Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

Reviews: 550 | Ratings: 3,015
1.12/5  rDev -73.3%

...I don't get it. A score of 94 and this might be the worst beer I've ever tasted. It's like they threw in random amounts of chocolate, cocoa, malt, sugar, spice and everything nice and just went with it. More power to them if so many people like it, but... my experience with this was horrible. I drain-poured it after two ounces or so.

1.52/5  rDev -63.7%

I am really amazed at the praise this beer seems to be getting from most reviewers. In fact, I disagree so much with this that I had to register an account and submit a review of my own.

This beer is extremely sweet with a strangely artificial chocolate aroma and no bitterness, hops or roasted barley to balance it up. I would hesitate to describe this product as a stout or even a beer. I have tried many chocolate stouts in the past and liked every single one of them, but this one is just terrible. On top of that it was also expensive.

1.69/5  rDev -59.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Not worth a long review.
Look- poured gently. Dark appearance with little head.

Smell- chocolate and chocolate (and I have difficulty picking up chocolate in most beers made with it). Some toffee candy.

Taste - not as sweet as others are experiencing but it is there. Some nut flavor. Extract like. Small bite (thank God that is there).

Mouthfeel - thin as others have said. Soda like.

Overall - Is there beer in there? Really comes off as an off store brand of chocolate soda or something. Samuel Smith beers have yet to impress me despite such a strong following. I made a mistake and bought the 4 pack. I'll have a few good beers tonight and tackle these once my taste buds go to sleep.

1.75/5  rDev -58.2%

I am no stranger to milk stout and the sweetness the lactose provides to the brew, this year alone I have had Beau's milk stout, flying monkey's chocolate manifesto milk stout and another chocolate milk stout who's origins I can't recall but it had a cow in rubber boots on the front. Now I am a bit of a hop head so I have to be understanding of my personal bias, but this beer took sweetness to a incomprehensible, unpalatable level. I could not finish this beer and it turned my stomach with its richness. DO NOT drink this beer if you can not handle intense sweetness.

1.81/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Yuk. I guess I don't like chocolate stouts. Not sure what I expected but this isn't it.
Looks great. Pours black coffee black. Caramel colored fluffy head that lasts a while. Leaves nice lacing down sides of glass.
Smells like chocolate syrup, not much else.
Sweet chocolate taste overpowers everything else. Feel is OK but a bit thin even for a sweet stout.
Overall, I can't stand this stuff. Hard to even call it a beer. Can't imagine a food pairing for it.
Heavy Stouts and Porters are my favorite styles but this is way too sweet for me to enjoy. The chocolate is overpowering. Like drinking a Hershey bar
I hate to slam Samuel Smith's because they make some great beers but I don't like this one. Luckily, I have a couple Sam Smith IPA's to get this cloyingly sweet chocolate taste out of my mouth. It might be a very good example of this style, it's just not a style I care for.

1.94/5  rDev -53.7%

I hated it. I was expecting a roasted dry cocoa flavor. Instead it tasted like Newcastle with Hershey's chocolate syrup added. Very disappointed. One of the few beers I was not able to finish. If you are not into sweets STAY AWAY. Expensive beer and not worth it in my opinion.

1.96/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Bottle: Design is nice
Color: dark chocolate color
Foaming: creates 1/2 '' of foam and stays very long time
smells: not quite appetizing sweet but fake chocolate and sugary taste
first feel: chocolate and acidic
fake chocolate smell and taste.
mouth-feel: full body but acidic
finish: acidic bitter at the end weird chocolate

overall: did not like the aroma neither the smell

1.97/5  rDev -53%

Poured beautifully into a Spiegelau stout glass but that is where the wonderfulness ended. Smells like cocoa powder, and tastes like a chocolate soda. Too sweet and chocolaty, even for a sweet stout. I would never have mistaken this beer for a stout as there is no discernible roasted barley character or bitterness. I'm not sure it was even hopped. Mouth feel is very thin and fizzy, not what I expect or like in a stout. This is the first Samuel Smith beer I have tried which I did not absolutely love. I even put it down for a while thinking it might taste better if it was warm, but it didn't help. I poured at least half of it down the drain. If you have a sweet tooth, which I don't, you might like this beer. Very disappointing but I still love Samuel Smith Old Brewery!

2.12/5  rDev -49.4%

$5.29 for a 550ml bottle. Pours out to a clear dark mahogany, forming a tall soapy tan head with very good retention and lacing. Moderate strong carbonation, ~3.0 carbs. The nose is redolent with tootsie roll fake chocolate smell, not really much more than that....Carob. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and somewhat cloying. The taste begins with tootsie roll, has some peanut in the middle, then tootsie roll in the finish. Very mild bitterness, quite sweet considering the lighter body. Minimal to absent roast flavor. Metallic finish with an aftertaste of saccharin.

This is a pretty gross beer. The obviously fake chocolate extract flavor doesn't sit well with the saccharin aftertaste and the metallic finish and the absolute lack of roast flavor. Would not buy it again or recommend it unless you're into "beers" like this. Ugh.

2.41/5  rDev -42.5%

Pours jet black with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweet chocolate, kind of like Hershey's syrup. In the taste, like Hershey's syrup, uber sweet. A small bite, but mainly smooth, and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, and a small dry sweet chocolate in the aftertaste. Uber sweet and sticky, kind of Hershey's syrup like, kind of icky.

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

Tolerable, but not for someone with a refined pallet for stouts. Some great stouts have hints of chocolate or coffee in them this one steps it up 10 notches with an almost overpowering malty chocolate taste, it is certainly not subtle or a hint of it. It slaps you in the face with malty sugarless cocoa flavor.

2.6/5  rDev -37.9%

This beer was not what I expected. Pour into glass was exciting, dark beer, thick head. Aroma was good, came off like a stout. Taste wise was a huge let down. The chocolate was horribly artificial and not from grain or cacao. I was really expecting it one way or another, but the way it came off was a let down. At least I had other stout options to go to for round 2.

2.62/5  rDev -37.5%

550mL bottle into stout glass.

Bottled: 12.03.12
Tasted: 02.10.13

A – Pours near opaque deep dark brown, not black. Some clarity around the edges. Pours a cappuccino like head that thins and leaves nice lacing.

S – Sweet. Malted milk balls, deep rich milk chocolate as opposed to dark chocolate. Smells like sweet fresh white chocolate covered pretzels.

T – Big chocolate notes again, good malted milk notes and not overly sweet. Fresh creamy chocolates come through. No bitterness here, and the sweetness is borderline too much.

M – Surprisingly moderate carbonation, more than I would have expected. Nice though however as it provides a much needed crispness and dryness to the sweet heavy notes.

O – This is dessert in a glass. Chocolate ganache and sweet malted milk notes about. If there were any emerging coffee notes this would be a truly amazing beer. Still this is wonderful in its own right, quite sweet, but still drinkable.

2.66/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: body is pure dark chocolate, topped by a thick, foamy head that crackles like rice krispies

Aroma: here we get a sense of sweet milk chocolate; some nuttiness, maybe hazelnuts

Taste & Mouthfeel: now it's getting into candy sweet chocolate - intensely sweet, much too aggressive; like drinking a flat coke that has a touch of chocolate, right off the bat feeling reluctant to continue with the tasting; carbonation is now almost non-existent; the chocolate flavour has a fakeness to it, almost like plastic

Overall: other reviews were great, maybe this was a bad batch, but it's just unbearably sugary, lacking body and real character

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

I love chocolate stouts and have heard and read nothing but good things about this beer. I hate to say I was rather disappointed. For a beer labeling itself organic all I could think of was fake!

The chocolate is too overpowering. Too sweet and artificial tasting. It gives the impression that they poured chocolate syrup into the vat. There isn't much from the malt to add any complexity or roasted notes on its own, everything is from the chocolate they added.

I had this experience with Young's. Compared to that, Sam's is a bit better. It's probably a good started chocolate stout for someone not into beer.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I know a lot of people liked this beer and I love the chocolate and coffee stouts but this one just didn't taste like a bold flavorful stout. It tasted like melted carbonated candy.

2.77/5  rDev -33.9%

I've spent plenty of time in the company of Samuel Smith products but alas, this one isn't one I'll visit again.

Picked this up last week from my go-to guy; he was quick to flag me down and pull this off the shelf. I had seen the box the day before and was looking forward to finally giving it a try.

The pour into a nonic pint left a healthy, creamy, gorgeous looking tan head afloat a deep, deep chocolate brown stout. Lovely appearance.

Here's where things go pear-shaped: the smell. Maybe I grabbed the one bad bottle out of however many barrels they made, but the aroma kept me from enjoying this. It literally smelled like bad imitation chocolate flavoring. I picked up some of the fruits (plummy, a little fig, perhaps some lactose from milk sugars) but overall it smelled terrible.

Once I made it around the nose, the taste was only so-so. There was almost an oily-ness to it. Chocolate (natch) and some coffee notes were there, but lacking the balance I come to expect from SS.

Mouthfeel was above average; it settled smoothly down the gullet and had a nice chewiness. Not as oily as the initial taste.

I hate to bring the average down, and if I had a bum bottle, I'd be happy to try this again. But overall this was a drain pour for me. I tried to like it, I really did.

2.85/5  rDev -32%

Taste initially pretty good though not really my ideal in a good beer. There's a lingering aftertaste that makes it a tried but won't buy again for me.

2.94/5  rDev -29.8%

Don't have time for a good sized review like I usually do. These well-water beers simply do not cut it for me.

Looks fine with a slightly transparent black appearance with a two finger mocha head and a touch of lacing

Smells chocolatey with some lactose and roastiness.

Tastes the same only with a flavor killing tinge of metal.

Feels watery with a touch of cream.

UPDATE : This beer made me physically sick a few hours after drinking it. I'm not lactose intolerant as I've had quite a few milk stouts. Not sure if infected or what, But I have to adjust my rating accordingly.

2.94/5  rDev -29.8%

I tried this beer after I had a Young's Double Chocolate Stout. It was merely "ok," in my not-so-humble. It smelled good, looked fine, poured well, but the taste was a bit underwhelming. I didn't feel like it had the chocolate taste the Young's had, and the bitterness at the back end overwhelmed the taste it did have.

I would definitely recommend the Young's over this one.

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours black with an off-white head.
Nose shows chocolate syrup, cocoa nibs and chocolate essence. Little else.
Very sweet flavours too. Lots of artificial tasting chocolate and little else. Some soft roast. A bit cloying.
Body feels somewhat watery.

Samuel Smith's Organic chocolate stout 550 ML (18.7 fl oz) bottle $3.99(OH)

the bottle code on the neck reveals it was bottled in Jan 2014. so this stout is fresh.

poured into a 17 oz stemless white wine glass. almost jet black with a two finger thick creamy tan head stays around for a little while, then gives way to decent lacing.

the smell is kind of disappointing. i don't really smell much, just some artificial chocolate. (it smells kind of like play-doh, come one 70's-80's kids you know that smell.)

the taste is that of the smell, good but for Samuel Smith's very disappointing. at first its good. the more you drink the more you taste the artificial chocolate. a big let down. nothing like the imperial stout they make that is so great.

mouth feel is what it is. light and not very pleasant at all. that fake/artificial chocolate (play-doh) taste lingers.

overall i would have to pass on this one, not to say it wasn't OK. but for a milk/sweet stout i was severely disappointed. tasted fake and or artificial. i will stick to other Samuel Smith's brews that i know and love. i don't know if this stout needed to age, but it was pretty bad for S.S. i may try it again if i find an aged bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -27%

(Served in a nonic)

A- This beer pours a jet black body with a thick creamy tan head that last a good spell.

S- The big nougat chocolate syrup aroma dominates and covers any other possible aromas.

T- The taste of cream gives way to a big hershey’s syrup and chocolate nougat flavor with some tootsie roll hints leading to a slightly dry finish. The hershey’s syrup flavor lingers after the finish aswell.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a slippery finish and no alcohol heat.

O- This is like drinking carbonated hershey’s syrup. The stout flavors are overpowered and don’t even come through the artificial chocolate flavor. It was tough getting through this beer.

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Very dark, reddish-brown (not as dense as most stouts, as I could see light from the other side when I held the glass up to the light). The head was 2-fingers of cafe-au-lait colored froth, that lingered a long time, but left scant lacing.

S: Some roasted malt grain malt, and a hint of dried fruit, but dominant aroma was chocolate -- not cocoa or baker's chocolate, but Yoo-hoo chocolate drink.

T: Very sweet initially, with a hint of toasted malt; then chocolate; then more sweet chocolate; then some bitter-sweet chocolate toward the end (so I guess they must have thrown in a couple of hops cones at the end of the boil...). No complexities or subtleties; just chocolate.

M: Moist and decently carbonated up front; slightly chewy in the finish.

O: Heavy on the chocolate, light on the stout. In fact, nothing stout about it other than the color (and even that was more in the porter family). It wasn't bad, but definitely didn't live up to my expectations, either from the labeled style or from the Samuel Smith brand (which has rarely let me down). I've had chocolate beers before that I really liked, but they weren't so overwhelmingly sweet as this one. If I ever get one again (unlikely), I'll drop a scoop of vanilla ice cream in, as dessert is all this one is really good for.

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured a very dark brown (but not black) with a small head that faded quickly. Faint smell of cocoa, toffee, and malty sweetness. Tastes a lot sweeter than most chocolate stouts which tend to resemble more bitter chocolate which I prefer. The biggest is what too watery both for the style and my preference. A small bit of spurned a comes with the aftertaste which I found as strange for the style. I respect Sam Smith and believe their Nut Brown is a signature beer of its style but this one didn't do much for me at all.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)