Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 3,873 |  Reviews: 1,473
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a pint glass it forms a one finger head that leaves moderate lacing. The appearance is brown and clear. The aroma is of spicy hops and malt. The taste is moderately bitter with slight malty sweetness. The feel is medium to light bodied with a perfectly clean finish.

This is a highly drinkable, enjoyable and delicious ale.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance - Not as dark as I expected, small but foamy head, looks decently carbonated in the glass. Head retention is ok, it is lacing my glass nicely.

Smell - Smells quite sweet, a bit brighter and less earthy than I was let on, but nevertheless smells good. Mainly malty and caramel type smells. Fruity aromas are present as well. Earthier aromas are easier to pick up once beer warms.

Taste - Clean and dry finish but leaves a nutty aroma in the mouth. I like how it leaves the taste in aroma rather than physical form. Slight tart corresponds with the fruity parts of the smell. A touch of bitterness. I don't feel like the tartness matches the other characters of the beer well though. I kind of wish the nutty flavor was more of a physical kiss than a "blown kiss" if I am making myself clear.

Mouthfeel - Medium to medium-low carbonation. Taste makes an appropriate entrance and leaves with good manners. Its a little thinner consistency than what I'd like from it though.

Drinkability - This beer has a lot going for it, other than the tartness which doesn't seem to fit. The tartness doesn't overstay though. I guess thats the main thing thats holding this beer back to me. I don't think I'll be having another one of these, but I will continue to explore this style.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 550 ML bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep brown with 2 giners of off white head. Nice lacing and little carbonation.

s - Smells of roasted malts, nuts, bready malts, and caramel.

t - Tastes of caramel, some bready malts, and nuts again. Nice mixture.

m - Smooth and easy to drink. Medium body and almost no carbonation.

d - An above average brown ale. Nice malty/caramel taste to it. Would have liked a little more carbonation. Would have again.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy brown color with nice cap of cream colored head with good retention and lacing. Smell is forward of carmel malts, roasted nuts, faint hints of buttery biscuits and slightly astringent. Taste up front is slightly astrigent, moving into a nice blend of mellow carmel malts (not very sweet) with a nice roasted nut charachter, bitter earthy hops round out the taste. Medium bodied, excellent cask like feel. A nice beer with a few muddled, earthy flavors, could have kicked up the malts just a touch.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Consumed 3-23-10 from a pint glass. Best by data Sept. ยด10.

This seems like a good choice for my 100th beer.

A - Less than one finger of a light beige head. Not really nut color more like a nutty fruit cheese color. the beer itself was a bubbling golden walnut brown. Afterwards there was some nice lacing that sparkled like a crystal.

S - Initially airy and very softly caramel and maple syrup. After warming it became sweeter with butterscotch and bourbon corn notes.

T - A bit too sour honestly. There is a bit of the intenseness of green walnuts. Unripe and inky. This left a sourly bitter aftertaste like dead yeast. The caramel malts were nice but the balsamic vinegar flavors seemed un-intentional

M - A bit loose and hollow. The carbonation gives a bit of crispness.

D - This is a pleasant drinkable beer. But there seems to be a lot of inconsistency from one batch to the next.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

A- dark brown, very clear, off white head that disappears quickly
S- green apples, apricot, dried figs, pumpkin pie spice, hints of licorice
T- nice malt backbone, walnuts, wood, green apples, upfront bitterness quickly disappears
M- med body, appropriate carbonation
D- very smooth complementing flavors, nice session beer

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Glass - Pint

A - Clear red/dark brown color with a 1-2 finger off white head, didn't stick around at all. Lacing, not much at all but the a nice ring of foam stuck around till the end.

S - Bold nuttiness with notes of butter, pretty dry as well with some semi bight apple notes and cracker. Simple and still inviting.

T - Very nutty with traces of butter throughout, wonderful biscuit & toast finishes with more buttery & nuttiness. Soft bitterness balances it all out.

M - Lite-moderate crispness, slightly thin feel and goes down easy. Lite bodied, compliments flavor profile perfectly! I love the feel.

D - Wow, does this brewery make a bad beer? Just flawless, simple, refreshing, delicious and very drinkable. I could down a 6pack of this brew, just so nutty and buttery, ahh, very very good. I definitely recommend this one, and I would buy another for sure. Cheers!

3.99/5  rDev -2%

Bought from my local Wilmington, NC Harris Teeter. Although seemingly a fairly common beer, this baby got high marks, so had to give her a try.

Looks delicious from the pour. Frothy, foamy. Nice color and huge head. I drank this beer in two pours, and on the second one I intentionally poured it a big ol' head just to see what kind of lacing we were working with here. It didn't disappoint. NICE.

The smell. Now, I think I'm working with a bit of a cold right now, but I must say, I was NOT impressed. I can't pick up much of anything! I smell something sweet, perhaps caramel hints. Maybe a bit of chocolate, I don't know. There's definitely some sweet malt there, but it's a little hard for me to pick up on.

Everyone says taste and smell are closely intertwined, but I'm going to have to differ on this beer. The taste is MUCH better than the smell. It's sweet, but not too sweet. The first taste is mildly bitter, but it finishes sweetly, and leaves an aftertaste similar to that of dark chocolate. I love dark chocolate, and thusly this beer tastes great to me.

I thought the carbonation wasn't too overbearing. I usually like bears with a lot of carbonation, but I think that for an English Brown Ale I like less so I can get a better idea of the taste. Yes, I am Captain Obvious, but I felt like it needed to be said.

This beer was $3.99 for a 550 mL bottle, so being broke and in school, I won't be drinking it often. But I'm glad I got a shot at trying it, and I think it was quite worth it.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

550mL bottle, $3.89 at the Beverage King in West Lebanon NH. Poured into a chilled pint glass.

Reddish brown mahogany brew, 1 finger of ecru head settles to whisps and large bubbles. Huge nose of bread pudding, apple cider, yeast, raw malt, slight banana ester. Very raw smelling, as if it were still fermenting. Taste is unexpected, dominated by fruit juice... apple cider and grape juice. Actually, it reminds me very much of the catawba grape wines I've had in the Finger Lakes. Behind that is a moderate backbone of malt that gives it the mouthfeel of a beer. Also detect caramel, melon, citrus. Grape wine lingers in the aftertaste. Nothing at all like I expected. Very surprising, but not necessarily bad. Trying to wrap my head around it. I'll have to get another bottle in order to see if this is a fluke. If it isn't I'll enjoy the weirdness again.

EDIT: got a second bottle from a different store (so more likely to be from a different batch). This time around the brew lacks the huge fruity aspects I noted before. Instead, it has a sour edge to it with S/T notes of walnut or hazelnut. Much more like a brown ale than before, more like what I expected. Seems to be some significant variation between bottles/ batches.

4.6/5  rDev +13%

A: Great reddish brown with a cream-white head that is super thick and lacing all the way down the glass

S: big aroma of fresh baked breads with some really nice semi-sweet chocolate notes in there. There is a malty sweetness in the smell

T: There is rich maltiness right off the bat that's quickly followed by a variety of chocolate covered fruits. There are subtle dark fruit flavors (prune, raison) but I am getting a good dose of grape fruit in here as well. The entire palate is also filled with a biscuity backbone from the likely british pale malt base grain. This is a very complex beer. Although, admitidely, the description sounds odd, it works very well

M: A bit thin, but that lends itself to some serious drinkability. Very good dry finish that leaves the palate wanting more.

D: As noted above, this is top quality on the drinkability scale. World-class example of the style. Best nut brown I've had, hands down!

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark amber with a light tan head. The initial aroma is very nutty, but light at the same time...pleasant. Tastes VERY nutty...almost (don't kill me for saying this) cola-esque. Regardless, its a totally awesome taste and I love it. Ridiculously light, and I could definitely see myself pounding back a ton of these in an evening if I wasn't poor. This is actually the first brown ale I've ever had, and I want more. Its that good.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

A - Clear deep chestnut brown with a good sized foamy off-white head. Nice retention settling into a nice lacing.

S - Nutty and a good amount of toasted malt, grain, caramel, and toffee. A bit of English hops, mostly herbal and some earthiness.

T - A lot of nutty flavor is present throughout the sip. Along with that is a slight earthy taste too. Starting off the sip is a fair amount of toasted malt along with some caramel and toffee as well as some grain. This weakens and the nutty earthy taste comes more to the forefront. This gives it a slightly bitter taste that finishes pretty dry. Slight mineral taste on the finish as well.

M - Medium to full body with slightly above average carbonation. Pretty smooth and a drying finish.

D - Nice drinkability that goes down easy and is well balanced in regards to flavors.

Notes: A nice brown ale that is slightly sweet with the malts and slightly bitter. Good amount of nut flavors as the name suggests. Easy drinker and a solid everyday kind of beer.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Dark orange, effervescent, big head and great lacing. A mouth watering appearance on such a drinkable beer...

S: Bitter malts in the English style.

T: Very malty and earthy. Clean tasting and refreshing. Light, but not too. A beer fit for all seasons.

M: Great feel, carbonation. Very smooth.

D: A great beer to session, and very easily attainable.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

A: expected color of a brown ale. medium/dark caramel color with a little haze.

S: roasted malts with a hint of nuttiness (if thats a word haha) not a whole lot of hops coming through at all probably covered with the distinct roasted smell.

T: very good. typical of a nut brown but probably a little above the norm. good roasted flavor with a slight bitterness on the tail-end.

M: slightly heavier body than I expected with only 5% abv but still good.

D: very drinkable nut brown. could have 4 or 5 no problem.

Overall: good beer, nothing over the top but a good drinking beer.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Honestly, I am very surprised to see that I haven't reviewed a single Samuel Smith's, ever? I have had this several times, and has probably stuck out as my favorite beer/ale from them maybe with the OS.

I always liked the look of their good quality, simple bottles.

Also, I always remember these bottles tricking me, because they are so thick it always seems there is more than there actually is. A often cause for disappointment. They are good quality though, probably one of the thickest bottles I've seen.

Into my Duvel. One thick finger worth of dense and just great, rich looking, creamy tan head just that stays around for a good while and died to a creamy even layer floating on top. Cherry hazelnut in color. Just a beautiful color, really adds to the look of this great ale. Not a whole lot of lacing but its dense and clings sparingly. Some speckles scattered around the sides.

Another amazing quality of this beer, just a solid creation. The nose is a sweet almost candied..maybe pecan? With a great creamy maltiness. I also detect a light sweet honey, and maybe a light roasted quality to it, too. After warming, a syrup, almost molasses, comes through.

Lost of nuttiness and maltiness. Somewhat stout. Has a great nutty finish that lingers. Along with the nuttiness I also can't help tasting a woody flavor along side. Taste is similar to what was described in the smell.

Full/medium bodied, and just super smooth. Probably the high point, along with the taste that are just superior. Mouth filling, almost expanding and coating. Finish lingers on and on. It leaves you wanting to take another sip as soon as you take one. Just absolutley amazing.

Overall, this is probably my number one pick from SS's. An all around great offering that I would suggest to pretty much anyone that drinks beer. I think the average non-craft beer drinker might even find this enjoyable, that is if they have taste. I couldn't imagine saying this beer isn't good.

On a side note, WOAH! Strange, I just grabbed the bottle and almost took a sip. Very odd and rare occasion that happens. Memories and repetitive actions of the past..

Picked up as a single from Save-On in Mentor, OH. for $2.25 for a 12 oz. bottle. Poured at fridge temp into my SA glass. Huge ecru colored head that is thick and foamy, about the consistency of shaving cream. Good head retention. Lacing is minimal, but some is left on a swirl. Color is a leathery-copper; a translucent brown that looks great capped with that huge foamy head.

Nose is very malty, with lots of bread and bready-yeast and caramel notes.

Taste is similar to the nose, in that malts are up front and center. Caramel and toffe come to mind, along with hearty bread. Hops are not noticeable, but apparently there is enough in there to keep this from being cloyingly sweet. A lively carbonation gives this a medium mouthfeel, and refreshing taste. Drinkability is good .. I could easily do 2 or 3 of these in an evening of quaffing.

If you are looking for the quitessential Nut Brown, look no further than Samuel Smith's. This will not disappoint. Recommended!

Na Zdravje!

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a very clear deep amber-brown color. Very few bubbles with a full creamy white head. A really exceptional looking brown ale.

Very sweet nutty and toasted malt aroma with some nice caramel mixed in. Only the slightest hop aroma.

Again, very sweet nutty, toasted malt and caramel flavors. A really nice subtle roasted flavor in the background. Very little hop bitterness. A perfect english brown ale.

Has a smooth and creamy texture, despite being thin. A little carbonation tingle with a clean, slightly dry finish.

A very flavorful, rich malty beer. Has some nice complexity, but not complicated. A great easy drinking session beer.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

2/27
Appearance - Pours a bright, clear mahogany and is topped with a cream-colored, fluffy 2-finger head. Splotchy lacing.
Smell - Predominantly sweet, caramel malts.
Taste - Similar to the smell, but more accurately described as a sweet nuttiness.
Mouthfeel - Light-medium body with fine, scrubbing carbonation.
Drinkability - Quite drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

To be fair, I have a soft spot for Sammy Smith's beers from my underage days when my friends and I would go to New York City and get served underage and drink these.

Serving type: Bottle from the four pack

Appearance: Dark brown

Aroma: Nutty and malty

Taste: THIS IS IT!!! Exectional taste and character. Smooth with a creamy texture yet also sweet at the beginning and then ends with that dry nutty taste.

Drinkability: Awesome is what comes to mind. So easy to drink.

Overall: All other nut brown ales should bow to this offering from Samuel Smiths. It is everything an English nut brown ale should be. Exceptional character with a remarkable taste. I actually knew then what I know now and that is quality. Only wish I could find it on tap at a reputable establishment in the New York/Philly area.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Light brown body with tints of amber; medium tan head that sticks nicely.

S- Semi-sweet malts and pretty nutty.

T- A semi-seet malt profile with notes of butterscotch and nuts. Just enough hops to keep it balanced.

M- Medium to thin body with an easy carbonation.

D- A really easy drinking beer; could go well with a lot of different foods.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Aroma has a sweet caramel quality to it, with a bit of roasted malts in the background. Pretty restrained overall, but nice.

Pours a nice, brown complexion in the glass...pretty clear. Nice, rocky head was present.

Taste has a good flavor profile that isn't in your face, but is certainly present and balanced. Upfront, there's a presence of restrained caramel malts with a note of roasted malts intertwining. Taste a bit "mineral-y" and metallic as well...maybe it's the well water. The nuttiness shows up in a very restrained fashioned after that...in a lesser strength than in many other nut browns. Lastly, there's a small but crisp hop bitterness from the English hops that closes it out rather nicely.

This is definitely a classic and perhaps the definitive beer of the style. It's extremely drinkable and has good balance. The malts upfront with the nice English hoppiness in the back works well. I would like to see a more pronounced nuttiness from a nut brown ale, however.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: Clear light brown, good head.

Smell: Fruity, malty.

Taste: Toast, toffee, a little dark fruit, and a little nuttiness.

Drinkability: Could a be session beer, mild flavors and easy to drink.

#3 from the sampler pack is the Nut Brown Ale. A lot less nut flavor than I expected, it was more of a secondary flavor. Kind of a "generic" brown, I'd rather have a more adventurous beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

550ml bottle into an oversized pint glass--mahogany with hints of orange around the edges, with a monstrous, frothy tan head that faded down to about 1/2 inch with plentiful lacing.

Nose is good but not overpowering, roasty malts, hints of walnuts, and something I can only describe as a spicy apple butter.

Taste improves on the nose. Earthy, nutty as expected, a malted sweetness that gave way to just the slightest bitterness. Only got better over time.

Feels great in the mouth, not overly thick, smooth and slightly creamy. Very pleasant aftertaste.

Extremely drinkable. I understand now why this beer is so highly rated. At this ABV, could easily drink several of these at a sitting.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a pint glass

A- Tan, off white head; body is dark reddish amber with tangerine highlights

S- Heavy toffee, faint scent of strong cheese, light hops, earthy, light bitter chocolate, hint of vanilla and caramel, almonds

T- Smooth, leading to light bitterness; roasted grain and a tiny hint of malty sweetness

M- Light, rolls down the tongue. Very smooth.

D- Slides down the palate perhaps too easily. I can see getting extremely drunk off this beer.

3.66/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- pours a dark cooper/amber color with a nice, light linering head that settles to leave some nice lacing as u drink tihs beer down.

S- Carmel, sweet maltiness is predominant. with hints of nuts, caramel and earthy hops. very pleaseing aroma, but not overly powerful.

T- taste is very similar to the smell on this beer. caramel sweetness up front with some nutines to it. finishes with a very slight, earthy hop bitterness.

M/D- medium bodied and creamy, not overly carbonated. good mouthfeel and drinkability. good session brown.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)