Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Organic Lager Beer | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Organic Lager BeerSamuel Smith's Pure Brewed Organic Lager Beer
3.81/5

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by Bitterbill on 02-26-2001

Ratings: 1,065 |  Reviews: 580

This is just my favorite beer ........ever. Such a simple brew solution yet the product of this labor is perfect! It's the only lager I've ever found to have malty legs. Its perfect blend of barley and hops gives you the sense that its malty and bitter attributes are released on to your taste buds for an epic battle (which is ultimately just won by the hops army). The finish is crisp but doesn't leave your tongue feeling dry. The complexity of the competing flavors makes for a fantastic taste interrupted by nothing as the malted barley and hops in this beer are organic. It clearly makes a difference. I would enjoy this beer in the company of the most boring and annoying people in the world.

This is my favorite beer, and I've tasted hundreds. Any time I need something to lift me up that I know won't leave me dissapointed, it's this beer. The green and gold foil top screams quality and refined.

The best way to describe the taste is balanced, light, yet full-flavored and reminescent of honey. This beer is so clean that your buddies who won't venture past Bud Light will have respect.

Of course, anytime you have good memories associated with a good beer, the beer becomes one of your all-time favorites. Consume this beer when you want some good memories with good friends. Cheers!

Wow.

Beer drinkers distinguished by candor and insight boast in their inborn belief in the superiority of Samuel Smith beers. This lager is a harbinger of success. It is teeming with life. It is Unreservedly, unequivocally, and absolutely right, and I feel called upon to asseverate that Samuel Smith's Brewed Lager Beer will flow in a notable way amidst the mountains of God. I would say so in the presence of an Apostle.

4.83/5  rDev +26.8%

18.7 oz. bottle. Samuel Smith's Organic Lager has a thick, creamy, white head and a slightly hazy, extremely bubbly, straw appearance, leaving lots of thick lacing behind. The aroma is sweet barley malt, biscuit, and just a touch of stinging hops. Taste is wonderful- sweet barley malt, sugar, water, and good hop balance. Mouthfeel is light, and Samuel Smith's Organic Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, ultra drinkable, and mostly dry. Overall, this is a most excellent beer!

RJT

4.8/5  rDev +26%

500mL bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

Pours out looking like a dressed up macro lager, but things are too early to tell everything so far, darker for sure, a pale gold with a first a foamy white head that becomes ever rockier as the beer settles down a bit in the glass.

This is easily the cleanest smelling euro pale lager I've ever happened across, so stella skunk, in fact the aroma is so rare for this style of beer you would probably think it was an English pale before you thought of it a pale lager, that is how rich and sweet the hop character comes out in this beer. Honey comb, slightly grassy, mild apple but generally very flowery and sweet.

Taste brings me back down to earth a bit but still remains about the best pale lager I've ever tasted. Malts play a bigger role here as they should and the beer takes on a chewiness that you would not expect from its appearance. Grassy, rich earthy tones for balance but an ever present and lingering bitterness, only a slight hint of bready grains coming in near the finish. Yet as suprisingly chewy as the mouthfeel is it retains a bright, snappy and uplifting feel that makes each sip a joy.

Style wise this beer is tops, have never been happier to drink a beer labled 'euro pale lager' in my life. As a session it is hard to beat, light, crisp, refreshing and complex without being pretentious. Fantastic beer, should be the benchmark for all other beers of this style. Drinking a beer like this makes me wonder why/how macro beer became what it is today. I suppose capitalism had something to do with it when companies realized they could make tons of money even after cutting back on more expensive ingredients. That being said though, I am willing to bet my paycheck that if you gave this beer to a stone cole BMC drinking in a blind taste test with the BMC product of thier choice they would choose this beer every time and then immediatly after realizing this they would commit suppoku for the unbearable amount of shame such a realization brings and spill their entrails right on the floor of the tasting room. That is how good this beer this.

4.78/5  rDev +25.5%

I've got to say, as a macro lager kind of guy, this is a damn good lager.

A - Not too many bubbles, good light golden color, but what does that matter?

S - I want to describe it as a sweet smell. Sweet in a honey-like way but not sugary-sweet. Beyond the sweetness I detect some very complex wheat and hops aromas. I really don't know what to say except this smells amazing! Sweet, but not sugary. Hoppy, but not overpowering. Like wheat, but not too much like wheat.

T - Wow. Very complex taste, yet no one sensation overpowers. Very nice and pleasant (very slightly) sweet and biscuity taste at first, with a very smooth finish.

M - Feels carbonated but very balanced. (Overall this is kind of what I'm saying - notice the incredible balance of this beer.)

D - Well, I could drink these all day, but too bad this is no cheap brew. Very very expensive in fact.

Overall, I wouldn't say this is absolutely my favorite beer, but it's really quite incredible. I enjoy beer that's not very dark, or fruity, or spicy, or sweet. Like I said, I'm anh all-American macro lager kind of guy. But this is what macro lagers strive to be, they're just unbalanced at some point. I admit, this is no perfect beer, but wow! Balanced! Smooth! Delicious! EXPENSIVE!

4.76/5  rDev +24.9%

Presentation: Great big 550ml custom brown Victorian pint bottle (a real pint), with old-style labeling. No freshness stamp. Organically Certified brew.

Appearance: Beer pours great, leaving a hodge-podge of different bubble sizes in a pure white, foam lace of a head. Colour is a clear, bright, pale yellow.

Smell: Clean and crisp nose, with light fruity, grain, floral and metallic aromas. Delicately aromatic.

Taste: A rich malty lager with a pleasant sweetness that is balanced, and complemented, by a mildly lime-like hop bitterness and floral flavour. Light, complex fruity notes, and a touch of watery grape-like character. Crisp, semi-dry, but an overall smooth mouthfeel and a firm body. Tame metallic and fresh bread notes pull through as the beer warms. Finishes just a tad dry with some trace grain and metallic flavours.

Notes: I can't remember a cleaner, fresher tasting imported lager. It's absolutely outstanding, and organic which is a big plus. I hope others follow suit and we all see more organically brewed beers worldwide.

Thanks to Merchant Du Vin for the fresh sample.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appears very pale yellow and slightly murky like a wheat with 1 finger white head and decent retention and carbonation.

S - I really like the freshness and grassy scents of this beer. It smells like a meadow in the springtime. Very pleasant for the style.

T - Oh wow. That is what I said to myself after taking a sip (or actually a big first gulp) of this beer. This beer has that very distinct European flavorings of the best German or Czech lagers you can think and can't quite be replicated in the US, but absolutely none of the off-putting skunkiness that often resonates in imported Euro Lagers. Incredibly sessionable and light with slight crisp finish and no dryness like you sometimes get with some over hopped pilsners.

M - wonderful for the style

Overall - I think this may be one of my new favorite session beers. I'll revisit this one quite often. This is a world class lager in my book. Probably the best Euro Lager I've sampled. Samuel Smith makes another masterpiece, and is a brewery that is certainly one of the best on the planet.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

From bottle at home. Lovely clear gold that shows the champagne-style bubbles rising to form tight suds for lightly laced tracings on the glass.

The aroma has a minerality with virtually no yeasty notes, yet they are present on the tongue. Aftertaste is lingering & malty. Not what I would call your typical lager, by American standards. There is nothing 'flat' here as there are in many others. It's viscous, very lively & refreshing. It's substantial character will reduce some gulpers to sippers as each mouthful has plenty to offer.

Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Organic Lager Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 3.81 out of 5 with 1,065 ratings