Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,472 | Ratings: 3,859
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Nut Brown pours a garnet hued brown color and appears quite clear when held up to a light. The head is light tan in color and has very nice retention, leaving splashy lace on the glass.

The aroma is quite malty with a good amount of toffee and caramel as well as some pecan like notes and a bit of fruity character. Just a touch of herbal hops come into play as well, but the malt really rules the aroma in this beer.

Much like in the aroma, the malt is the main player in this beer. It is very sweet with an extremely rich mix of caramel, toffee, nuts, fruitcake, cocoa and brown sugar. The earthy herbal hops are present but fairly well buried, though their bitterness keeps this brew from going off the deep end with the malt sweetness.

The body is medium with a bit more carbonation than I think I would care for. The beer also seems to have a bit of a watery character to it, which is quite surprising given the maltiness. I think the hops may be most apparent on the fairly dry finish.

Overall this beer was not really my cup of tea. I think it mostly boiled down to the fact that I did not really care for the malt character it had to offer. It was still a decent beer and no doubt a pretty classic example from a brewery that has been around for a very long time.

3.46/5  rDev -15.2%

This is my first reveiw of a beer. All and All I have to say it tastes much like most brown ales. The flavor is smooth and it is drinkable, but so are all brown ales. I gave it an average rateing because nothing deffertiates this beer from the others I've tried ( although until recently my experience has been whofully limited). I can honestly I don't yet understand all the terms that most of you use, but it looks a dark brown amber in the glass. It smells like it tastes. Its bitter when it first touches the tongue, and then becomes smother the longer it's held there. As for drinkability I would choose this before some but after some. Please bare with my reveiws, as I am new to this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Deep amber color with white to caramel strong head

S - Nuts and yeast bread smell with a creamy after scent

T - very creamy start with a nutty after taste to balance

M - good body with nice flow

D - this is a good beer for certain situations but wouldnt always be quenching

Picked this up at a Fresh Harvest store in Nacogdoches and poured it into a pint glass. It is a unique brown ale to me in both taste and color.

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

This was an okay beer, just too sweet for me and not the taste I was looking for. Had a sweet strong honey taste. I enjoy the oatmeal stout much more. Glad I only bought one bottle of this to sample. Priced too high for the rather average amount of ABV.

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Brown ales aren't my favorite and I am usually biased but I liked this enough to have more than one.
Sienna hue with a slight ring on the crown with no lace to see. Smelled roasted nuts, perhaps toffee and a slight coffee charcter. A bitterness comes out at first bt is soon smoothed out with hints of caramel and coffee. Althoug average the mouth feel was pleasently smooth with a small slickness left afterwards.

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%

550mL bottle purchased from LCBO in Toronto. I'm generally bored silly with nut brown ales, and am hoping this one can break the trend. Pours a clear medium brown with little head. Weak aroma of nothing much. Flavour starts out with a medium maltiness that quickly gives way to a quite nice tang that lingers throughout the aftertaste. Medium bodied. That tangy finish keeps me coming back. A nut brown ale I like!

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a light tan, three finger head, fades slowly and leaves a good lace. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Deep, clear amber color. Nose is not distinguishable. Starts with a light mellow sweetness and finishes with a good balance of malts and hops. $2.32 for a 12oz bottle from Northend Superette Manchester, NH.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

pours a clear dark amber with a light tan head that quickly recedes. The nose is of malt, nut, and slight alcohol. Upon first taste there is sweet malt, changing into an slightly unpleasant acidic hoppiness that lingers until the finish. Honestly, not impressive in my opinion. Bold, but wanting. Could use more malt, and the balance is a bit off. Mouthfeel is chewy and lightly bubbly, very suiting for the style. Drinkable in most occasions, but not particularly pleasurable.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

So I've gotten this several times and never taken the time to review it, I remember really liking it in the past, but felt that it took me awhile to like this one. I pours a nice brown/amber color with a foamy head. A little lacing but not much. The smell seems a bit overwhelming at first but it goes away pretty quick. You can really smell the caramelized malts and not really the hops so much. It tastes really good, not as hoppy as one would expect but you can taste it in the aftertaste, the malts are good, very strong. One thing that bothered me a bit is it wasn't a very "drinkable" beer. Most ales I really like to drink at a colder temperature, but this one I think tastes best at almost room temperature. Overall I really like this beer, however it doesn't always taste the same each time, which makes me question how fresh it is when I get it. I'd love to give it a try on tap sometime.

PS- I had to get something in the kitchen and my dog got into my glass and took a couple of sips, he wasn't used to it, but I think he gave it a B+

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Burgandy, caramel color. Malty smell, thick, tan, lasting head. Deep roasted nutty and malty flavor, with some bitterness to balance it out. Very smooth. Nicely carbonated. Lasting roasted aftertaste, and easy to drink. This is a good brown ale overall.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer has a nice brown color with reddish hues. Only a small head that goes away very quickly. On the nose, I get some faint maltiness, maybe some nutty characteristics pretty much what I would expect to find in a Brown Ale. The taste is pretty good, I get the nuttiness, with some malt and a nice hoppy finish. The mouth feel is oily and bubbly. I could drink a few of these in a sitting.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Dark amber body with two fingers of light tan foam. Clarity is very good and lacing about 40%.

Nose is dominated by nutty phenols and Tadaster yeast.

Entry shows fizzy carbonation while the midtaste sports a light, earthy malt body and a crisp, hop finish. Dry toasted malts sit nicely on the tongue following the finish.

Overall, this is just what I expected...a solid Nut Brown with many redeeming qualities that I would never turn down in a social setting.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a light brown color with a cloudy two inch head. Good head retention with some lacing.

Has a dark chocolate smell to it, nutty, roasted malts, toffe like

A hint of roasted malts up front, hint of sweet dark chocolate.

Smooth, medium body, light carbonation, not enough flavor, kinda watery

3.42/5  rDev -16.2%

Relatively pale amber-brown in color, with a huge head of foam. Lacing is definitely present, but not too ornate or detailed.

Nose is musty, yeasty, and very reminiscent of Fall leaves, with roasted nuts hinted at. Very malty presence, with a hint of roast.

This brew is unusually thin-bodied, and very light, yet full of flavor. Initially, this comes across as sweet up front, with an almost sour hops finish. Overall, an easy-to-drink brown ale, but not as good as I'd hoped.

3.42/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

02/23/2012
Clean Aroma…nothing sticks out….maybe too cold. Opaque Copper appearance. Small but lasting head, Feel is Leathery, but smooth.
07/23/2016
Side by side Brown Ale tasting:

1. DuClaw x11 Mesquite Smoked Brown Ale
2. Rogue Hazelnut Nectar (4.01)
3. Clown Shoes Brown Angel (3.99)
4. Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale (3.42)
5. DuClaw Euforia
6. Voodoo Wynonna's Big Brown Ale

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

A- Mahogony with a hint of red.

S- Very basic. Nutty and malty aromatics.

T- Well made and it shows. Nuts and slightly
roasted flavors. Somewhat rich.

M- Effervesscent, balanced.

O- A perfect example of English brown ale. A great balance of malt and hops. Would be sessionable if not for the large bottle.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Deep chestnut colour, with a thick and creamy head that leaves lots of lace on the glass. Beauuuutiful.

Some apple fruitiness on the nose, with a slight hint of hops. Lots of malt, obviously. It has that Sam Smith appley sweetness that I find in their oatmeal stout as well. Some nutty malt, but I taste more fruitiness than nuts. Lots of citrus as weelll. A good bitterness balances it all out.

In the mouth it feels fresh, tart, and medium-light with a smooth dry finish. It's good, but I find it more appley than nutty. Hm. I would never describe this as a nutty ale. Weird, and kind of disappointing.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Although this beer calls itself a nut brown I would call is more of a dark amber. Has an off white head sitting on top. Smell is of malt and esters but there is a sulfury note reminincent of wine and an unpleasant one at that. Taste is of roasty malt throughout. Hops are there for bitterness only. There is a slight fruity ester with a winey acidic twang but very mild. Moderately carbonated and thick syrupy body. As it is very mild on the palate it could make a great session beer.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Pours from the 550 ml clear bottle into a pint glass a medium brown, redddish brown when held to the light. Unusually big, off white, head, nearly two inches. Lingers for a while before falling to a thick covering. Left only spotty lace.

Smell: Mostly malt, sweet, not roasted. Some caramel aroma. Also some skunky scent when the bottle is sniffed. I didn't really notice it once it is poured into the glass, I guess it is less concentrated. Overall, a rather lackluster scent.

Taste: Mostly malt, rather sweet. Caramel flavor is present, somwhat nutty. Very little bitterness to this. I'm feeling rather let down, maybe I expected too much, its just really mild.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth, with some carbonation.

Drinkability: Sure its easy drinking, but I'm just not thrilled by it. While I would not hesitate to have the Oatmeal Stout, this one I will not rush out to get again. Somewhat disappointed by it.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Ruby-tinted brown w/ an ever so slight head and a consistent lace.
S: Mild with a slight (Suprise!) nuttty smell.
T&M: Very nice. Has a slight sweet syrupy taste, but it tends to be a bit too carbonated in it's overall taste.
D: 2-3 in any one setting. The sweetness does it in for me. I prefer to to be killed by roughness when it comes to brews.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance - Pours out of the bottle dark brown with little to no foam and no lace in the glass.

Aroma - Somewhat nutty, not much else.

Taste - Somewhat nutty, but very mild. Okay, not a lot of flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Proper carbonation.

Drinkability - Is decent for drinkability. I don't know that I would buy another 4 pack anytime soon, but maybe I would buy a bottle in a bar.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Maybe I had an odd experience with this or I just wasn't in the mood to try this for the first time. I feel a little strange giving it a less than stellar review when most people seem truly blown away by this beer. It was everything I expected I guess, nutty, caramelly and sticky in feel. Nice deep brown in color. I just really didn't enjoy the taste that much, I drank half a bottle and didn't really want the rest. I also had it with a meal (mexican) and this was probably poor planning. I'll try it again in better circumstances.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

550 mL bottle served cool into a pint glass.

Nut Brown Ale is a dark brown beer with redish highlights. It has great clarity and creamy light-tan colored head. As the head settles it leave some nice lacing behind.

Aroma is malty and sweet with a definate apple quality.

Taste is similar. More like a nutty apple cider. For the most part, very mild but with a little tart apple and caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with low carbonation.

Overall a disappointment. It's just not very good.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance : Walnut colored pour with 80% opacity, nodes of red mahogany glow through when held up to the light. The absence of head really knocks this down a notch though. I don't know why it didn't form, I even poured it from Thulsa Doom into a Sierra Nevada pint glass, along with the rest of the bottle, and no head formed. Guess it's just the nature of this beer.

Smell : Some slight antiseptic with nutty brown aromas, walnut, chocolate, and a string of yeast. Slight chocolate fades out the nose. Bouquet is weak to medium strength.

Taste : A pretty balanced body, not too malty, dare I say a bit much hop, but only compared to other brown ales. Lots of nut - walnut, pecan, acorn, peanut hull. Slight malty chocolate lays out like a fitted sheet and is able to wrap everything up as it washes down. Plant, cocoa dust, and hop sits on the tongue after the finish.

Feel : Quite a bit of buzz from the carbonation, light to medium bodied, and a bit of pucker and sour from the yeast. Finishes out slightly puckered and quarter-dry.

Overall : Not the knockout I thought it would be. The quintessential Brown Ale for me is the Big Sky Moose Drool Ale. This one of course is more English in nature, but still not an explosive ale by any means. I feel bad rating such an acclaimed ale so low, but it's possible I got a dud. Or, maybe this just isn't my kind of Brown Ale. Either way, with so many good beers out there, I'll pass on this next time.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Appeared a dark rust color in my pint glass with a soft, off-white colored head that left quickly and left behind some lacing. Low level of carbonation is present. Aromas of pine nuts, peanuts, and fruit juice seemed apparent to me. The taste was a bit sweeter than I expected with fruity undertones that contrasted nicely with the bitter flavors in the beer. Relatively thin in my mouth without a comprehensive texture or feel. A bit sour in the aftertaste. I had one of these and that's all I wanted for quite awile.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)