Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

Reviews: 562 | Ratings: 3,062
3.76/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am a big fan of Samuel Smith beers but this was not only one of the most expensive beers I have purchased in a while, but was not a favourite. The chocolate was overwhelming and there just wasn't much more. A bit thin on top of that. Organic... Whatever...

2.94/5  rDev -29.7%

Don't have time for a good sized review like I usually do. These well-water beers simply do not cut it for me.

Looks fine with a slightly transparent black appearance with a two finger mocha head and a touch of lacing

Smells chocolatey with some lactose and roastiness.

Tastes the same only with a flavor killing tinge of metal.

Feels watery with a touch of cream.

UPDATE : This beer made me physically sick a few hours after drinking it. I'm not lactose intolerant as I've had quite a few milk stouts. Not sure if infected or what, But I have to adjust my rating accordingly.

OMG, this beer is so amazing! If you want a chocolate tasting stout, this is definitely what you're looking for. It seriously tastes like Nesquik, in a good way. I am loving this beer and going to buy it again as soon as possible.

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Very creamy and very easy to drink. Reminds me less of chocolate milk and more of ovaltine or a cold glass of hot cocoa. When I was younger I was only interested in a chocolate milk beer, if I ever decided to drink; this doesn't quite fit that bill, but I think even my younger self would really enjoy this one.

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I know a lot of people liked this beer and I love the chocolate and coffee stouts but this one just didn't taste like a bold flavorful stout. It tasted like melted carbonated candy.

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a Spiegelau stout glass. Pours with three (!!!) fingers worth of khaki foam that dissipates to a fingers worth of foam within three minutes (best dissipation rate that I have ever seen). Black in color with an orange tint (I love this combination). Has extremely strong aromas of milk chocolate (yummy!) that combine elgantly with strong vanilla aromas, mild coffee aromas, and a hint of alcohol. Initial taste is of strong milk chocolate flavors that mix with mild vanilla flavors. Subtle coffee and alcohol flavors enter shortly after the initial taste as both initial flavors persist. Light bodied, extremely creamy so much that the flavor sticks in your throat, with subtle carbonation. Move over Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, I have a new favorite milk/sweet stout.

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours black
Smells of chocolate
Taste is the same, but there is something additional a can't put my finger on.
Beer has a great feel to it and was an exceptional choice today.
Makes me want to try more Samuel Smith products.

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I’ve fallen in love with this brew!! Just another example of Sam Smith excellence. From the look, aroma, mouthfeel, and taste...just extraordinary. If you’re a lover of chocolate, vanilla, and beer....you’re gonna love this stout! Pairs well with a cigar too.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an opaque black with a thick, fluffy, coffee cream color head. Aroma is all chocolate, smells like a slightly roasty herseys kiss or syrup. Taste is more of the same with a slight roast complimenting the chocolate syrup flavors. Sweet and chocolaty, but not cloying. Mouthfeel is thin, but it doesn't detract much from the experience, especially for a regular stout, not being an imperial version. Overall, a very good beer, and a wonderful experience! Samuel Smiths can do no wrong it seems.

A: black body of ale under a few fat fingers of dark tan foam

S: mild roasty malts with accents of chocolate, coffee, and char

T: mild and smooth bittersweet chocolate malt and cocoa, earthy and mellow

M: light-feeling with some softness; mild aftertaste, hints of faded cocoa

O: a very nice beer - smooth and mellow for easy drinking, accents of chocolate are nice but not overwhelming. Sweetness is subdued. Drinks dry and classy.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Its very good, however it is not one of Samuel smiths best beer. Im more of a fan of their oatmeal stout. You cant really taste the qualities that make Samuel smith great, mainly due to the overdue of chocolate. BUT THE SMELL IS TO DIE FOR, OMG

3.12/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured a very dark brown (but not black) with a small head that faded quickly. Faint smell of cocoa, toffee, and malty sweetness. Tastes a lot sweeter than most chocolate stouts which tend to resemble more bitter chocolate which I prefer. The biggest is what too watery both for the style and my preference. A small bit of spurned a comes with the aftertaste which I found as strange for the style. I respect Sam Smith and believe their Nut Brown is a signature beer of its style but this one didn't do much for me at all.

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Poured this into a standard American Pint. Glad I tried this beer.
A: dark brown, with a thick tan or light brown head with little to no carbonation and very thick lacing.
S: Chocolatey with a hint of vanilla
T: tastes like a tootsie roll, so very chocolatey hints of vanilla and oats
M: Sweet, very thick with a long lasting flavor
O: One of the best dessert beers I have ever tasted, I would gladly use this beer for a beer float.

2.85/5  rDev -31.8%

Taste initially pretty good though not really my ideal in a good beer. There's a lingering aftertaste that makes it a tried but won't buy again for me.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Black in color with no penetration to light. There's a fingernail of beige on top. It smells like rich chocolate. The taste is like chocolate milk with some light bitterness from roasted barley. The mouth is smooth and silky.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From a 550 into a tulip glass.

Pour us pitch black with 2 fingers of thin kaki head. Head fades very quickly and leaves no lace on the glass. A little more carbonation than I'm use to in a stout.

Smell is exactly like tins if Hershey's baking coco. It's like I'm getting ready to make no bake cookies. I've had coffee and chocolate (both milk and dark) and coco smells before but nothing this clear and strong. The smell is so potent I can't find much else but general nuttiness and maybe some toasty maltyness.

Taste follows smell exactly. It's like drinking Hershey coco. Possible the most pure chocolate flavor I've come across in a beer.

Feel is nice. Chocolate flavor lasts until the next sip. Smooth with absolutely no bitterness. Wow!

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Samuel Smith's labels, as well as a few other things I've read about their beers seem to indicate that their brewery sits upon a magic well, which is what makes all of their brews turn out as best in class. it's the unique mineral content they say. I kind of believe it. I love the flavor of every one of their stouts and quite frankly, I have noticed a similarity in the foundations of the flavor profile between the different lines. Maybe it is just the water!

At any rate, this one is every bit as good as the rest of the Sam Smith line. It pours a deep, deep brown, nearly black if your lighting isn't first rate. It smells like a gloriously decadent bar of dark chocolate and follows that up by tasting like it as well, except with a smooth creaminess taking the edge of the bitter chocolate notes. This brew is glorious and you'll want another, although it is far too rich to drink more than one. Still, I can't imagine a better dessert after the evening meal...

4.39/5  rDev +5%

Look: very dark brown- almost black
Smell: Amazing. Hershey's syrup with a hint of nuttiness
Taste: Largely follows the nose. Chocolate, roasted nuttiness, and a hint of coconut. The first sip was probably the best one but still very good all the way through.
Mouth: A little thin. Surprisingly carbonated but this felt more balanced the more I drank it.

Overall, this is a great low abv stout. The nose is fantastic and the taste reminded me of a Mounds candy bar. Not as ridiculously sweet as some have complained but certainly a dessert beer. I was really impressed with the first few sips and enjoyed it till the last drop.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown color with a thick, brown head (that fittingly resembles chocolate milk). Head recedes rather quickly leaving a ring of lacing around the edge. Some slight, patchy lacing on the sides achieved only by swishing.

Aroma is rich, creamy, silky chocolate. So incredibly vivid, one of the more impressively accurate aromas I've yet seen captured in a beer. Some cocoa and a splash of vanilla.

Taste, as in the aroma, absolutely nails the chocolate notes. Some slight nuttiness. A good deal of sweetness on the finish. Cocoa is still there. A hint of ground coffee beans. Not the most complex variety of tastes. The chocolate notes, however, have a lot of depth to them. Really progresses in taste as a piece of chocolate would, starting out with a sense of chewiness, and going down smoothly, like a melted chocolate.

Light-medium body. Pretty light for a stout. Decent amount of bitterness and a bit sticky going down. Higher carbonation for a stout.

This is a fantastic beer. If you like chocolate, you will like this beer. This would go perfectly along with some cake.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Holy freakin delicious. Most chocolate I've ever tasted in a chocolate stout. In a blind test I'd choose this over a chocolate shake. Perfect dessert beer. And organic to boot. A+

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok I haven't read any of the reviews yet so this is my UNVARNISHED UNBIASED opinion. Here are my notes upon drinking it (I poured into a tulip cos that's all I have):

smell: rich chocolatey. mmm
head: medium, dies down quickly
color: black
taste: wow so smooth and rich, really chocolate milkshake is what comes to mind. with some coffee as well. you know, a stout. but not bitter. it's sweet

Well, that was very unenlightening. My beer notes usually are. I will say this beer is better than its packaging. The label is unattractive. It looks very old-timey English, but not in a good way. It reminds me of a musty pub. Samuel Smith should hire whoever does Unibroue's design, cos Unibroue labels are the best

One of my favorite beers of all time. I wish i had one in front of my right now. Taste is out of this world witch rich chocolate nodes that are amplified by the smell that is just a sweet. A must try.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours two fingers of head on a black body.
The aroma is rich chocolate, vanilla and toast. Wonderful.
The taste has chocolate sweetness, then coffee bitter.
The texture is smooth but still fizzy.
Outstanding.

4.39/5  rDev +5%

Samuel Smith: Those magnificent bastards! I didn’t read their book (I don’t think they’ve written one*) but I am continuously impressed whenever I crack open a bottle of Mr. Smith’s Good Time Juice, aka all of their beers that I have tried. Today’s Sam Smith brew is their Organic Chocolate Stout [where have you been all my life?] or, as I often have to do with a Samuel Smith review, I’ve initialised the beer name to SSOCS to save on word space... hmmm, SSOCS... sort of like socks, I like it.

Poured from a generous almost-a-pint-but-not 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Looks like a glass of a certain ™ popular cola beverage... with a khaki-coloured 2 cm head on top - how very un-cokelike of this brew to have a head. The head soon reduces to a centimetre, that’s more cokelike of it. 8/10.

S: Full cocoa on the nose, which takes on a hint of coconut character (as cocoa can do sometimes, I think it’s the oil in the cocoa bean) with hints of cream and a solid Stout note of chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Chocolate milkshake in a beer in a pint glass - superb! 10/10.

T: Wow, this is one sweet beer... literally! This beer is aimed squarely at chocolate lovers with the above flavour characters of: Cocoa, coconut, milk chocolate and that hint of vanilla. Finish is skewed towards sweetness but it does contain a hint of cacao bitterness and mild astringency. 9/10.

M: Medium, but slightly watery bodied with a thin to flat classic UK pub carbonation. The wateriness pulls it back from greatness as this beer could definitely have benefited from its Oatmeal Stout cousin’s bag of flaked oats, oh well. 7/10.

D: This is too singular on the sweet tooth side for most beer drinkers I suspect... however I’m enjoying the break from hops - not every beer needs to be a see-saw balance between sweet/bitter - sometimes it is nice to indulge in a decadent chocolate dessert and this beer is the perfect complement to that experience, even if it is incomplete as a true beer experience. Final word: This is the best example of a “Chocolate Stout” I’ve had thus far, if you’re crossing off some sort of chocolate-flavoured beer bucket list this one should be at or near the top. 8/10.

Food match: Chocolate cake, something Black Forest-y, or a torte - stick with desserts for this brew, trust me.

*A shiny new donkey for whomever gets that film reference - AND - brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Had fun with this one. Very nice taste: Sweet and smooth. Interestingly, the overwhelming smell / taste is not chocolate, but vanilla! (Sort of how I'd envisioned the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, but this one truly delivers on those flavors.) May keep a 4-pack of these cellared / on-hand going forward.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)