Capital City Amber Waves | Capitol City Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by GCBrewingCo on 01-26-2004

Reviews by GCBrewingCo:
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

The beer arrived at the table an amber brown color. The head was off-white and lasting.

The aroma had very little going on. A very slight caramel, but no hop aroma.

The flavor was caramel with a substantial bitterness.

The finish was dry and bitter and that bitterness lasted into the aftertaste. The body was light.

On tap.

I am overall fan of the the beers of Capital City Brewery. Amber Waves always sticks out the after taste is not as smooth as I would have liked but it is still a good beer to try at the their breweries. It has a great color and aroma. It is a great beer to start with when visiting one of their locations.

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer on-tap tonight at the Stoudt's Microbrewery Festival. It was the first beer of the night after a long wait to get in and I just wanted something to take to the food table with me before starting the night off. What a surprise! It’s really hoppy. More like Rogue St. Red than I expected.
I wonder if this beer is bottled. The tap handle had a busty woman with amber red locks of hair flowing over her bosom. Reminded me of Wailing Wench.

Appearance: Served brilliant bold amber red with creamy white head and decent lacing.

Smell: Very hoppy in the nose. Though dominated by a floral aroma the caramel malt follows in suit.

Taste: Smooth creamy caramel malts teeter-totter with the bitterness scratched into your cheeks. The best part is the sting in the aftertaste and the lingering bitterness; went nicely with the German food.

Mouthfeel: medium body but active feeling due to the bitterness and the carbonation.

Drinkability: This would be a sessioner if you like 'em bitter but after a couple I would want to keep up to this one Certainly worth trying. Well done Capital City.

Hope this is helpful.
Chers!

2.78/5  rDev -18%

This brew poured with a nice slightly tan head, and great lacing that lasts all the way through. The body is dark amber, almost opaque. The aroma is dominated by hops, as well as the taste. When I ordered this beer, I was expecting something less hoppier. Even though the malt is darkly roasted, there's not much sweetness to this brew. Not balanced at all. This is closer to an IPA to me than an Amber.

TheSarge

3.77/5  rDev +11.2%

I had this beer at the Capitol City Brew Pub in the Postal Museum building across from Union Station.

I was served an amber brew, dispensed from tap into a pint glass. It had little foam. There were prominent smells, but it wasn't too complex. Malt and grapefruity hops. The malts were tasty and the hops provided a pronounced bitterness, which I liked, but some may find them out of balance. It was a hot day and this brew was smooth and refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

The beer poured a delightfuly bright amber with a fine tan head. It had a wonderful floral hops aroma. Then I tasted it and it was simply very hoppy with little else going for it. The feel was light and oily. This was the one beer they weren't pushing the hoppiness of so I was pretty happy they had a couple of Old Dominion brews on hand.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

4.02/5  rDev +18.6%

Of Capitol City's offerings, Amber Waves was clearly the most assertive and solid beer. In trips to two different CC's, the Prohibition Porter wasn't on tap for either, so I should hold off judgement I suppose.

This amber gold ale starts with a light head and falls to a lace. Assertive malt and hop character in the nose with the hop still under the malt. However, in the taste, hop predomintes in this medium mouthfeel beer. Plenty of caramel mixed with the spicy hop to balance nicely. A very smooth, drinkable beer that isn't very complex but well done and satisfying. Next time I return to a CC, I'll be ordering this one first.

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%

Real nice reddish-brown presentation. I wasn't particularly excited to get a growler of an amber/red as I'm not a big fan of the style at all. I was surprisingly impressed. The strong hop flavor makes up for the thin, watery mouthful. This brew has a lot more of a kick than any beer of the style that I've had in the past. If it wasn't so thin, I'd think it was an IPA. Pretty impressive.

Capital City Amber Waves from Capitol City Brewing