Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Reviews: 1,304 | Ratings: 2,999
4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

I was told that this one was well worth it. I'm a big fan of the dark stuff but I was trying to venture over to the lighter side of things for warmer weather. But I could not pass up this one - a calling to my true nature. Here's how things lined out...

A: A vigorous pouring produced a thick tan head that took a while to dissipate - but never fully - leaving a thin layer and lacing throughout the experience. Black/dark brown liquid with slight redness to it prevents light from passing through.

S: Fresh from the fridge this just seemed like a standard but good porter. Letting it warm up to the proper temp opened it up. Of course there is the chocolate/coffee aromas. But there is much more in there. Dark fruits, a little citrus, a touch of smoke, vanilla.

T: This did not let me down. The taste follows the nose and comes off as an outstanding, solid porter.

M: I would have to say this is a medium body. Any heaver and it would come off as a stout. Nothing harsh about this - very easy going down.

D: Very drinkable. A tip of the hat to the Beer Philosopher for pointing this one out. I love it!!

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

thin light tan head, dark brown
coffee, roasted grain,
chocolate, iced-coffee, acidic
very refreshing, lighter than i expected but it goes so nice with the tartness
got another one the next night so...

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A - Deep brown, almost black, with a nice three finger tan head that recedes slowly and leaves a little bit of lace.

S - To me, it smelled a bit like irish cream: coffee, chocolate, and maybe a tiny hint of alcohol. A pretty inviting nose for sure.

T&M - Coffee, a hint of roasted malts, and carbonation start off the flavor. Finishes with hints of coffee and chocolate. Almost no bitterness. Low carbonation, which is good, as the flavors aren't that bold - the low carbonation allows them to stand out. The low carb also allows the creamy, smooth mouthfeel to be on display - really love the mouthfeel. Medium bodied. Only knock is that the flavors are a tad weak, but it's definitely a crisp and refreshing porter.

D - The crisp flavor profile and low abv make for a very sessionable porter. Definitely gonna pick some more of this up

A deep black coloured beer, with a tan head, bareley some red highlights held to a light.
Smell is definetly roasty, i wanna say vanilla and liqourice, but can't quite put my finger on it, a little burned and a little alcohol there too, but not too much.
the taste brings out the vanilla and liqurice more clearly. A bit of roasty bitterness there aswell. There is a thick and almost a little creamy body, and breathing out through the nose, it burns a little bit of alcohol there.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

550mL bottle

Smell is sweet of chocolate, molasses, fig, and sweet malts. There is a slightly tart smell present as well. This is definitely a Samuel Smith beer. Mouthfeel is a bit light, but very creamy and smooth. The smoothness remains after you swallow, coating the tongue.

Taste is sweet, with the flavors mirroring the smells. Some smoky flavor and some dryness from the hops comes through in the aftertaste. There is also a hint of a sour towards the end. I can't place it, but it somehow fits the beer. As it warms a bit, more sweet flavors reveal themselve, and a bit of nuttiness comes out. This is one tasty and complex beer. I'm glad I have 18+ oz. of enjoyment in this one.

Overall, this is basically what I expected coming into it. That's not to say it is mundane or anything like that. Samuel Smith just has a certain feel to the beers, and this fits in, while differentiating itself from its other styles. It is an easy drinking porter, and one to be savored. Price is my only limiting factor, but even at a high price, I'll still buy. Its that good.

3.9/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great, deep brown color with gorgeous ruby edges. Head is creamy, .25 of an inch thin, and long lasting. Smell is my only negative on this brew. It seems slightly skunky which masks any sort of roasty sweetness that lies underneath. I was surprised at the flavor of this beer at first. I expected a typical English nutty flavor, but there are many other layers that excite the palate beyond that. The most outstanding would be the "tang." I pulled that word from the bottle, and no matter how much I like to speak for myself and put it in my own words, that seems to hit the nail on the head for this one particularly predominant flavor. The sweetness is much brighter than more nutty or muddy examples of this style. Almost reminds me of a German dark larger...almost... But behind all of it, there is that roasted malt flavor, bringing out a touch of coffee and nut that is to be expected.

This is a great beer and feels brighter and lighter on the tongue than the color suggests; however, the dark brew yummy flavors are still hidden in there, so you are not "skimped"of flavor. A wonderful beer and I will absolutely go for it again.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

The beer pours opaque black with a full tan head. The foam quickly disapates leaving behind a light cover throughout the the drink. The aroma is more complex than I was expecting. More chocolate and caramel than coffee. I Get a little blueberry as well. The flavor has more coffee, dark malt than the aroma. There's noticable hop bitternes, but not much for aromatic hops. Hips are well balanced with the malt characteristics such that neither is overpowering. The mouthfeel is on the light side, but this isn't a Russian Imperial Stout. Carbonation level is good. This is a good drink. I'm not a porter/stout fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this is better than many other porters I've had.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Very Dark, near black, rich thick tan head, nice lacing down to the end.

S - Very malty with a mild smell of alcohol, coffee and some a hints of dark chocolate.

T - Bitter yet malty sweet all in one. Malt and coffee flavors really shine.
M- Lightly carbonated. Silky smooth

D - This stuff is Stellar and could easily be sessioned, I would recommend trying this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours very dark, slightly ruby with an off white head, didn't last long but more than likely it was the way my glass was cleaned. Sweat, almost yeasty aroma. Tangy in the flavor, a nice balance of sweet, bitter, and slight roasty notes in the middle, finishes dry with hints of chocolate. One of the better aftertastes you'll have drinking beer, stays in the mouth like sweet coffee.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was the first of the Samuel Smith beers I tried. Oatmeal Stout is likely to follow.

Look: A very dark beer with a tan head. Head is slightly bubbly and dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Chocolate, dried fruit, coffee, cream

Taste: Dark chocolate, dried fruit, cream, slight metallic.

Feel: Smooth, creamy.

Overall: Another beer I enjoy. The slightly fruity flavor was unexpected but welcome, and the metallic is more of an afterthought than a gripe. A solid brew I recommend you try.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pours a deep, strong-coffee brown/black with a little bit of a red hint when held to the light. A light brown, frothy head dissipates before too long. Lacing is thick but falls quickly.

S: Dominated by the choclatey, slightly coffee smelling malts, but there's a bit of sweetness in there too. Maybe cherries.

T: Sweet almost fruity chocolate character with a bit of a coffee flavor.

M: A little bit chalky, but not bad.

D: This is a nice, drinkable beer. Doesn't blow me away, but quite sessionable.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stemmed pub glass.

Appearance - Near pitch, slight brown/red hue. Beautiful tan colored head, fluffy and thick. Great lacing the whole way down.

Smell - Fruit cake, dark plum, ginger, brown sugar, maple syrup, baked bread, chocolate, coffee...pretty much a symphony!

Taste - Bold, brilliant! Hearty mocha/carmel sweetness held in check with touches of tangy dried fruit and bitter sweet chocolate. Fine roasted coffee bitterness on finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation, good weight, smoothed out like single malt scotch.

Drinkability- I could drink this beer everyday from fall till spring. Could also be a dessert beer. But it's not overly heavy. Leaves you looking forward to another soon.

Has become one of my top three beers of all time!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Very dark, almost pitch black when poured into a glass. Main smell is sweet... this may sound weird, but it almost smells like a mix between coffee with cream, and a banana. Something about the fruit notes smell very banana like to me. The taste is creamy, has a sweet taste, almost like coffee and cream. Slightly tangy on the other side, with more of sour taste then bitter per say. Mouthfeel is solid, good carbonation, starts creamy, less so as it warms up. Overall I really like this beer, but I can't say it's something I want to drink on a normal basis. The smell and taste is a very interesting profile, and not what I was expecting. I'm actually quite glad I had this, but I will probably only drink it occasionally.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Tastes of traditional steel-works with a hint of days gone by. The old gentleman come in from a brisk spring day and ordering a pint of lovely Porter. I'm not old or a gentleman, go figure.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

This has got to be one of my favorite porters. Pours a dark dark brown that is really closer to black. Nice brownish tan head that becomes thin but never really goes away. Smell is of darkly roasted coffee. The taste is bittersweet cocoa and coffee and perhaps a not so sweet fruit although I can't seem to put my finger on it. The mouthfell is great. Very smooth and creamy without feeling thick or sticky. The drinkability is good. You could defintely drink quite a few of these. Very tasty, not too high in alcohol and very smooth.

A - Very dark with a lingering tan head

S - Smells of delicious honey and sweet malts

T - Has a rich roasted taste that is extraordinarily well balanced. Less harsh than many American porters without losing complexity.

M - very smooth, medium body

D - the low ABV and smoothness gives exceptional drinkability

Samuel Smith's comes through again with a delicious and ridiculously drinkable beer! A must try for any porter fan.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

found a bottle at Andersonville liquors in Chicago

Dark brown hue with a moderate fizzy white head that diminished quickly.

Moderate scent of toasted malts, molasses, light doughy yeasty aroma

A very nice taste with roasted nuts and malts, a dry smoked nuts taste with a hint of mapley goodness

A very good english Porter. Drinkable and quite tasty

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

A - very very dark with amber highlights. ample head that stuck around.
S - smooth rich chocolate roasted aroma.
T - very very smooth rich creamy toasty flavor. it is a mouthful of complex flavor.
M - very rich in my opinion. aftertaste isn't too bitter.
D - makes good company with the nut brown ale and the oatmeal stout.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Beautiful tan head on a clean black body. Foam has fuzzy texture from the side. Syrup red on the bottom if you look at it right.

When the foam disappears, what is left is a nice caramel colored fog.

Aroma is bitter chocolate, coffee beans, raisins, and some molasses makes an appearance as well.

Hot damn, this one is amazing. A spicy hit of dark creamy chocolate with some coffee pushing it forward. The mouthfeel of this Porter is second to none. Straight up silk, I tell you. Aftertaste is burnt and pleasant.

Drinkability is huge. I'm buying 2 or 3 at a time from now on.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Decent head, good dark brown color.

Smell: Carob, caramel smoothness which would be great on a fall night outside.

Taste: chocolate, carob, sorta like brownies, slight, SLIGHT grapefruitiness

Mouthfeel: It seems like one of the thinner porters I've had. It's definitely thinner than something like Sierra Nevada Porter. It's medium thin I'd say. When you first swig it there's a big chunkiness to it.

Drinkability: Easily could drink this stuff all night. Friggen good.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

I picked this beauty up for $3.49 at the local BevMo.

It pours thick and black with a medium/thick off-white head which went from a good two inches thick to half an inch or so in a minute.

Smells of faint chocolate and coffee hit me right away... some sweetness. Very rich smelling, but pretty average.

The taste was far superior to the smell of this brew. very rich thick and smooth with light carbonation that tickles the tongue. This is a porter for sure. Tastes of roasted coffee beans and chocolate with a nice citrus backing. A slight bitterness lingers on the back of my tongue with hints of smoke. Very nice.

This is a very rich and flavorful porter that fairly easy to drink due to the slight but persistent carbonation. I was done after one bottle, but I could see myself having another had I not had this right after a meal. A very nice porter and IMO one of the best!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my samuel smith nonic pint glass. A dark caramel brown with a small 1in head that dissolves rather quickly a little too fast for my liking. you immediatley smell the malt along with some mild hops and after that a little bit of a fruit kick. very pleasing. the taste at first is somewhat sweet with just a little bit of bitterness from the hops. a very nice smooth mouthfeel and a high drinkability because of the low alcohol content.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

I prefer their oatmeal stout more. Different style beer by definition yes. However, it has a good head, and nice color. Pours really good, and sits well in the stomach. However its missing a little bit of flavor. But i do like the bitterness and the taste is still very good.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Poured with a nice thick head of dark tan color. Aroma was clean with a hint of dark roasted malts. Flavor was rich, thicker than expected in the mouth. Dark chocolate with a fruity sweetness to balance a dark bitterness. The sweetness stays on the tip of your tongue long after the swallow. A mild alcohol in the back of the throat, but not overpowering. The sweetness lingers almost too long. A pleasant porter experience for sure, but I prefer the Meantime London Porter over this one.

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a glass from the 550ml bottle

A-Dark brown almost black, tan head and little lacing.

S-I was not impressed here; wasn't bad just kind of boring.

T-A hint of chocolate, very malty, a hint of something nutty. This is nice.

MF-Thicker than other porters that I've tried, and I like it.

D-I feel that I could easily drink multiple of these, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one or two. I could see me starting out a cold night of pubbing with this, though.

Overall, this is the best porter that I've had so far, but that's a relatively small list at this point. This makes me look forward to the next porter that I can get my hands on.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)