Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter
4.17/5
Exceptional
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Ratings: 3,118 |  Reviews: 1,340
2.91/5  rDev -30.2%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Samuel Smith beers always make me cringe when I see the clear bottles on the shelf – they seem like they’d do such a good job at brewing, but I have had more than my fair share of skunked SS brews in the past. Still, Taddy gets very good reviews; let’s see if the darker brew is less susceptible to the light and other elements.

APPEARANCE: (This is the first review where I could rate the appearance without popping the cap, but I’ll resist…) Black, with only the faintest hint of mahogany coming through. SERIOUS head action with really good staying power. Almost no lacing.

AROMA: Gentle mix of black and chocolate malt, with a generous dash of bottlecap. Seems like there’s a little oxidation here; whether it’s due to the light, age, or handling will remain a mystery. Certainly not much of the telltale “skunk” scent, but then the hops are very low in the first place. Getting a touch of diacetyl as well.

FLAVOR: The aspect of SS beers that seems to be their common bond is the yeast, and its effects are noticeable here – somehow, even though it’s been years, my taste buds are quietly saying, “Oh, yeah – I remember this”. It’s sort of a gentle metallic flavor that helps to impart a very dry finish. Roasted malt flavor is sorta weak, actually, but very smooth. And, in the words of Austin Powers, it’s “a bit nutty.”

MOUTHFEEL: Average weight, high carbonation, move along folks, nothing to see here.

DRINKABILITY: At 5% ABV it’s pretty close to session status, but I think I’d prefer other porters to drink more than one of.

OVERALL COMMENTS: Boy, I hope I get the chance to taste this fresh one day – I think I’d have a much higher opinion of it. As it is, I’m disappointed.

2.94/5  rDev -29.5%

Apperance: very dark, almost black with a nice rich foamy, mocha colored head. Nice lacing and color overall

Smell: Smell was...yikes...not very good smell. I think this bottle sat on the shelf for a while. A bit skunky! I could detect a strong coffee smell with a touch of malts in their somewhere

Taste: was not as bad as the smell! Did have a very genuine coffee flavor along with roasted malts as stated above. Has a slight bitter after taste that makes for a nice finish. Coffee flavor...yes a burnt chocolate coffee flavor is the taste along with a slight earthy flavor

Mouthfeel: fairly smooth and soft, goes down pertty easy

Overall a bit offensive! I will probably give this another try sometime....maybe. Dont know if it was just the bottle or me?

2.96/5  rDev -29%

Since I love Porters I was excited to bring this home and enjpy it with my fav cigar. I was dissapointed. I liked the pour and the head was very nice, leaving some lace, but the taste left me empty. It had hardly a mouthfeel to it so I suppose I'm being genorous in my rating, hardly any of the "chewiness" I'm used to in Porters. Would I drink again? If handed to me yes, but to buy it? Nope.

I know this is considered one of the touchstones against which other porters are judged, and maybe that is why it seems to fall short of my expectations. Very nice, but not outstanding.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 4.17 out of 5 with 3,118 ratings