Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,471 | Ratings: 3,851
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow...this is a great beer.

It poured a deep brown with a little red, a big frothy head, and lots of lacing. The aroma was nutty and malty, just as one might expect. The taste really can't get much better - well-rounded flavors and just the right amount of hops. It had sufficient body and a decently long finish. Very enjoyable.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass, color is a dark auburn, the head is about a finger thick and doesn't last long.

The initial smell is of baked raisin bread mixed with spices, and it finishes with a citrus note.

The taste is exceptional. The beer has a citrus tang to match the smell, balanced with a coffee sweetness for balance. It is effervescent and has a dry finish.

Mouth feel is medium, plenty of carbonation, with a resin like feel to finish.

This beer is dangerously drinkable. The taste and mouthfeel are superb and it would complement a starchy meal like pasta.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (gold foil around the top) into a pint glass. Unsure of the freshness, although I saw employees unloading bundles of this, so I'm guessing it's pretty fresh.

Pours a dark brown, about a one finger head that's a dirty brown color. Very creamy and nice dish soap like lacing. On first sip it seems very sweet and creamy. Also seems to have a hint of chocolate in there. Medium bodied with maybe just a faint hint of hops right before you swallow. Finishes crisp and refreshing, I would love to drink many of these. It has a light carbonation and seems to have no sent of the alcohol in it, very smooth.

Overall a great brew, highly recommend it!

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

I have had this beer before and love it - however, now that I come around to review it I find that I got a bad bottle of it.. must be on the older side.. noticeable skunkiness and this is in a brown bottle so that means it has to just be old.. it also is a little bit spoiled tasting.. but for the most part i get the general flavor profile so i will proceed..
this is a sweet complex brown ale with a noticeable nutiness (hence the name).. this is a typical english complex malt with light floral hops sort of beer.. everything about this beer is just about perfect.. nice complexity, a slight crispness that evens off the sweetness also a touch of delightful bitter roastiness.. if you have tried newcastle you should deffinately try this to see the difference.. it is truly a revelation - everything a brown ale should be.. and despite the bad bottle.. this at least brings back memories of all the pleasant past experiences I have had with this and other samuel smith beers.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

I really like this not so distinguished beer. The classic nut brown malt, chocolate and smoky nut flavors. While this may be a bit thin for the purist this is a great everyday beer with a good combination of alcohol, bitterness and blend of ingredients. A good card playing brew if there ever was one.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Poured from an undated 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance = Nice copper color. Clean. Two fingers worth of tan/off-white head, goes down to lace. Can see nice amount of small carbonation bubbles.

Smell = Caramel; toffee; nutty, malty sweetness. Some hops and a bit of alcohol as the beer warms.

Taste = Similar to smell, with some hazelnut in there. Some hop bitterness comes in on the finish to provide a nice balance. A hint of alcohol as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel = Fairly smooth. Medium body. I'd say low to medium carbonation.

Drinkability = Pleasant, easy to drink. I wouldn't mind having a couple of these in a sitting. I've only had a few brown ales, but this one is the best of them so far.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A good low alcohol brown ale with a rich maltiness and complex flavor that never fails to please. A lot of brown ales have a high alcohol content which takes away from the malt flavor but not in this case. This is a beer that lets those malty and nutty flavors come through.

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

Presentation: 550 ml brown embossed bottle that has gold foil on top, no freshness date to be found, but daycode stamped on bottle.

Appearance: deep reddish amber hue, tan foamy 1 finger head in a pint glass.

Smell: sweet nutty aroma, slight carmel.

Taste: smooth very creamy textured. sweet up front then leaning more towards dryish nutty finish.

Notes: my first 'nut' brown ale, like a new castle on a nut diet...exceptional

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

I loved the way this beer looked. A very nice dark red color with a little head from the pour. Just beautiful. The smell wasn't overwhelming to me, and I had a hard time getting much out of it, which left me a little disappointed. That disappointment was gone once I got a taste of this, though. I could definitely see why this beer was called a "Nut Brown Ale." You can definitely taste some roasted nuts along with some other fairly sweet undertones. Combine that with a great mouthfeel and you get a beer that I wish I had the opportunity to enjoy more often.

3.5/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was excited when I bought this beer. Boy was I disappointed afterwards though. Sam Smiths Brown Ale looks amazing when you poor it into a nice pint glass. The brown and reddish color looks great and tasty. When I took my first sip I was very disappointed. I'm not sure what it was about this Brown Ale, but it didn't sit well with me. I feel like this beer didn't have enough toffee or caramel taste for me. Something seemed to be missing from the taste. I kept drinking the beer hoping something would change, but it never did. I drank my whole pint because I didn't want to waste it, but I'll probably never buy this again.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer is one of my English favorites. Classic brown with more flavor than almost any craft made brown. Cool retro bottle and a classic label. Pours perfect and has a nose that makes you feel like your in a pub in England. Head is a tan color with white edges. Good carbonation, but not to much. The taste is rich smooth and caramel roasty treat. Perfect with roast meats. The water must be hard that they use in the brewing of this beer, the mouthfeel is solid. I had this beer years ago when I first started drinking good beer and the flavor too me back to those days when it was an adventure trying new beers. This beer is like going home. Highly recomended.

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

A - Dark brown with nice creamy head. Beautiful lacing.

S - Roasted nutty goodness. Not a hint of medicinal alcohol.

T - Wow. This really is THE BEST brown ale. Nutty perfection. No single flavor is overpowering.

M - Perfect --buttery with perfect carbonation.

D - If I had the cash to pay $12 a 4-pack, I could drink it nonstop until the last nail is in my coffin.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Aroma: Milk chocolate, almonds, tiniest hint of wood

Appearance: Semi-opaque, deep brown, hint of ruby, head forms medium-large bubbles, lacing is mild, foam is khaki colored

Taste: Delicious. Burnt chocolate, pumpernickel bread. Slight twang or apple underneath (seems to occur in all Sam Smith beers; hooray for open ferm)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation makes for a very sessionable and appetizing treat. Light and yet whole mouth feeling at the same time.

Overall: Another great Sammy Smith beer, great for drinking on any occasion. Just like having your cake and eating it too.

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

I haven't had this beer in a long, long, time and I am actually mad at myself for that at this very moment.

This is an absolutely incredible brown ale. I remember having this a number of years ago when I was much more of a novice taster, and as such, was kind of stuck in my ways and not capable of seeing the "bigger picture" and appreciating all styles.

A few years later, and now an avid enthusiast of all beer, I am coming back to this ale and I am blown away.

The appearance of this beer is just outstanding. A wonderful, deep brown with incredible head retention and lacing.

The aroma is nothing short of phenomenal. I get a lot of rich malts, fruits - raisins, dates, fig, a touch of molasses, a reminiscence of banana nut bread, butterscotch, and of course NUTS! To my own senses, I experience the nuttiness as a banana and walnut kind of thing, but that's just me. In any case, the aroma is just wonderful!

Taste - Oh my! How did I not appreciate this beer before? (I guess this proves to myself how much I've grown as a taster!) This is just an amazing brown ale. I can't get over it. Rich, malty, utterly satisfying. Wow!

Mouthfeel - perfect. No further comment

Drinkability - I can't believe I only bought one of these. I will be drinking this again tomorrow night.

Overall, this beer prompted a revelation for me. You should try it if you haven't already. Phenomenal!

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle in to a Samuel Smith imperial pint glass and allowed to warm slightly. (I had some head room left. So what? Wanna fight about it?)

A: Poured a gorgeous, clear amber/walnut color. Lots of little soda-like carbonation bubbles clinging to the whole inside of the glass. About 1 finger of tan head that recedes slowly, but does eventually go away completely. Large, foamy bubbles, and a little lacing. Pretty :-).

S: Smells very malty, there's a faint nutty aroma but nothing that stands out too much. It has a faint tinny/metallic aroma and a very light grassy hop character. Nothing offensive, but nothing to write home about either.

T: Plenty of caramel malt, walnuts/hazlenuts and a nice mild hop character in there. Not too much malt, nor too little. Not too much hop, nor too little. This is balanced to heck with very subtle flavors. Nothing stands out too strongly, but at the same time everything stands hand in hand. It does, however, feel like it's lacking a certain sweetness that I've come to expect in nut brown ales.

M: Smooth and crisp with a very delicate hop bitterness, extremely effervescent and bubbly but not overwhelmingly so. The only disappointment is that the finish seems muted somehow. After the swallow, you feel like something is going to linger and take you somewhere, then it dulls out in the middle. It's hard to describe.

D: Damned refreshing, and not too heavy on the alcohol content for all the balance it provides. All the flavors in here are extremely subtle and it just never really grows old on you. This is an extremely sessionable beer. It drinks like it ought to, and leaves you feeling pretty good about the next one.

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Dark ruby/brown color. 1 finger tan/white head. Very delicious looking. Perfect for a brown ale.

S- Nutty smell, with some malts, sugary even.

T- Smooth, creamy, malty. Just like a brown ale should taste. Hints of nuts, some hops on the finish. Again, perfect for the style.

M- Good balance of smoothness and carbonation.

D- Highly drinkable. Perfect Session beer. Could easily slug back 5-6 of these.

Other- THe perfect brown ale in my mind. A shining example of the style.

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a dark cherry/brown body with a nice big off white head. The nutty aroma caries a fruity hint with it. It has a nice light airy mouthfeel. Taste starts bitter fruity and finishes a smooth nutty finish. The fruit taste almost reminds me of a grape wine.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Nice maple syrup brown color, pour with a small amount of carbonation. Tastes of hazlenut, sweet, a little bit of malt taste. Almost a bit of a milk chocolate taste. Good dinner beer.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a nice dark amber-brown with a frothy tan head that dissolved at a mediocre rate.

Smelled like toasted golden malty goodness. A rich scent not too fragrant while no where near bland.

Taste. They gave this beer a good name. It is in fact like a toasted nutty ale. I sensed a slight spicyness that offered a bit of zing as well.

Mouthfeel was alright, not what I usually look for, the zing kicked a bit too much for me with the carbonation. Very light afterwards and it still held the flavor so that was nice although somewhat common.

I thought this was pretty drinkable. My large bottle went down fast, it didn't seem to be something to want to savor too long and it went down easy with a nice rich flavor and clean finish.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a dark golden color with minimal head. The beer has a smooth robust flavor with hints of chocolate, and had a pleasant light hops finish. The aroma of the beer was a little weak but not unpleasant. This is an easy drinking tasty beer, tastes alot like Killian's Irish Red in my opinon. My first experience with an English Brown, will definitely purchase this beer again.

4.73/5  rDev +16.2%

Wow what a beer. Just perfectly executed.

A--Poured into a pint glass generates a nice thick tan head. Body is a deep reddish chestnut brown. Holds sticky thick lacing all the way to the finish.

S--Notes of caramel and toffee with a dry roasted nutty finish.

T--Round warm caramel and toasty malts. Beautifully balanced with nice crisp hop notes which punctuate the body giving way to an anise or walnut finish that lasts forever. There is a certain round, full, smooth flavor that underpins the beer, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

M--medium body with a slightly dry finish.

D--At 5% a very sessionable beer, especially during the colder months. Complex yet straight forward and incredibly drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +13%

A - Very full, dark brown. Surprisingly translucent when held up to light.

S - Absolutely wonderful. Dark and rich with a mild coffee aroma holding everything together. My mouth was watering at first sniff.

T - Similar to, and just as good as, the smell. The malty backbone is complemented nicely by a sweet toasted nuttiness.

M - The weakest part of this brew. Not terrible, but it seemed a bit on the watery side for my palate.

D - Goes down easy, but it's quite heavy on the stomach; I couldn't drink more than one of these at a time.

Notes - If it was a little more thick, this would likely be one of my favorite all-time brews. As is, it's still an excellent way for me to embrace my inner Englishman.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

I fear this review brands me as a philistine. Or perhaps the bottle I had was gassed. Batch stamp, but no date. Poured at 45 degrees into a standard glass pub pint.

This ale sits pretty in the glass: thick, foamy head of not-fine bubbles, dark, aged copper body, carbonation roiling and welling up thickly as form a Deepwater-Horizon type blowout.

Delightful nose. All suggestion, nothing overpowering. Nutty, not very hoppy, some toasty malt. Created keen sense of expection.

Poof! Gone. Thin mouthfeel, swirling around in my piehole, waiting for a flavor epiphany, studying the reaction of my tastebuds, wondering when everything is going to kick in. Very dry, slightly hoppy, very little other sensation, and very fleeting at that. I don't have a cold or any taste malfunction: it's just that very little registered, with no finish to speak of. When it was down the hatch all traces of flavor went with it. Does that mean "clean"? That's why I think it might have been the bottle, sitting as a single in a shop fridge, for perhaps a long time.

It's very easy drinking. And I'll certainly give it another go on another day.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

brown ales are one of my favorites,
and this one is no exception.

smooth like a porter, with the delicious roasted flavor.

this is one of the few beers I could see myself drinking everyday,

I can only imagine how good this stuff is on tap.

if you're a fan of brown ales or porters,
I highly recommend you try this.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

New to drinking beer, so take this with a grain of salt. Smell was wonderful. Taste was very nutty at the start, then kinda of light and sweet on the finish. Other than 4pk for $12, it is a great beer. Not hoppy at all.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)