Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

Ratings: 3,149 |  Reviews: 589

1.12/5  rDev -73.2%

...I don't get it. A score of 94 and this might be the worst beer I've ever tasted. It's like they threw in random amounts of chocolate, cocoa, malt, sugar, spice and everything nice and just went with it. More power to them if so many people like it, but... my experience with this was horrible. I drain-poured it after two ounces or so.

1.3/5  rDev -68.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.52/5  rDev -63.6%

I am really amazed at the praise this beer seems to be getting from most reviewers. In fact, I disagree so much with this that I had to register an account and submit a review of my own.

This beer is extremely sweet with a strangely artificial chocolate aroma and no bitterness, hops or roasted barley to balance it up. I would hesitate to describe this product as a stout or even a beer. I have tried many chocolate stouts in the past and liked every single one of them, but this one is just terrible. On top of that it was also expensive.

1.63/5  rDev -61%

A little too much like Hershey's syrup watered down with Pale Ale. I prefer a richer dark chocolate taste to my chocolate beers.

1.68/5  rDev -59.8%

1.69/5  rDev -59.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Not worth a long review.
Look- poured gently. Dark appearance with little head.

Smell- chocolate and chocolate (and I have difficulty picking up chocolate in most beers made with it). Some toffee candy.

Taste - not as sweet as others are experiencing but it is there. Some nut flavor. Extract like. Small bite (thank God that is there).

Mouthfeel - thin as others have said. Soda like.

Overall - Is there beer in there? Really comes off as an off store brand of chocolate soda or something. Samuel Smith beers have yet to impress me despite such a strong following. I made a mistake and bought the 4 pack. I'll have a few good beers tonight and tackle these once my taste buds go to sleep.

1.75/5  rDev -58.1%

I am no stranger to milk stout and the sweetness the lactose provides to the brew, this year alone I have had Beau's milk stout, flying monkey's chocolate manifesto milk stout and another chocolate milk stout who's origins I can't recall but it had a cow in rubber boots on the front. Now I am a bit of a hop head so I have to be understanding of my personal bias, but this beer took sweetness to a incomprehensible, unpalatable level. I could not finish this beer and it turned my stomach with its richness. DO NOT drink this beer if you can not handle intense sweetness.

1.81/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Yuk. I guess I don't like chocolate stouts. Not sure what I expected but this isn't it.
Looks great. Pours black coffee black. Caramel colored fluffy head that lasts a while. Leaves nice lacing down sides of glass.
Smells like chocolate syrup, not much else.
Sweet chocolate taste overpowers everything else. Feel is OK but a bit thin even for a sweet stout.
Overall, I can't stand this stuff. Hard to even call it a beer. Can't imagine a food pairing for it.
Heavy Stouts and Porters are my favorite styles but this is way too sweet for me to enjoy. The chocolate is overpowering. Like drinking a Hershey bar
I hate to slam Samuel Smith's because they make some great beers but I don't like this one. Luckily, I have a couple Sam Smith IPA's to get this cloyingly sweet chocolate taste out of my mouth. It might be a very good example of this style, it's just not a style I care for.

1.94/5  rDev -53.6%

I hated it. I was expecting a roasted dry cocoa flavor. Instead it tasted like Newcastle with Hershey's chocolate syrup added. Very disappointed. One of the few beers I was not able to finish. If you are not into sweets STAY AWAY. Expensive beer and not worth it in my opinion.

1.96/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Bottle: Design is nice
Color: dark chocolate color
Foaming: creates 1/2 '' of foam and stays very long time
smells: not quite appetizing sweet but fake chocolate and sugary taste
first feel: chocolate and acidic
fake chocolate smell and taste.
mouth-feel: full body but acidic
finish: acidic bitter at the end weird chocolate

overall: did not like the aroma neither the smell

1.97/5  rDev -52.9%

Poured beautifully into a Spiegelau stout glass but that is where the wonderfulness ended. Smells like cocoa powder, and tastes like a chocolate soda. Too sweet and chocolaty, even for a sweet stout. I would never have mistaken this beer for a stout as there is no discernible roasted barley character or bitterness. I'm not sure it was even hopped. Mouth feel is very thin and fizzy, not what I expect or like in a stout. This is the first Samuel Smith beer I have tried which I did not absolutely love. I even put it down for a while thinking it might taste better if it was warm, but it didn't help. I poured at least half of it down the drain. If you have a sweet tooth, which I don't, you might like this beer. Very disappointing but I still love Samuel Smith Old Brewery!

2.12/5  rDev -49.3%

$5.29 for a 550ml bottle. Pours out to a clear dark mahogany, forming a tall soapy tan head with very good retention and lacing. Moderate strong carbonation, ~3.0 carbs. The nose is redolent with tootsie roll fake chocolate smell, not really much more than that....Carob. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and somewhat cloying. The taste begins with tootsie roll, has some peanut in the middle, then tootsie roll in the finish. Very mild bitterness, quite sweet considering the lighter body. Minimal to absent roast flavor. Metallic finish with an aftertaste of saccharin.

This is a pretty gross beer. The obviously fake chocolate extract flavor doesn't sit well with the saccharin aftertaste and the metallic finish and the absolute lack of roast flavor. Would not buy it again or recommend it unless you're into "beers" like this. Ugh.

2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

2.41/5  rDev -42.3%

Pours jet black with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweet chocolate, kind of like Hershey's syrup. In the taste, like Hershey's syrup, uber sweet. A small bite, but mainly smooth, and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, and a small dry sweet chocolate in the aftertaste. Uber sweet and sticky, kind of Hershey's syrup like, kind of icky.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)