Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic) | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic)Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic)
3.83/5

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

4.1

Ratings: 1,216 |  Reviews: 697
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Its pretty hard to knock a Samuel Smith and this one is no exception. Nothing really to blow you away, but I can't really find anything I'd change in this beer.

Aroma is mainly malt sweetness with hops faintly in the background.
The taste is sweet sugary malt upfront that fades into a buttery toasted flavour. There are some herbal hops but they are minimal and in the background. The finish is very dry and slightly bitter. Not as balanced as I would expect, but the taste is great.
Mouthfeel is pretty moderate and a medium carbonation as well.

Nothing wrong with this beer, its a little toned down compared to some American pale ales around but honestly this is textbook right here. Nothing but good things to say.

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle from Samuel Smith's gift set.

Appearance: Pours a lovely golden/copper colour with a nice white head, retaining to a beautiful lace.

Aroma: Solid malt backbone with some hops. Hops hidden behind the malt, but still there. Grass, honey, florals, some bread and alcohol.

Taste: Lots of malt. A tad sweet, with medium bitterness in the finish. Yeasty and somewhat astringent, but still good.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, drinkable, a nice EPA.

Final Statement: A bit of a dissapointment for me. As a pale ale fiend, I was excited about this one. Hop presence was minimal, tasted somewhat astringent. I should note that I am a hophead, and the lack of hop character in this beer made me pretty dissapointed. I was a bit harder on this Ale because they have a big reputation, however, It was not bad. It was worth a try.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The reddish-brown of this excellent beer looked very nice, but the soon-to-follow aroma... oh, it was impressive! The caramelized malty character shows itself so well, but yet so unobtrusively. We also have a background tofee-like smell. The controlled bitterness at the beginning, which precedes an unexpected, but real, carbonation impression at the palate, is very soothing actually. In the end, the hops appear more clearly, which is pleasant and refreshing. Fantastic beer!

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

clear amber color ... pours nicely with a firm, small head ...
a fresh smell of tropical rainforest paired with earthy charcoal ....
the roasted notes are dominant in the taste as well, paired with exotic fruits (bananas, starfruit) .... quite dry and a nice bitter note ...
another classic from Samuel Smith ....

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours stunningly beautiful. There is amazing clarity to this deep rich amber ale. The glass is crowned with a solid finger and a half of meringue-like tan head. Lacing is thick and sticky.
Big malty backbone. Sweet caramel malts, fruity esters and mild hops in the nose.
Taste is classic English Pale Ale. Excellently balanced. Well done, Samuel Smith.
Medium bodied. Slick, dry mouthfeel.
If you are not fimiliar with English Pale Ales this is certaintly one to try. If you are a fan already, you are sure to enjoy this as much as I did.

3.14/5  rDev -18%

A pretty average brew. I was a little dissapointed coming from Samuel Smith. The beer is a nice deep amber color with a beautiful head. The smell is lacking... not much there but malt.

The taste was very mellow. A good flavor for a crossover beer. Could have definitely used more hops.

The beer was very drinkable with a nice consitency and good carbonation. I would not buy anymore of these for myself but may get them to crossover some of my buddies.

Justin

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale pours a lovely copper color with and generous light tan head.

The smell has some caramel sweetness, a touch of citrus, and leathery note. The taste also has the sweetness and touch of citrus and finishes crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a pleasing aftertaste. This is a very drinkable beer - one to find if you love a good English Pale Ale.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

I can't believe I've never had a Samuel Smith Pale Ale before! Certainly the Stouts (Oatmeal and Imperial) the Nut Brown Ale and the Taddy Porter gather more attention but it would only make sense that Samuel Smith would make a classic style English Pale Ale.

The pour is highly inviting - the beer is a clear, deep red in color with a large, sticky tan head. The head sticks around like whipped cream on hot cocoa but oddly leaves very little lacing.

The smell is textbook English Pale Ale - plenty of fruit and malt notes to savor. Major notes are apricot and warm bread with a wee bit of floral hops to round out the experience.

Taste is right on the mark - lots of sweet malt up front, plenty of fruity notes and then a touch of English hops to round out the sip. The beer is a bit on the sweet side which draws attention to the fruitiness but the hopping keeps it all from being cloying.

Mouthfeel isn't what I'd normally look for in a beer; it's a bit on the under carbonated side (after that nice head!) and rather oily on the tongue but then that's (again) exactly to style for an English Pale Ale. If I could find anything to quibble about at all I'd have asked for a little bit more hopping to bring out some astringency but it truly would be a quibble...

All in all very drinkable. The clear glass bottle didn't seem to have harmed the brew in the least (good handling or just good luck?) If you're looking for a good English Pale Ale there are a few major brands you can choose without going wrong (Youngs, Fullers) It's safe to say you can add Samuel Smith to that list.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Remember before you review this beer: this is an English Pale Ale, not an American Pale Ale. Nice Pale Ale appearance with an orange-straw colored body and an ivory cap. Lots of biscuity notes in the nose from what I'm guessing is a monstrous malt profile, sweet, ripe fruits and mild toffee. Not a complete lack of hops in the taste but almost. Toasted sweet malts and a buttery, nutty, almost honey-like character. Mouthfeel is smooth, not to dry and creamy like a good EPA should be. Nice classic-won't knock your socks of but quality example and a nice friend to turn to when there is isn't a great selection surrounding it.

Lucky me, my bottle was un-skunked.

A not-so-pale-colored pale ale with a pretty head that dies down after a few minutes, leaving a small amount of lacing.

Malty sweetness in the nose.

To me, the taste (and color) is much closer to what I know to be an amber ale. I really dont think its all that hoppy. Not bad attributes, just different. I enjoyed the toasty finish. There's a subtle bitterness in there too, which is interesting. Definitely more bitter than it is hoppy.

I'm sure I'll be having this again sooner or later (the gift pack with the logo glass always sucks me in). High marks all around.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

This is another big one for us… have only 899 bottles to go! I am sure when we get close to the end I will begin to get sentimental… but not yet. I just want to drink! This is also the first beer we are rating from our new home in Scottsdale, Arizona. We recently moved, which is why we haven’t been drinking many lately, but are here and starting to get settled. We are leaving for vacation next week, so we won’t be writing while we are gone. But still.

Tonight we are drinking the last of the Samuel Smith beers. I am glad, because only one of these has impressed me. I am just not a big fan of this brewery. I did learn that the water used for this beer comes from a well dating back to 1758… so that’s pretty cool. I just hope the beer doesn’t taste like it was made in 1758. Bottoms up!

In the Glass: It looks good in the glass. It has a dark copper color, and appears to be thick and creamy. The head is a slight tan that floats on the top. The glass is full, so I can’t really swirl to see if there is much lace. I picked the wrong glass… for shame!

Nose: It smells like a bitter pale ale. I am a fan of bitter… the more bitter the better. That is why I frequent a good IPA. I have been getting into imperial IPAs lately. They usually have a more noticeable hop character and a longer, more satisfying aftertaste. Let’s see what the Old Brewery Pale Ale tastes like.

Flavor: The bitter notes hit you right off the bat. The beer then drinks like a very dry, and somewhat malty IPA. They kept mentioning the malty flavors, but the words “bitter” and “malty” don’t really go together. It seems to work here, though. The bitterness that you experience toward the front of the palate is gone as fast as it gets there, leaving you for a very balanced experience from front to back.

Mouthfeel: It drinks like a well-carbonated pale. I sometimes wonder what the difference between a pale and an IPA are… but this one is an obvious pale ale. I am not a big fan of Samuel Smith beers, but this one is the best I have had from them. No wonder it is so popular. Oh, and this is the last Samuel Smith in the book. Good!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn’t as bitter as I wanted it to be, but it is present for quite some time. There is some dryness toward the back of the palate, but as the aftertaste fades the bitterness sticks around. From the second I stuck my nose in the glass, I knew this was going to be a balanced and drinkable beer.

I am glad this one was bearable. Like I said, I am not a big fan of Samuel Smith. Their beer is VERY easy to get, and it is cheap. I am talking $3 a bottle cheap. That’s good for people that don’t like craft beer and want to try it for the first time… but when it comes to craft beer, you really do get what you pay for.

Samuel Smith’s Old Brewery Pale Ale - The bottle says: “Brewed with hard well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, yeast, and aromatic hops to create a copper-coloured ale with a full, rounded flavor; fermented in ‘stone Yorkshire squares’; the finish is a perfect balance of malt and hops. A good many British beers were very dark before the Industrial Revolution; new malting techniques led to pale malts allowing the evolution of this classic brewing style - a cornerstone of British pub culture.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

550ml bottle poured into a pint glass
Old brewery pale ale pours a beautiful deep red copper with a slight white head which laces a bit. The smell is a bit week but I can dectect low levels of bready malts, light malts and floral hops. The taste is classic pale ale light maltiness with a fair bit of floral hops. The finish is dry with no aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good for a pale ale, good levels of carbonation with a body that is light enough to make drinking enjoyable. On to drinkability this is really hard to top, this is a very solid pale ale.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Wow, this beer couldn't look anymore attractive right now. Easily 3+ fingers of off-white, dense foam that has real lasting power. The color is gorgeous too. A deep ruby amber color with perfect clarity. Surprisingly enough... this gets a 5 from me.

S: Tons of crisp aromas. The hops are what get me first are the piney hop aromas. Then it's all about the fruitiness of this beer. I get lots of dark fruits as well as some brown sugar. There's a lot of sweetness in the nose. It smells really nice though.

T: Hops are more subdued than your normal American Pale (duh!) but they are certainly there. This beer is really quite nice. The first thing that I get is some of that piney hop flavors. Somewhat floral. Then it moves to the rich, fruity malt base. I get lots of brown sugar, some nice rich caramel-like flavors. It's incredibly crisp and has a clean finish!

M: I let this beer sit out for a while before I tasted it and it's spot on. It's got a nice light carbonation with a smooth almost creamy body.

O: Wow, such a clean...tasty, complex beer. A true session beer in my opinion. I could drink this straight through dinner and into dessert. The Samuel Smith's India Pale Ale is next for tonight and I couldn't be more excited!

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured a big bottle into a Samuel Smith's pint glass.

A: Amazing looking ale. Amber/red with a perfect creamy tan head.

S: Nice, fragrant hops, caramel, toast and a wave of zesty tobacco at the end. This one screams complexity.

T: A hoppy, caramel character is complimented well by hints of white chocolate and a rich, coffee-like finish.

Drinkability: Excellent. Something you could see Sherlock Holmes drinking in his favorite pub with Watson by his side.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The first of three beers given to me by my greatest friend, Stephen (aka Fatty Chubs). Tension mounted as I removed the beer from the fridge, carefully removing its cap and placing it in my hand for close inspection. The bottle breathed - and whispered a sweet smelling vapor. I raised her up in the air to inspect how the room's atmosphere effected her. She poured gently into my glass, being careful not to make a scene that would embarass either of us. And oh, she did not disappoint. She gracefully climbed my glass and seeked my attention with a full, provocative head. She called to me; I answered. I went in for my first sip, but stopped...stopped by her gentle perfume. It filled my nose with the kindness of mother's love and the seduction of a lover's eyes. I could wait no longer. I brought the Samuel Smith to my lips to satiate my burning desire...and ....

Down it went - with nothing but pleasure on the horizon. It left a sweet and sour mixture on my pallette, that faded into a gentle bitter that left me begging for more. Each sip was more enjoyable. I promised myself that this would not be my last affair with the Samuel Smith Old Brewery Pale Ale.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

I really enjoyed this beer. I thought it was very mellow and full of flowery hop aroma. Poured a nice rich head. A very clear and crisp amberish color. Taste was very light. Not much of a hoppy flavor at all. Most seemed to come from the aroma. Very light and refereshing mouthfeel as well.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic) from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 3.83 out of 5 with 1,216 ratings