Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

Ratings: 3,172 |  Reviews: 600

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

500ml bottle of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout in a nonic.

Pours with a weak head over a very dark brown body. Limited lacing.

The aroma of chocolate clomes out loud and clear. Rather like hot chocolate without the extra dairy, and some chocolate nibs.

Flavor: sweet, perhaps just a touch above optimum. Some dark roast (and light bitterness) in the aftertaste but largely masked by the chocolate before then.

Feel: Medium body and near medium carbonation; Creamy smooth yet with an undesired sharpness.

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

For a stout I prefer a little more thickness and in this case that's the only thing this beer did not deliver. I have had the pleasure of enjoying this brew on multiple occasions now and the thin texture is the only negative thing i have to say about this otherwise heavenly brew.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout, poured into a Craftgeer snifter.

Look - Pours a thin viscosity brown with a small white foamy head. Exceptional lacing.

Smell - Chocolate milk and malt. Definitely cocoa powder or some form thereof, though it's organic so there's that.

Taste - Chocolate milk beer. Sweet cocoa and malt.

Mouthfeel - Thin body with low carb. Rests roasted malt slightly bitter, gives it a bit of character.

Overall - Solid tasty brew. It's not beerish, but it's a tasty drink. More like a chocolate drink. Definitely a milk/sweet stout.

4.96/5  rDev +18.7%

WOW. This beer is divine. Celestial. Superb. I opened the bottle and smelled it and looked at my dad (we always try new beers together) and said "oh my god, it smells like chocolate syrup". I poured it into our glasses and he had the first sip. He looked at me and said "oh my god". My mother, who doesn't like beer at all tried some. It is the first beer she didn't cringe after drinking it. This beer is seriously so good. I might be biased as I prefer stouts to most beers (aside from Weihenstephan Original Lager), but this is honest to god a good beer. We found it at a store in Atlanta, but the name escapes me. But it was $5 for a pint. A while ago I had marked this as a "want" on BA and forgot about it and by chance we grabbed it without me remembering. I wish I had grabbed more. I would buy again. Definitely.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)