Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Samuel Smith's India Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

3.68/5
Good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

3.6

Ratings: 1,911 |  Reviews: 943

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into my Sam Smith's pint glass.

A: Clear dark amber with a thin white head that quickly dissipates to a thin coating on top.

S: A soft citrus and apple scent. Slight sweet malts thrown in, but this is rather delicate smell, pleasant.

T: Very fruity, mostly apples and pears with a slightly bitter finish reminiscent of grapefruits, bready malts are clean and take the foretaste.

M: Medium bodied with snappy carbonation.

O: Straight 4's here. I think this is a great easy to drink beer. I like the low alcohol factor with the fruity taste with this and it's a great price to boot.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I have had better IPA's but this is really nice. poured into my Samuel Smiths pint glass it had a good looking head white head that did not really last all that long, and left little lacing.
It was a reddish gold colour and lots of bubbles rising. It Smelled quite nice very floral and Im getting hints of peach and apricot. Nice grape fruity taste to it and its quite bitter, I also get hints of honey. It has a rather peculiar mouth feel while remaining dry it is still nice and watery. Overall I would buy this lots (that is if my Liquor commission would stock it outside of a gift set) I would recommend it to any one who likes IPA's.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a copper golden color. Very clear. Has a thin white head with little retention.

Smells of straw, with some citrus thrown in as an afterthought. The malty backbone is prevalent, even in the nose.

Taste is similar to the smell, but where it lacks in citrus, it makes up for with pine.

Mouthfeel is slightly standard for an IPA, but with the malt, the bitter bite is a somewhat negated. It's still bitter in the finish, but it's much gentler than other beers I've had.

This is a good IPA and a bit different than those Americans are known for producing. It's nice to try what the rest of the world has to offer.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

4.36/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from bottle into Samuel Smith pint (hooray gift set!)

A - Pours a clear copper/amber color with a big thick and frothy head. Large amounts of lacing on the glass.

S - Nice blend of malts and English hops. Smell some fruits, particularly apples, and toffee/butterscotch/caramel.

T - Earthy hops, bready malts. Almost a peat moss type taste. Incredibly well-balanced - definitely a change of pace from American IPAs.

M - Medium bodied, ok carbonation, dry finish. Very mild and easy drinking.

O - Samuel Smith makes a very nice English IPA. It is quite different and milder than American IPAs, which I think explains the lower average score than this deserves. Its very drinkable and well-constructed. Its a gorgeous and tasty beer; one that is worth your time and effort.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Sammy Smith pint. Very excited to finally be trying this one.

Pour is amber-orange (is there a name for that color? If not, I'll get to work), probably a bit more orange than amber. Not much in the foam department at all, and whatever was there faded away quickly. There is, however, a thick sheet of lacing on the opposite side of the glass.

Aroma is exactly what I expect from an English IPA. It's bready, earthy, grainy, sweet, fruity...I'm smelling some caramel and green apples, maybe even some butterscotch.

The first thing I notice, oddly enough, is the finish; I taste an earthy bitterness as well as possibly some apple peel. It's a dry finish, too. The bread, grain and caramel are all present, and there's also a grassy flavor which very well could be the aforementioned apple peel.

Medium bodied. Fairly low level of carbonation makes the texture slick . A very easy drinker. A nice contrast to its American counterparts.

Poured a two finger head into my samuel smith pint glass, a crisp looking amber colour with an off white head, lots of spider web lacing with floating patches of yeast. The head had decent retention and reduced to a fine collar of foam.

Lots of fuggle hops, floral, caramel malt, light fruit.

Taste follows the nose with an earthy mineral twang, the fruit tastes darker than the nose and I get a faint cinnamon note.

This is a creamy medium bodied brew with plenty of carbonation, it is well balanced with a refreshng amount of bitterness up front.

A very nice english pale ale that hits all of the right notes for the style IMO. This is definitely a brew I could drink all evening.

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours a clear copper with a thick, creamy off-white head. Carbonation is visible, but sluggish.

S: Aromas of pine, cedar, toffee, lemon, tobacco, pepper, and moist earth are very apparent on the nose. This ale displays a complex of dirty, earthy scents that takes a while to process.

T: Notes of dark bread, toffee, lemon, orange rind, pine, cedar, tobacco, pepper, tea, moist earth, and moss dance across the palate. The finish is hoppy, yet gentle, with earthy, mossy notes mingling with pine, tea, and lemon flavors.

M: Medium bodied and fairly dry. Carbonation is present, but not harsh, imparting a tingling feeling in the mouth. This would work really well as a thirst quencher.

O: I don't see this as an IPA. I see this as more of a really earthy ESB. To me, this beer is a keeper simply because of the manner in which it showcases the flavors of classic English ale hops. It's very laid back and smooth for such a flavorful ale.

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

I got an India Ale for Samuel Smith's Holiday Pack for $11.99 at Meijers. I am in the mood for an IPA tonight so I thought I would give this beer a try, I was disappointed with their Nut Brown Ale, so I hope this beer turns out better. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown foiled 550ml bottle into a Samuel Smith's pint glass.

A- The label on this beer looks OK, but there is nothing about it that really catches the eye. It poured a pretty clear orangish amber color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This beer looks good.

S- The aroma is pretty similar to the Nut Brown Ale which is pretty disappointing. It has that same aroma of very sweet malts that impart an aroma that smells like a mixture of apple juice and sweet sherry. I pick up a little bit of earthy hops, but not much. Just like the Nut Brown Ale there is much to be desired with the aroma. It needs less sweetness and more hops.

T- Thankfully the taste is isn't as bad as the aroma, but it still isn't that good. The first thing that I picked up in this beer was the sweet malt base that has a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a grainy and biscuit like flavor and there is a noticeable yeasty flavor. The hops show up in the middle and are pretty much all earthy and pretty light on flavor. The finish had a medium amount of light bitterness and it had a grainy aftertaste with a little bit of earthy hops. I know English IPA's are pretty balanced but on this one the sweet malts were the most dominating with only a very mild amount of earthy hops coming through.

M- Somewhat smooth, on the light side of being medium bodied and it had the right amount of medium carbonation. Not much to complain about as far as the mouthfeel goes.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty average English IPA, I admit I don't have that much experience with English IPA's and this is my first traditional one brewed in England, but this IPA just didn't do it for me, there wasn't enough hop flavors to balance out the overly sweet malts. The lack of flavor and the sweeter then normal malts makes this beer not that drinkable a whole bottle is a little too much, I lost interest after the first 8 ounces. What I liked most about this beer was the look and mouthfeel, it looked pretty good in the Samuel Smith pint glass, and the mouthfeel was on par for an English IPA. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, the aroma was pretty close to their Nut Brown Ale with those overly sweet malts that smell more like a mixture of sherry and apple juice then they smell like a beer, and the taste wasn't too balanced with the overly sweet malts taking over putting the hops on the back burner. I won't be buying this beer again, and I would have to be pretty desperate for a beer to drink this again. I don't recommend this beer, the malt base is too sweet and it doesn't let enough hop flavors come through. So far I am 0 for 2 with the Samuel Smith Holiday pack, this beer wasn't as bad as the Nut Brown Ale, but it still wasn't good either. I don't know if these beers are old or if I just don't like the sweet malt profile of their beers. Bridge Brew Work's IPA is still my favorite IPA, I would gladly take that or this beer any day. I hope their Oatmeal Stout is much better because so far I am unimpressed with this English Brewery.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

You can tell that this website is dominated by American beer drinkers. A rating of a B for this ale is understandable from an American hops palate perspective. This beer is not bitter enough, not pithy enough, not enough citrus, not enough pine...it's entirely wrong for an IPA...an American IPA. This is an English IPA and this is quite a good one at that.

The English hops are the star in this delivering spice and grass against some wonderfully clean malt flavors. Not overly sweet and not exceptionally bitter. The body benefits from this and is quite refreshing and easy-drinking. The bitterness lingers just a bit, but not even close to the levels achieved by American IPAs.

Samuel Smith sets the bar again for a British style.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Samuel Smith's India Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 3.68 out of 5 with 1,911 ratings