Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Ratings: 3,073 |  Reviews: 1,325
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

**edit finally tried this again and it would appear my first bottle was indeed a bad bottle.

Appearance - Dark nice looking tan/brownish head.

Smell - roasted malts, and chocolatey smell.

Taste - slight roasted flavor, I felt like it had pretty subtle flavors, but still good overall.

Mouthfeel/Drink - it did have a decent mouthfeel and creaminess too it.

Decent beer despite my first bottle being ruined. It is very drinkable and quite enjoyable. After I drank about half the bottle I finished the rest while eating some good ham, I found the combo quite delicious.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours from the bottle a dark, dark brown with about three fingers of brown head; gorgeous-looking beer with lacing clinging to the pint glass. Tasty, complex nose that American porters don't usually pull off-- molasses, brown sugar, and campfire.

Taste includes the flavors from the nose, plus pale and caramel malts and a new dimension of light smokey peat notes. It's been a while since a beer brought to mind so many flavors.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but I think I was expecting the body of an American porter rather than that of an English porter. Sips smoothly, however, with a slightly sour, sticky finish that brings out just a touch of hops.

So easy to drink... I sought a hearty porter, and while this wasn't it, Taddy Porter was a great beer.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this very dark beer in a pilsner glass... Nice creamy two finger head to go with nice dark color.
Smell/Taste: Aroma was that of dark whipped chocolate, almost like fondue and the taste to go with it. Loved that creamy feel with slight sweet taste at the end.
Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Very balanced flavors with no overpowering aftertaste. Could have one after another.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

550 mL gold foil topped bottle.

Mostly opaque, but clear dark brown color with rub highlights with a thick, creamy light tan head that has little retention or lacing. Aroma is sweet and creamy, prominently features milk chocolate, cocoa, roast malt notes but overall mild. Medium bodied with smooth, light carbonation and a slightly bitter, cloying aftertaste that ends quickly and is slightly watery. Flavor is pleasant, balance of chocolate/malt sweetness and mild dark fruit bitterness, but overall the slightly thin mouthfeel and short finish detracts from the fullness of the flavor. I don't know, I hoped for more from this, not a bad porter but not exceptional like anticipated.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

bottle into sam smith pint glass

a very heady beer, just like that oatmeal stout I just had. the head is a great colour, like a beige or desert tan, maybe a light chocolate milk colour. it is incredibly creamy and delicious. the body is a deep ruby brown, and lets light barely through the middle. the nose is fine for a porter, could have more coffee and malts, and could be stronger. the taste, however, is exceptional. deep dark roasted malts, traces of coffee and caramel, a touch of what I would call booze, something slightly sharp, and a miniscule tinge of sour. the feel is quite thin, even with the big carbonation. but this, however, coupled with the taste makes the brew incredibly drinkable and a great session beer.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a dark brown with a generous beige head.

It doesn't have the generous aromas that I was expecting. Just a hint of milk chocolate and maybe a little bit of coffee.

Both the chocolate and the coffee come through a lot more on the palate. I can sort of get the fig thing that others write about.

Wonderful creaminess in the mouthfeel.

A good beer but why do I always feel let down by porters? It's probably that I just don't understand them properly I suppose.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

550 ml bottle poured into a stemmed pint glasss. From 10/29/09 notes.

Pours a dark chocolate color with a large khaki head of loose bubbles. Head retention and lacing are both very nice.

Aromas are of chocolate, nuts, something mildly lactic, and a faint roasted malt character. Very clean overall.

More of the same on the entry. Homemade chocolate milkshake. Some mild diacytel here and very faint herbal bitter hoppy chararcter in the aftertaste. Cocoa comes out much more as it warms along with a subtle roasted malt flavor in the finish.

Very clean drinking, lightly carbonated. Can't remember the last time I got through a 550 so fast. Drinkability is very high.

This clean and easy drinking beer was the perfect thing for my heartburn the other night. This was an old time go to before I was even really into craft beer and it had been way too long since I tried it. I remember drinking this out of the bottle in a brown bag while walking around San Francisco when I was 21 and loving it. Now that I know enough to give this inconic brew proper respect I enjoy it even more.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

Whoa...

A: Freakin' black as my heart with a big tan head and lots of lacing. I really do think dark beers are the nicest to behold.

S: It smells like a tiny bit of chocolate syrup spread on a piece of warm toast. Mmm.

T: I didn't detect that much coffee as some did, but the chocolate balances perfectly with the malt. It's freakin' amazing. You know when you have dark, bitter chocolate and you let it melt in your mouth and the aftertaste is still there 10 minutes later? That's this beer. AWESOME.

M: I hate when a good tasting beer is over-carbonated. But this one is pretty well done with the CO2. Feels nice.

D: I'm impressed. I really like Sam Smith's Imperial stout, too, though. I suppose this is probably a more drinkable beer than the IS if only for the ABV (the IS is a 7%). I'd take either one again in a heart beat.

A good brew, for sure. I wish Sam Smith was available in 6 packs. Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you liked this, try the Imperial Stout (or vice versa). Freakin' nice!!

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle to my favorite old Bass dimpled made in England mug.Poured a dark brown with a thick foamy taupe head and good lacing.Light aroma of chocolate and coffee nothing too strong though.Taste is wonderful mostly of bitter chocolate with some coffee. Feels smooth and clean with a slight bitter finish. Drinkability is fantastic I could drink this all night without a problem. Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter was the first porter I ever tried and I am finding it hard to beat.

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%

A classic porter...

Pitch black with a good sized tan head that forms quickly and leaves beautiful lacing.

Aroma is not overpowering. In fact I have to a deep breath to recognize its characteristics. I think it's hard to decipher the aromas because it's so well balanced. There are faint chocolate and coffee bean notes, but they're minor and this is by no means a desert porter.

I taste hops, light malts, and oats. There's a moderately bitter finish. The taste is exquisitely balanced.

Creamy mouthfeel, but still not too heavy. You can easily have more than one. Heck, I'm on my 2nd already.

The overall sensation this beer gives off reminds me of SS's oatmeal stout - you can definitely tell the two beers are siblings.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

550 mL bottle poured into a pint glass. Thick, dark, and creamy with a solid inch of tan head. The smell mostly reminds me of semisweet dark chocolate. The flavor has a bit of the dark chocolate as well but is hindered by a strong metallic aftertaste. Still, a pretty mellow and smooth beer with some other hints of vanilla and nuttiness. Mouthfeel is creamy, perfect for this style. Excellent drinkability for a stout.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a over sized pint glass.

A: Very dark, nearly black in appearance. Thick, billowing head that leaves nice lacing.

S: Roasted malt, faint chocolate and faint coffee.

T: Mildly roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, mildly malted hellaciously well balanced.

M: Medium, creamy and smooth as silk.

D: Well, this is absolutely drinkable by nearly everyone who likes beer. May very well be the best porter I have had to date...

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

I was lucky. De Vlaamse Reus in Wageningen managed to get their hands on some Sam Smith classics. I chose the Taddy Porter just to stay away from their Barley Wine and Imperial Stout for once.

A: Black but saw some dark ruby shining once it came close to the candle. One finger thick light brown head.

S: Roasted malts, slight caramel, chocolate and some red fruits.

T: GREAT. Dark roasted malts, notes of cacoa and a bit of coffee. Some citrus and woody bitterness in the aftertaste. All in a great balance and natural occurence.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation and a nice silky mouthfeel.

D: Another great natural Samuel Smith. Great taste without adding chocolate or coffee... with Sam Smith they come naturally and in perfect balance.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice head bout a incha nd a half thick. Good lacing around the glass when swirled.

Faint hint of coffee and a little chocolate to the nose.

Coffe and chocolate to the taste very suddle. Some bread qualities as well, also the alcohol is present.

Medium body thought it would be thicker considering how classic Sam Smith is.

Could really enjoy a couple of these in a sitting but sadly had to move on.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

A- When I went to pour this I was surprised how thin the body was, I usually tend to shy away from porters that are not thick and robust. With that said, the body was thin but black and had a good head with almost zero lacing.

B- I pick up a slight trace of malts and coffee.

T- Very surprised, upon pouring I wasn't expecting much. As the porter hits your palette you get that familiar English thin watery taste/body and that's when it happens, you get hit with an impressive amount of coffee and chocolate notes. I would have never guessed they could pack so much punch.

M- Thin and watery.

D- Very high on the drinkability scale! Delicious, practical, and for under 3 dollars a bomber, I'll be buying this again for sure!

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a dark brown color with a bubbly tanned head that receeds slowly leaving quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Smells of chocolate evident with a strangely similar aura about it just reminding me of other sammy smith products. Also picking up on some light malt sweetness in the nose as well. Taste is just as good. Chocolate immediately evident along the rich smoothness and ever so slightly bitter finish. Very clean, slightly lingering tastes of chocolate and burnt grains. Medium feel with low carb. Overall a solid product that is very enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Very dark brown with a tan 2 finger head. Nice lacing on the sides.

S - Faint chocolate and a bit of a bready smell with a hint of coffee.

T - Light coffee and a slight taste of chocolate. Slightly bitter with a hint of alcohol, but not overpowering in any way.

M - Had a Medium Bodied mouth feel too it. Would have liked it a little thicker, but still good nonetheless.

D - Could definitely put down a few of these at a time. Kinda pissed that I only got one....for now

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 1/2 fingers head - very dark brown; no carbonation rising.

S: Faint chocolate and alcohol smell.

T: Strong alcohol; no dark malt taste and not really robust in any way - this beer really tastes just like every other Samuel Smith beer to me, which is why it's not my favorite. I wish the brewery would do something different because this tastes just like the nut brown to me.

M: Light, airy and foamy.

D: Average.

This beer didn't taste bad, it just didn't really taste like a porter to me - it tasted like every sam smith beer - faint alcohol and a few other faint flavors on the side. I am disappointed.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass - didn't have a pint glass on hand.

This was my first porter, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Poured a dark brown color with a light brown head. Head fades quickly.

The nose wasn't revealing much. Maybe it was me. I caught slight hints of chocolate/coffee. Wasn't overly impressed. The taste reflected the smell, but it was a bit easier to pick up on - again, chocolate taste here. No real bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light - I don't think you could categorize it as much more than medium bodied. Fair amount of carbonation, but it wasn't offensive or distracting. To be honest, it almost felt a bit watery to me.

All in all, I've reviewed this beer as I experienced it. From reading the other reviews, mine seems to differ a bit and I wonder if there wasn't some other variable at play. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future, but for now, this is as I experienced it. All in all a fairly solid beer, but not really thrilled in the least.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

A fantastic beer that makes me wish I had bought more. Poured and drank from a standard beer mug.

A- Great pour, thick tan head with decent lacing on the glass. almost completely opaque with a slight maroon glow through it.

S- Rich and dark, Can almost imagine a charred oak barrel aging away.

T- As good as it smells and looks. Oak aged flavors give way to a hint of chocolate and roasted barley, yet end on a fairly light note.

M- Not as thick as I had expected with the pour. Definitely was not lacking in carbonation though, maybe a little too much.

D- Seemed the more I drank of this one the more I wished it was a bottomless glass. Sam Smith got it right with this one.

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When poured out, The Famous Taddy Porter is very dark, purple/brown color. With very little head retention and no obvious carbonation, I got bored looking at it very, very quickly.

The nose of the beer was decent - smokey with prunes and hints of sweet toffee. Nevertheless, the aromas were simple and distinguishable, which is good in my book.

This beer had a creamy, expanding mouthfeel that exploded in my mouth (oh innuendo). Once I got past the mouth feel I was able to calm down and distinguish tastes: bitter hops, a light non-overpowering coffee flavor, and malts. This beer was very warming and was extremely drinkable.

Overall, this beer way overcompensated for its faults with it's taste and mouth feel. I was immediately sad that I only had one of these lying around and will need to go get another one at some point.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black body, tan head, the perfect looking porter. No visible carbonation.

Aroma: Roasted malts, liquorish, earth brown malts, and light coffee. There are sweet undertonesof toffee, and chocolate. Lots of rich iron-like aroma.

Taste: Dark slightly bitter malts at the top, providing espresso, smokey peat, and cocoa flavours. It has really whiskey-like qualities with an oaky taste, and peat - really had the feel of something that has been barrel aged. The finish is balanced and bitter, giving impressions of bitter dark chocolate, and smokey coffee.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, and as heavy as they come. Silky smooth feel.

Drinkability: Like everything else that Samuel smith's produce, this is truly magnificent, a really classic porter, they way they are meant to be.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Pours a dark almost balck with a hint of a rosy red color. This head pours tall and tan with great retention and lacing.

S-The aroma is of dark fruits first like prunes and some slight chocolate and roasted barley underneath along with fruity esthers melding with all other things.

T- The flavor is much the smae with a soft earhty hoppiness blending well with the fruity easther, chocolate, dark fruits and a very soft bitterness to boot.

M-A creamy, almost syrupy medium mouthfeel and at the very very end, it turns dry! So very nice.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

Had a bottle of this while watching my Packers take it to the Bears. Poured into my pint glass. Pours a deep thick black with a good-sized tan head on top. Decent retention, and it leaves some nice sticky lacing on the glass for good measure. Scents of chocolate powder and roasted malts waft out, but they are weaker than expected. Not very bold at all.

The mouth is extremely creamy and smooth. This is like silk going down. Very pleasant. Decent chocolate flavors mix with a subtle sweet creaminess that make this a very drinkable dark brew. Some roasted nuttiness finishes this one out. I really like this, and I could drink a few at a time. Well done.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a lovely burnished brown-black, with hints of ruby through the body. Head is a great crust of oatmeal-coloured bubbles, which leaves some wonderful curtains of lacing down the glass. Looks really lovely.

Sweet, dark and rich, like a chocolate mud cake. But to save it from being sickly, it has a very pleasant light smoke, anise and a baked bread character, which makes the palate seem more mature, more subtle, and more well rounded. Extremely good.

Creamy on the palate, again with a truly lovely semi-sweet chocolate and grain flavour, which melds with hints of vanilla and currants, before being cleansed with a very pleasant dry dusty character, absolutely lovely. Mouthfeel is full around the edges, as though framing the sweet, mellow and thoroughly enjoyable flavours.

An absolutely delightful beer. Almost without question the best porter I've ever sampled. It now sets the bar for all others, although I'd be more than happy to just drink this one from now on.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)