Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 3,890 |  Reviews: 1,477

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: A pretty mahogany brown with a substantial head, though that could be due to how the waiter poured it.

S: A crisp, smooth smell with some nuttiness there but a bit overly sweet.

T: The nuttiness was there but I couldn't get past how sweet it was. Honestly, thought it had a doppelbock level sweetness due to the high malt use.

M: Creamy and smooth, medium bodied. Probably the highlight of the beer to me.

O: The sweetness factor here was just too much for me.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Brown with hints of red in the spots where light shines through, very dark but not anywhere near a stout. There was almost no head, just a creamy ring running around the side of the glass and a few small bubble patches in the middle.

Smell: There is a strong malt character to this beer, and it does have a nice nutty presence to it. It actually shares a peculiar characteristic that with their Oatmeal Stout, I can't help but think it is related to the use of 'Yorkshire Stone Squares'. Very clean smelling and very intense maltiness.

Taste: A manifestation of the aroma in full form, you get that wonderful nutty character and a slight bitterness. There is also a slightly fruit like aftertaste that may be some lingering character from a subtle hop presence. The roasted, unmated barley also comes through in a wonderful way, paying excellent tribute to the nutty tones in this beer.

Mouthfeel: I have trouble thinking of a more unique and splendid mouthfeel to beer than what Sam Smith has showed me so far. Both their oatmeal stout and this beer have a very unique character to them that I find nowhere else in the realm of beer. This is not to mention the wonderfully crisp carbonation that opens up the palate to all of the characteristics of this beer.

Overall: Just a superb brown ale, the kind of thing that Sam Smith is so good at. There is nothing obscure or wild about this beer, it is just made with basic ingredients using old fashioned methods and the the result is a legendary nut brown ale. This is surely regarded as a classic to many and I will advocate for the same, so wonderfully simple and yet so unique. Sam Smith is a hell of a brewery.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a snifter. Finally trying this beer.

This is a crystal clear beer, which surprises me being a brown. That being said, it is beautiful. The one finger of light tan head that formed when I poured this is now (after a few minutes) a thin layer on the surface.

Smells like a piece of caramel nut chocolate. Enough said. Awesome.

The flavor displays an impressive interplay of chocolate malt, a distinct nuttiness, toasty lighter malt flavors, a touch of English hops and some rich caramel. It isn't very sweet (thank goodness!) which is often the downfall of brown ales in my opinion.

The mouthfeel seem slightly over carbonated to me, but then again I am sort of a cask ale guy. Overall the body is on the thin side for having this much flavor, but it is certainly traditional and where it "should be" (as far as I know).

Conclusion: Another great beer from Samuel Smith's!

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured into a Sam Smith pint glass (but of course!)

A: Pours a beautifully clear dark amber color, with a foamy two-finger light mocha colored head with mediocre retention and decent lacing.

S: Some caramel, toffee, and a bit of nuttiness. Plain and simple, I like the way it smells.

T: Truth be told, I'm not always a fan of the malt profile in most amber/brown ales, and this is no exception. Very biscuity flavor to me, and almost reminiscent of sourdough bread. Still, there is a touch of nuttiness on the back end which I like, and of course, the mineral-y hard water taste typical of Sam Smith beers.

M: Light carbonation, and honestly, it feels a bit flat and watery in the mouth. Could use a little less dryness in the finish. It reminds me of an Irish Stout in the mouth, which means A) I'm not blown away by its feel, and B) it would be a lot better on tap.

O: Not a big fan of this, to be frank, though I don't hate it at all. Probably my least favorite Samuel Smith beer to date, and not something I'd willingly go for in the future, unless I caught it on draft.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)