Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale AleSamuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England)
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Reviews: 661 | Ratings: 1,001
2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

Ingredients: malt, hops

Clear bottle gold foil. Where is the beer here? What is up with the clear bottles? Reddish color, thin head, no lace. Barely perceptible malty aroma. Weak bitterness. I imagine a fine beer here out of respect for the brewer’s other products, but it must be the clear bottle that has sapped all the character from this beer. I can’t believe I will bother much more with these brews. Why would I spend big money on them when their character is sapped by the brewer putting them in clear bottles? This is simply a waste of craftsmanship

2.71/5  rDev -29.8%

The clear bottle is attractive, but I have to wonder if it affected the taste in a bad way. No doubt, Samuel Smith Pale Ale looks good -- really good. However, the taste reminded me of the canned Carling Black Label that we used to hide in the woods, as young teenagers.

The poured appearance is richly golden with a light amber hue (hey, I said it looked good), with a thick short-lived head. Aroma wasn't bad, but it was on the malty side -- not citrusy such as I expect with a Pale Ale. The taste was very Budweiser-esque, or warm canned Carling Black Label: overly sweet (corn, no doubt) with a putrid (skunky) finish. Carbonation, which may have helped this brew, was almost nonexistent.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Copper color, brilliant clarity. Pours a nice white head, tight and creamy and with good retention.

Initial aroma was somewhat mineraly (sp?), but ultimately a rich maltiness with a hint of raisin. Slight earthy hop aroma?

Starts with some malty sweetness, but becomes somewhat sour by the finish. Finishes with a stale bitterness. Tastes old and oxidized.

MF - Light to medium body, fairly light carbonation. No astringency, but some drying on the outside of the tongue, indicative of oxidation.

Overall - No freshness date on the bottle, but guessing the single bottle I picked up at Trader Joes isn't exactly brewery fresh. Put an asterisk on this review - given the reputation of the brewery I'm sure a quality sample of the beer is significantly better!

2.63/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured into my Sam Smith Pint Glass

Pours a 1/2 finger slightly off white head. Fades down quickly. Carbonation bubbles stick to the bottom and a few float to the top. Color is a clear bright golden orange. Not the best retention. No lace observed.

Aroma: The main thing I smell is caramel. Not very hoppy. I haven't had a pale ale in a while, but I am definitely not liking this one.

Taste: Caramel and a lot of malts here. Some grassy hops. There just isn't a lot going on here and I am really not liking any of it. Has a nut taste to it as it warms.

Mouthfeel: A little bitter, nothing compared to an IPA though. Medium bodied. Lower-level of carbonation. Leaves a musky hoppy aftertaste. I am not liking this either.

Overall, I refuse to drain pour any beer, but if I were to do so, this would be the beer to do it. There was really nothing I enjoyed about this beer and I probably won't have it again. Maybe I got a bad bottle.

2.59/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours an orange color with a thick off white head, little carbonatoin noted. As I opened the beer I was taken back by the skunky odor, damn clear bottles. Skunkyness dissapated as the beer settled in the glass but then was replaced by fruitty esters with a sulfury winey characteristic. I don't care too much for the yeast strain Samuel Smith uses. Taste is earthy and aftertaste of grain builds up, some fruitty esters in there, again with a vinous characteristic. Body is thin and watery and beer is lightly carbonated. Once you get past the taste the drinkablity isn't bad. Definatly not worth the price.

2.59/5  rDev -32.9%

355 ml. bottle. Pours an amber with small off-white head. Initial smell was not very good (maybe got a bad bottle). Taste was a little better, bitter, malty, a little hoppy. Medium body and a slight metallic finish.

I wanted to rate this now, even though it maybe be skewed by a bad beer. Will re-rate.

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%

Original Rating Date:
September 4, 2008

Nose in the bottle leads to a really odd, funky smell at first- like stinky feet. After the pour it opens up and smells a bit more of sour hops. Still not a great smell... reminds me of sour dog piss, no kidding. Nice bronze color to it, though. As long as I keep my nose away I can easily handle it- some good bitter, a bit sour hops. Sam Smith loves their ESB, and they do them well. This is an enjoyable beer but not a pale ale in the least. A bit tart, very malty. Average mouthfeel- what I expected. Another good brew from Samuel Smiths. I'm becoming an enormous Samuel Smiths fan, these are some high quality brews for no more than $3. Thumbs up.

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not my favourite, but i got a feeling that the place that served it hadn't cleaned there equipment for a while, coz it tasted off, so thats what my ratings based on.

2.43/5  rDev -37%

I have always been a big fan of Samuel Smith beers. Unfortunately the Old Brewery Pale Ale did not work for me. There was an undescribable flavor/taste to this particular S.S. that I just did not care for. I plan to stick with many of the other beers from their line.

2.16/5  rDev -44%

Well as with the other SS this is metallic and this is probably the worst. I must have been chewing my bronze gum while drinking this, note to self no more light SS. Anyway from this years gift set this beer was a nice copper taste, I mean color and a unforgiving metal taste that was only tolerable being chugged. It had a decent body and it smelled like a beer in a rusty can.

2.15/5  rDev -44.3%

When I took my first drink of this beer, I felt like I was sucking the smelt off of a copper mine. This beer has a bitter, unforgiving and relentless afterbite. More bitter than my ex girlfriend, and an aftertaste that haunts you like her memory, and will not go away. I needed crackers to remove the aftertaste. I needed therapy to remove her memory. I did not like this beer, not one bit.

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)