Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Imperial StoutSamuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Todd on 02-27-2001

Ratings: 3,747 |  Reviews: 1,767

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

Presentation: 18.7 oz. 'Victorian Pint' brown glass bottle; nice, 'antique'-looking label. If I've deciphered the date code correctly, I believe this was bottled March 19th, 2012. Sadly, that's as fresh as we can usually get Sam Smith's in the States, but for this style of brew, that's not so bad honestly. Into my Black Sheep imperial pint.

Appearance: Obsidian-black beer with hints of brown around the edges when held up to the light. Nice medium-tan cap with pretty nice stick.

Smell: A bit unusual. No real roast, char, etc, but rather some musty apple and perhaps the slightest hint of chocolate.

Taste: Very much an English take on the style. Begins estery (apples and vinous dark fruit) before turning lightly roasty (chocolate malt, I think?) in the middle, with a bit of toast as well. Mild notes of char on the firm, bitter finish, with those apple-and-red-wine flavors that we started out with.

Mouthfeel: Every bit of 7%, and really seems a bit bigger than that. Smooth and creamy.

Overall: Overall, this is probably a somewhat better beer than this review suggests. I'm perfectly fine with the English style of RIS as opposed to the American variety. My main issue here is that this is a bit weak in the aroma department (precious little other than green apples) and that the fruity (and especially, apple) flavors significantly overshadow the malt and roasted flavors that, for me, need to be a bit more forward. I'd say that perhaps this beer's just suffering from age, but at just under a year old, this shouldn't be the case. At arond $4.00 a bottle, this is worth picking up once in awhile, but I wouldn't likely have it in my regular rotation.

83-B

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)