foam. Hints of excellent lacing as the head begins to slowly dissipate. The brew is jet-black and my mouth was agape upon discovering that this beer is packaged in clear glass!!

Aroma: Very earthy nose with hints of chocolate (brownie mix). The aroma of this beer leaves the taster longing for a visit to the much- -revered English brewery.

Taste: Calling the taste complex is like referring to sex as reproduction. The taste is nutty, grassy, and heavy with malt. The hop notes are muted, yet well-balanced...happy to be singing harmony with the stellar malts.

Mouthfeel: Balance is the key...and this quality porter is balanced. The long finish leaves a delicate sweet coating on the lips and fore-tongue.

Drinkability: I could do this one all day, all night, and all day tomorrow.

Seldom do I rave...I can only hope my ancestors has access to beer this good!!!

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A-Deep rich brown near black even against direct light.

S-Complex malt, slight alcohol as well as vinilla and some degree of nuttyness

T%M-Just like the nose suggest extremely complex everything comes through from the nose. Very well balanced my only complaint was it seemed a little thin in the body.

D-I'll come back to this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Deep mahogany with ruby edges. Large creamy beige head. Good retention and little lacing left.

S - Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and a hint of tobacco.

T - Roasted malt and chocolate and coffee make up most of the taste. More chocolate than coffee. Also with these is some caramel, butterscotch, and burnt sugar/molasses. Slightly sweet and slightly bitter porter.

M - Medium body with low carbonation. Very smooth and creamy despite being somewhat thin. Would like it to be a bit fuller.

D - Really good smooth and easy to drink. Lovely flavors that are well balanced. Lots of good porter flavors.

Notes: Very nice porter with balanced and nice flavors. Not too bitter and not too sweet. Smooth and nice body, but I would like it to be a bit fuller.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Beautiful porter/stout appearance.

Smell - Superb malty, chocolatey delight.

Taste - ditto to smell, with a slight hop crisp in the finish

Mouthfeel - perfect for the style

Overall - Really, for an English Porter, this is fabulous beer. No tinkering necessary with craft.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

This is probably the best porter I've yet sampled... Samuel Smith is probably one of my favorite breweries, and this beer clearly justifies my strong liking of the company... pours a pitch-black, opaque color with a decent tan head... smell is of burnt chocolate and espresso... taste is full of cocoa, dark coffee, chocolate, and slight malts... an excellent porter, goes down smooth with no hints of bitterness... semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor lingers on the palate and is very sweet and satisfying... would go great with anything sweet, especially chocolate... very crisp, clear flavor... awesome sample... definitely recommended...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

this one comes in a brown bottle?

this guy is a superdark brown. somewhere between the nutbrown and oatmeal. above it sits a khaki head, which sits comfortably and not looking like it's going anywhere. not quite as tightly bubbled as the nut brown

if brown had a smell this would be it. sharp mocha; dry, bitter chocolate. bready

just as with the nut brown the flavor features more hops than the aroma suggests. robust, dry malty flavors. there's a creaminess to it that carries well the small amount of sweetness

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: A classic looking front label that is simple yet still eye-catching with a classic color scheme. Front label gives a bit of brewery info. Back label gives web info, a bit of brewery info, a nice description of the beer, and a nice back story on the beer. Neck and cap are gold foil wrapped. Bottle has “Samuel Smith” and “Bottled at Yorkshires Oldest Brewery est. 1758” embossed at the top and bottle of the bottle respectively.

Appearance: An aggressive pour from its 550ml Victorian Pint Bottle into a 16oz English Pint glass led to a thick and creamy 3 finger dark tan head atop a deep dark brown coffee colored beer. Head retention was a nice 3min 41sec before fading to a thick creamy coating and thick ring that resulted in nice lacing.

Smell/Aroma: Smell is of deep roasted coffee malts with nice hints of chocolate and molasses. Simple yet outstanding!

Flavor/Taste: Taste on the front-end is of roast chocolate malts with a bit of molasses/brown sugar sweetness. Mid-point is dominated by a rich, deep fresh brewed roasted coffee bitterness with a slightly sweet molasses flavor still lingering. Back-end is of roast coffee and a dark fruit, possibly fig, flavor that provides excellent balance. Roasty aftertaste.

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Full-bodied, thick, creamy, velvety, and smooth mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. This is a fairly heavy beer that is surprisingly drinkable with a nice light ABV and excellent flavors.

Overall/Comments: Simply put, this is a great beer and really a must try. I find nothing to critique this beer on, its near perfect, IMO. One of the better porters I have ever had! Consumed 1/14/16. Classified as an English Porter @ 5% ABV.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Somehow I found myself craving this one after a series of mediocre beers at GOTV. Let's try this one in the 100 degree heat!

Here it pours it looks like engine oil going into my glass. Real Viscous! Nice off white head very thin, but clinging on the way down.

Wow, it smells like crazy caramel corn and butter? Real strange. But there is some floral hops in there too. And toffee.

Amazing taste! This one is super balanced and fun. Even thirst quenching in a weird way. This one is very drinkable and complex at the same time.

Real pure silk and velvet mouthfeel.

Overall, this is one great beer and definitely would have again and again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

550ml bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A: Pours a deep brown with hues of garnet. Clarity is great. Tan head is pillowy and creamy. Great retention, uneven rings of lacing. Looks great in the glass.

S: Rich caramel, roasted barley, espresso, and mild toffee notes. Darkfruit scents of currant and blackberry. Hint of chocolate covered cherries. Blackstrap molasses. Sweet on the nose overall, though there is just the slightest twang of acidic tartness in the background. The nose is excellent, and very complex. I took my time and let it open up, and my patience was rewarded.

T: Caramel and toffee at the outset. Mild roasted notes of wood and a touch of smoke. Bold tastes of roasted barley and espresso unfold on the mid-palate. Plum, blackberry, and currant undertones. Juicy plum comes to the forefront for an instant. Yeasty flavors of bread patted with flour. Faint suggestion of garden herbs from the hops, maybe tobacco leaf too. Cocoa and molasses. Hint of acidity hits to tip of the tongue ever so subtly. The finish is dry and mellow, but complex and lingering. Caramel, toffee, soft charcoal notes, and a light fruitiness recede slowly and softly.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied. Very creamy and silky in the mouth. Low carbonation, very slight astringency. Insanely smooth.

O: This is the English porter against which all others must be measured. One of the most complex beers I've had to date; a new flavor presents itself with each sip. It really doesn't get much better than this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Even though I am not even close to being a real beer advocate yet, I would have to say this is the best beer I have tried so far. Tasted great, smelled great, and felt great. I have drinkin this a few more times since I treid it and I always get the same impression.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

A - this porter pours a very dark bornw, but it doesnt seem truly black, with a thick foamy 2 finger espresso colored head, too dark to note carbonation

S - a mellow sweetness hits the nose first, with a vanill/toffee like characteristic, both are well blended into the quality hop and malt profiles, oh, and at the end of the whiff, some slight coffee hints as well

T - wow, this is amazing, what a great porter, the sweetness is there and poignant but not overpowering, very mellow and masterfully blended into the hop/malt beery goodness what an amazing flavor, the vanill/toffee flavor is so warming and smooth, what a great wintry beer, even the girlfriend enjoyed (not just tolerated it) which speaks volumes

M&D - what can i say, a masterfully crafted porter, smooth, sweet, slightly bitter, all in one, easily the best porter of this relatively unexplored style (by me) i have ever had

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

bottle into sam smith pint glass

a very heady beer, just like that oatmeal stout I just had. the head is a great colour, like a beige or desert tan, maybe a light chocolate milk colour. it is incredibly creamy and delicious. the body is a deep ruby brown, and lets light barely through the middle. the nose is fine for a porter, could have more coffee and malts, and could be stronger. the taste, however, is exceptional. deep dark roasted malts, traces of coffee and caramel, a touch of what I would call booze, something slightly sharp, and a miniscule tinge of sour. the feel is quite thin, even with the big carbonation. but this, however, coupled with the taste makes the brew incredibly drinkable and a great session beer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured in samuel smith pint glass

A: Deep deep brown with a tan that is about 3 fingers this one looks tasty.

S: I smell it form a foot away, lots of roasted malts, with hops in the nose as well.

T: so light for how it looks, the taste threw me off I was expecting something bigger, roasty and acidic to start with the hops to round out the beers finish melding perfect with the acidic qualities that are there form the start, this is perfectly balanced.

M: This is so light, the carbonation is good, it leaves a dry roastyness on the pallet. it is refreshing as any other beer I have. balanced out, and just right on point.

D: superior drinkability, I could session these or I could have one and done. This is a fine example of a porter this is done right. oh so good.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep mahogany with a tan lingering head. Aroma of vanilla and nuts with a hint of cocoa. Flavour is chocolatey with a smooth nuttiness. Mid palate I sense some vanilla and cocoa. Finish is slightly bitter and roasty

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured black, with ruby colors when held up to the light. With light tan head that left good lacing.

Aroms is chocolate and dark malt, smells awfully similar to Young's Double Chocolate Stout actually. At least from my memory.

Taste has just a little bit of the chocolate flavor, a touch of roasted malt, a tad sweet, but finishes pretty dry, which keeps me wanting more.

Mouthfeel is medium, borderline creamy.

Overall this is one excellent porter, I would buy the crap out of this if it was more reasonably priced. But this is a nice cold weather beer that I could drink many of.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

BB July 09, served cool in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: nearly black in colour, showing some dark mahogany glows when placed against light; the huge rocky khaki foam retains the thickness well, settling only reluctantly to a 0.5cm blanket throughout the drink.
S: compared with my previous notes, the aroma this time is predominantly fruity, featuring lots of jammy dark fruits, black date flesh, black prunes, raisins, burned nuttiness, treacle, even thick soy sauce, a tinge of moulded cheese, and a assertive sour edge more like an old ale could give... as the heavier fruity tinge softens, a rich oat-biscuity aroma sneaks through... overall the aroma is just phenomenal and beautifully complex for an English Porter! For a bottled Porter, now I really don't know which one is my favourite, Fuller's London Porter or this...
T: cobweb? (... don't know why this springs to mind, maybe it's the mould and stuff...) then roasted nuts, the bitter edge of treacle, a touch of moulded cheese, soothingly-textured roasted malts, bitter dark chocolates and bitter licorice roots roam freely on the palate alongside very mixed dark fruitiness... the flavour is so well-integrated and somewhat clean(!) that I can't tell where the roast-maltiness ends and the fruitiness starts. The lingering moderate-level bitterness of hops, burned nuts and black malt together lend a superb length in the slightly dry aftertaste.
M&D: utterly smooth, even rounded, greatly helped by microscopic fizziness that sustains throughout the drink. If I am to choose one bottled-version English Porter as a session beer that gives me all the flavour with a healthy balance, pleasure of quaffing, yet also from time to time a little something that I would pause to have a good sniff of... this is the one.

Tasting Date: 31/08/05
BB date: Jan. 06.
4 A: in a goblet it pours a deeply dark brown to nearly black colour; the tan head quickly settles to a thin layer with good retention.
4.5 S: deeply chocolatey, roasted nutty and toffeeish with a very good depth, supported by an intense, aromatic dark-fruit aroma and a tinge of leather, licorice, even blue-cheese(!), and some lively coffeeish note. Overall, the nose is settled, complex yet also aromatic~~
4.5 T: a roasted-barley and dark malty flavour prevails upfront--very smooth palate, with nuttiness, dark chocolate's rich flavour at the back along with a hint of savoury flavour and very mild hoppyness. In the aftertaste the profound nutty flavour lingers only too well, but is balanced with a medium-bitterness and leads to a slightly dryish finish.
4.5 M&4.5 D: the mouthfeel is consistently smooth, even rounded, but has a refreshing texture, thanks to the tiny yet invisible bubbles in the black nectar; medium-bodied, with full flavour yet staying low-profile, this is a balanced porter with some excellent yet subtle characteristics. It takes time to explore this beer fully. Excellent beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a crystal mug the beer appears a very dark black cherry red with a beige head. Good lacing, very inviting.
The smell hints roasted malt and fruit.
The taste starts with roasted malt, hints of coffee, mingled with some fruit like dried plum or prune. This sweetness of course is kept in check with a very balanced bitterness of mild hops and dark chocolate. Very smooth and creamy like all beers from this great brewery. Very , very drinkable!! This brewery has become my favorite, every beer you pick up from them tastes great.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

This is one of those beers that you just want to savor.
Nice chocolate brown coloring.
An aroma of coffee and chocolate.
Nice head.
Coffee and chocolate with a touch of roasted malt.
Settles nicely on the tongue. The hops start to appear at the back of the tongue but slowly fade away.
What a delicious beer! I know there's a lot of hype about Sam Smith beers. But they really do know how to put out some quality stuff.
Very easy to drink. The aroma stays with you on every sip.
Just the right amount of alcohol for me.
My only complaint is that I only bought on bottle.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Opened a bottle of Taddys Porter on a cold, dry evening after a big dinner. This porter presents as well as any bottled beer I've experienced. An easy two inch, full tan/cream colored head formed after pouring into the glass and persisted for a few minutes. The aroma was fleeting, with wafts of toffee and caramel. Great, full bodied flavor I expect from a porter and makes for an easy drink as the robust flavor quickly leaves the senses, making the drinker wanting sip after sip. A creamy thick mouthfeel rounds out this porter as one of my favorite to date. Try one!

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)