Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic) | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic)Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic)

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 691 | Ratings: 1,200
3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Small amount of fluffy head over a golden orange body. Nose is bready white toast with a faint fruity hop character. Flavor is the same as nose. Light bready flavor with a metallic sourness. Some fruity hops notes but I'm thrown off by this malty sourness. It doesn't taste infect but just a bad mix of malts. I drank the whole bottle but won't be buying this again.

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

Rests in the glass a misty dark amber with an off-white head that sticks with the pint all the way to the base of the glass. Smeel is sour - perhaps similar to white grapes - and has its own distinct bite. This pale ale starts incredibly smooth, light, and velvety but without much flavor. That changes as the beer settles full-bodied onto your tongue and presents a crisp flavor that at once resembles both lemon and berries over a solid matly base. Leaves the tongue dry, then semi-sweet with a metallic, sour, hop edge. Shockingly enough the aftertaste is actually pleasant.

Part of Liquor Barn's Ultimate Brew Crew Nov '06 - Pale Ales

The beer pours a dark orange with a tan head. The aroma is fairly malty with a hint of chocolate malt. Very little hop aroma. The flavor is also malty, with toffee and burnt malt flavors dominating. Medium body with little carbonation. Overall it's ok, a little light on the hops for me.

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

One of three out of the gift set. 550 ml bottle poured into the pint glass that came with the set.

Appearance: Clear reddish copper color with a 1 inch off white head with unimpressive retention. The head fell off quicker than i expected.

Smell: Mild to say the least. But i did detect caramel and slight whiff of fruit. Just a touch of alcohol smell as well.

Taste: A well balanced brew with slightly better ending. A fairly smooth and medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

Notes: A decently crafted beer, not one Sam Smith's best but interesting enough to give a try. For me, their Imperial stout is still my fav, also the Oatmeal ale (included this set) very good as well

[ serving type: bottle ]

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

A: bright clear copper. white head dies pretty quick but survives around the rim.

S: heavier on the malty side. the caramel is subtle, but definitely sweet smelling. hard to find any english hop aroma.

T: i would say this one is on the maltier side, but the hops do play a roll to keep the sweetness in check.

M: pretty moderate carbonation on this medium body.

D: eh, good but not great. maybe im just not a fan of EPA's but i cant really get stoked on this one. a little too sweet in my opinion.

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%

550ml bottle - Pourred a light brown brew with a nice head with short retention span. Powerful floral aroma coming out of my glass is wonderful. Taste is bit sour with great hops balance. Body is medium. Overall, this is an above average english pale ale.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Clear bottles creep me out and it seems the light got to this pale. It pours a nice dark brown with light streaks throughout, the head is off white and nice at first then settles to a line. No lacing on the glass. The smell is off the bat skunky, once you get past that you will detect caramel malts and syrup. The taste has hints of roasted grain and strong caramel sweetness, the floral hop is weak and doesn't blend the sweetness of the pale. A little over sweeted for my liking. Medium bodied, better from this brewery out there, better pale ale's as well.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance:

A clear brown with a huge white head that is slow to settle.

Smell:

Sadly the best description I can come up with is: smells like beer. There are some faint hops and malts, but nothing spectacular.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

I am disappointed in this offering from Sam Smith. It is smooth, but doesn't offer a lot of flavor, or leave you wanting more as the rest of their beverages do. A so-so beer from a spectacular brewer.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Aromas of vanilla, caramel, grass, floral hops, butterscotch.

Looks amber/red in colour. Average sized off-white head. Head fades down to a thin cover in about one minute. Good, fine lacing.

It tasted fairly well balanced. Lots of butterscotch, vanilla, and caramel flavours. Some herbal/grassy hop notes.

Mouthfeel was average with average carbonation, and it was medium bodied.

Overall, it's not the greatest English Pale Ale that I've ever had. It was alright though, not a bad Beer either. Probably one of the highest levels of diacetyl that I have been able to detect in a Beer, it is very obvious.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured with a light, amber-like color. Not much retention with patchy lacing. Yeasty aromas with hints of sweet berries and malts. The taste was quite dry and clean. Every sip had hints of hops but dissipated quickly. Crisp carbonation. Overall, not too bad.

Poured a deep copper/amber hue with a thin lacing of head. There was decent lacing.

The smell had a stong malt sweetness, similar to molasses or corn syrup. Little to no hop profile.

The taste was a bit more balanced than the smell. A clean rich sweet malt foundation, featuring subtle hop highlights.

The mouthfeel was clean and smooth. Nothing really exciting here.

Certainly a drinkable ale, but nothing that really holds my attention.

This one didn't impress me much, but it's drinkable. i have liked other Sam Smith's beers better. To be perfectly honest, I was steered to try this because "it was a perfect example of diacetyl." Now I can finally be certain of what they meant, and what that flavor is. I suppose it's not a bad taste, but it's not my favorite either. I certainly wouldn't turn down a glass of this, but I'll seek out other brews from this brewery in the future..

Drain pour! I couldn't even finish it....it must just be stale and old.....no date on it though, but it must be , considering the high reviews. It has a sour gross aftertaste! Hopefully I'll get to taste it again , but this particular bottle is a bit nasty.

2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured a dark copper color with a 1" off-white head that dissipated rather quickly and left no lace.
Smell was of floral hops and caramel malt with a slight skunkiness.
Taste: started with a sweet caramel flavor. Transitioned to a hefty bitter hops taste with a slight sourness. Finished strongly hoppy.
Feel: medium bodied with a rather soda-like carbonation feel.
The lingering bitter taste was not to my liking. Nor was the slight skunkiness. Not a bad beer but I've had better pale ales.

2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

Not too crazy about this one. Yeah, I didn't find any "technical" flaws with this beer, but I guess I just wasn't feeling the chalky flavor. The beer had an incredible alkaline tinge to it that coated every sip. Don't know if it was from the water or from the hops...

At any rate, I would much rather drink a nice citrus-hop flavored brew to complement some hard water rather than some stale, floral weak hops that cover up chalky-flavored beer.

Sorry limies. We do it better. ;-)

2.92/5  rDev -24%

The pour was a dark copper red with a two finger head that quickly dissapated and left a thin white ring around the top of the beer.

The smell was that of Heiniken, really, it was total skunk with only a hint of hop spice and malt.

The taste followed the smell drink for drink, until it warmed slightly. Once it warmed the mouth was filled with a lingering skunk.

Sorry I wasn't totally impressed with this beer. I could have gotten Heiniken for less money, but I didn't dog it because I like Heiniken.

2.91/5  rDev -24.2%

I have enjoyed just about every Samuel Smith's beer that I have tried previously, so I had very high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, I found the Pale Ale to be quite average.

It poured a nice copper color with a nice white head that diminished quickly, leaving a nice lace along the glass. The aroma seemed to be lacking as I could only faintly detect some sweet malts, possibly a butterscotch scent but virtually no hops. The taste was very bland as well as it had a subdued sweet malt taste, almost caramel-like flavor up-front and slightly hoppy on the back end. There was not a lot going on with the way of mouth-feel, possibly a little dryish.

Overall, I would classify this as a very average Pale Ale. As far as drinkability is concerned, it goes down extremely smooth but there doesn't appear to be much going on in the way of complexities here.

2.91/5  rDev -24.2%

Damn SS and these clear glass bottles...pray I don't get a skunked beer here.

Appearance: Pours the color of a cream ale, with a thick off-white head that billows and sticks to the walls of the glass. No carbonation but then I don't expect any.

Aroma: Unfortunately that skunkiness is there. After that comes the maltiness you expect from an English ale, with a light touch of hops.

Taste: Why, I don't know, but I taste...Heinz 57 sauce. Is that frickin' weird or what? I even washed my mouth out and tried it again...same thing. Curious. There's malt there too, and a VERY faint smack of hops.

Finishes clean enough with a thin mouthfeel. Pretty average by the standards of the style.

2.88/5  rDev -25%

Had this at Cafe Brio in Springfield IL with a medium-spicy order of chicken tacos (so to be fair, my palate may not have been totally "clean" when reviewing this beer). It was brought to the table with no pint glass, so I had to ask for one! Dude, WTF? For a nice restaurant that had a very decent beer list they sure didn't train thier waitstaff very well....the guy was very young and possibly new, and not everybody is as into beer as we BA's are, so I'll forgive and forget.

Once I did get the glass, I poured this beer somewhat aggressively and got a nice two finger head with several big bubbles in the midst of all the tiny foamy ones.

Not much scent going on here. Smells somewhat hoppy and sweet, but not as sniffable as other pale ales. I smell more earth malt tones than I'm used to in a pale ale.

Tastes good, but rather boring and bland. Again, more malt that I would have expected. Has a nice nutty or seedy aftertaste that is pretty damn smooth. This is decent, but it's just not really grabing my attention. There just isn't enough complexity to this beer.

Mouthfeel is also a bit watery, but really smooth and fairly drinkable...especially for those who are new to the craft beer scene.
or just don't like alot of complexity to thier beer.

I personally like a beer to grab me by the balls and beg for attention, and this one is really just not catching my interest. There is nothing bad about this one, but there isn't enough going on to really burn it into my memory. If you ask me what this beer is like a month from now, It will have passed from all memory and just be remembered as a decent pale ale. A really good thing about it though is that It might be a good ale to recomend to those just starting to make the cross-over from the macro world. It's not too intimidating, but for me that's not a good thing. Intimidate me...please!

2.88/5  rDev -25%

Pours a rich reddish copper with a very light tan head. Head is thick and a bit lacy. Aroma is lightly bitter and metallic.

Taste is a bit matallic and sweet pale malt. Creamy and smooth with a very mild body. Light hops finish. Very drinkable and pretty light-bodied. Nothing really special here.

2.86/5  rDev -25.5%

My bottle was slightly skunked (they love those clear bottles at Sam Smith's),but even that aside I was kind of disappointed at the quality, given how much I love their Oatmeal and Imperial Stouts. The aroma was malty and had a stale aspect to it. The flavor was lacking in hops but still managed some bitterness in the finish. All in all I expected better.

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours out into a samuel smith pint glass. Its a tonic dark red fire amber with orange licking the sides when held to light. A formidable off-white head that lasts at its inch and a half til drunk.

Smells a tad bready, some almond and soft leather, slight yeast and floral.

Tastes sweet at first touch with a hint of alcohol at the swallow. There is a little bit of bitter dough and an oh so slight metallic tinge, which is strange considering it goes from stone to glass to get here in the states. Not what you go for if you want an american pale ale. Mmm some citrus/strawberry hits further into the session.

Mouthfeel is lower to medium body with nothing sticking but a tannin feel on the back of the tongue, and again, i know this is taste oriented, but I'm getting iron flavors when focusing on the back of the feel. Light comfortable carbonation.

Semi easy to drink, it is not a beast in any way too powerful, nor is it too weak for any mention, but it really is just not that good. I'd recommend going a different direction when it comes to the purchase of this beer, but hey Sammy Smith has a great Imperial Porter as well as other brews much more lauded than this.

The price was reasonable, but I would not buy this beer again so I guess it is not worth it.

2.82/5  rDev -26.6%

A - Clear, dark auburn brew with a large foamy tan head. Carbonation is barely noticeable. Some lacing, but not much.

S - A light caramel malty aroma with hints of biscuits and some esters of elderberries and currants as well.

T - The flavor is initially of some light and biscuity malt, then it is joined by some sharp grassy hops that I would generally expect to find in a lager. The aftertaste is a bland, clean bitterness with only a faint lingering hop. A little unpleasant.

M - Eerily silky with a medium body and a harsh carbonation - like sand in the silk. Not very refreshing.

D - Pretty good. A classic English pale ale. I might have again, but I doubt it. It isn't really my style.

2.81/5  rDev -26.8%

Amber color, a bit darker, and with a decent head.
Faint smell of caramels, malt and vanilla.
Taste follows smell, sweet malty taste with caramels and vanilla. Flavor got a bit unpleasant after it warmed up, a bit soapy.
Light to medium body with low carbonation.
Malty beer, traditional English Pale ale, don’t look for complexity. Second time I tried and this one didn’t go well, maybe because I had it too warm, I will need to give it a new try.

2.8/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Pours a dark copper color with a 1 finger head that dissipates after a bit. Creamy looking head leaves some lacing.

S: Hints of sweet caramel and malts with a touch of chocolate in the background.

T: Crisp and carbonated. Malty body throughout the drink but lacking in a hops character.

A twist on what I was expecting for a pale. This being my first EPA i was sadly surprised at the lack of a hop character. The flavor profile was excellent but lacked in that citric bite. Glad I tried it but would probably not purchase again. Good brew Samuel Smith Old Brewery.

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (Organic) from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)