Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England)

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

Reviews: 555 | Ratings: 3,036
4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

500ml served in a snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark brown color forming s big and aired beige head. Medium retention and lots of lingering lacings formed and left in the glass

S: A chocolate bomb, really. I've never drank a beer with such a strong smelk of chocolate. Also sweet malts, roasted malts and vanilla. Notes of chesnuts as well

T: Pretty much like the nose. Sweet upfront. Notes of chocolate, chocolate malts, roasted malts. A bit milky and lactic

M: Medium and creamy body. Medium to low carbonation. Lactic aftertaste

O: Great ale. Excelent example of Milk Stout and chocolate based Stout

4.65/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a mug from a bomber. The pour resulted in an oily black liquid with a good amount of lovely tan head that dissipated fairly quickly, leaving delicate lacing. It smells like chocolate syrup: absolutely delicious and tantalizing to the taste buds. Mouthfeel is very smooth although slightly bubbly. Taste is sweet with a bitter chocolate taste, with a smooth coffee finish. Overall, this is a wonderful stout and entirely enjoyed.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Poured pitch black into snifter. Settled into a 1.5 finger tan head that lingered for quite a while. Head was velvety smooth with small bubbles. No light is getting though this beer.

S: Soo chocolatey. I smelled it when I popped the cap. Second whiff I smelled vanilla. I also sort of smell gas station slush puppies that I remember getting as a kid.

T: Not surprisingly, Chocolate! Cream soda. If you try real hard, you can tell you're drinking a beer and detect a hop

M: Really smooth. Medium-light bodied. Alcohol drying effect. It left my lips feeling sticky though, and I didn't care for that.

O: A good beer that I'm glad I was able to try. My buddy bought it for me. Not something I would seek out for myself. If you are looking for chocolate beer, I think you'd be hard pressed to find more of it in a beer. I personally just prefer to taste more in my beer that sweet chocolate.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

Organic Chocolate Stout opens to an aroma that is immediately reminiscent of milk chocolate - the kind that Dove or Cadbury uses, rich with sugar and milk, almost oozing sweetness; or like a glass of heavy cream into which a God’s ransom of Lindt Chocolate Syrup (if such a thing existed, sigh) had been stirred – with a shovelful or two of high-quality caramel, and extremely subtle contrasting whiffs of coffee. The beer smells far more like a five-star dessert than anything else: handmade chocolate ice cream with chocolate and caramel syrups drizzled over a handmade chocolate gooey brownie, with a handmade graham cracker crumbled over the top. In short, the beer is sweet, gooey (even on the nose), rich, and amazingly full. If a candy bar actually smelled as good as this beer does, I’d be a very fat man. This does, of course, mean that there’s not much beer smell here, despite the fact that it’s a stout, but the incredible chocolaty aromas pretty much make up for it. If anything, however, the beer is too sweet, being off-balanced, and in need of another aroma to bring things back to reality.

On the tongue, the flavors do prove a bit better balanced, though the primary notes are still sweet milk chocolates, heavy on lactose and sugar and cream, and the beer is instantly reminiscent of handmade chocolate milk – the kind bought from a ‘50s diner, or reinvented by a five-star restaurant. The subtle contrasting notes include bits of pecan, as well as light coffee, and even a faint ashy presence, though this is fairly far down. Threads of chocolate liqueur add an alcoholic layer, though very lightly so, the 5% ABV barely announcing its presence. Faint bits of graham cracker add some bready notes. The aftertaste is a continuation of the main mouthful, though as the sugars die off a few bitter ashy, bready, and even faintly piney notes do appear, somewhat spoiling things by clashing with the chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium-light to medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, it’s difficult to imagine more chocolate flavor crammed into a beer, and if that’s the sort of thing you’re after, then this should be on your must-try list. It would also make an excellent dessert beer, or an ingredient in a good dessert or, perhaps, mole sauce. As a stout, though, it’s very sweet, and hardly any of the stout flavors come through, making things seem off-balance.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured a bottle of this into my trusty Lagunitas mason jar glass. I smelled the chocolate as soon as I opened this.
A: Dark, nice 1 to 2 finger head. Good lacing. Exactly what I was excepting
S: Chololate. Hints of vanilla and maybe malts and toffee. Did I mention CHOCOLATE!
T: More chocolate. Hints again of vanilla, caramel malts, and maybe, just maybe some dark fruit if you look for it. Sweet and rich which is what I was looking for.
M: Medium body, not as think as I was expecting or what i generally want in a stout, however as sweet and rich as this beer is the medium body suits it very well.
O: I love this brew. I have had several of these over the past few months and will always have a few on hand.
I do question the availability of this beer. Several bars in the greater Cleveland area have it (Winking Lizard for sure), several wine/beer stores and even many of the Giant eagles. I think this is a regular beer for Samuel Smith base on how many places here have it. I hope it is.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle received as an extra in a trade.

Pours a dark, hazy brown. 1 inch head, that looks like chocolate whipped cream. Good lacing down the glass.

The aroma is pure, 100% creamy milk chocolate. Smells like Yoo-Hoo.

The taste is similar. Barely beer-like, this tastes like an (albeit excellent) chocolate dessert liqueur, or simply a super rich adult milkshake. Cocoa powder, melted chocolate ice cream, Hershey's syrup, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Can't taste much else here, really.

Medium bodied, very syrupy sweet mouthfeel. Low carbonation.

Pure chocolate delight. Don't go in if you want a thirst quenching traditional beer- this is what's for dessert, my friend.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I've heard a rave review and a disappointed review from friends. Let's see where I fall.

A: Solid head, a bit clumpy. Nice deep opaque mahogany color.

S: Mmm, that smells good. Chocolate and butterscotch, both quite strong. I'd be quite inclined to eat or drink anything that smelled like this. Like mixing chocolate sauce, butterscotch sauce, and rum, and pouring that over vanilla ice cream.

T: Huh. This beer's odd. It's almost as if there are two separate beers here and rather than harmonizing, they sit apart from each other on the palate. One's rich, sweet, flat, and matches the sweet chocolate and butterscotch in the smell. The other one's dry, sharply carbonated, shows its alcohol, and is a bit bitter. Part cocoa powder bitterness, part hops. Neither is unpleasant, although if I were to choose one, I'd take the first. It's not out of balance, either. At least right now, I like it with reservations.

M: A bit thinner than I expected, and also a bit thinner than I think I'd want it to be.

I don't think there's any way this is topping Southern Tier's Choklat for me. However, I'll have to try it a couple more times to see if the strange flavor juxtaposition is more interesting or jarring.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As a big fan of chocolate and coffee stout beers, I am constantly on a quest for different offerings. However, everytime I go to try a new brew, I find myself also picking up some Samuel Smith's as well. Since, my first bottle, it has not been challenged as my favorite chocolate stout. It remains firmly planted atop my list of favorites.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

550ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Very dark brown, a little light comes in around the edges, with a billowing, creamy tan head that dissipated fairly quickly.

S- big notes of cocoa, and lactose sweetness. Smells like your house when you make brownies. Nice.

T- A very nice cocoa, think brownies that you just can't have one of. What I really enjoy about this is the hint of black raspberry you get. It's very feint, but it's there, and is a really enjoyable accent. Sweetness lingers long after the sip.

M- Needs to be thicker. Really quite thin for a stout, even at 5% abv.

O- Really tasty, and I'll gladly buy more of this from time to time.

4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours an opaque yet clear jet black in color with light amounts of visible carbonation and light cola brown highlights. The beer has a two finger tall creamy light tan head that slowly reduces to a couple of medium sized medium thick patches, a thick film covering the entire remaining surface of the beer, and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of chocolate milk, cocoa, and Hershey's syrup.

T: Upfront there are moderate to strong flavors of chocolate milk with some moderate notes of cocoa and some light to moderate flavors of Hershey's syrup. Light amounts of sweetness that lingers.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Creamy.

O: I really enjoyed this beer but it reminds me a bit of drinking Swiss Miss hot chocolate or Hershey's chocolate milk without quite as much lactose/milk sweetness. Easy to drink because of the lower ABV and lighter body.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Black. Pours about a half finger, foamy brown-white head. Quickly dissipates leaving merely a light ring around the rim of the glass. Spotty, uneven lacing, mostly retreats back into the body of the brew. Head renews fully with each pour.

S: A little coffee roasted malt and almond, and tons o' chocolate.

T: Light char with a little hop, and plenty of dark sweet chocolate. Offset with a touch of black licorice or pecan shell.

M: Light bodied. Sweet in the front, and bitter in the finish. Has something of a synthetic feel to it.

D: Not much resistance here, but there's a pungent aftertaste that will probably dictate a slower experience.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Dark hue, decent head, but some miniscule lacing. Nose is a really strong chocolate with some roasted malt components. Flavor is also hefty in the chocolate department. Mostly crowds out the remaining components. Not badly done. Overall, this is a good quaff.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a glass mug. The beer pours a creamy dark chocolate brown with a thick, light tan head. There's a ring of lacing left along the top of the beer after the head recedes. This lacing also travels down the glass during consumption. The aroma is strongly of chocolate and vanilla. There's some malt in the aroma as well, so the beer smells somewhat like what I would expect if you put something like Whoppers malted milk balls in a beer. The smell was inviting and the flavor is on the next level. There are those sweet chocolate notes up front that almost remind me of chocolate syrup on the first sip. Then those chocolate notes blend rather well with the malt backbone of this beer. Once again, my mind conjures up a less sweet version of Whoppers malted milk balls, but with more roastiness due to the fact that this is still a stout. The body is medium with a creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation is moderate and there is some light lingering aftertaste. The beer drinks well, making this an easy to drink dessert beer. This is an excellent beer.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow, what a great beer, and almost exactly what I imagined it would be when I bought it. This is the closest thing you will ever have to a chocolate soda. To start, the smell is absolutely wonderful and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 5 was that I just wanted it to be a tad stronger. The aroma is sweet milk chocolate with vanilla and coconut and a hint of cherries. Taste follows very close to this; sweet and chocolatey up front and finishes with some malt and yeast and a touch of coffee bitterness. Not terribly complex, but perfectly balanced. Body feels a bit thin for the style, but creamy none the less. This would be absolutely amazing on Nitro.Overall amazing, a treat for anyone who likes stouts, loves chocolate, or wants a not overly-sweet dessert beer.

EDIT: This has only grown on me... seriously one of my favorite beers. The texture and mouthfeel has grown on me too; not heavy and overbearing like a lot of stouts. It's so delicious!

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark. Lingering, slight surface head.
Smell: Chocolate.
Taste: Liquid chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Creamy.

This really is delicious; perhaps my favorite sweet stout. Every whiff and taste is pure chocolate. There is no hinting here. This would be a perfect beer to get one started with darker beers, or simply beer. I will get this again. It's certainly not an all-the-time drink, but on occasion it provides a great experience.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked up a pint of this at Peter's Imports. Looked very appealing. I have never had a "sweet stout" before and this one was a good introduction.

P: Served this in a Duvel tulip glass to bring out more of the aroma. Nice black chocolately color with about a finger of light brown head that slowly disappears after awhile leaving a nice lacing around the glass.

S: Tons of chocolate with maybe a touch of vanilla or could be lactose. The smell reminds me of a powdery coca mix that is added to make hot chocolate.

T: Loads of sweet milky chocolate upfront followed by some bitter dark chocolate on the backend.

M: Very thin for a stout. Smooth and creamy.

O: Very easy drinker. I would highly recommend this to someone who doesn't like beer or stouts. The mouthfeel was a bit thin for me and not quite as robust as I am used to for a stout. However, I really love the beer that Samuel Smith puts out there. I would drink this again but wouldn't rush to buy it.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout has a very thick, beige head and an extremely dark brown appearance, with lots of heavy lacing rings left behind. The aroma is chocolate forward, and that’s about it- sweet, rich chocolate. Taste is the same, sweet, rich, tangy chocolate, some bread, some malt, and almost no bitterness, except for a touch of it at the very end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout finishes wet, chocolaty, and sweet. If you didn’t know it, you’d never guess that this was a beer of any sort. Overall, for what it is, I will say that it is most excellent.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

poured from bottle into wili becher pint glass

A: dark brown-black, with 1 inch head that dissiapted quickly, leaving a light foam lacing on the glass.

S: dry chocolate, nothing else ( this is not a bad thing at all)

t: mild roastiness up front, followed by a solid taste of relatively dark chocolate. just a touch of sweetness, not close to something like Youngs.

m: exactly what you would expect out of an English style stout; mild carbonation on the front of the tongue. very smooth texture, medium thickness.

o: A solid beer that is now one of my wife's and my new favorite non imperial chocolate beer. Another solid stout by the people at sammy smith.

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Black body with a head of light brown foam head. The head is about two fingers of foam, with great retention. There is not much lacing at all with this beer.

S- Probably the best smelling beer I have ever tried. There's a pleasant smell of vanilla, with some light baker's chocolate and some sweetness that I cannot define, probably the lactose. Smells like a chocolate milkshake.

T- Can taste the chocolate malt that gives some light initial bitterness, as well as some light chocolate that mellows out the bitterness from the malt. There are also some hops that make the finish bitter, but not too bitter as the sweet lactose works with the hops.

M- Sadly, very light and thin to me. For this style I enjoy more thickness. Very sticky and moderate carbonation.

O- One of my top chocolate stouts. Just extremely tasty and great a desert beer. They definitely hit the mark with the aroma, but I wish it was a little more robust in flavor. If more breweries were making milk stouts like this, I feel like they would be more popular.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Saw this at Gary's up in Wayne and I was short of packs here at the house, so I grabbed four of these. I didn't know what the appeal was with the organic aspect of this but I love every beer that I've ever had from Samuel Smith's and this was no exception to this. Most of the Stouts that I've had lately seemed to be caught up in an arms race to see which can be the hoppiest, boldest, and strongest, but this one had such a nice understated aspect to it that it just may be my new favorite for this style!

Nice pour to this, with a dark hue and lighter head that contrasted nicely with the liquid, reminding me of a good chocolate mousse. Lots of milk and power chocolate to the nose with a hint of lactose that was a bit stronger in the taste. This was neither sticky nor bitter, and the roasted, espresso notes that tend to characterize Stouts were not to be found here. Instead, this felt like an egg cream without the whip cream, because of how smooth and silky this beer was. Very little hops and no alcohol to be detected here, it almost felt as if I took a Ghirardelli bar and melted it into some farm-fresh milk. The alkali wasn't here but there's just a bit o power-like residue that seems to be present here, in the taste and not in the mouthfeel.

Thought I only had one of these at a time, this would be great to enjoy as a dessert unto itself, one after another. At no time did this feel like beer because the alcohol never made itself known and the creaminess hit whatever booze was present in this beer. While it will never measure up to the heavier Stouts, the organic nature of this comes through because of how natural this tasted and felt. It calls for some milk chocolate bars or truffles to go with it but why ruin a good thing? This is one of those beers that's a meal unto itself and doesn't need anything hard to ruin the pure enjoyment that it offers.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nose is heavily leaning to cream soda with notions of vanilla, cocoa and molasses brimming forth as well.

On the pour it is average darkness hued with moderate translucency around the edges and a ho hum head that disappears quicker than I would have thought.

Sweetened dark chocolate and cocoa are the first foremost frontrunners, flavor wise. Roasted caramel is just a faint echo somewhere in the background.

Not incredibly thick in the mouth which in this case I call a good thing. I think we all tend to get sort of accustomed to chocolate stouts with that thick oatmeal backing, and here's proof that that's not a necessity.

Overall this is very pleasing sip after sip. Sweet and heavy on chocolate without being unrefined. It's nice to have a chocolate stout that is unabashedly one yet manages to stay endearing and never obnoxious.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Deep ebony body, crowned by a dense, cloud-top head, with Belgian-type lacing. The head retains quite well.

Aroma: Profound note of sweet chocolate in the aroma, rather like cocoa. There are notes of vanilla, as well, and a suggestion of milk.

Taste: Opens with a strong wave of sweet chocolate. As the taste progresses, there are mild toasted grain notes, and as in the aroma, notes of vanilla and milk. That being said, the sweet chocolate flavor dominates the taste from start to finish. There is a little, mild hop bitterness at the close.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and full, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A very nice dessert beer, pairs very well with chocolate-based desserts.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom embossed 550ml brown glass bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purhased at World Market in March of 2013 for $5.49/bbl.

4.15/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Organic Chocolate Stout pours a black color, with a nice sized tan head. There is a strong chocolate aroma. The taste contains lots of chocolates, and hints of hops bite throughout the taste. A bit of a funky aftertaste, but good full flavor. Overall a nice interesting chocolate stout with a bit of a bite in it.

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a decent creamy foamy 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace with a bit of lacing, very dark essentially pitch black beer.

Nose is just all chocolate, candy chocolate, milk choc mostly, like Hershey candy bar, sine light cocoa nibs and bakers choc, hint of vanilla with it, little caramel, not much else.

Taste starts with creamy choc again, milk choc, little bakers choc, again that candy bar choc with lush melting choc, but also a little fake choc kinda taste, and a bit of a make syrup kinda thing as well, a bit strange. Light honey malt flavor, little caramel and candy syrup. A light earthy hop flavor and bitterness to. Finish is drier, little sticky though, lots if lingering cheap choc flavor, light earthy bittering hops.

Mouth is med bodied bit creamy and bit syrupy, fluffy carb.

Overall not bad but harder for new to drink since its pretty much just cheaper end chocolate candy bar flavor and very little beer, bust still tasty as a dessert.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This pours a very dark brown color with a foamy, light brown head. The aroma is sweet with chocolate and malt. The taste is robust and fairly light from lots of carbonation. It finishes very sweet leaving a lingering chocolate taste. This certainly leaves a different taste than beers brewed with cocoa. Overall, this was a pretty good desert style stout.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)