Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Reviews: 1,308 | Ratings: 3,020
4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Very dark brown, slightly lighter at the bottom of the glass. Medium-sized head speckled with clusters of bubbles.

Smell: Smells sweet, with no alcohol aroma, coffee and caramel.

Taste: Very creamy, smooth feel with an excellent, almost chewy taste. Sweet up front, chocolate, cofee, some caramel, with a malty aftertaste and a touch of hops. A hint of smoke (?) as this brew warms up.

Drinkability: Fearsome. The smooth, creamy mouthfeel combined with the excellent taste could prove lethal; after a few of these, the 5.0% will sneak up.

Overall: Simple awesome. This definitely beats out the Anchor Porter, my previous favorite. A variety of flavors and an excellent mouthfeel make this one of my all time favorite beers, I actually prefer it to the Imperial Stout. Seek this one out.

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

Near black in color, with a large puffy tan head and good lacing. smell is burnt malt and chocolate/butterscotch and some alchohol. taste is similar...malty, with some chocolate, butterscotch and brown sugar tastes. There is some bitterness - I assume it comes from black malts, but hops are also distinguishable...but regardless of what causes it, the bitterness is very overshadowed by the malty brown sugar/chocolate flavors. mouthfeel is right... full but not rich. A good beer, although quite expensive.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

I'm guessing I'm just not a fan of the "style," but compared to Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout this is just way off. Flavor and aroma are minimal- rather fruity with some 'porter-y' malts but overall a strange salty, apple-y taste. How many nouns can I adjectify by adding an additional syllable? About as many as there are "porters" superiour (note the U) to this one. If it were cheaper it might make a decent session.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this very dark beer in a pilsner glass... Nice creamy two finger head to go with nice dark color.
Smell/Taste: Aroma was that of dark whipped chocolate, almost like fondue and the taste to go with it. Loved that creamy feel with slight sweet taste at the end.
Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Very balanced flavors with no overpowering aftertaste. Could have one after another.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

When i asked for porter recommendations, the salesperson pointed at this bottle and told me that i needed to try it if i hadn't already. I don't usually spend this much for one bottle, but i picked it up anyway.

The beer poured a near black with an ample light brown head that was very persistent. The smell had a pleasant aromas of chocolate and coffee, so by now i was really looking forward to tasting it. The taste definitely came through - chocolate and coffee, with a hint of toffee as well, but very balanced and quite pleasant. The mouth feel showed a medium body that wasn't overpowered by the carbonation.

Overall, i must say that this was a much better than average beer. It's not so pricey that i can't have it every once in a while, for which i am grateful. I am definitely looking forward to my next bottle of Taddy Porter.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a deep dark brown almost black with a big tan head. Smells of caramel, chocolate and spicy. (maybe clove?) The smell is great. There are caramel and slight spice taste and small sweetness to this brew. The mouthfeel is much ligther than anticipated and quite unlike its heavy scent. This is a very smooth beer and very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

A - pours a three finger head into a fluted glass after a hard pour. Light brown, frothy head diminishes mostly, but does leave some lacing on the ay down.

S - aroma is of deeply roasted malts, molassess and maybe a bit of chicory. Then there is that distinctive Sam Smith aroma that pervades all their beers that I have sampled. Can't quite name it, but it is signature.

T - initial flavor is roasted sweetness, then transfers to lightly bitter note, then a super long, mildly acidic finish, which is almost estery, but you know is not alcoholic due to the ABV.

M - the esters in it, however, make it a crisp, biting mouthfeel that changes how it affects your palate throughout the sample. Make sure you roll this one around to get the full effect.

D - due to the crispness, and the moderate dryness to this, I think it is a great session beer.

Overall, I think this is the best on style of the SS's I have had, and also is my favorite.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

It has always puzzled me why Sam Smith's puts some of their best beers in clear bottles... I mean, you can see the color, which is cool looking, but is it worth the risk of skunking? Hmmm.... anyway.

The Beer pours a deep deep dark brown, 'rich' is the only word I can use to describe the color, a rich, earthy natural looking color to the brew.. some highlights. It looks like you could paint with it, very thick.

The aroma is caramel, big bold caramel with a tangy finish to the nose,

The taste is great.... big bold caramel comes right off, lightly balanced with a tinge of bitter coffee-chocolate flavors, finishing with a crisp tangy almost- apple-like flavor. Its so well balanced, it seems over-simplified, but that really is the beauty of Sam Smith.... beautiful simplicity... very very drinkable, much lighter than it looks... a classic beer for any situation.

I love this beer!
Generally speaking - I love all of Sam Smith's brews...
Mildly sweet with a tinge of bitterness on the finish.
Perfect for autumn evenings - when the leaves are flying and the temps begin to dip...

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep black in normal light, deep red with a back light. The head is a clay brown that quickly settles. Strong, raw hop aroma, coffee and chocolate. A slight hint of skunkiness when first poured, may be just that bottle. Deep chocolate and coffee flavor up front, malt sweetness in the middle, and a light, cleansing bite at the end. Some fruity esters come out after I get used to the initial flavors. Mouthfeel is full and chewey. Drinkability is nice for a beer with this much flavor.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tan head over an encouragingly dark beer. It has one of the finest smells from a porter: dark fruits, a hint of chocolate, smokiness, and dark malts.

Licking some of the head, it actually tastes like smoke. I've never tasted anything like it, and tasting the body of the reveals expected chocolate and malt, with much more smokiness than I would have expected. Other reviewers don't report this very much, but I'm not so fond of the smoke element of the taste.

Fabulously creamy though, and quite drinkable at 5%.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance = opaque black with mahogony highlights. Thick tan head, low carbonation.

Smell = mocha notes (coffee & chocolate)

Taste = The mocha follows thru from the aroma, roasted malt with a chocolate flavor, a little bit of 'burnt toast/dark roasted coffee' flavor. Hops in balance. Medium creamy mouthfeel.

Great tasting porter, I wish I had a piece of Chocolate cake to go with it.

2.91/5  rDev -29.9%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Samuel Smith beers always make me cringe when I see the clear bottles on the shelf – they seem like they’d do such a good job at brewing, but I have had more than my fair share of skunked SS brews in the past. Still, Taddy gets very good reviews; let’s see if the darker brew is less susceptible to the light and other elements.

APPEARANCE: (This is the first review where I could rate the appearance without popping the cap, but I’ll resist…) Black, with only the faintest hint of mahogany coming through. SERIOUS head action with really good staying power. Almost no lacing.

AROMA: Gentle mix of black and chocolate malt, with a generous dash of bottlecap. Seems like there’s a little oxidation here; whether it’s due to the light, age, or handling will remain a mystery. Certainly not much of the telltale “skunk” scent, but then the hops are very low in the first place. Getting a touch of diacetyl as well.

FLAVOR: The aspect of SS beers that seems to be their common bond is the yeast, and its effects are noticeable here – somehow, even though it’s been years, my taste buds are quietly saying, “Oh, yeah – I remember this”. It’s sort of a gentle metallic flavor that helps to impart a very dry finish. Roasted malt flavor is sorta weak, actually, but very smooth. And, in the words of Austin Powers, it’s “a bit nutty.”

MOUTHFEEL: Average weight, high carbonation, move along folks, nothing to see here.

DRINKABILITY: At 5% ABV it’s pretty close to session status, but I think I’d prefer other porters to drink more than one of.

OVERALL COMMENTS: Boy, I hope I get the chance to taste this fresh one day – I think I’d have a much higher opinion of it. As it is, I’m disappointed.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Mmmm…..Taddy Porter. It pours a sinister ruby, black. The head looks great; it is thick, frothy, and light brown in color. Smells like dark chocolate, coffee, and a hint of caramel and has good lacing.

This wonderful beer tastes just like it should. First off the bat, it tastes creamy and smooth. It has a mellow roasted taste with a trace of molasses. It finishes with an allusion of figs and a very subtle hint of alcohol (which is odd, considering that the abv is about 5%). Smooth and mellow. The carbonation is just right.

Slightly expensive, but worth every penny. I really like this one allot. Sam Smith has hit a homerun again!

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Last beer of 2009 more notes on my drive. Heres We Goes.

Appearance- Brownish black with reddish tones creamy tan head floats on top of with great retention. Very prominent lacing.

Smell- Roasted Malt, Coffee, and slight chocolate.

Taste- This beer is VERY ROASTY! It has almost this smokey / Charcoal oak barrel trait to it. It packs a very roasty punch which really makes the drinker pace themself.

Mouthfeel- Low carbonation with a medium to medium high body. It is very smooth and pleasant on the pallete. I like to let the sip stay in mouth to allow the beer to show me it's true nature and this beer does feel good all the way through.

Drinkability- This beer is not the most drinkable porter I have come across. I think that has to do with it's super roasty taste. Don't get me wrong it is a great beer but my tongue tends to tire of intense smokey/roasty traits in beer after 2 or 3 beers.

Overall- One of the most unique tasting beers I have reviewed to date. It is definitly something that you really have to try for yourself to fully appreciate.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into imperial pint glass. Deep dark brown in color with a decent tan head.
Aroma of chocolate was noticeable right away, also some coffee in there too.

Medium bodied with a nice malt and milk chocolate taste. Can also get some nice roasted coffee flavors.

Really loved this beer! I need to taste more Porters for comparison, but it was very complex and well balanced. Maybe poured it too cold, but as it warmed the flavors opened up.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a pint bottle
L: Pitch black, blocks out the light, thin caramel head

S: Toasty malt and molasses with dark fruit and some raisin

T: Same as the smell, but well balanced.

F: a bit thin, but with the proper amount of carbonation to even things out. This is either an issue for some, or a benefit... hard to judge.

Overall: One of the best porters I've had. This one is a dark fruit note more than a coffee/chocolate note on the end... but it's too well done to not like it either way.

Pours black as night with 3 fingers of tan head.

Smell is cocoa powder, faint spicy hops, and a little smoke.

Sweet cocoa/coffee taste up front, with a nice crisp hop finish. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is good, and at 5% alcohol, the drinkability is good for a rather rich beer.

Very enjoyable. Will come back to this one.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Dark black with brown and red hue. Solid tan head, thick lacing.

Dominant sugary chocolate nose and dark fruits.

Creaammmy full body, with prunes and blackberries, plenty of chocolate, molasses, and hint of lightly roasted coffee. Smooth and sweet finish, carbonation is moderate...wicked tasty.

Incredible porter with tons of flavour. Robust, delicious, and would like to see more often.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, dark mahogany brown, about as dark brown as you can get before becoming black. You won't know the bottle's clear until you pour it. Remarkable foamy tan head that lasts a good long while. This beer looks so good I almost feel bad for drinking it. Great roasty aroma of coffee and dark chocolate. The flavor has all that, with the roasted malt being full but not burnt or astringent. Finishes with a quick sweetness followed by a lasting black coffee bitterness. Really wonderful drinking, and worth the price. This is one beer that fully lives up to its hype and history.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

Aroma
Roasted malt to the front, some caramel or chocolate in the scent. Signature scent that comes from SS yeast is present

Mouthfeel
Lower carbonation on the palette, allows the flavors to come through a bit more clearly. Some creaminess but not a terribly heavy beer.

Appearance
Pours almost black in a new belgium goblet. Nice creamy off white head which dissipates slowly and laces well.

Taste
Definite maltiness, maybe a unsweetened cocoa flavor. On finish I get a hint of chocolate and a nice bitter finish. Maybe twang of copperiness at the end.

Drinkability
Pretty drinkable, although this is not my favorite of the SS lineup. I think you could session this if need be, but I'd trade for the pale ale anytime.

Overall
It's a good beer but just not the best porter I've had. Lacks the malty pop I kind of expected and the off twang detracts a bit. One of my favorite breweries, but not their best beer in my opinion.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: As expected. A dark beer, a few shades fair of black, sitting in the very dark brown area of the beer spectrum, with brownish-maroon highlights in the light. A medium head of tan.

Smell: Mmm...what a great, full-bodied smell. Chewy caramel and dark chocolate, fresh coffee beans, honey suckle, black liquorice in a candy shop, and anise seeds. There almost seems to be a behind-the-scenes sour garbage smell in there. It's strangely interesting. As horrible as that sounds, I don't know how else to describe it. I wish there was a pleasant way to describe it, because it isn't negative. Yup, there it is again. A sour tone that is somehow not bad.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A malty, coffee taste is the most obvious to come forward. A layered taste is evident. It almost seems as though part of the flavor is an intended stale layer underneath the maltiness. A straight-faced coffee aftertaste follows. The malty creaminess is present throughout. Wow, I was intending to finish this review quickly so I could just sit here and enjoy the last of it. The taste is so interesting that I only have about three centimeters left in the glass. I can't stop taking sips. After the original sip, I felt that the smell overpowered the actual flavor. However, the taste seems to develop as the beer progresses, and it is very hard to pinpoint. Different elements become apparent, and in different amounts. What an interesting porter.

Drinkability: This is a definitely fun porter to drink. Every sip keeps me redefining what I decided upon after the last sip. The smell and taste seem to contradict each other at times, and keep me thinking. Twelve ounces seemed to evaporate in a crazy amount of time. I would have enjoyed having maybe three of these right now, in order to really get some time with this one. For some reason, it seems hard to put my finger on the experience, but it is definitely enjoyable and repeatable.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Was a bit underwhelmed, but may be adjusting to the difference between English Porter and American Porter. Didn't detect much flavor or complexity in the taste and left not much of a mouthfeel.

3.61/5  rDev -13%

Poured into a pint glass from a 355ml bottle, poured a pitch black color with a very dark tan, two finger head.
Smells like roasted dark malts with a faint hint of chocolate.
This beer has a medium mouthfeel with loads of roasted malt flavors with more carbonation then I would expect for a porter. Not a bad porter, but I don't agree with the price.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

**edit finally tried this again and it would appear my first bottle was indeed a bad bottle.

Appearance - Dark nice looking tan/brownish head.

Smell - roasted malts, and chocolatey smell.

Taste - slight roasted flavor, I felt like it had pretty subtle flavors, but still good overall.

Mouthfeel/Drink - it did have a decent mouthfeel and creaminess too it.

Decent beer despite my first bottle being ruined. It is very drinkable and quite enjoyable. After I drank about half the bottle I finished the rest while eating some good ham, I found the combo quite delicious.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)