Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Reviews: 1,305 | Ratings: 3,004
3.69/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a light black/amber color with apparent carbonation. bubbly head.

smell is milky malts with hints of chocolate

the taste pairs well with smell, a flat malt and carbonated milky taste.

Mouthfeel is a thin finish with lots of flavor, the malts in this are great. Good drinkability due to it's thinness and carbonation. Simular to a dry stout.

I had higher expectations. Maybe a bad batch?

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Pours a black color with some deep brown around the edges. A nice head forms and sticks around. This leaves some pretty good lace down the glass. A very good looking porter.
S: Some malt, chocolete. Pretty thin though, not all that impressed here.
T: Lots of sweet malt with some nice chocolate and coffee flavors. A nice wood/earthy taste that I think works well here.
M/D: Kind of thin and watery for my tastes. Drinkibility is good though. Smooth and easy going.

A good quafable porter that is recommended.

Poured into a glass from the 550ml bottle

A-Dark brown almost black, tan head and little lacing.

S-I was not impressed here; wasn't bad just kind of boring.

T-A hint of chocolate, very malty, a hint of something nutty. This is nice.

MF-Thicker than other porters that I've tried, and I like it.

D-I feel that I could easily drink multiple of these, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one or two. I could see me starting out a cold night of pubbing with this, though.

Overall, this is the best porter that I've had so far, but that's a relatively small list at this point. This makes me look forward to the next porter that I can get my hands on.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

550ml from Party Source poured into a pint glass at 50-55. No dating on the bottle.

A: Pours black with a touch of red hues around the edges. Two finder light tan head. Kinda fizzy head at first then calms down to a soft 1/4 inch.

S: Soft scent of roasted malts and coffee beans. The background gives off a prune or date smell.

T/M: Very subtle in the taste department. some roasted malts but not nearly as profound as I expected. coffee notes seem to stand in the background of the plump, ripe fruit. Plume/prune and figs. Overly ripened bananas? Lower body than I had expected, probably caused by a slightly high carbonation. Finish is warming and a tad on the dry side.

D: Tasty(yet subtle), easy on the tongue. I might get this every once in awhile. It's no Ed Fit but it holds it's own. Went great with my pork loin but had no chance versus the garlic mashed potatoes.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into my pint glass from a 550 mL bottle dark brown, with ruby highlights and an attractive tan head. The aroma was mostly light malts and yeast, with some roasted malt qualities and a metallic twang.

The metallic flavour carried over into the taste, but not overly so. Lightly roasted and chocolate malt flavours mixed well with mild coffee bitterness and a hint of black licorice. Lightly carbonated but medium-bodied — not watery at all.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours with a one-finger light tan head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Black as coal. Medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Nose is roasted coffee. Starts and finishes with a roasted chocolate/coffee flavor with a slight lingering burnt coffee aftertaste. $2.32 for a 12 oz bottle from Northend Superette Manchester, NH. Really an excellent porter and can be a part of your regular inventory.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured a graham cracker brown color into my glass with a medium head that laced pretty well. Smelled of coffee, carmels and bitter chocolates. Tastes hits the tongue with a bit of malt and alcohol and a fruit surprise at the finish - I say surprise because throughout the duration of this beer I never could nail what fruit or spice I was tasting to get this effect. The body was nice and thick and I'd drink this beer again - especially with a steak and potatos kind of meal.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A dark almost black color with a minimal one finger light brown head. Mimimal glass lacing.

S: Roasted malt with hints of chocolate and dried fruits and a bit of hops.

T: Deep roasted malt flavor with chocolate, coffee and dried fruits. A bit of nuttiness comes through and a finish of faint hops. Nice complex and creamy flavor. This is not the most powerful porter you will have, but it is tasty. Falls right into the English version with more subtle than powerful hops.

M: Smooth and creamy with not a hint of alcohol. Light carbonation and overall a light mouthfeel.

D: High, these are creamy and smooth and slide down very easy. Very easy drinking and a bit lighter than some american versions.

Overall a very solid brew by Sam Smith. Some of their stuff I think is overrated (Oatmeal Stout, Pale Ale) but this one hits the mark. A very drinkable and enjoyable porter. Nice.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

A - it pours a dark inpenatrable brown, and has a nice fluffy offwhite head.

S - Starts off with aroams of chocolate, more so mocha, roasted coffee, maybe some molasses. There is a background of oxidation, but other than that, it is fantastic.

T - Starts off flat and sharp but as it warms it turns into a nice mixture of chocolate and the roasted malt character. It finishes witha a roasted note.

M - Slight carbination bite, that turns nice and smooth as it ends.

D - One of the best porters out there.

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep brown, nearly black color with a big creamy tan colored head. The head has a great level of retention, fading slowly over time to give a very nice level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is heavy of chocolate and mixed with sweet and sugary aromas of caramel and toffee as well as with other strong sweet aromas of dark fruits. A roasted malt aroma complements the sweeter aromas quite well, and in combination with the sweet, as well as a light earthy and woody smell, it creates a great nose on this brew.

Taste – The taste is drier and more bitter then the nose would have let on. It begins of a roasted dark malt flavor with hints of sweet chocolate and some caramel. These sweeter flavors begin to fade as the taste advances with the taste bittering more toward the middle, as flavors of cocoa and some coffee come to the tongue. A bitter-sour flavor comes to the tongue more toward the middle and the end with some light hop flavors coming to the taste as well. These flavors create a rather tangy but dark and roasty flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the medium to slightly above medium side in terms of creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that is on the average side. Not bad for the style as it makes it rather drinkable, but does not take away from the roasty and tangy flavors of the beer.

Overall – A rather interesting take on a porter. While I am not a huge fan of the tanginess that comes into the taste toward the middle/end, it is somewhat intriguing. Other then the tanginess I enjoyed the flavors, feel and look of the brew. It is definitely worth a try.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours extreme dark brown/black with a good frothy tan head and good lacing

S- Smokey roasted malt, with a sweet hint of chocolate, and dried fruit.

T/M- Taste is much like the smell, only more intense especially in the dried fruit...

D- Porter is not my favorite but they are starting too grown on me. This was a good beer and very drinkable. I do not know if I would drink it with a meal, but before one as an appetizer or after as dessert would be great. I might get it again. The taste was a bit off fro me so I might choose another porter before this one, but I would not pass this one up if it was offered to me.

Drank from a 12fl.oz./355ml bottle purchased at Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA
Served in a Samuel Smith pint glass

The beer poured an opaque brown/black and was topped by an enormous, tight and creamy, ecru colored head. Thick drippy rings of lacing coated the glass. Outstanding overall appearance.

The nose was balanced and pleasant. Semi-sweet with notes of treacle and caramel malts. Powdered cocoa was noticeable. Some dark chocolate as well. Slightly roasty, smoky and dry.

The flavor profile was spot-on for an English porter. Caramel and roasted malts came through on the front end. Hint of vanilla. Nutty in the center with cold, black coffee notes. The finish was incredibly dry, bitter and smoky. Very more-ish. A charred wood flavor lingered on my palate for what seemed to be an eternity.

The mouthfeel was also very British in nature. Somewhat thin and watery with a very fine and mild effervescence. Had I not known, I would have sworn that this beer was served from a cask.

Even through this beer nails the style category, I personally was not a huge fan of it. The overwhelmingly dry, bitter, roastiness was simply too much to handle, and the thin body left something to be desired.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

Drink this at room temperature! I was about to give it about a 2/5, but as it warmed way up, it improved quite a lot.

A very dark porter - black with a tan head that doesn't stick around for long. Smell was not good when cold, but as it warmed it became sublime. Wow - the aroma would fare well against my favorite dark Belgians. Sure, the dark chocolate is there in good balance with roasted coffee beans, but the great parts are the esters and the hops. The dark cherries meld perfectly with the earthy hops. Unfortunately I find the flavor to be a let-down after such an aroma. It is rather bland roasted malts with a slight acidic twinge and butteriness at the end. Not bad, but not anything special. The carbonation feels a little rough on the tongue, and the body is thin. I think I pick up some higher/fusel alcohols. I have a feeling this beer would be devastatingly good on cask, but as far as out of a bottle, it is just above average.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass - didn't have a pint glass on hand.

This was my first porter, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Poured a dark brown color with a light brown head. Head fades quickly.

The nose wasn't revealing much. Maybe it was me. I caught slight hints of chocolate/coffee. Wasn't overly impressed. The taste reflected the smell, but it was a bit easier to pick up on - again, chocolate taste here. No real bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light - I don't think you could categorize it as much more than medium bodied. Fair amount of carbonation, but it wasn't offensive or distracting. To be honest, it almost felt a bit watery to me.

All in all, I've reviewed this beer as I experienced it. From reading the other reviews, mine seems to differ a bit and I wonder if there wasn't some other variable at play. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future, but for now, this is as I experienced it. All in all a fairly solid beer, but not really thrilled in the least.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Re-review on 12-30-07: I've left my original review at the bottom. My tastes have definitely changed over the years. Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a pint glass. It was black in color with not much carb and no lacing. Had a decent brownish head that settled into a broken collar. The aroma was coffee, roasted and chocolate malts. Was kinda weak actually. The taste followed the aroma. Good malt flavor and now I actually enjoy the coffee so marks are up now. Mouthfeel was a bit watery. Overall, a good beer and recommended. I tend to love the American Porters and just like the English Porters. So 5 years later it has a better review but still won't be a big player in the rotation (Rare buy)

****Original review from 11-24-2002
Served from a 550ml bottle. Poured nicely with a rich head on a almost black colored beer. Smell had a hint of coffee which probably hurt my review as a cannot stand coffee. The taste was OK but again hurt by the coffee taste. For me, a good porter to be enjoyed every so often but won't be taking up shelf space in my fridge. (App 4, Smell 3, Taste 2.5, Mfeel 4, Drink 2.5

3.65/5  rDev -12%

No date on the bottle. Working my way through this brewery. Poured into a goblet. Beer is dark brown to black. Forms a thin broken head of small brown bubbles. Carbonation is low. Lacing is low. Looks OK.

Aroma is mostly sweet, almost molasses. Interesting. Overall its a little weak.

Beer is medium in body, some roast comes up at the end, almost as an after taste, the bitterness lingers, not much carbonation on the palate. Overall the flavors are a little weak. I think its a good beer, a drinkable beer, but I'm generally bored.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Presentation: 1pint bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown with a delightfully creamy head that lasts till the end.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee aroma with a very clean smell.

Taste: Very rich palate, with a taste of chocolate and even coffee. It also had a roasted taste to it much like the oatmeal stout.

Mouth-Feel: Very creamy and smooth

Drink-ability: One of the best porters out there. I really enjoyed this brew and highly recommend it.

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer for the second time and the purpose of review last night, quite a big bottle of it really. I poured it into an English pint glass and had to admire the visual effect of the beer. It was medium chilled. It was black with a hint of ruby color, and a much lighter head that was about 1/8 of an inch.

I smelled and smelled and smelled but I didn’t really enjoy the nose too much, even after repeated sips. My first impression was that this was full bodied but slick and watery. There was a bitter-sweet roasted quality that lingered until the slightly bitter finish.It can be likened to drinking a big watered down double espresso with sugar but only a touch of cream. You can’t help but think, “this is going to be a huge beer because it is so black, so opaque.” But sadly, its not that big or complex.

There is a redeeming quality to this beer, in my eyes though, and it lies in the drinkability. As you progress through a pint, the beer becomes more drinkable, and the sweetness and bitterness balance, much like a perfectly made cup of coffee. I would recommend this on a late fall night, to anyone who remotely likes English ale or hanging out in a pub- but if you do- this is probably already one of your favorites.

L:
-pours the darkest of brown with no light coming through and a small to medium,foamy,sand-coloured head
S:
-light body
O:
A solid Porter but Samuel Smith can do,and usually does,more exceptional stuff

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottle from AJ's Fine Foods, North Central Phoenix. 12oz bottle into a hotel room tumbler at room temperature, classy.

Pours a dark brown with a nice fluffy head of a dusty offwhite foam. Great voluminous retention and some decent lace, even for the serving vessel. Nose has some cocoa, some Sam Smith hard water/metallic notes, a creamy sweetness with even a hint of tartness. Taste has some copper, some dark fruit notes and a bit of milk chocolate and again, a shade of some tartness. Mouthfeel is medium light, with a bit of roast in the finish. Low carbonation. A nice porter, but I can't seem to get past these copper notes - it's like sucking on a penny. I've experienced this to differing degrees in Sam Smith beers, but this one (or at least this bottle) seems to have it in substantial amounts.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Pretty dark, some reddish brown at the edges, 2cm tan head forms. Aroma is malty and chocolatey with some dark cherries. The taste is sweet and almost fruity, apple cider and cherries, with a lot of chocolate undertones. Fairly light bodied for a creamy beer, easy to drink.

Verdict: a standard. A good beer, I would never hesitate to drink one in front of me, but you won't find my frige full of them.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

550 mL gold foil topped bottle.

Mostly opaque, but clear dark brown color with rub highlights with a thick, creamy light tan head that has little retention or lacing. Aroma is sweet and creamy, prominently features milk chocolate, cocoa, roast malt notes but overall mild. Medium bodied with smooth, light carbonation and a slightly bitter, cloying aftertaste that ends quickly and is slightly watery. Flavor is pleasant, balance of chocolate/malt sweetness and mild dark fruit bitterness, but overall the slightly thin mouthfeel and short finish detracts from the fullness of the flavor. I don't know, I hoped for more from this, not a bad porter but not exceptional like anticipated.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Enjoy this beer with some dark chocolate!

Very nice dark, almost opaque color. Poured with a fine head.

Take a snoot, and the sour "old ale" aroma comes through most of all. This is also a major flavor, rounded out with lingering burnt and coffee-like tastes.

I enjoyed it most paired with a few bites of dark chocolate.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Smith's pint glass.

Brown in color with a one-finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves a thin film on top of the beer. No lacing at all. The nose on this beer is fantastic. Very complex with cola, chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, and a hint of smoke. Musty yeast to round it out. Little hop aroma at all. The flavor is what really throws me off. I got a heavy sweetness with a strong diacetyl presence. The buttery off-flavor made it somewhat hard for me to drink, but not terrible. Medium bodied with long lasting flavor.

This is a perplexing beer for me, a difficult one to rate for sure. I want to smell this beer all day long, but then I get to the diacetyl and I'm not sure if I want another sip or not. Maybe I got a bad 4-pack, but I'm not positive. I can't decide if I want to drink the other two bottles I have left or cook with them.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Ultra dark brown, nearly black. large white head with lots of lacing.

S: Roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate and alcohol fill the nose. Sweet dark chocolate malts are strong in the aroma. There are very slight notes of dark fruit in the background.

T: Flat and creamy chocolate taste with heavy notes of roasted coffee beans. bittersweet upfront. Nothing very special about this brew in my opinion. Bitter wine-like aftertaste.

M: Creamy and pretty rich. Low carbonation and a medium body.

D: Easy drinker. Nothing spectacular about this one, there are way better porters out there.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)