Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Reviews: 1,308 | Ratings: 3,020
3.54/5  rDev -14.7%

A: It's a very dark brown color, appearing black with a thumb width of tan head. Decent lacing lacing.

S: Immediately I get a metallic scent. I pick up chocolate and caramel scents. The metallic scent starts to fade when the bottle is opened longer (or I just notice it less).

T: I can taste lightly roasted grains, and what tastes like coffee flavored cocoa...it's not strong enough to taste like either one individually, but tastes like a flavor you'd get out of a coffee truffle or something similar. The flavor is very sweet, and doesn't have bitterness at all.

M: The mouthfeel is about medium, but it has a light airy feel about it.

O: Overall it's a nice sweet beer without being syrupy or heavy. It would work great as a dinner beer where you don't want to have a strong overpowering flavor. It would also work well with a dessert. I would drink it again, but it's not the best porter.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours black with deep garnet highlights and excellent clarity. 3+ fingers of dark-cream colored dense foam will retain very well but leave minimal lacing. Roasted barley and black patent nose, background coffee and fuggles hops. The taste is not as sweet as you would expect, dominant burnt/roasted barley flavor leans the flavor towards the bitter end. The aftertaste is of smoked malt, black patent and drying english hops. The uncommon charred flavor seems off-balance especially for the english version of porter and tastes more like a milk/sweet stout! Fine carbonation in a medium body breaks up the rich burnt taste and the finish is mostly clean. The bitterness fades quickly and there is no residual sweetness so it manages a high drinkability.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Large brown head on a very dark delicious looking body.
S: Very sweet smelling with hints of honey, caramel, coffee, mocha and yeast.
T: Lacks some of the intricacy that I have had in other excellent porters, but definitely has a good flavor. I notice the mocha and coffee flavors really coming out the strongest.
M: Sits heavy on the palate but also very smooth.
D: It's a decent porter that I could sit and have a few of, but nothing to rave about.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

550ml gold foil topped clear bottle sans freshness dating. Pours a very dark ruby-tinged blackness with a voluminous tan head that persists forever and leaves lace sheets on the glass. Aromas are very muted and tough to pick out, even when warmed to near room temperature. Whiffs of chocolate, caramel, vanilla?, and even some smoked dark fruit are noted. Flavor is not a robust as I'd expected. Perhaps I am unfairly judging this style (the first "English Porter" I've sampled), but it just didn't strike me as that tasty. There's the usual suspects of choclate, some cocoa powder, a dash of bittering hops, and some caramel, but nothing astounding. Mouthfeel was on the thinner side as well. Drinkable, but not like other porters I've had.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown with three fingers of fluffy dark tan head that took forever to fade into thick film that left a few streaks of thick lacing down the glass.
S: Not exceptionally smelly but what is there is nutty and roasted. I get a few notes of sweet malt as well.
T: Follows the nose with a light roasted, nutty, and woody flavor. There is a brown sugar-like sweetness to it, and unfortunately a bit of strange metallic taste. The finish has notes of molasses, and the aftertaste is lightly bitter and reminds me of dark fruits.
M: Airy, frothy carbonation that puffs up on my palate before quickly tapering off in the finish. Body is medium and the mouthfeel is pillowy soft and smooth but, a touch thin.
O: A straightforward porter. Easy to drink with any occasion. Goes down smooth but it’s not earth shattering.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

Taddy Porter pours with a major fizziness; the head is audibly bubbly and lively. Head stays for a while, retaining it's bubbly and rough dignity. Solid black, quite solid and dark, even for a porter. Smells are intense; woodsy roasted malt, a clean metallic odor, sweet oakiness, lots of dark malt complexities. Surprisingly less coffee aromas than expected, however. Flavor is sweeter but still quite malty. Clean tastes of dark malts, some floral hops in the middle, finishes dry, on some bland chocolate and a little tinny. I think the water used at Smith's is adding the metal tastes here, and I don't much care for them. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and spot on.

Overall, I'm a little underwhelmed by this "world famous" porter. Good start with great looks and solid porter aromas. I feel this porter is weakened by the added metal characteristics from the well water used in brewing. I didn't hate it, but it definitely put me off a bit.

Serving type: bottle.

Pours a very dark brown color with ruby edges and a two finger foamy tan head. Aroma of oatmeal, roasted malts and hops. Lots of oatmeal and roasted malt up front, followed by chocolate, toffee and nut. Dry slightly bitter finish.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

My initial impression was not favorable, but this got considerably better the warmer it got. Black color and hearty flavor, this is a sipping beer to be sure. Carbonation seemed to be heavy for this style. I'll stick to their Oatmeal and Imperial Stouts in the future.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

2011 vintage served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown. Held up to light, hints of red light barely pierce the beer's body. Pours a thin tan lace that mostly dissipates on settle into a small swirl of tan at the center of the beer. 3.5/5

Smell: Smells like milk chocolate mixed with black licorice. Faint slightly toasted coffee aromas as well. Smells a little acidic. 4/5

Taste: Flavor is very subdued and balanced, making it hard to discern specific flavors. The subdued taste is a disappointment given the robust flavors of the Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. What flavors I can divine are cream and roasted coffee. Absolute hop vacuum. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation. 3.5/5

Overall: Very unimpressed given the beer's reputation. Skip this one and just go straight to the Samuel Smith Imperial Stout.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

The foam was a dark wheat in color, 2 finger depth, smooth and lacey. The color was a very dark cola with hints of amber in the light. The taste was deep and bobust, roasted malt a barley undertone and a crisp hops highlight. Mouthfeel - crisp, smooth, clean, full/heavy bodied but not too heavy. Drinkability - smooth and was alot crispier and a light feel than expected by the color. Nice session.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

I poured a 550mL bottle into a 20oz nonic pint glass.

There was very little head to the beer, although I'm going to attribute that to my cautious pour. I wasn't sure if the beer would fit the glass. It did, barely.

The smell was the best part. It was burnt, nutty, malty and myriad other scents I couldn't pin down.

The mouth-feel let me down. I felt the beer to be too light and watery. Although this lighter body is probably was keeps it a porter and not a stout.

I'll drink more of this someday. It won't be my goto porter, but it will be considered when my Black Boss isn't available.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Opaque black with a large mud brown head. Several sticky lace rings and solid foam retention. Looks like something I'd want to drink.

Smells of dark coffee, chocolate, light char and carmelized brown sugar.

Gentle roast malts to a sour char taste. Has that English tea-like ick to it. Husky chocolate aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a light carbonated tickle.

Overall, pretty eh.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick tan head. The aroma is decent, but a bit on the dark side. It is full of roasted and black malts; a hearty porter. The taste is good. It has an elevated abv. taste with black malt flavor and a creamy finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent porter; definately not my favorite. I just can't get into these super black porters.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Visuals are black in color with a huge light tan head that does not die down all that easily. Needless to say, it laces quite beautifully.

Aroma is malty and roasty.

Its flavor is roasty and has a peculiar taste that I can’t put my hands on. It is also well balanced by some hop bitterness. This is a unique porter.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and is carbonated well.

Easy drinking and worth a try.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: Pours a charcoal black body with the faintest ruby highlights; despite a hard pour, I didn't get much of a head but a ringlet lasted throughout; not much lacing

Smell: Coffee, tobacco, licorice and dark chocolate on the nose, but fainter than I expected

Taste: Starts out brown bready but a bitter/sour flavor takes over in the middle and fades while the sweet chocolate, coffee and tobacco elements resume their promenance; nice dark chocolate aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Judging from the other ratings, I was inclined to mark my scores up a notch but I wouldn't be honest to this bottle if I did that; worth taking another try in the future, I was put off by some of the sour elements in this sample

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

In lieu of giving a review that probably won't coincide with the majority of porter fans here, I'll just stick with my basic impressions of this beer.

First of all, this isn't my style of choice. I heard it was good and it's the first of this style of beer that I've ever had. Normally I go for anything Belgian, this was a bit of an adventure for me.

It poured black, and I mean really bloody black. Not much of a head, but it stuck around for awhile and there were some nice lace rings in the glass as I steadily knocked this bad boy down.

Taste and smell were a little foreign to me, maybe I bought some stuff that was pasturized or stored incorrectly, exposed to light, etc, whatever. It smelled and tasted good, but I really wasn't that big of a fan. I'll let other beer dudes talk about the various flavors and whatnot that came through with the beer.

Mouthfeel was again a little strange, I don't know how to quite describe it. The beer wasn't something that I immediately wanted to gulp down because of some overly bad quality, but I still had the urge to get the stuff out of my mouth and off my palate.

Drinkability was ok. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. Not something I would go buy again.

Overall, the competence and talent of the brewers is apparent in this beer but it just wasn't for me. It was obviously well thought out and well made, I guess I'm just not a fan of this type of beer. Oh well.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours with a three-finger thick, light brown colored head that leaves some lacing on the side of the glass as it falls back into the brew. The brew is an opaque, deep, dark chocolate brown color that is approaching black. Rich concentrated aromas of malt are readily evident from the get go. A mix of treacle, toffee, toasted grain, sweet chocolate and a rich concentrated malt note that is usually found in much stronger imperial stouts and is often confused with soy-sauce type flavors.

The body of this beer is a bit lighter than I expected from the assertively malty aroma. It is still rich and even a bit creamy though. Notes of concentrated malt intermingle with notes of chocolate, black coffee, toffee, and lots of rich, umami type notes. The umami type flavors almost lend a sort of saltiness to this brew, though not quite. This beer really does drink a lot richer than it's strength would suggest; a mini meal in a bottle, and I can remember back in my early beer drinking days, being shocked by the flavors packed into this brew. Even now the flavors are still quite jarring; still this is a tasty tipple and one I am happy to revisit again.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Well looky here. Looks like someone swapped one of my oatmeal stouts for a Taddy Porter.

Pours a very dark brown, though not quite opaque. About a finger and a half khaki-colored head. Moderate lacing. The smell is very faint. Chocolate, mostly, but also a hop presence. Taste is also on the light side. Flavors are dark and woody. Some fruity notes. Mouthfeel was way thin with adequate carbonation. The low ABV makes this very drinkable for a porter.

I was fairly disappointed with this. It wasn't bad, just not as robust as I had hoped after immensely enjoying both Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and Imperial stouts. I'm glad I had it, but I would take the Oatmeal Stout over this any day.

3.59/5  rDev -13.5%

My bottle of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is 550ml with gold foil on the top. And it is clear, as are all of the Samuel Smith bottles. Pours a beautiful deep brown with a thick tan head with good retention and lacing. Unfortunately, the first thing I smell upon opening the bottle is skunkiness, like every other bottle of Sam Smith's I've ever had. By letting it sit for a while, I can get some roasted caramel flavors and some hops but I can't totally get the skunkiness out of my nose. Taste is roasted and nutty with some coffee and chocolate notes as well, and if I could keep the skunkiness out of my nose would be spectacular. Finish is smokey and dry. Slightly slick mouthfeel. Would be very drinkable if ever bottle that I ever purchased wasn't skunked. It's a great porter, but unless they switch to brown bottles or I can get it straight out of the case, I won't be buying it very often.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

550ml bottle into tulip pint.

Pours a very dark brown, near black with dark ruby-hued brown edges when held to the light. A creamy, foamy light tan head.

The aroma is of lightly roasted malts, with some toffee and nuttiness.

The and some toffee and nut in the finish.

A light to medium body with average carbonation.

Fairly average in all categories, but a good beer overall nonetheless.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep black in normal light, deep red with a back light. The head is a clay brown that quickly settles. Strong, raw hop aroma, coffee and chocolate. A slight hint of skunkiness when first poured, may be just that bottle. Deep chocolate and coffee flavor up front, malt sweetness in the middle, and a light, cleansing bite at the end. Some fruity esters come out after I get used to the initial flavors. Mouthfeel is full and chewey. Drinkability is nice for a beer with this much flavor.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured very, very dark brown, not much light passed though. It had a small tan head and smelled a little of perhaps coffee? chocolate? perhaps a mix of the two. Taste was malty, coffee and a bit chocolatey but not as good as I expected from Sam Smiths as their other beers are GREAT. This was onlt good at best. You want a real Porter..go for Rogues Mocha Porter

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

The porter pours a nice deep coffee brown, with a light beige head that thins quite quickly. It offers up a rather heady almost earthy dense smell. The taste is a bit coffee and cocoa flavored initially, but with a light sweetness following. It finishes clean, with sharpness more expected with a higher ABV. The mouthfeel is rather thick and almost bready. A bit heavy to drink, unless you favor stouts, but decent and filling. A good choice for to accompany a hearty meal or with strong cheeses.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Taddy Porter is black. Very dark with the slighest hue of red. A nice creamy tan head sits atop the beer.
The smell is of chocolate and coffee with hint of fruit in the after smell.
The taste is quite the same chocolate with hints of coffee. Fruity tastes as well with a nice dry like finish.

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: black with a reddish hue and a 2 finger off white head

smell: toffee, sweet malts,

taste: toffee, malts, coffee, caramel,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, smooth,

drinkability: easy drinking porter due to how smooth it goes down.

Cheers,

The CPJ

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)