Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Reviews: 1,314 | Ratings: 3,040
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, dark mahogany brown, about as dark brown as you can get before becoming black. You won't know the bottle's clear until you pour it. Remarkable foamy tan head that lasts a good long while. This beer looks so good I almost feel bad for drinking it. Great roasty aroma of coffee and dark chocolate. The flavor has all that, with the roasted malt being full but not burnt or astringent. Finishes with a quick sweetness followed by a lasting black coffee bitterness. Really wonderful drinking, and worth the price. This is one beer that fully lives up to its hype and history.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

Aroma
Roasted malt to the front, some caramel or chocolate in the scent. Signature scent that comes from SS yeast is present

Mouthfeel
Lower carbonation on the palette, allows the flavors to come through a bit more clearly. Some creaminess but not a terribly heavy beer.

Appearance
Pours almost black in a new belgium goblet. Nice creamy off white head which dissipates slowly and laces well.

Taste
Definite maltiness, maybe a unsweetened cocoa flavor. On finish I get a hint of chocolate and a nice bitter finish. Maybe twang of copperiness at the end.

Drinkability
Pretty drinkable, although this is not my favorite of the SS lineup. I think you could session this if need be, but I'd trade for the pale ale anytime.

Overall
It's a good beer but just not the best porter I've had. Lacks the malty pop I kind of expected and the off twang detracts a bit. One of my favorite breweries, but not their best beer in my opinion.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: As expected. A dark beer, a few shades fair of black, sitting in the very dark brown area of the beer spectrum, with brownish-maroon highlights in the light. A medium head of tan.

Smell: Mmm...what a great, full-bodied smell. Chewy caramel and dark chocolate, fresh coffee beans, honey suckle, black liquorice in a candy shop, and anise seeds. There almost seems to be a behind-the-scenes sour garbage smell in there. It's strangely interesting. As horrible as that sounds, I don't know how else to describe it. I wish there was a pleasant way to describe it, because it isn't negative. Yup, there it is again. A sour tone that is somehow not bad.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A malty, coffee taste is the most obvious to come forward. A layered taste is evident. It almost seems as though part of the flavor is an intended stale layer underneath the maltiness. A straight-faced coffee aftertaste follows. The malty creaminess is present throughout. Wow, I was intending to finish this review quickly so I could just sit here and enjoy the last of it. The taste is so interesting that I only have about three centimeters left in the glass. I can't stop taking sips. After the original sip, I felt that the smell overpowered the actual flavor. However, the taste seems to develop as the beer progresses, and it is very hard to pinpoint. Different elements become apparent, and in different amounts. What an interesting porter.

Drinkability: This is a definitely fun porter to drink. Every sip keeps me redefining what I decided upon after the last sip. The smell and taste seem to contradict each other at times, and keep me thinking. Twelve ounces seemed to evaporate in a crazy amount of time. I would have enjoyed having maybe three of these right now, in order to really get some time with this one. For some reason, it seems hard to put my finger on the experience, but it is definitely enjoyable and repeatable.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Was a bit underwhelmed, but may be adjusting to the difference between English Porter and American Porter. Didn't detect much flavor or complexity in the taste and left not much of a mouthfeel.

3.61/5  rDev -13%

Poured into a pint glass from a 355ml bottle, poured a pitch black color with a very dark tan, two finger head.
Smells like roasted dark malts with a faint hint of chocolate.
This beer has a medium mouthfeel with loads of roasted malt flavors with more carbonation then I would expect for a porter. Not a bad porter, but I don't agree with the price.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

**edit finally tried this again and it would appear my first bottle was indeed a bad bottle.

Appearance - Dark nice looking tan/brownish head.

Smell - roasted malts, and chocolatey smell.

Taste - slight roasted flavor, I felt like it had pretty subtle flavors, but still good overall.

Mouthfeel/Drink - it did have a decent mouthfeel and creaminess too it.

Decent beer despite my first bottle being ruined. It is very drinkable and quite enjoyable. After I drank about half the bottle I finished the rest while eating some good ham, I found the combo quite delicious.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Pitch black pour into a pint glass, no head. Small tan ringlet, with a little bit of lacing.

S - Lots of roasty malts in this one, with coffee and black licorice to back it up. Sort of burnt smelling. A very full-bodied aroma. Slight alcohol.

T - Very bitter-sweet, like dark chocolate. Some cocoa in the back, but licorice is the stronger flavor in the mix. I like the balance between bitter and sweet here, with the bitter easily being stronger, but sweet still making its presence known. Beautifully balanced.

M - Minimal carbonation, very smooth yet somewhat dry finish. Drinks almost like coffee.

O - Quite easily the best porter I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Each different aspect of this beer complements the next so well. It's a beautiful thing.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was the first of the Samuel Smith beers I tried. Oatmeal Stout is likely to follow.

Look: A very dark beer with a tan head. Head is slightly bubbly and dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Chocolate, dried fruit, coffee, cream

Taste: Dark chocolate, dried fruit, cream, slight metallic.

Feel: Smooth, creamy.

Overall: Another beer I enjoy. The slightly fruity flavor was unexpected but welcome, and the metallic is more of an afterthought than a gripe. A solid brew I recommend you try.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

A = Dark brown with slight amber edges. One finger dark tan head that dissipated quickly. Minimal lacing.

S = Relatively simple smells of roasted malts and hints of coffee.

T = Rich roasted malts dominate throughout. Hints of coffee. A subtle sweetness lies in the back. A bit of tartness or acidity reveals toward the finish and lingers. Very tasty.

M = A little thin. Appropriate carbonation. Just wish it were a little thicker on the palate.

D = Highly drinkable porter. Low abv and pleasant taste make this the ideal session porter.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Presentation: 1pint bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown with a delightfully creamy head that lasts till the end.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee aroma with a very clean smell.

Taste: Very rich palate, with a taste of chocolate and even coffee. It also had a roasted taste to it much like the oatmeal stout.

Mouth-Feel: Very creamy and smooth

Drink-ability: One of the best porters out there. I really enjoyed this brew and highly recommend it.

Nice head showing nice sustain with a chocolate tan fluffy head. Smell is notes of coffee but not too overpowering. taste is good of coffee and chocolate with an easy mouthfeel, run down smoothly. Aftertaste is a little bitter but not much to notice.

Another great beer from samuel smith, one of the better porters I have have.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Tastes of traditional steel-works with a hint of days gone by. The old gentleman come in from a brisk spring day and ordering a pint of lovely Porter. I'm not old or a gentleman, go figure.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

I was told that this one was well worth it. I'm a big fan of the dark stuff but I was trying to venture over to the lighter side of things for warmer weather. But I could not pass up this one - a calling to my true nature. Here's how things lined out...

A: A vigorous pouring produced a thick tan head that took a while to dissipate - but never fully - leaving a thin layer and lacing throughout the experience. Black/dark brown liquid with slight redness to it prevents light from passing through.

S: Fresh from the fridge this just seemed like a standard but good porter. Letting it warm up to the proper temp opened it up. Of course there is the chocolate/coffee aromas. But there is much more in there. Dark fruits, a little citrus, a touch of smoke, vanilla.

T: This did not let me down. The taste follows the nose and comes off as an outstanding, solid porter.

M: I would have to say this is a medium body. Any heaver and it would come off as a stout. Nothing harsh about this - very easy going down.

D: Very drinkable. A tip of the hat to the Beer Philosopher for pointing this one out. I love it!!

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A - Deep brown, almost black, with a nice three finger tan head that recedes slowly and leaves a little bit of lace.

S - To me, it smelled a bit like irish cream: coffee, chocolate, and maybe a tiny hint of alcohol. A pretty inviting nose for sure.

T&M - Coffee, a hint of roasted malts, and carbonation start off the flavor. Finishes with hints of coffee and chocolate. Almost no bitterness. Low carbonation, which is good, as the flavors aren't that bold - the low carbonation allows them to stand out. The low carb also allows the creamy, smooth mouthfeel to be on display - really love the mouthfeel. Medium bodied. Only knock is that the flavors are a tad weak, but it's definitely a crisp and refreshing porter.

D - The crisp flavor profile and low abv make for a very sessionable porter. Definitely gonna pick some more of this up

A deep black coloured beer, with a tan head, bareley some red highlights held to a light.
Smell is definetly roasty, i wanna say vanilla and liqourice, but can't quite put my finger on it, a little burned and a little alcohol there too, but not too much.
the taste brings out the vanilla and liqurice more clearly. A bit of roasty bitterness there aswell. There is a thick and almost a little creamy body, and breathing out through the nose, it burns a little bit of alcohol there.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

550mL bottle

Smell is sweet of chocolate, molasses, fig, and sweet malts. There is a slightly tart smell present as well. This is definitely a Samuel Smith beer. Mouthfeel is a bit light, but very creamy and smooth. The smoothness remains after you swallow, coating the tongue.

Taste is sweet, with the flavors mirroring the smells. Some smoky flavor and some dryness from the hops comes through in the aftertaste. There is also a hint of a sour towards the end. I can't place it, but it somehow fits the beer. As it warms a bit, more sweet flavors reveal themselve, and a bit of nuttiness comes out. This is one tasty and complex beer. I'm glad I have 18+ oz. of enjoyment in this one.

Overall, this is basically what I expected coming into it. That's not to say it is mundane or anything like that. Samuel Smith just has a certain feel to the beers, and this fits in, while differentiating itself from its other styles. It is an easy drinking porter, and one to be savored. Price is my only limiting factor, but even at a high price, I'll still buy. Its that good.

3.9/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great, deep brown color with gorgeous ruby edges. Head is creamy, .25 of an inch thin, and long lasting. Smell is my only negative on this brew. It seems slightly skunky which masks any sort of roasty sweetness that lies underneath. I was surprised at the flavor of this beer at first. I expected a typical English nutty flavor, but there are many other layers that excite the palate beyond that. The most outstanding would be the "tang." I pulled that word from the bottle, and no matter how much I like to speak for myself and put it in my own words, that seems to hit the nail on the head for this one particularly predominant flavor. The sweetness is much brighter than more nutty or muddy examples of this style. Almost reminds me of a German dark larger...almost... But behind all of it, there is that roasted malt flavor, bringing out a touch of coffee and nut that is to be expected.

This is a great beer and feels brighter and lighter on the tongue than the color suggests; however, the dark brew yummy flavors are still hidden in there, so you are not "skimped"of flavor. A wonderful beer and I will absolutely go for it again.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

The beer pours opaque black with a full tan head. The foam quickly disapates leaving behind a light cover throughout the the drink. The aroma is more complex than I was expecting. More chocolate and caramel than coffee. I Get a little blueberry as well. The flavor has more coffee, dark malt than the aroma. There's noticable hop bitternes, but not much for aromatic hops. Hips are well balanced with the malt characteristics such that neither is overpowering. The mouthfeel is on the light side, but this isn't a Russian Imperial Stout. Carbonation level is good. This is a good drink. I'm not a porter/stout fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this is better than many other porters I've had.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Very Dark, near black, rich thick tan head, nice lacing down to the end.

S - Very malty with a mild smell of alcohol, coffee and some a hints of dark chocolate.

T - Bitter yet malty sweet all in one. Malt and coffee flavors really shine.
M- Lightly carbonated. Silky smooth

D - This stuff is Stellar and could easily be sessioned, I would recommend trying this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours very dark, slightly ruby with an off white head, didn't last long but more than likely it was the way my glass was cleaned. Sweat, almost yeasty aroma. Tangy in the flavor, a nice balance of sweet, bitter, and slight roasty notes in the middle, finishes dry with hints of chocolate. One of the better aftertastes you'll have drinking beer, stays in the mouth like sweet coffee.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pours a deep, strong-coffee brown/black with a little bit of a red hint when held to the light. A light brown, frothy head dissipates before too long. Lacing is thick but falls quickly.

S: Dominated by the choclatey, slightly coffee smelling malts, but there's a bit of sweetness in there too. Maybe cherries.

T: Sweet almost fruity chocolate character with a bit of a coffee flavor.

M: A little bit chalky, but not bad.

D: This is a nice, drinkable beer. Doesn't blow me away, but quite sessionable.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stemmed pub glass.

Appearance - Near pitch, slight brown/red hue. Beautiful tan colored head, fluffy and thick. Great lacing the whole way down.

Smell - Fruit cake, dark plum, ginger, brown sugar, maple syrup, baked bread, chocolate, coffee...pretty much a symphony!

Taste - Bold, brilliant! Hearty mocha/carmel sweetness held in check with touches of tangy dried fruit and bitter sweet chocolate. Fine roasted coffee bitterness on finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation, good weight, smoothed out like single malt scotch.

Drinkability- I could drink this beer everyday from fall till spring. Could also be a dessert beer. But it's not overly heavy. Leaves you looking forward to another soon.

Has become one of my top three beers of all time!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Very dark, almost pitch black when poured into a glass. Main smell is sweet... this may sound weird, but it almost smells like a mix between coffee with cream, and a banana. Something about the fruit notes smell very banana like to me. The taste is creamy, has a sweet taste, almost like coffee and cream. Slightly tangy on the other side, with more of sour taste then bitter per say. Mouthfeel is solid, good carbonation, starts creamy, less so as it warms up. Overall I really like this beer, but I can't say it's something I want to drink on a normal basis. The smell and taste is a very interesting profile, and not what I was expecting. I'm actually quite glad I had this, but I will probably only drink it occasionally.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

This has got to be one of my favorite porters. Pours a dark dark brown that is really closer to black. Nice brownish tan head that becomes thin but never really goes away. Smell is of darkly roasted coffee. The taste is bittersweet cocoa and coffee and perhaps a not so sweet fruit although I can't seem to put my finger on it. The mouthfell is great. Very smooth and creamy without feeling thick or sticky. The drinkability is good. You could defintely drink quite a few of these. Very tasty, not too high in alcohol and very smooth.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Very dark with a lingering tan head

S - Smells of delicious honey and sweet malts

T - Has a rich roasted taste that is extraordinarily well balanced. Less harsh than many American porters without losing complexity.

M - very smooth, medium body

D - the low ABV and smoothness gives exceptional drinkability

Samuel Smith's comes through again with a delicious and ridiculously drinkable beer! A must try for any porter fan.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)