Organic Pale Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Organic Pale AleOrganic Pale Ale
3.87/5
Very Good
Organic Pale AleOrganic Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Pale Ale

Known as Organic Best Ale in the UK.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-27-2001

4.1

Ratings: 1,574 |  Reviews: 890

1.22/5  rDev -68.5%

Goldish amber with white fluffy medium lasting head. Smells musky, sweaty and simply not good at all. I've had skunky beers that smelled possibly better. Taste is somewhat smooth creamy and just grossly sweaty, and yeasty. Kind of like moist dirty laundry. Not good. One of my least favorite beers ever, and undrinkable for me, although it didn't taste like a beer that had gone bad. I simply didn't like this one, and Samuel Smith's Lager and Nut Brown ale were quite good.

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.15/5  rDev -44.4%

When I took my first drink of this beer, I felt like I was sucking the smelt off of a copper mine. This beer has a bitter, unforgiving and relentless afterbite. More bitter than my ex girlfriend, and an aftertaste that haunts you like her memory, and will not go away. I needed crackers to remove the aftertaste. I needed therapy to remove her memory. I did not like this beer, not one bit.

2.16/5  rDev -44.2%

Well as with the other SS this is metallic and this is probably the worst. I must have been chewing my bronze gum while drinking this, note to self no more light SS. Anyway from this years gift set this beer was a nice copper taste, I mean color and a unforgiving metal taste that was only tolerable being chugged. It had a decent body and it smelled like a beer in a rusty can.

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

2.36/5  rDev -39%

2.44/5  rDev -37%

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not my favourite, but i got a feeling that the place that served it hadn't cleaned there equipment for a while, coz it tasted off, so thats what my ratings based on.

2.54/5  rDev -34.4%

Pours the traditional medium amber, and clear rust hues. With very little visible carbonation. The aroma is very bland and a tart malt with some very bland hop bitterness at the finish of the sniff. The taste is even more tart and almost a sur weet malt. Hints of stiny hops in the midde of each taste. This was not what I expected from this renowned brewery.

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

Quickly diminshing head starting at a meager 0.25 inches giving way to a thin blanket driven by the very high effervesence of this brew. Clear, amber body almost as "bubbly" as a freshly served flute of champagne.

Fresh, spicy hops immediately on the nose followed by a rush of sweetness suggesting syrup or honey. A definite roasted malt presence similar to that of a finely crafted Vienna lager.

The hops apparent on the nose are immediately absent. Definite roasted malt presence that gives way to a, dare I say, cereal malt-esque finish that lasts for an unpleasantly long time. A little too watery and not packing much flavor. What happened to all the good stuff I smelled? I can certainly believe this was organically produced beacuse it tastes like dirt. The only highlight was that it picked up a sugary mouthfeel as it warms.

Despite the absolute lack of flavor, mouthfeel is good and pleasantly creamy. However, forget about experiencing any of the effervesence present in the glass.

I'm sure the drinkability of this is high because it may take another three or four to figure out what SS was going after with this one.

My only thought is that this may have been sitting on the shelf for far too long. I can't possibly imagine SS producing this beer in the state in which I sampled it. Hopefully I can find another and review this one again. In a blind test, I would NEVER believe that this beer was from the same brewery that produces the outstanding SS Imperial Stout.

2.57/5  rDev -33.6%

A: Copper colored with good clarity; frothy tan head with medium lacing. Very inviting.
S: Very little nose to speak of.
T: Rather bland with little evident maltiness, bitterness or flavor notes. I've had tastier light lagers.
M: Medium body, good retention of effervescence. Besides the color, mouthfeel best characteristic.
O: Rather a disappointment from Samuel Smith. Could be a flat our convenience beer.

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

Original Rating Date:
September 4, 2008

Nose in the bottle leads to a really odd, funky smell at first- like stinky feet. After the pour it opens up and smells a bit more of sour hops. Still not a great smell... reminds me of sour dog piss, no kidding. Nice bronze color to it, though. As long as I keep my nose away I can easily handle it- some good bitter, a bit sour hops. Sam Smith loves their ESB, and they do them well. This is an enjoyable beer but not a pale ale in the least. A bit tart, very malty. Average mouthfeel- what I expected. Another good brew from Samuel Smiths. I'm becoming an enormous Samuel Smiths fan, these are some high quality brews for no more than $3. Thumbs up.

2.59/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours an orange color with a thick off white head, little carbonatoin noted. As I opened the beer I was taken back by the skunky odor, damn clear bottles. Skunkyness dissapated as the beer settled in the glass but then was replaced by fruitty esters with a sulfury winey characteristic. I don't care too much for the yeast strain Samuel Smith uses. Taste is earthy and aftertaste of grain builds up, some fruitty esters in there, again with a vinous characteristic. Body is thin and watery and beer is lightly carbonated. Once you get past the taste the drinkablity isn't bad. Definatly not worth the price.

2.59/5  rDev -33.1%

355 ml. bottle. Pours an amber with small off-white head. Initial smell was not very good (maybe got a bad bottle). Taste was a little better, bitter, malty, a little hoppy. Medium body and a slight metallic finish.

I wanted to rate this now, even though it maybe be skewed by a bad beer. Will re-rate.

Organic Pale Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 3.87 out of 5 with 1,574 ratings