Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic) | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic)Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic)
3.83/5
Very Good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

4.1

Ratings: 1,222 |  Reviews: 699

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a hazy orange color. The head is one finger thick, and a thin layer remained throughout the beer. On the nose, I didn't smell too much, with sour apple being the primary aroma.

The sour apple sensation became even stronger on the taste The beer even made me pucker on my first few sips. The hops don't make an appearance. Neither do the typical diacetyl overtones. I wonder how fresh this bottle is, but I can only go off what I'm tasting right now.

Anyway, going off the bottle I had, I'd say this isn't a bad beer, but it doesn't compare well to the Fuller's London Pride I had earlier in the evening.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A: shiny amber body, 2 finger head, patchy lacing

S: biscuit malt, apple, grain

T: light apple, grain malt, light bitter crisp finish

M: light/med body, dry crisp mouth

O: This is good English pale ale.
Great session brew and would
recommend to others.

WELL DONE, GIVE IT A GO!

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a dark brownish amber with 1/2" of dense, foamy head with good retention. The smell is cooked apples, faint caramel, and light, bready malts. The taste is bready, caramelly malt with some sweet apple-like fruitiness and faint alcohol phenols. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, and well carbonated.

This is a well balanced, malty, delicious example of the style. I've had it on several occasions, and I've enjoyed it every time.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a British Pint glass.

Cloudy translucent, apricot with a 1 finger tan head that leaves a palimpset of nice lacing.

Aroma of bready malt, apricots and clover-honey. As the beer warms Caramel and Diacetyl announce themselves.

Mouthfeel: That Tadcaster water wins every time.

Taste: A bed of malt spread with honey, sprinkled with white pepper that leaves a thick patina of musty, earthy, English Hops, coated in sweet caramel.

Notes: Killer. This beer instantly joins the Pantheon. I allow the sweetness of this beer to pass through the gates unmolested as the overall composition of this masterpiece works in every way.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Fuller's London Pride.

A: Clear light amber with few tiny bubbles and a two-finger, off-white creamy head that lasted a couple of minutes. Pretty good lacing.

S: Malt. Apples and dark fruit. Very mild.

T: Light sweetness and bitterness. Apples and citrus hops. A hint of nuttiness.

M: Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Creamy and smooth. Just slightly dry.

O: I was a bit dissappointed by the head retention and lacing. The smell was a bit too mild. Overall, very drinkable though, and very smooth. I like the flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Poured a clear copper color from a 12 oz bottle, with no ABV or freshness date on the bottle.
One finger frothy, foamy head that dissipates fairly slowly to a thin film that stays.
Rich malty aroma with hints of spice and hops.
Taste, similar to the aroma, is high on malts. There is a lingering bitterness from the hops in the finish.
Crisp, refreshing and easy to drink. Perfect sessions beer.
This is an ale for all times. Definitely worth a try and comes highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from 550 ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Bright amber orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big four finger off white head with good retention and lots of lacing sticking around the glass.

Smell: Sweet toasted caramel malts with apples, bread, dark berries, figs, nuts, and hints of citrus hops. Very malt driven. Smells a lot like apple cider.

Taste: Like the smell. A big taste of bready sweet caramel malts with apples, toffee, nuts, berries, and figs. There is a light but noticeable presence of citrus hops in the finish. Tastes a lot like apple cider but the small kick of hops in the finish reminds you that its a beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very creamy in the mouth and smooth.

Overall: A very fine English pale ale. Very malty but the sweetness is nice and not too much. Pretty well balanced.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

Copper with slightly cloudy consistency. Thin, off-white head, though definite lacing. Malty apple aroma with hints of berry. Creamy medium body with med-high bitterness. Malty, caramel taste, slightly toasty with a refreshing finish. Nice representation of an ESB.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Small amount of fluffy head over a golden orange body. Nose is bready white toast with a faint fruity hop character. Flavor is the same as nose. Light bready flavor with a metallic sourness. Some fruity hops notes but I'm thrown off by this malty sourness. It doesn't taste infect but just a bad mix of malts. I drank the whole bottle but won't be buying this again.

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Darker apple juice with little to no head, hazy with no suspended particles

S: A cidery, nutty nose with a total absent of hops.

T: Sweet apple with a dry finish. Nice hoppyness. Little beyond apple.

M: Medium bodies beer with a fizzyness that leaves the mouth dry

O: An easy beer to drink, light for a medium bodied beer

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours copper with a beautifully frothy off white head... Lacing stays glued to the glass as you drink it down. Aroma is unique. Kind of a toasty banana scent, caramel and bready malts with hint of floral hops. Flavor has a sweet caramel malt flavor with a light bitter finish. Exceptionally creamy mouthfeel, medium body. Very pleasant beer. Thanks Sam.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a burgandy wine glass, I know, but we were drinking wine prior to popping this open.

A: nice caramel, copper color, not much head, noticeable lacing.

S: nutty, in fact after a few sniffs I detected nutmeg, don't know if that was really there or if anyone gets that, but I distinctly smelled nutmeg. Some citrus detected. Sweet smelling which then worried me but...

T: lovely flavor, caramelly, nutty but a little bitter hops on the back of the tongue, a little hint of citrus, a smooth drink

M: sweet yet had a hoppy bitterness at the finish, nice.

Overall: I enjoyed this, it may have been my first English Pale Ale and is not comparable to American Pale Ales. I little heavier because of the sweetness and not as hoppy bitter.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'm far lacking in the department of English Pale Ale's. I’m so used to the American version that often I miss interpret and what this style is all about. Not often do I have true English Pales around to get a better idea to how to critique it, will see how it goes, have to remember this is probably not going taste like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Anyways bought this beer at my local market, they also have there Oatmeal Stout which is very good Samuel Smith. Its my understanding that this is a very old brewery and that they haven’t deviated from how they make it so im very curious.

Came in 550ml bottle with gold wrapping at 3.49 a bottle it was a good deal.

A- Pours a deep reddish amber with cellos looking soapy head, diminished to a rather thin lace.

S- Strong sweet Carmel malts is very upfront and forward, with a fig candy aroma to go along with. Very subtle in the hop aroma but its there; perfume like if you will.

T/M/O- Dry, Carmel malts upfront, sweet candy type flavor; I've read prior to this review of other saying flavors of jolly rancher, grape flavor comes to mind or maybe a hint of watermelon. Hop bitterness is minimal, I really like the dry bite to this brew, flavor is there with a strong complex presence, and then dissipates quickly. Very good stuff, although one or two of these is plenty for my tastes. To strong in the Carmel maltiness of it, i could see getting fatigued with that. Overall its a good beer.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

A: reddish brown, thinnish head, no lacing to speak of. good carbonation.

S: malty, raisins & apples. Malty. some alcohol.

T: fantastic English Pale Ale. Smooth & creamy. Malt notes hit you aright away and linger on. Nicely balanced alcohol. Not much hop notes to speak of - this is a proper English Ale, by jove.

M: full, creamy, balanced.

O: a very very fine representation of the style. Would love to have this on tap. Like all Samuel Smith's beers, this is afire, fine beer. Recommended!

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a some big ass glass...

Appearance-Amber body, very dark Pale Ale. Sucha creamy 3 finger off white head. Beautiful Retention and nice lacing. Very appealing as it should be.

Smell-Sweet malts, light hops. Some skunk, not sure what the date is on this bottle...

Taste-Tart granny smith apple along with some sweet caramel malts. A light bitterness lingers throughout.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied, nicely carbonated. Refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall-Simple, and straight to the point. Like all Sam Smith beers it's very drinkable. This 550 will be finished shortly.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Pretty straight forward English pale ale. Aromas of malt and fruit. Just the slightest hop aromas. Maybe earthy.

Tastes really good. Slightly sweet. Maybe a little citrus and fruit. Just a slight bitterness present.

Really good and highly drinkable. Maybe just a little too sweet for the style maybe? But really good. I could sit and drink a pile of these.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Let me just say that this was not at all what I expected, in a good way. I got this beer because I like Samuel Smith's, not because I'm a big pale ale person. I can easily say it was unlike any pale ale I've ever had. It was a very smooth, very enjoyable taste. It was a hint of hops and malt bathed in pure smooth creaminess. I really cannot get over how much I enjoyed it. Like all Sam Smith's I've had so far, the mouthfeel cannot be beat.

Notes: The Nut Brown was quite nice, the Imperial Stout was amazing, and this beer falls somewhere between those two. I've still got two more bottles of Sam Smith's to try before I pick my favorite. As far as pale ales go, I think I have a new champion.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a Samuel Smith's Imperial pint glass. No born on date, something I wish Samuel Smith's would finally institute. I love their beer but I'm we've all been duped into buying skunked bottles due to lack of dating.

A - Pours an amber color with a small white head. No lacing.

S - Sweet toffee maltiness with a nice, mellow hoppiness.

T - Sweet toffee and bready malts are followed by a balancing hoppy bitterness, reminiscent of lemon. Finishes semi dry with a lasting biscuit flavor.

M - Medium bodied with balanced carbonation and finishes semi dry.

O - Easily one of my favorite EPA's, a beer I could easily have 3 or 4 of in a night.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear light amber/copper in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high sense beige head that quickly died down but never completely faded away, leaving some lacy patterns of bubbles on the surface along with a thick ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: The smell has moderately strong fruity aromas of apples along with some hints of toffee.
T: Like the smell, the taste is quite fruity (apples seem to stand out in particular) and also has some flavors of biscuit and bready malts, toffee and hints of tea.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very sessionable as it’s easy to drink and goes down very smoothly.

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%

Nobody panic! My avatar recently changed and I am not drinking beer from a CAN, bottle be getting back to The CANQuest (TM) real soon. For now, I want to concentrate on the Samuel Smith's oeuvre.

Mine is a heavy brown bottle, vice the clear one in the picture. My pour created a finger of tawny head with decent retention. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was highly malty, underlain with grassy hops. Mouthfeel was silky smooth with tastes of honey and raspberries on the tongue. Great goshdarn! How have I overlooked this beer for so long?!? Finish was very fruity with a little butteriness, to boot. How do they do that? I gotta make a mental note of this one.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance:
A clear and crisp copper color with a light/frothy white head with semi-decent head retention. I feel the color was a little on the dark side for the style (I classify this beer as a SB) but in hind sight the room was a bit on the dark side.

Aroma:
The overall aroma is sweet and of hops, leaning more to the sweet. Also this beer has hints of caramel.

Taste:
This beer was less bitter tasting than expected. There was more of a focus on the malts. The carbonation was appropriate with a dry (sweet) finish with a hint of hops.

Overall:
All-in-all I think this beer is a little too mild on the bitterness for a English Pale Ale (SB). With that said, this is a very enjoyable drink.

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic) from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 3.83 out of 5 with 1,222 ratings