Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome AleSamuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale
Liked This Beer
3.67 w/ 2,208 ratings
Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome AleSamuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom

3.67/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,208 |  Reviews: 1,157
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: clear copper color , with a small white lace that remains as a ring.

Smell: some cake like malt , hint of raininbread , hint of alcohol , and very faint spice.

Taste: the malt has a mildly floral/ fruity taste at first , some fruitcake / bready maltiness , light caramel , hint of buttery diacetyl , balancing hop bitterness , and dry grain in the finish.

Mouthfeel: fairly carbonated

Drinkability: A good winter welcome brew to be had every winter season. Nice wintry feel , not quite sweet enough to make me want more than a couple.

3.84/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark copper with a one finger off white head that disappates quickly, with visable effervescence. Aroma is dried, sweet citrus fruit, caramel, biscuit, and orange marmalade. Flavor follows with biscuit, dried fruit, a touch of spice and earth from the fuggles and goldings, and a hint of orange marmalade on the finish. Mouthfeel is thin to medium, fairly light for a winter warmer type, but still nice with a lovely effervescent carbonation. Overall, this drinks more like a beefed up best bitter than a true winter warmer, but it is still decently complex, while still being very drinkable.

3.22/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Pale orange color and a small head with some lacing. Not much of a smell but some light buttery notes. Taste was straight forward with good balance but nothing really lumped out at me. Was really expecting something spicy and bold from a good brewery like SS, but was left feeling flat. I will save the rest of the 4 pack for my macro drinking guests who feel adventures this Christmas.

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%

From a 550ml bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a deep copper/amber color. Much lighter that I expected from a winter warmer. Has a nice two finger head that leaves good lace.

Smell is of some sugary malt and a bit vegetal.

Taste is malty. Sweet and vegetal. At least I think that is how you spell that word??

Overall, not bad, not good, somewhere in between. Easy to drink and has a nice malty quality that I like in winter beers. Not spiced and not dark like the new winter warmers I really enjoy.

Pours a dark coppy brown with a nice clarity. There was a decent sized head with sticky lacing.

Aroma reminded me of toasted almonds, brown sugar, cake and light hint of cinamon.

Taste is malty and mild.

Medium bodied with soft fluffy carbonation.

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

550 ml. clear bottle. 2002-2003 version listed on the lable.

A very winter feeling ale. I wish I was at a ski lodge by a fire drinking this one.

It pours a deep amber with a nice head that lasts. Excellent lacing. The picture of a ski slope map across my glass. Even the clear bottle had lacing in it after the final pour. Nice consistent bubbles float to the top. The scents give and airy grass and buttery malt to start with. A hint of pine cone but mostly malts.

The flavors are very heavy malts. Butterscotch and candied fruit. There is a sweet dough taste and some sour bread. I wish the hops were just a bit more present. There is a pine flavor but it gets bounced by the malts. A good buttery and caramel aftertaste. If you are a malt-o-phile this is a great ale for you. I like it but I want a bit more hops.

A deep sticky mouthfeel. It is sweet on the tongue. It leaves an oily quality. Easy to drink and I recommend this as a sipping ale.

I liked this offering. I did not love it. It is I have to be in the mood to drink it ale. It would go great with a cigar on a cold night.

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

2006 bottle gifted from LCBO in Toronto, sampled in early 2007. Pours a clear brown with little carbonation. Gentle spicy aroma, and a nice spicy taste, although the taste fades a tad too quickly for my liking. Perhaps this is one that improves with aging?

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a beautiful amber liquid with a small but firm and creamy head ...
nose of pineapple, raisin and jasmine
palate notes are blackcurrant, tobacco, spices
very intensive and lasting earthy and bitter aftertaste

this is a very distinctive and nifty if not sartorial winter ale

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance> glowing amber ale, rich head that stays, good lacing.
Smell> estery, spicey, perhaps even 'woody'
Taste> Crisp, almost salty start, starts seducing you slowly with its mellow ale taste, gets resiny with some nutmeg, and the finish goes sweet as honey.
Mouf> Medium bodied
Drinkability> easy peasy. I could drink this anytime, though I won't rush to buy it. I tend to like my winter ales to be a little bit heavier, but my man loved this, and people who like a lighter and easier to drink (in mass quantities) winter ale will really enjoy this.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Light orangey-yellow. Or maybe yellowy orange. Crisp and dry in taste. The malt is understated, but it still provides a good balance to the hop finish. I had a bottle that tasted better a couple months ago. This one was good anyway. I like this as a winter beer.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Pours a crystal clear amber color with a slight head that fades quickly.

S: Toasty aroma of caramel malts along with a sweet honey like smell.

T: Caramel malt flavor right up front followed by a peppery blast finishing with very light flavors of nutmeg and cinnamon.

D: Very drinkable, it's nice that the alcohol content is to high also. Could sit back and enjoy quite a few of these.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - A foamy two fingered lace lies on top of an amber colored brew. Head sticks around well with decent lacing.

S - Fruity esters and a bit of butterscotch with the malt sweetness. Grassy hops aroma.

T - Pretty interesting, initial malt sweetness with caramel give way to a clean hoppy finish, almost a pepper taste. I associate this with the true "english" style beers I've had.

M - Nice even carbonation and body for the type.

D - Excellent, this is a balanced beer that I could drink all night, I definitely want another one.

4.22/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In America, we tend to like our hoppy IPA's, funky saisons and roasty stouts, but this time of year, sometimes to give a shout out to a style that is often overlooked.
This was poured into a mug.
The appearance was an orange gold to amber color with a moderately white head that faded quickly. Light lacing chipped into the beer nicely.
The smell was slightly nutty with some spiced fruity tones to grace a sweet caramel maltiness with some light biscuity/breadiness rolling all around.
The was mainly sweet with an ample amount of the nuts to slide in for the balance. There's a nice semi-sweet to nutty aftertaste leading into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium in body with a nice sessionability about it. Carbonation seemed good and semi-smooth.
Overall, this is a classic for its style and nice to me and also goes well with some seasonal spiced cake.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

The beer pours a clear caramel color with an off-white head which holds nicely and laces a bit.

The smell is a combination of caramel sweetness and the funk of a Euro-lager.

Taste has a bit of sweetness, otherwise it tastes a lot like a Euro-lager.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, fairly crisp with a slight aftertaste.

Drinkability is okay, but not something I will need to buy again. Frankly, I had hoped for more with this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance:
rich, transparent bronze color, ~1.5 cm head that dissipates quickly after a few sips, leaving a meager string of lace around the glass

Smell:
smells of sweet toasty malts; hints of nutmeg, some floral aromas

Taste:
very well crafted brew - malts are very prominent, slightly aweet, elements of caramel and spiced with elusive nutmeg and cinnamon - also toasty and nutty

Mouthfeel:
weak to moderate carbonation - very smooth and comfortable - soothing and bathing the mouth with glory - medium body

Drinkability:
love it - built beautifully - well balanced

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle of the 07/08 vintage, poured into an American pint glass.

Appearance: 5/5. Beautiful copper color, lots of bubbles rising to the head -- which is a nice foamy off-white, and sticks around.
Nose: 4/5. I can sense it even before I get close. Nice hop aroma (Goldings? Fuggles?), also hay, malt, and rural English rain.
Taste: 4.5/5. Slightly spritzy, and spice right off the bat. What is that? mild cinnamon? allspice? This opens up into a wider smorgasbord -- artisan hearth bread, toasted walnuts. As it warms, some roasted caramel malts enter in. Very earthy, very English, wonderful.
Palate: 4/5. Very nice and pleasant, if perhaps fading a bit too quickly. Which does, however, serve to bring the glass back to my lips that much sooner.
Overall: 4.5/5. Excellent. Another winner from Sam Smith's. I had it along with a venison hutspot (mashed potatoes and carrots and onion) with soda bread, and it was spot-on. I'll be getting this one each winter for sure.

~~~
2009/2010 Vintage (cellared for 12 months, sampled on 07 Dec.2010). Poured into my Allagash footed glass.

Ap: 5/5. Glorious golden amber with ample antique-white foam.
Sm: 4/5. Biscuit up front with notes of vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, sour apple, and dry hops.
T: 4.5/5. Wonderfully nuanced and balanced, lots of malt, a hint of sourness, and warming all the way.
M: 5/5. Luxuriously oily, with the perfect amount of carbonated snap. Smooth and silky.
O/D: 4.5/5. A perfect companion for those cold winter nights. This guy drinks like an old, long-lost friend.

~~~
2010/2011 Vintage (purchased 12/2010; cellared; opened on 12/31/2011).

Poured into a standard US pint glass.
Ap: 5/5. Gorgeous golden amber again, lovely foam. I love how the light glistens through the dark gold.
Sm: 3.5/5. I love subtlety; this one's almost too subtle, though. Faint malt, faint English hops, faint rural countryside. And this at cellar temp, too. It's nice -- I just want more of it! Let 'er breathe...after about 20-30 minutes, it develops.
T: 3.5/5. It's good. It's very good. But it's not great. Tastes like a solid English beer, and for that I'm damn happy. But for a seasonal special, I was hoping for a certain....je ne sais quoi.
M: 5/5. Much like last year's: luxuriously oily, with that perfect carbonated snap, finishing smooth and silky.
O: 4/5. Still a favourite, still going to do my annual run of this one. However, not quite as polished as I remember last year's being. That being said, after it's open for a while all the lovely Yorkshire goodness comes out.
Here's a little secret: enjoy this with your Christmas chocolate. Seriously.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Presentation: 550ml (18.7 oz) brown bottle, only dating is "2006-2007" on the main label, poured into a pint glass. It doesn't factor into the review but I really like the label.

Appearance: Crystal clear amber color. the head formed a good 2 fingers thick and faded into a thin layer of bubbles resting on top that doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon.

Aroma: Sweet toasted and caramel malts.

Taste: Toasted malts up front transitioning to butterscotch and some spiciness in the middle. The finish was slightly bitter with caramel lingering.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth for a 6.0% ABV beer, and still rather crisp. The carbonation is in good balance as well.

Overall: Decent, but not malty enough to cut through those cold winter evenings for me. I like to break this one out once a year to enjoy, but that's about it.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer pours a clear yellowy orange with lots of creamy off white head that lasts for a very long time, and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Not an overwhelmingly aromatic beer but it has a pleasant sweet smell to it, some element of caramel is there too.

The only flavor that really stands out to me is the caramel, I can pick up on some hops too, but just like every other sam smith brew its just extremely smooth and well balanced, its very drinkable, just the right amount of carbonation.

4.29/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

3.84/5  rDev +4.6%

Wow, this is quite an aromatic beer. The scent exploded out of the bottle as I poured. I'm not really sure how to describe the smell. It's reminding me of a stinky cheap macro lager. Not good. Perhaps I got a skunked bottle?

The appearance is great - a deep amber with a small but frothy head.

Taste is very good. Malty, of course. There's a good bit of citrusy sweetness in there as well. The mouthfeel has a little bit of creaminess to it, which is a pleasant suprise.

In 2004, I was lucky enough to get a half-price case ($30) of S.S.'s Winter Welcome. It was the first time I had ever tried the beer, and I enjoyed it immensely. I'd love to be able to get that deal again!

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a medium amber color. Clear, with a 1/2 inch off-white head. Good retention. Moderate lacing.

Aroma is malty...caramel, apples.

Taste is malty...carame, maybe some dark frutis. Touch of hops in the finish, with a slight bitterness into the aftertaste.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Good balance. Alcohol presence is not obvious, so I wouldn't say it's really a "warmer". Comparing to last years version, this one seems to have a little less flavor character but also more bitterness. Drinkability is good, but I would probably only have one in a sitting.

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 48.9% out of 100 with 2,208 ratings