Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Reviews: 1,314 | Ratings: 3,040
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

550 mL bottle, I've had around, as much as I can possibly get it.

I love this beer, that's true. One of my favorite beers that I don't have to travel too far for.

It sits very dark brown, almost black in a pub glass, with a thin tan head that dissipates probably before I finish half of the beer. This one is definitely drinkable, I could drink 3-4 bottles of this in a night easily, and enjoy each one to the last drop. Neither the malt or the hops profile is overpowering, but both are in perfect balance. You can taste a faint coffee/dark chocolate bitterness in the beer, but also an almost hidden sweetness of caramel behind it, and it's not starch or thick, which makes it easier to taste. You can't taste much bitterness, but you get a bit of sharpness from the hops immediately with some smoky hopiness underneath.
I can't exactly pick out what the star of this brew is, and the flavors certainly aren't muddled, but I could drink this for hours and never get bored of it. I'd drink this every day of my life, and I can because it's available just a block from my house.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer was poured from a 355mL bottle into a snifter after sitting at room temperature for 30 minutes. No freshness date or battling date was visible.

Appearance: The beer pours a black with a slightly translucent quality to it. The tan head quickly recedes to a mere pittance of its former glory, or lack there of, but it’s exactly what one would expect of this style. Impressive refined carbonation and a tan, chocolaty ring of head around the glass make this beer look malty and appetizing.

Smell: Simple, beautiful aroma. The Marris Otter that is immediately present reminds me of a recent brew day of a similar style of beer, the smell of grain wafting through the house, clinging to every nook and cranny for days! Bitter chocolate nibs, a slight coffee essence, and maybe some caramel malt make a presence.

Taste: This beer gets progressively better, starting with spot-on style, staying with that theme as it works its way to the impressive flavor. Really well balanced malted grains that add a bit of an acidic bite, and bitter coffee/chocolate nib flavor.

Mouthfeel: Beautiful full mouth carbonation, smooth, creamy and moderately chewy. It quickly dries your mouth out so another drink almost immediately is necessary.

Drinkability: Awesome session beer. At 5% and with such a great, simple flavor and aroma, it’s a no brainer. This is the quintessential template for this style and Samuel Smith couldn’t have done a better job.

March 4, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from the traditional Sammy Smith bottle - at least for me - pint and change clear bottle. I poured it into the trust Baldwin-Wallace College standard pint glass.

The beer poured a very dark brown with a little more than a finger of tan head that left fine lacing down the glass. The beer's aroma had hints of coffee, chocalate and some fruitiness as well. The flavor was off the charts, and a true treat. Taddy Porter's flavor fit it's ominous, dark color, with plenty of roasted malt flavor along some chocalate. The beer finished a smokey, caramel flavor that road through the end of each sip. This is a medium bodied brew that is super drinkable, if only a little cheaper of available in greater quantites - at least here in my area. A true treat, and I imagine something of a classic.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours black with a slight brownish tinge and a very thick and creamy off white head.

Smell has strong notes of chocolate and coffee, with a sweetness present in the background.

Taste is a swirl of sweet malty coffee and chocolate with hints of bourbon and vanilla. The mouthfeel is rich and thick, with the most deliciously beautiful creaminess present.

I could seriously drink this beer all night long, it is that good. Probably the best porter I've had so far...it puts a lot of others to shame.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Wow. As black as tar in the mug revealing a deeeep ruby hue if held up to sunlight. Frothy, hearty, reddish-brown head of medium size bubbles that forms an impressive clingy cap after it settles a bit. Relatively light aroma of chocolate and dates. Complex on the palette; coffee, dark chocolate, bread, and toasted malts. Surprisingly light body for a beer so dark but this is a good thing. Nice mouthfeel and super smooth. The coffee finish just goes on and on. Impressive.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a thick brown/black with a nice tan head. The froth of the head clings to the glass all the way down. Very smooth beer with all sorts of different flavors coming through. Chocolates,figs,coffee,and berries are just to name a few. It is low on carbonation and very filling. Refreshing and crisp on the palate, leaves it begging for more. Very easy do drink and if you get hooked you can drink it all night.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Pour: Dark brown like a maple syrup color with a light beige colored head
Smell: Roasted, almost burnt coffee aroma with light spices and chocolate
Taste: Roasted malt with coffee and chocolate flavors abundant. Extremely smooth.
An excellent porter. Highly recommend to all.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

I was anxious to try to Taddy Porter. It may sound odd but since I visited England in the early 80's and since I learned that my ancestors are from Yorkshire, I really feel an affinity for most things Yorkshire. And so I continued my quest for knowledge.

The Taddy Porter poured a DARK brown, nearly black. No light will penetrate this beer! The head was moderately frothy and only slightly dissipated in the couple of minutes I waited to taste.

The aroma was relatively mild. I could smell the malt, which was a good sign. I was intrigued, which is exactly what I look for when I smell my beer.

Sometimes, I wonder if the sight of a beer in glass creates a bias when I taste. I am not aware of one but I thought I’d taste this beer with my eyes closed. Sure, I’d seen the beer already but hey, I never pass up an opportunity to make a fool of myself.

Upon first taste of the dark liquid, (I assumed it was dark, I had my eyes closed) I noticed a pronounced sweet molasses/malt flavor. The beer was slightly dry with very good carbonation. This helps the drinkability for me as it tickles the tongue. Hey...I love the tongue tickling!

The beer did not weigh heavy, which surprised me, but I was looking for a more overt taste of alcohol. That’s not a criticism, really, because the flavor was good.

Overall, this is a very good porter. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to close their eyes and drift away to Northern England.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

A fantastic beer that makes me wish I had bought more. Poured and drank from a standard beer mug.

A- Great pour, thick tan head with decent lacing on the glass. almost completely opaque with a slight maroon glow through it.

S- Rich and dark, Can almost imagine a charred oak barrel aging away.

T- As good as it smells and looks. Oak aged flavors give way to a hint of chocolate and roasted barley, yet end on a fairly light note.

M- Not as thick as I had expected with the pour. Definitely was not lacking in carbonation though, maybe a little too much.

D- Seemed the more I drank of this one the more I wished it was a bottomless glass. Sam Smith got it right with this one.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

550ml Bottle to Tulip Pokal Glass.

Appearance- Deep dark brown color with frothy soapy thick "jamocha" head!

Just a bueatiful scent that makes my mouth water ever time.
Cacao roasted malt with a hint of salt and fig notes that blend perfectly bitter hops that just pop at the end of a long sniff! (AWW Famous indeed.)
Enough foreplay. Mouth feel, from tip to the back of my tongue is complex with light to medium carbonation that makes a smooth smooth intoxcatiy sliky brew!

This porter is one my favorites, Hands Down.
-Enjoy!

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a tan head. Lacing all over.

S: Nutty bread and rye. Earthy.

T: Earthy malts, nuts, caramel, big toffee notes, chocolate definitely, and some rye bread. Great!

M: Light to medium and that nice airyness that makes this porter such a classic.

O: Complex and delicious. This is what I would call a true porter. It's sweet and nutty and has plenty of creaminess to fill you up!

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: An agressive pour from bottle to beer-clean Imperial pint glass resulted in a two finger collar of quality tan foam. Hints of excellent lacing as the head begins to slowly dissipate. The brew is jet-black and my mouth was agape upon discovering that this beer is packaged in clear glass!!

Aroma: Very earthy nose with hints of chocolate (brownie mix). The aroma of this beer leaves the taster longing for a visit to the much- -revered English brewery.

Taste: Calling the taste complex is like referring to sex as reproduction. The taste is nutty, grassy, and heavy with malt. The hop notes are muted, yet well-balanced...happy to be singing harmony with the stellar malts.

Mouthfeel: Balance is the key...and this quality porter is balanced. The long finish leaves a delicate sweet coating on the lips and fore-tongue.

Drinkability: I could do this one all day, all night, and all day tomorrow.

Seldom do I rave...I can only hope my ancestors has access to beer this good!!!

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A-Deep rich brown near black even against direct light.

S-Complex malt, slight alcohol as well as vinilla and some degree of nuttyness

T%M-Just like the nose suggest extremely complex everything comes through from the nose. Very well balanced my only complaint was it seemed a little thin in the body.

D-I'll come back to this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Deep mahogany with ruby edges. Large creamy beige head. Good retention and little lacing left.

S - Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and a hint of tobacco.

T - Roasted malt and chocolate and coffee make up most of the taste. More chocolate than coffee. Also with these is some caramel, butterscotch, and burnt sugar/molasses. Slightly sweet and slightly bitter porter.

M - Medium body with low carbonation. Very smooth and creamy despite being somewhat thin. Would like it to be a bit fuller.

D - Really good smooth and easy to drink. Lovely flavors that are well balanced. Lots of good porter flavors.

Notes: Very nice porter with balanced and nice flavors. Not too bitter and not too sweet. Smooth and nice body, but I would like it to be a bit fuller.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Beautiful porter/stout appearance.

Smell - Superb malty, chocolatey delight.

Taste - ditto to smell, with a slight hop crisp in the finish

Mouthfeel - perfect for the style

Overall - Really, for an English Porter, this is fabulous beer. No tinkering necessary with craft.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

This is probably the best porter I've yet sampled... Samuel Smith is probably one of my favorite breweries, and this beer clearly justifies my strong liking of the company... pours a pitch-black, opaque color with a decent tan head... smell is of burnt chocolate and espresso... taste is full of cocoa, dark coffee, chocolate, and slight malts... an excellent porter, goes down smooth with no hints of bitterness... semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor lingers on the palate and is very sweet and satisfying... would go great with anything sweet, especially chocolate... very crisp, clear flavor... awesome sample... definitely recommended...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

this one comes in a brown bottle?

this guy is a superdark brown. somewhere between the nutbrown and oatmeal. above it sits a khaki head, which sits comfortably and not looking like it's going anywhere. not quite as tightly bubbled as the nut brown

if brown had a smell this would be it. sharp mocha; dry, bitter chocolate. bready

just as with the nut brown the flavor features more hops than the aroma suggests. robust, dry malty flavors. there's a creaminess to it that carries well the small amount of sweetness

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: A classic looking front label that is simple yet still eye-catching with a classic color scheme. Front label gives a bit of brewery info. Back label gives web info, a bit of brewery info, a nice description of the beer, and a nice back story on the beer. Neck and cap are gold foil wrapped. Bottle has “Samuel Smith” and “Bottled at Yorkshires Oldest Brewery est. 1758” embossed at the top and bottle of the bottle respectively.

Appearance: An aggressive pour from its 550ml Victorian Pint Bottle into a 16oz English Pint glass led to a thick and creamy 3 finger dark tan head atop a deep dark brown coffee colored beer. Head retention was a nice 3min 41sec before fading to a thick creamy coating and thick ring that resulted in nice lacing.

Smell/Aroma: Smell is of deep roasted coffee malts with nice hints of chocolate and molasses. Simple yet outstanding!

Flavor/Taste: Taste on the front-end is of roast chocolate malts with a bit of molasses/brown sugar sweetness. Mid-point is dominated by a rich, deep fresh brewed roasted coffee bitterness with a slightly sweet molasses flavor still lingering. Back-end is of roast coffee and a dark fruit, possibly fig, flavor that provides excellent balance. Roasty aftertaste.

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Full-bodied, thick, creamy, velvety, and smooth mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. This is a fairly heavy beer that is surprisingly drinkable with a nice light ABV and excellent flavors.

Overall/Comments: Simply put, this is a great beer and really a must try. I find nothing to critique this beer on, its near perfect, IMO. One of the better porters I have ever had! Consumed 1/14/16. Classified as an English Porter @ 5% ABV.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Somehow I found myself craving this one after a series of mediocre beers at GOTV. Let's try this one in the 100 degree heat!

Here it pours it looks like engine oil going into my glass. Real Viscous! Nice off white head very thin, but clinging on the way down.

Wow, it smells like crazy caramel corn and butter? Real strange. But there is some floral hops in there too. And toffee.

Amazing taste! This one is super balanced and fun. Even thirst quenching in a weird way. This one is very drinkable and complex at the same time.

Real pure silk and velvet mouthfeel.

Overall, this is one great beer and definitely would have again and again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

550ml bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A: Pours a deep brown with hues of garnet. Clarity is great. Tan head is pillowy and creamy. Great retention, uneven rings of lacing. Looks great in the glass.

S: Rich caramel, roasted barley, espresso, and mild toffee notes. Darkfruit scents of currant and blackberry. Hint of chocolate covered cherries. Blackstrap molasses. Sweet on the nose overall, though there is just the slightest twang of acidic tartness in the background. The nose is excellent, and very complex. I took my time and let it open up, and my patience was rewarded.

T: Caramel and toffee at the outset. Mild roasted notes of wood and a touch of smoke. Bold tastes of roasted barley and espresso unfold on the mid-palate. Plum, blackberry, and currant undertones. Juicy plum comes to the forefront for an instant. Yeasty flavors of bread patted with flour. Faint suggestion of garden herbs from the hops, maybe tobacco leaf too. Cocoa and molasses. Hint of acidity hits to tip of the tongue ever so subtly. The finish is dry and mellow, but complex and lingering. Caramel, toffee, soft charcoal notes, and a light fruitiness recede slowly and softly.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied. Very creamy and silky in the mouth. Low carbonation, very slight astringency. Insanely smooth.

O: This is the English porter against which all others must be measured. One of the most complex beers I've had to date; a new flavor presents itself with each sip. It really doesn't get much better than this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Even though I am not even close to being a real beer advocate yet, I would have to say this is the best beer I have tried so far. Tasted great, smelled great, and felt great. I have drinkin this a few more times since I treid it and I always get the same impression.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

A - this porter pours a very dark bornw, but it doesnt seem truly black, with a thick foamy 2 finger espresso colored head, too dark to note carbonation

S - a mellow sweetness hits the nose first, with a vanill/toffee like characteristic, both are well blended into the quality hop and malt profiles, oh, and at the end of the whiff, some slight coffee hints as well

T - wow, this is amazing, what a great porter, the sweetness is there and poignant but not overpowering, very mellow and masterfully blended into the hop/malt beery goodness what an amazing flavor, the vanill/toffee flavor is so warming and smooth, what a great wintry beer, even the girlfriend enjoyed (not just tolerated it) which speaks volumes

M&D - what can i say, a masterfully crafted porter, smooth, sweet, slightly bitter, all in one, easily the best porter of this relatively unexplored style (by me) i have ever had

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

bottle into sam smith pint glass

a very heady beer, just like that oatmeal stout I just had. the head is a great colour, like a beige or desert tan, maybe a light chocolate milk colour. it is incredibly creamy and delicious. the body is a deep ruby brown, and lets light barely through the middle. the nose is fine for a porter, could have more coffee and malts, and could be stronger. the taste, however, is exceptional. deep dark roasted malts, traces of coffee and caramel, a touch of what I would call booze, something slightly sharp, and a miniscule tinge of sour. the feel is quite thin, even with the big carbonation. but this, however, coupled with the taste makes the brew incredibly drinkable and a great session beer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured in samuel smith pint glass

A: Deep deep brown with a tan that is about 3 fingers this one looks tasty.

S: I smell it form a foot away, lots of roasted malts, with hops in the nose as well.

T: so light for how it looks, the taste threw me off I was expecting something bigger, roasty and acidic to start with the hops to round out the beers finish melding perfect with the acidic qualities that are there form the start, this is perfectly balanced.

M: This is so light, the carbonation is good, it leaves a dry roastyness on the pallet. it is refreshing as any other beer I have. balanced out, and just right on point.

D: superior drinkability, I could session these or I could have one and done. This is a fine example of a porter this is done right. oh so good.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep mahogany with a tan lingering head. Aroma of vanilla and nuts with a hint of cocoa. Flavour is chocolatey with a smooth nuttiness. Mid palate I sense some vanilla and cocoa. Finish is slightly bitter and roasty

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)