Samuel Smith's Organic Apricot Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Apricot AleSamuel Smith's Organic Apricot Ale
Liked This Beer
3.88 w/ 398 ratings
Samuel Smith's Organic Apricot AleSamuel Smith's Organic Apricot Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Handcrafted in Melbourne Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery at Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic apricot fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew -- creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpoint to the pure organic fruit juice.

Added by minterro on 03-19-2012

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

1.25/5  rDev -67.8%

1.5/5  rDev -61.3%

1.75/5  rDev -54.9%

Hazy peach color with a billowing puffy white head. Good lacing. Tons of peaches on the nose.

Medium body with big peach flavor throughout. Slight syrup like finish with what feels and tastes like a touch a wheat. Definitely tastes fresh. Slight fizziness. Tastes like peach juice with a splash of beer. Like a peach shandy. I like it a bit cause I love peaches but really this barely tastes like beer so I can barely consider it one. Tastes more like peach syrup.

2.31/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 550ml bottle (best by date was scratched off) into a pint glass. Pours with half a finger's worth of white foam that maintains. Mild bubbles. Pale yellow in color. Has mild aromas of yeast, smoke, and rotten fruit. Initial taste is of strong apricot flavors. Strong and very unpleasant bready malt flavors enter immediately after along with those rotten fruit flavors. To finish it off, mild smoke flavors kick in the aftertaste. The only thing saving this beer from being any worse in taste is that the sweet apricot flavors persist through the symphony of crap that is this beer. Medium-bodied, mild carbonation, with a slightly dry finish. I can only assume I had a bad batch because the other ratings are nowhere near to what I experienced.

2.49/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a very strong fruit (apricot) aroma.
Appearance- A pale yellow similar to AAL style beer, with a small white head.
Taste- Has a powerful fruit flavorful that is rather sweet. Too sweet for me.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation, the sweetness subtracts from the beer to much for me.
Overall- Not my cup of tea er. beer. To much sugar and not enough beer flavor to keep me drinking this more often.

2.49/5  rDev -35.8%

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

2.87/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Poured with a thumb of head that didn't lacke but did stick around. The bodly a a cloudy yellow with green notes and low carbonation.

Smell: As expected, the overwhelming presence of Apricots dominates the nose. Warmning doesn't really help or harm it, but only the barest notes of malt can be detected from this one.

Taste: It starts with a pleasent mild fruity apricot taste which is nice, but then when you expect the beer elements to make some form of presence, it's like someone poured concentrated sour apricots and lemon juice over my mouth. It's incredibly tart and sour, honestly to the beer's detriment. This drinks more like cider then beer and next to no malt and certainly no hop presence can be found.

Mouthfeel: Well the aftertaste is expected, apricots so that's nice, but that's where this one ends. This beer doesn't ease you into it's sour element, but hits you like a sack of bricks. The carbonation is low so it doesn't really accent any part of the beer, it comes off as a little bit acidic feeling and I'm left asking where are the hops to reign in some of this?

Drinkability: That acidic note is really doing this beer no favours here. Well is does settle down well, it doesn't come across and refreshing, crisp or even desert like. More, like that you are eating liquidfied fuzzy peach candy.

Final Thoughts: I have no doubt this beer appeals to someone, and indeed someone else may find it superb, but that person is not me. It drinks far more like apricot cider then beer. There's no malt, no bitterness, no anything but sour alcholized apricots. It is to the point where I almost suspect a bad bottle. Regardless, I'll be sticking to St-Ambroise for my Apricot fix, because this is a pass to me. What a shame, my first bad beer from Samuel Smith's, but given this is my 12th beer reviewed from them before hitting something less appealing, I'd say that ain't bad at all. So whatever you do, don't let this poor review in any way influence you to avoid a normally spectacular brewer.

2.92/5  rDev -24.7%

I'm honestly not the type to rate a beer on its appearance or smell or feel. I've had a lot of fruit beers in my lifetime; many miss the mark, many play it safe, and some hit the nail on the head for the perfect balance of fruit and beer.

This one missed the mark. The flavor was fine, but the sweetness of this beer overpowered me about halfway through my glass, which was only about 1/4 of the full bottle. It didn't take long for my enjoyment of this to turn into disappointment as I slowly came to the conclusion that I didn't want to finish even the glass I had in front of me. The aftertaste was even sweeter and reminiscent of the aftertaste of ice wine.

I give the taste a solid 2.5 to account for both my initial enjoyment and, soon thereafter, my inability to finish the glass.

2.92/5  rDev -24.7%

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Very sweet, think they could go without the use of sugar. Smells like (you guessed it) apricots, almost like a dried kind. Could use more of the ale which is present but subtle. Has potential to be good but needs to be rebalanced. Also not a fan of mixing beers after they've fermented. Worth a try on a hot day but in my opinion not anywhere near as good as the st-Ambroise apricot wheat ale which is probably found most places this is (in Canada). Cheers!

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

16.9 oz bottle which cost way too much at $6.49. Cloudy orange color, good head, looks nice. Smells like apricots and sugar, eh. Tastes like apricot syrup and sugar and not much else. Cloyingly sweet and unpleasant, I would never buy this again. Dry Dock does a much better job of capturing the apricot without the sguary sweetness.

12 oz bottle. Minimal to no head, clear in appearance. Very disappointing. If Woodchuck made an apricot *cider* (do they?), it would be better than this:

Samuel Smith's Organic Apricot Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 75.1% out of 100 with 398 ratings