Organic Chocolate Stout
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Organic Chocolate StoutOrganic Chocolate Stout
Score:
Ranked #941
4.27 | pDev: 11.71%
From:
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

England, United Kingdom
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Organic Chocolate StoutOrganic Chocolate Stout
Notes: Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.
Reviews: 682 | Ratings: 3,456 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by TrueOregonian:
3.86/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

L- not completely black
Poured a inch head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S- amazing smell, I get hot chocolate, w/ rum.

T- taste is the same as the smell... except it's way watered down... too watered down. I know it's a 5% so what do I expect.. but it doesn't need to taste this watery

Overall- decent

1.94/5  rDev -54.6%

I hated it. I was expecting a roasted dry cocoa flavor. Instead it tasted like Newcastle with Hershey's chocolate syrup added. Very disappointed. One of the few beers I was not able to finish. If you are not into sweets STAY AWAY. Expensive beer and not worth it in my opinion.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This chocolate Stout is different to any other I've tasted and its quite magnificent. Very indulgent , it is quite luxurious . An Aussie mate of mine , tried it for the first time the other night , and is raving about it !!.
As mentioned elsewhere , if I wanted to be really picky ...a touch too sweet for my taste

Wont stop me buying more of course

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

550ml bottle in a massive Kane snifter.

Very dark brown color with reddish brown highlights on the edges. Dark tan head, 1F, quick fade to foamy thick film. Light spot lacing and working carbonation.

Milk chocolate aroma, sweet like cocoa drinks. There's a touch of alcohol on the nose, too. I get a bit of rum and cola or vanilla vodka and cola mixed drink aroma.

It's a chocolate drink.

Slightly fizzy and medium-light bodied. Very clean and smooth.

I like this brew well enough but it could use a little more roast and stout and a bit less chocolate.

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

From bottle, Pours dark brown with a beige head. Aroma dominated by chocolate with vanilla, roasted malt and a hint of coffee. Taste wow wow and wow Sweet flavour of chocolate, roasted malt and vanilla, very creamy. Very nice wow.

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is awesome stuff! Like drinking melted chocolate. Black with small head, aroma of chocolate, taste of chocolate, slightly sweet. If you know a chocolate lover, this is the drink for them.

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great flavorful stout. Nice chocolatey after taste. A+

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer pours a dark, rich dark chocolate black, with brown coming through the edges in the light. An oatmeal colored head recedes to a bubbly film. Beautiful webbed lacing coats the glass.

The beer smells strongly of oatmeal, milk chocolate, and coconut.

The beer tastes exactly as it smells with sweet milk chocolate dominating, with a delicious dry oatmeal sturdiness in the body. Sweet coconut and almonds add wonderful candy bar afterthoughts.

The mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, with a nice finish.

Overall, simply a perfect beer to me, exquisite in every way.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

A- Pours a cola colored dark brown with just slight clarity and the head is an amazing caramel color with rich dense bubbles and the retention is superb! The original two finger thick head finally settles into a film over the brew itself and the lacing is quite well done with strings and small patches of soapy foam clinging to the side of my glass! The carbonation is too hard to see but I'm sure it will be nice....overall a very nice looking sweet Stout!

S- This is simply an awesome smelling ale! Sweet cocoa/dark chocolate nibs are so dominant that I sense that I'm going into a great organic bar of chocolate! There is an underlying tone of sweet malt, lactose, full fat cream, biscuit, milkshake aromas and little else....this smells like pure dessert in a glass!....WOW!

T- This is simply bliss on the palate!!! Mr Smith was having a good day when he came up with this formula for sure! Creamy malted milk Chocolate is very upfront, with underlying flavors of smooth intense vanilla, and slightly lesser iced coffee with heavy cream. Caramel like cola hints are present and possibly some earthy root beer notes as well. Toffee nut flavor is on the finish with just a hint of dryness to round everything out....I can't really explain how good this is....I just cant.....

M/O- Full body, and intensely rich smooth creamy carbonation just coat my palate so well....this is a simple yet complex pleasure to drink and really....who needs dessert when one can just pour this into a glass and enjoy?!?! Chocolate silk in texture and the alcohol is not even a factor.....I can see myself getting into a lot of trouble over the course of an evening with this in my hand, however, I don't believe this is a true session beer. This should really be illegal...enough said! Cheers!

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not a huge fan of this beer. Pours just like any stout, has a large head though so pour with caution. Smells sooo sweet. Like an uber sweet vanilla milk chocolate. Taste is much too sweet for my palate. It's probably the sweetest beer I've ever had which kind of turns me away from liking it. I'm not a fan of milk chocolate and this is like the most sugared up milk chocolate melted down with some vanilla and maybe like a toasted almond-ish taste. I do appreciate this beer for what it is. I mean it's called an organic chocolate stout, and it sure is a chocolate stout, it's just too sweet for my taste. Mouth feel is fine, kind of a carbonated creamy feel. As I said, I do appreciate this beer but for my own personal taste I don't like it so much. Not a bad drink though by any means. Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

One of two loose bottles picked up at the local beer store recently. Can't find a bottling date or best-by but I'm not too concerned about this being old.

Color is a cola-like brown when pouring, darker once in the glass -- pretty much black, with just a bit of dark brown visible around the edges. Nice layer of light tan foam on top, which shrinks to about half its initial size over a few minutes but seems to be sticking around pretty well, leaving some really nice trails behind as it goes.

The smell is incredibly chocolatey right away -- reminds me of a chocolate cake! I'm reminded of the Shiner Birthday Beer chocolate stout from a couple years back, but I think this one is a level up from even that beer on the chocolate-o-meter -- that beer (while delicious) had more of a store-bought-cake-mix kind of thing going on while this one is nicer. It's almost like there's two layers to the chocolateyness, a chocolate+cake sort of smell at first and then a richer pure-chocolate smell peeking in a little on the end of every sniff. Smells really, really good.

The taste is also heavy on the chocolate, though oddly it's coming across as a good bit weaker than the smell. There is a presence of stout-like roasted malt in there, too -- a little bit of an almost-charred black malt thing popping in on the very end once most of the chocolatey-er flavors have faded, lingering for a little while afterward. Overall, taste is not quite as nice as the smell. but still good, and the roasted malt making itself known is a plus -- a little reminder that yes, this is still a beer and not some kind of alcoholic chocolate milkshake! Interestingly, the flavors do seem to come out more as the beer warms, giving it a definite chocolate-milkshake vibe that's nicer than the flavor when fridge-cold but still not quite as good as the smell -- I still have one in my fridge and I'll be sure to let it sit and warm a bit before drinking (I should've known to do that ahead of time, what with this being English and all, but... it's 2 am and it slipped my mind.)

The feel is probably the weakest feature of this beer. I mentioned above that I was reminded of Shiner's "Birthday Beer" chocolate stout when smelling this one -- well, that impressive chocolateyness in the smell isn't the only thing they have in common: they're also both surprisingly thin in feel. On the positive side it is very drinkable (it's hard not to take this down gulps at a time), but a bit thinner and fizzier than I would like for a beer that tastes like this one does. I can't knock it too hard for this, though, since it is only 5% ABV -- the richness of the chocolate in the flavor and especially the smell just causes a bit of a disconnect when the feel is as thin as a typical 5% ABV beer would be.

Overall, this is a great stand-in for the no-longer-brewed Shiner beer I mentioned several times in the review -- I'm not sure why I didn't notice just how similar they were the previous time I had this beer, but I'm definitely noticing it now. This is almost certainly a better beer, though, despite my scores for them being so close -- the richness of the chocolate in the smell is a big difference, and this one looks nicer in the glass too, leaving perfect little rings of lacing as you drink. Anyone who misses that 106th anniversary Shiner beer should try this for sure, as should anyone seeking out a chocolate beer that leans more in the "chocolate" direction -- especially if you want serious chocolateyness without a high ABV to go with it, as this is only 5% ABV.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.
Color: pitch black, chocolatey, 2.5" fluffy cream head.
Aroma: chocolate syrup.
Taste: malty, creamy and chocolatey but as it says on the bottle flavor is added to the stout, if chocolate malts were brewed in it rather than added I do believe it would taste better. It is easy to tell chocolate was added and not brewed and almost tastes like chocolate syrup was added after it was brewed. Sam Adams Chocolate Bock has a much better taste. Although still worth the try and still is better than many chocolate stouts. The intake on first sip is bitter creamy chocolate that ends with bitter sourness.
Feel: thin and creamy.

2.64/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I realize that I should have known what I was getting myself into with a name like Organic Chocolate Stout, but I felt that the chocolate flavor was way too overpowering. It was like drinking a glass of carbonated chocolate milk, which may be appealing to some people just not me. I had this strait with no food pairing so maybe that's where I went wrong.

Just to give a different perspective, my friend who also has tried this said it's possibly his favorite brew.

3.37/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours chocolate brown with moderate head

Smell is lots of chocolate candy, chocolate malt, some vanilla

Taste is rich milk chocolate, lactose, some caramel and vanilla at the end

Overall I'm not a fan of this beer. I really enjoy Sameul Smith but this fell short. Yes I know it has a low abv but I'd still like a little more fullness. To me it tastes wayyyyy too chocolatey. It makes a great stout float though!

1.63/5  rDev -61.8%

A little too much like Hershey's syrup watered down with Pale Ale. I prefer a richer dark chocolate taste to my chocolate beers.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think the bottling code was SK16P1 before it rubbed off. Maybe bottled november of last year?

Anyways...

Super tasty chocolate stout! I don't think I'd be able to point out that it's an english stout during blind tasting, likely using a historical english ale yeast strain. Regardless - this is a flawless brew.
Amazing retention of the fine bubbly tan half finger of head. Delivers a deep sweet chocolate and brown sugar aroma followed by a deeper chocolate eruption of flavor paired with evenly, not overly roasty, malts and a clean chocolatey and super light bitter finish. Mouthfeel is creamy and medium viscosity. Overall, going in with the intention of drinking a fairly sweet and sticky chocolate stout, this really delivered. Especially considering it's just over $3 for 550ml!

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours black
Smells of chocolate
Taste is the same, but there is something additional a can't put my finger on.
Beer has a great feel to it and was an exceptional choice today.
Makes me want to try more Samuel Smith products.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Samuel Smith: Those magnificent bastards! I didn’t read their book (I don’t think they’ve written one*) but I am continuously impressed whenever I crack open a bottle of Mr. Smith’s Good Time Juice, aka all of their beers that I have tried. Today’s Sam Smith brew is their Organic Chocolate Stout [where have you been all my life?] or, as I often have to do with a Samuel Smith review, I’ve initialised the beer name to SSOCS to save on word space... hmmm, SSOCS... sort of like socks, I like it.

Poured from a generous almost-a-pint-but-not 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Looks like a glass of a certain ™ popular cola beverage... with a khaki-coloured 2 cm head on top - how very un-cokelike of this brew to have a head. The head soon reduces to a centimetre, that’s more cokelike of it. 8/10.

S: Full cocoa on the nose, which takes on a hint of coconut character (as cocoa can do sometimes, I think it’s the oil in the cocoa bean) with hints of cream and a solid Stout note of chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Chocolate milkshake in a beer in a pint glass - superb! 10/10.

T: Wow, this is one sweet beer... literally! This beer is aimed squarely at chocolate lovers with the above flavour characters of: Cocoa, coconut, milk chocolate and that hint of vanilla. Finish is skewed towards sweetness but it does contain a hint of cacao bitterness and mild astringency. 9/10.

M: Medium, but slightly watery bodied with a thin to flat classic UK pub carbonation. The wateriness pulls it back from greatness as this beer could definitely have benefited from its Oatmeal Stout cousin’s bag of flaked oats, oh well. 7/10.

D: This is too singular on the sweet tooth side for most beer drinkers I suspect... however I’m enjoying the break from hops - not every beer needs to be a see-saw balance between sweet/bitter - sometimes it is nice to indulge in a decadent chocolate dessert and this beer is the perfect complement to that experience, even if it is incomplete as a true beer experience. Final word: This is the best example of a “Chocolate Stout” I’ve had thus far, if you’re crossing off some sort of chocolate-flavoured beer bucket list this one should be at or near the top. 8/10.

Food match: Chocolate cake, something Black Forest-y, or a torte - stick with desserts for this brew, trust me.

*A shiny new donkey for whomever gets that film reference - AND - brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer, has a strong chocolatey taste of course, almost like a tootsie roll. Easy to drink. It has to be cold, once it gets warm you begin to totally lose the delicious smell and taste & it becomes a little more difficult to enjoy. Overall, one of my favorite flavored stouts.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have a rule that I don't give a perfect score until I try more beers but this beer is practically perfect. What is missing in this beer? Anyone? When it is poured into a glass it has a great head, it is inky black, the aroma is among the best I've ever smelled (smells like dark chocolate candy), and that taste is amazing. I've been cautious drinking chocolate beers because I've been worried that they would be very bitter, since Cocoa is natural very bitter. This beer is blended so well, it minimizes the bitters with a creamy sweetness (think a creamer, like is used in coffee). Wow, this stuff is amazing. The only negative is the price. That's the one negative I can think of, it was $5 for a bottle.

I'm not a big fan of stouts. They are usually just too thick and strong for me (flavor wise). This is almost perfection in a bottle. I think this is my highest rated beer as of now.

This deserve a nomination into the beer hall of fame for nailing so many things right. From the look, to head, to smell, and taste. Beers are usually missing an aspect to become "greatness". This beer is truly something special and it is so delicious.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is ridiculous. My non beer drinking friend said it was like Yoohoo made a beer. I don't feel that's a fair statement, but I know what he was trying to say. The mouth feel of this beer alone.... the only thing I can say negative about it is that it is a bit sweet.

Sammy Smith is probably the most consistent and solid brewery in that everything they make is perfect. Perfectly balanced flavor, perfect color, small yet substantial head and a gorgeous smell. This beer is another one that is perfect by Samuel smith. The chocolate flavor is just awesome on top of a beautiful stout.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Samuel Smith Old Brewery - Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. 5% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into standard pint glass.

Look: Pitch black, with dark amber highlights when pouring. Thin light tan head from semi aggressive pour, and dissipated into trace amounts of lacing.

Smell: Very strong dark chocolate and cocoa, with dark malts; reminds me of the aroma of hot chocolate.

Feel: Very rich and thick bodied, and very smooth and creamy, with a good amount of carbonation.

Taste: Rich dark chocolate, and semi sweet cocoa, and dark malt. Also has a unique taste from what I assume is the well water is brewed with.

Overall: Another great beer from Samuel Smith's Brewery. Incredible taste, feel, and aroma from this stout; very pleasant and extremely easy to drink. One of my favorites.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Scored this one for a few bucks at the local bottle shop.Never had Sam's Chocolate Stout before, but I have had his Oatmeal Stout and it was pretty good.

Look: Dark cola, pouring with about two fingers of rocky head.

Smell: Lots and lots of chocolate Really sweet, almost syrupy.

Taste: Almost like a coffee with some chocolate. Feint alcohol finish.

Feel: Super smooth.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer and easily a top 5 for me.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black color with a tan head. Smell is almost pure chocolate. Taste is a melted chocolate bar. No bitterness, just chocolate. Medium bodied for a stout. Overall, a great beer.

Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 95 out of 100 with 3456 ratings