Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
England, United Kingdom
samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

Ratings: 3,188 |  Reviews: 605
4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - 550 mL bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass. The head and lacing are probably the best I've ever seen in a beer. Beautiful tan head that just stays around forever. Pours an opaque ruby red/black. One the best looking beers I've ever seen.

Smell - heavy chocolate, sweet cream, sugar, barley.

Taste - bitter cocoa, sweet chocolate, cream.

Feel - very creamy/velvety & goes down super easy

Overall - a very good world-class beer, but a tad too sweet for my palate to consider it one of my all-time bests.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Good beer, poured in a pint and let it rest for a while. Tastes great, good for dessert. Great for a day after work

4.74/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

While I'm not much of a stout fan, I can't help but love this beer. Very light and easy mouthfeel; not as heavy and dry as some stouts, and makes for a great desert as much as it does a breakfast addition.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and I since I'm in the mood for a Chocolate Stout I thought this would be a good choice, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a little over a fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the chocolate being the first to show up and it dominates the aroma with of this beer with a nice fudge like aroma and some chocolate syrup like aromas. Up next comes just a slight roasted malt and sweet malt like aroma. This beer had a really nice aroma that was just dominated by the chocolate.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the chocolate being the first to show up and it's just as dominating as it was in the aroma and it imparts those same fudge and chocolate syrup aspects. Up next comes the roasted malts which show up just a little more than they did in the aroma and there's some sweet malts showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and lots of chocolate showing up in the aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer that lives up to it's name.

M- Very smooth, rich, a little crisp, slightly creamy, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer has a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style. it had everything that I look for in a Chocolate Stout and while it wasn't the most balanced I thought those nice chocolate aspects made up for it. This beer had good drinkability, it was very smooth, rich, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these and it would be a nice beer to enjoy during the cold weather. What I like the most about this beer is the chocolate aspect, it's very nice and it's just what I want in a chocolate stout. What I like the least about this beer was the sweetness, it wasn't bad, but it was just a little on the sweet side for me. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a chocolate stout and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style. All in all I liked this beer, it isn't something that I could drink all the time, but it's nice for when I want my chocolate fix. It's now my favorite beer from this brewery and it's one of the best chocolate stouts I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep it up.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Smooth sweet taste. No bitterness at all. It's just liquid goodness!

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from the pint 2.7 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark brown, opaque up to the light, the head is about two fingers of khaki foam, minimal lacing. Aroma is of dark Malts, milk chocolate (yes milk), biscuit, and a hint of fruit (maybe cherry?). Taste is very similar to the aroma, milk chocolate with a hint of malty/ biscuity taste at the end, nearly too sweet for my liking. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, evspdcially a chocolate stout. Overall decent, not something I'd go out of my way to get again, as say a southern tier mokah. 4/5

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into an IPA glass.
A - Pours black with a tan head that settles to a cap.
S - First I caught the aroma when I opened the bottle. So much chocolate off the top of the bottle.
T - Sweet and chocolatey. Most chocolate flavored beers lean toward the dark chocolate side. This is the closest I've tasted to a milk chocolate flavor in beer. You could pour this over ice cream.
M - Nice chewy mouth feel, chocolate flavor coats your mouth and lasts a long time.
O - One of the best chocolate beers I've ever tasted. Can't believe I waited this long.

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A moderate pour from the 550 ml bottle into a shaker pint glass produces about an inch of tan colored head that proves fairly sticky. The beer is a very dark ruddy brown.

Plenty of chocolate aromas and flavors, along with a little dark fruit and a little biscuit. Maybe a touch of brown sugar somewhere. A dark fruit tang combines with the chocolate to produce a chocolate covered cherry effect. The mouth feel is rather thin for a stout, but it works with this beer.

This is an excellent beer and another winner from Sam Smith 's. Reasonably priced at only 3-something for the bottle.

3.84/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)