Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Organic Chocolate StoutOrganic Chocolate Stout
4.23/5
Exceptional
Organic Chocolate StoutOrganic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

#915

Ratings: 3,308 |  Reviews: 642

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a dark, near black color with a really thick, tan colored head that is really slow to dissipate leaving really distinct lacing down the glass.

Smell is really chocolaty. I get a little coffee with the chocolate and maybe a little nuttiness. As I continue to sniff this one, I also get a little of the alcohol smell which surprises me from a beer that has such a low ABV.

Taste is of chocolate just as the nose would suggest. I have described this beer to some of my non-craft beer drinking friends as like chocolate milk beer.

Mouthfeel is a little watery for my taste. This is such a big flavor, I was looking for something a little more full. I guess that is me thinking it is chocolate milk and I am looking for that full feel from milk.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. It is absolutely delicious. I did a beer dinner recently and paired this with a chocolate brownie and it was pretty much heaven.

The best chocolate stout I've ever had. One of the few beers I've given a 5/5. Would drink this any time, any place, any occasion.

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

silky smooth, nice chocolate aroma and flavor.

4.04/5  rDev -4.5%

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. I've always said I'd never give a beer a perfect 5 rating but this one is probably as close as I'll ever come. Outstanding beer. The only thing I can think of that would raise my opinion of this beer would be a higher ABV%, I'd like a little kick of alcohol at the finish, otherwise it's pretty much perfect. Easily within the top three beers that I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Beer rating: 4.23 out of 5 with 3,308 ratings